Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hopefully they have realised that people are less inclined to hack/mod their hardware when archaic restrictions aren't in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll be amazed if Nintendo finally gets rid of region locks

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't used it (yet), but the Sony model seems to be the best possible scenario. You can play region locked games, you just need a PSN account for that region.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll be amazed if Nintendo finally gets rid of region locks

Finally? only the DSi and 3DS had region locks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

Hopefully they have realised that people are less inclined to hack/mod their hardware when archaic restrictions aren't in them.

Nah they're probably equally as likely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

And the WiiU and Wii.

Earlier consoles also had entirely physical region "locks" that were easily circumvented.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Speaking of which, I just completed my first playthrough of it:

Truly makes the original game obsolete in every regard. Nintendo should have cut DoctorM64 a check.

Were there any updates that fixed the invisible gravity suit?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

JetpackHowwy posted:

Were there any updates that fixed the invisible gravity suit?

That got fixed with the 1.1 update.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Every console they've made has had some form of region protection apart from the earlier handhelds and they decided that wasn't good enough and added it to them too.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

That got fixed with the 1.1 update.

Awesome. I've been holding off playing it when I read about that problem. Thanks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will break the tabs on your switch, if you want it to be region free.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Phantasium posted:

You'll actually have to mail it to some guy in San Francisco who will do it for $150.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JetpackHowwy posted:

Awesome. I've been holding off playing it when I read about that problem. Thanks.
Now this is one cool avatar right there.
https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Lodin

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Phantasium posted:

The EU SNES had active region protection, I guess because the carts were the same shape as the Super Famicom.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Lodin posted:

Now this is one cool avatar right there.
https://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Lodin

Hell yeah! Glad to see other people who know of Ufouria. :cool:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/808584359901069312

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Why PM? Why not AM? Why not Tuesday instead of Thursday? Why not a day and time that I will be home and not at work :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gorgolflox posted:

Why PM? Why not AM? Why not Tuesday instead of Thursday? Why not a day and time that I will be home and not at work :(

yeah 8 am is a great time for a conference

you'll just have to watch it....delayed!!

i can't wait to switch

edit: just realized it's 5 am in europe, what the gently caress nintendo!!!

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 13, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

That's the time I wake up for my job, finally a stream that works for my work schedule.

Nov 24, 2014

It's 2pm in Japan

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yooka-Laylee made the Switch from the Wii U.

Playtronic posted:

After many challenging months, we’re finally able to update you on the Wii U version of Yooka-Laylee and announce a number of developments.

The Playtonic team is sad to confirm that despite our best efforts and exploring every possible avenue, we’ve encountered unforeseen technical issues that unfortunately mean it will be impossible for us to release the game on Wii U as initially planned.

We can however confirm the exciting news that we are now working very closely with Nintendo to look to bring Yooka-Laylee to the upcoming Nintendo Switch. We’re looking forward to exploring the opportunity and will have more details to share early next year.

We’d like to apologise to those affected by this development and offer all Wii U backers the opportunity to move their pledge free-of-charge to any of the versions launching on April 11th (PS4, Xbox One, PC, Mac or Linux) or upgrade to the Nintendo Switch version when we announce further details in 2017.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
unforeseen technical issues? That's pretty funny

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gorgolflox posted:

Lit; "Getting the game out the door before the WiiU's declared dead."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kurtofan posted:

yeah 8 am is a great time for a conference

you'll just have to watch it....delayed!!

i can't wait to switch

5am in Central Europe, and who cares about that right-wing hellhole. It's 4am in Western Europe.

Seriously, who cares about Christmas, I want it to be 12th 13th January already.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

irlZaphod posted:

Seriously, who cares about Christmas, I want it to be 12th 13th January already.

"It's beginning to look a lot like January 12th. Switches on every screen, but the prettiest sight to see is the Nintendo that will be on your own front door."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Though I will be buying a switch. so :)

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

That's way too late and I'll probably be in bed for work by then :(

Wonder if I can try to get that Friday off...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Wonder if I can try to get that Friday off...

:backtowork: You shouldn't take a day off to watch a stream of something you can watch when you aren't busy with work

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what if you work at Nintendo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

what if you work at Nintendo

Then you should definitely not skip your job since if people at nintendo skip their jobs to view the nintendo stream, the nintendo stream may very well not happen!!!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I hope Bill Trinen gets fired again, I really enjoy those stupid gags.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gorgolflox posted:

:(

I mean, I'm definitely getting a switch and I suppose this is better because I'll be playing it on a new system, but somehow still :(

Dr Cheeto posted:

I hope Bill Trinen gets fired again, I really enjoy those stupid gags.

Me too. Just thinking about that cheers me up somewhat. Don't let me down, Nintendo!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I prefer the company of Shibata instead.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Lit; "Getting the game out the door before the WiiU's declared dead."

Lit; everyone who was banking on licensing the UE4 Wii U code from the Bloodstained team??

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

:backtowork: You shouldn't take a day off to watch a stream of something you can watch when you aren't busy with work

Preorders always go up immediately after an announcement stream and sell out like half an hour later

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
*streams end* And by the way, the Switch is out RIGHT NOW

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

*streams end* And by the way, the Switch is out RIGHT NOW

Preorders always go up right after announcement streams like this don't be a loving moron

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

zolthorg posted:

Preorders always go up right after announcement streams like this don't be a loving moron

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Are you incredulous at my specific choice of the word "right after" or "immediately"?

I go to work 1 hour after that stream >starts<, let alone the fact that it'll probably be an hour long, if the preorders go up like an hour or two after that, or four hours after that, pretty much any of those times i'm hosed

If it was in the morning like absolutely every other stream they do, i'd be able to just stay awake after my shift and get an order in.

Its a common practice to do it in the middle of the day as such as well so online retailer sites don't go down by doing it after prime time / 5 pm est or pst

• Locked thread