Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I don't know if this was said upthread, but when you click on a generic Treeman Lord on the campaign map, he totally booms "Arboles!"

Spanish for "trees"

edit: angry tree snipe

Vlex fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do you still have to recruit Kahzrak to do Fall of Man? I remember he was very annoying to recruit, but I thought your victory objectives used to mention him explicitly and now I don't see it.

Kahzrak is the lamest Beast LL and the only good thing about him is his starting pack of Minotaurs. :colbert:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Deified Data posted:

Haven't finished a welf campaign yet but I'm itching to burn the world with Morghur. Drown the world in chaos spawn. How does his start stack up to the other LL's?

Morghur might be the best LL in the game tbh. He doesn't die and does poo poo loads of damage. He can spawn four units of Chaos Spawn in one fight with his full set of items and is literally invulnerable to damage 90% of the time and doesn't break. He was the last guy left against Karl Franz and several Empire units including flagellants and Sons of Sigmar and slaughtered them all and was at 2/3 hp when the fight ended with 300 kills. Not being able to use Minotaurs loving sucks though.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Fangz posted:

Oh totally this. I would pay for a DLC that was just pre-battle speeches.

As long as all the dwarf ones are this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I was just finishing up the wood elf final GC battle when the game crashed. What a buzz kill. Also, Durthu is just insane and may be my new favorite LL.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like having to pull Franz off some remote crusade so he can stomp some beastman/elf/chaos upstart, and Morghur is just another horde for Franz to stomp which is always welcome. I like having to bring Franz home once in a while.

By the way, with how good LLs in expacs are it's very prudent to get some of those mods that give the starting LLs big-rear end boosts to keep pace. Of course, Gelt is always useless.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Such a shame because he's full of personality

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

PerilPastry posted:

What features do you guys feel would increase your enjoyment of the game the most?

Battle speeches would certainly be at the top of my list of stuff I miss from earlier titles.

I could be wrong but I think if you zoom in on your general at the start of the battle and don't move them they give a little speech.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Being able to rampage through Norsca as the Wood Elves is just satisfying. "How do you like it when someone walks into your home and takes all your poo poo, motherfuckers?!"

Knocking out the Skaeling and Varg is more satisfying than killing the everfailure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wish they'd make beastmen hordes with legendary lords be bigger deals for humans and elfs. a single stack that declares war on everyone is such a wet fart because garrisons wipe them out.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jokes posted:

Wish they'd make beastmen hordes with legendary lords be bigger deals for humans and elfs. a single stack that declares war on everyone is such a wet fart because garrisons wipe them out.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=819127007&searchtext=

This is a cool mod for making Beastmen a bigger deal. It adds more starting stacks to AI Beastmen, an early game mini Beastmen invasion and a second one that triggers at the same time as Chaos. I tried it out and it's the first time I've ever been really threatened by Beastmen.

It's pretty compatible with everything and doesn't trigger if you're playing Chaos or Beastmen

SickZip fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 20, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I think one of the mods I use helps beast men a lot too. maybe the ai recruitment one. I've had stacks pop out at like turn 30 with bestigors, centigors with gws, and tons of minotaurs that are actually pretty threatening

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 20, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do Gorebulls count as Minotaurs for the purposes of Morghur's upkeep penalty on minos? How would I tell? I've had this question about other units before, it was particularly relevant in Skarsnik's campaign.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I just started a co-op campaign with my buddy and we are doing wood elves. Managed to ambush one of the wood elf factions and claimed their city, the other wood elf faction isn't being so nice.

Also holy cow are Dryads (tree people) not tanks. Marched up my dryads like i do with vampire counts and watched them die terrible deaths to wood elf archers.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Durthu being the great rampaging tree monster wizard who will kill you all, army be damned is pretty great, but Orion might actually be my new favorite legendary Lord. He's just so fast and versatile, I can be all over the field with him swapping between ranged and melee attacks and dropping free aoe damage everywhere. He's a fun LL to micro with.

Morghur also owns of course. Pretty much all the LLs after Beastmen came out have been great, really.

And then we have loving Gelt, blah. I'm secretly hoping CA updates at least some of the vanilla Lords for the Old World Edition but I'm not feeling super optimistic about it.

Edit: Dryads are honestly pretty crap, they seem to underperform even relative to their stats, and their stats aren't that good. One of the reasons I've come to like starting Orion over Dorthu is that Orion just has a more fun early-midgame, with most of Durthu's fun units being T5 stuff you won't get for ages.

madmac fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 20, 2016

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Deified Data posted:

Do Gorebulls count as Minotaurs for the purposes of Morghur's upkeep penalty on minos? How would I tell? I've had this question about other units before, it was particularly relevant in Skarsnik's campaign.

They don't seem to, my minotaurs said around 400 upkeep cost in the recruit list while the gorebull was only costing me ~225 per turn, and iirc they normally have similar upkeep costs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dryads are for vanguard deployment to protect your waywatchers and deepwood scouts.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Dryads are great as line infantry against big garrisons because they cause fear. I remember several battles against big crooked moon garrisons that looked like they'd be close, but the gobbos just broke so quickly because of my pissed-off tree spirits eating their faces that I won with minimal losses. They're not a substitute for Eternal Guard as your main line troops, but they do a great job of freaking other units out.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

sassassin posted:

Dryads are for vanguard deployment to protect your waywatchers and deepwood scouts.

??? They can't protect themselves much less when isolated from the main force.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Baron Porkface posted:

??? They can't protect themselves much less when isolated from the main force.

They're ablative armor to stop things from getting to units you care about. And they cause fear which helps rout a lot of the faster/vanguard stuff.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

terrorist ambulance posted:

I think one of the mods I use helps beast men a lot too. maybe the ai recruitment one. I've had stacks pop out at like turn 30 with bestigors, centigors with gws, and tons of minotaurs that are actually pretty threatening

If its the AI and Building one, it does make a big difference in terms of Beastmen building better stacks and having the random event that spawns them generate stronger and better compositions

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I haven't played WE a lot but I had luck with dryads as a front line with a ton of support archers and a healing wizard. Dryads have big formations but bunch up really well for easy AOE healing and cause fear

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
They work ok but objectively Eternal Guard are better at actually holding a line against enemies that can actually fight back.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
The thing that nags me about picking Durthu is that your forest spirit units don't get as good of a scaling as elf units do. Eternal Guard and Wardancers start out decent and turn out amazing by the end of the game with techs while Dryads really don't keep up. Treekin are good but don't really go anywhere either, and Treemen are very good but then we're in the lategame and you're probably using a ton of Elves anyways.

The monster units are a bit iffy too, they don't get any scaling besides redskills, which helps but they still feel like they need just a tiny smidge more.

Its ironic that the mounted version of the forest dragon is far superiour to the normal recruited monster when previously one of the usual problems are that mounted dragons fare not so well and make your lord feel noodly.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really don't care for wardancers. something about unshielded line infantry rubs me the wrong way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

jokes posted:

I really don't care for wardancers. something about unshielded line infantry rubs me the wrong way.

The spear variant gets a buff which gives them missile resistance at least.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm not really liking most flying mounts after the last patch, at least for single player. The hitbox change was good for multiplayer and the extra micro it definitely causes isn't that big of a pain when your stack isn't even full but when you have 40 units on the map lords/heroes on stuff like manticores or pegasus are just dead the second you look away. The amount of health even a single volley can take away is just insane and they idle in the air rather than on the ground when waiting for new orders.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gejnor posted:

The thing that nags me about picking Durthu is that your forest spirit units don't get as good of a scaling as elf units do. Eternal Guard and Wardancers start out decent and turn out amazing by the end of the game with techs while Dryads really don't keep up. Treekin are good but don't really go anywhere either, and Treemen are very good but then we're in the lategame and you're probably using a ton of Elves anyways.

The monster units are a bit iffy too, they don't get any scaling besides redskills, which helps but they still feel like they need just a tiny smidge more.

Its ironic that the mounted version of the forest dragon is far superiour to the normal recruited monster when previously one of the usual problems are that mounted dragons fare not so well and make your lord feel noodly.

I'm kind of meh on treekin. They work better at holding the line compared to other faction's big guys because of all the armor, but they don't work quite as well at smashing enemy formations like you get out of minos (though minos make everything look lovely by comparison) or spawn or crypt horrors or even trolls. The one thing they have going for them is that they stand up to focused fire slightly better, though rifles greatswords and spears and anything with fire damage will still ruin their day.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Gejnor posted:

Super dumb question, can Durthu build Eternal Guard without needing amber?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm kind of meh on treekin. They work better at holding the line compared to other faction's big guys because of all the armor, but they don't work quite as well at smashing enemy formations like you get out of minos (though minos make everything look lovely by comparison) or spawn or crypt horrors or even trolls. The one thing they have going for them is that they stand up to focused fire slightly better, though rifles greatswords and spears and anything with fire damage will still ruin their day.

They are definately more about holding a line than busting through one like all the other monstrous infantry, and they do that job very very well.

I still rate them better than Greenskin Trolls, way waaay better.

Exmond posted:

Super dumb question, can Durthu build Eternal Guard without needing amber?

Yes, he can build Eternal Guard (both variants), Glade Guard (all three variants), Deepwood Scouts (same here, both types)and Wild Riders (who come after Glade Riders, the ranged mounted cav, this makes little sense) without spending any Amber.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
How do people build & use their Glade Lords? Of the two battle skills I prefer Call of the Woods. The + armour and +melee defense skills feel like they make the WElves' units a lot less fragile.
But what's the consensus for the character skills? Prey of Anath Raema seems like a no brainer to go for. But how important is the melee line if I eventually want them mounted on a dragon and go dive into enemies?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

How do people build & use their Glade Lords? Of the two battle skills I prefer Call of the Woods. The + armour and +melee defense skills feel like they make the WElves' units a lot less fragile.
But what's the consensus for the character skills? Prey of Anath Raema seems like a no brainer to go for. But how important is the melee line if I eventually want them mounted on a dragon and go dive into enemies?

Depends on what you want to do i imagine, the melee personal tree gives such amazing buffs it'd make your glade lord a monster once he/she gets their dragon mount. +30 armour, +30% weapon damage +15 melee attack/defense aint exactly something to sneeze at.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a favorite mod to spice up the old LLs?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have a favorite mod to spice up the old LLs?

Cataph's Magic is pretty decent. It buffs up the magic and items of the LLs with out going into Molay's crazy poo poo.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Molay's was awesome, hth

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rygar201 posted:

Molay's was awesome, hth

It really was. It was broken and amazing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I had a fun Gelt playthrough thanks to Molay's. That's how good it was.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

I had a fun Gelt playthrough thanks to Molay's. That's how good it was.

Yeah, Molays was fun to a point.

But it was also hot bullshit. I mean the mod started when Molay took a look at Manfred at release and said "He just isn't strong enough" and went off further into the deep end from there. I think I remember my Manfred having something like +30 Vampiric corruption with +20 in adjacent provinces by the end. On top of one shotting lords and 1:1000ing.

The main thing Cartaph's does is tone down the crazy item bonuses so you can't get poo poo like +200% Aura size.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Karl Franz on Deathclaw could easily cover all the map you'd feasibly need for a standard empires army with his aura, it was hilarious and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

jokes posted:

Wardancers aren't line infantry, they're super fragile murderballs that go in on the flanks or once your line infantry have engaged.

• Locked thread