Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's because his dialogue is supposed to be a manzai comedy act with whoever he's speaking to, and they translated everything literally instead of it being a bunch of puns and jokes and so you have nonsense.

I figured it was something like that. I kinda enjoy it as it is though, its just totally bizarre and funnier than if somebody tried to just write a bunch of bad English puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I don't think there is anyone in this thread that doesn't have a pile of half finished or barely started RPGs. I started weeding out a few from my collection based on whether the setting/characters in the opening cutscene and first bits of gameplay grabbed me in anyway. Bye bye Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, for example. I have more interesting Pokemon clones to play (and better DQM games too).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One of these days I'm going to marathon Shadow Hearts, plowing through Koudelka and the weirdly horror themed PS2 game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Anyway on the topic of old RPGs: does Morrowind count for the purposes of this thread? Because I'm currently playing that for the first time ever and am actually having a lot of fun.

I think a 15 year old game is safely retro, yes. (Not to be the retro police since nobody likes them.)

The talk of unfinished RPG's is making me think of RPG's I will never go back to. Magna Carta (what is up with that name?) and Spectral Tower (gently caress doing a 10,000 floor dungeon; and for those not aware of this game, that number is not comedic exaggeration) top that list. The worst RPG I've played to completion has to be Blue Dragon; I swear I spent the last two-thirds of the game going, "Well, there can't be that much more of this stupid thing left so I might as well just finish."

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You have my condolences for finishing Blue Dragon. :(

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Random Stranger posted:

The worst RPG I've played to completion has to be Blue Dragon; I swear I spent the last two-thirds of the game going, "Well, there can't be that much more of this stupid thing left so I might as well just finish."

Isn't Blue Dragon also like one of the longer JRPGs from that era? It's probably shorter than Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia, but I doubt it's as enjoyable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ChaosArgate posted:

You have my condolences for finishing Blue Dragon. :(

This haunts my loving dreams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl3lMyyMzas

Mak0rz posted:

Isn't Blue Dragon also like one of the longer JRPGs from that era? It's probably shorter than Lost Odyssey or Tales of Vesperia, but I doubt it's as enjoyable.

I want to say I put about 70 hours into it. Around hour 20 to 25 I thought I was nearly done. :negative:

Edit: I plugged my 360 in to check my save game. 75 hours, 17 minutes, 4 seconds. :smithicide: I don't think I put that much time into Persona games.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 24, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I need new controllers for my PS2 and one of those HDMI converter boxes, but definitely need to finish Chrono Cross some day(I'm probably one of the few people on this site who legitimately likes that game)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That's like the only good thing about that game though!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I still can't get over the fact that this is the same voice behind Smoke on the Water and Space Truckin' :allears:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

drrockso20 posted:

I need new controllers for my PS2 and one of those HDMI converter boxes, but definitely need to finish Chrono Cross some day(I'm probably one of the few people on this site who legitimately likes that game)

What's the best way to get PS2 games looking alright on modern TV's anyway? I've thought about digging mine up from my parents but I'm pretty sure my disc drive was busted in it. I guess I could repair it or I wouldn't mind doing a hard drive mod or something if that's possible.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I am suddenly glad that I never bothered playing Blue Dragon Plus and instead gave it to a friend. Though that's the forgotten DS only sequel and not the game everyone's talking about.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There were even two Blue Dragon DS games!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

What's the best way to get PS2 games looking alright on modern TV's anyway? I've thought about digging mine up from my parents but I'm pretty sure my disc drive was busted in it. I guess I could repair it or I wouldn't mind doing a hard drive mod or something if that's possible.

If you have an actual PS2, you get component cables for it and make sure to do the special routine required for the few games which support progressive scan (you'll have to look it up per-game, some games it's a menu option, others it's like you have to hold down specific buttons as it boots).

A fat PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility (ideally CECHA or CECHB model) will do HDMI directly, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I've got a new copy of Chrono Cross sitting around here and I should probably give it a fair shake. I'm not a Chrono Trigger purist so the fact that it's a barely attached sequel isn't going to bother me, though the fact that Square was getting really lazy with their RPG design around that time probably will.

Turbinosamente posted:

I am suddenly glad that I never bothered playing Blue Dragon Plus and instead gave it to a friend. Though that's the forgotten DS only sequel and not the game everyone's talking about.

Everytime I see that game on store shelf, I give it the stink eye.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Spectral Tower (gently caress doing a 10,000 floor dungeon; and for those not aware of this game, that number is not comedic exaggeration)

:shittypop:

is that dungeon, like, the whole game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:shittypop:

is that dungeon, like, the whole game?

Ha ha ha, no, that would be silly. You have to finish the 10 floor, 20 floor, 100 floor, and 1000 floor dungeons first.

I have finished the 100 floor dungeon and gotten about 70 floors into the 1000 floor dungeon before I said, "Do I really want to be doing this?" (and considering I've just been banging on about finishing Blue Dragon, that's saying something). The game is also terrible in other respects, that's just the shining pinnacle of crappiness that makes it stand head and shoulders about the rest.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Ha ha ha, no, that would be silly. You have to finish the 10 floor, 20 floor, 100 floor, and 1000 floor dungeons first.

I have finished the 100 floor dungeon and gotten about 70 floors into the 1000 floor dungeon before I said, "Do I really want to be doing this?" (and considering I've just been banging on about finishing Blue Dragon, that's saying something). The game is also terrible in other respects, that's just the shining pinnacle of crappiness that makes it stand head and shoulders about the rest.

I think a key to most post-SNES RPG's is to not attempt to achieve 100% completion (or at least be willing to cut your losses trying if the unfun starts). Even if you have the time the grind wears very thin in older age. I loved the hell out of BOTW but I DID hit a point after I completed the 3rd guardian on a blind playthrough where I went "yeah, I kind of want to tidy up a few things and then beat this game already". I still occasionally boot it up and just go to anywhere on the map that looks empty and enjoy that in short bursts (and am still very keen on the DLC content next week). But some people really didn't approach the game correctly, like at all.

I don't even think I've hit 100 hours yet, or ever will.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

univbee posted:

I think a key to most post-SNES RPG's is to not attempt to achieve 100% completion (or at least be willing to cut your losses trying if the unfun starts). Even if you have the time the grind wears very thin in older age. I loved the hell out of BOTW but I DID hit a point after I completed the 3rd guardian on a blind playthrough where I went "yeah, I kind of want to tidy up a few things and then beat this game already". I still occasionally boot it up and just go to anywhere on the map that looks empty and enjoy that in short bursts (and am still very keen on the DLC content next week). But some people really didn't approach the game correctly, like at all.

I don't even think I've hit 100 hours yet, or ever will.

People gave Square poo poo for filling the space of multiple CDs with fancy cinematics instead of more gameplay or whatever but if the alternative was a ten thousand floor grindfest then I'm glad they did it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

People gave Square poo poo for filling the space of multiple CDs with fancy cinematics instead of more gameplay or whatever but if the alternative was a ten thousand floor grindfest then I'm glad they did it.

The data weight of a game has kind-of been meaningless since CD-ROM took off since you can always have super high-quality textures or uncompressed audio and poo poo like that, the actual game data minus cutscenes was only something like 200 megs (part of me would be curious about a theoretical 128 meg N64 version of the game, maybe something like that would have been feasible but still far too expensive). Most would agree that Skyrim, for all its faults, was a pretty epic game in terms of content/scale, yet at launch all of that game fit in 4 gigs on PC, my first assumption was something had hosed up with the download since single-player 5-hour games were regularly closer to 10 gigs at this stage.

And it's definitely possible for a game (or anything, like a book, movie or TV series) to be "too long" without there being any problem as such with an individual piece, not to mention that developer resources are finite and you gotta ship something eventually. Like, I think it would conceptually be pretty cool if in this modern era there was some 50-gig game that was an SNES RPG (without actually employing cinematics, voice acting, or anything else that would artificially inflate the size), with branching paths and all of that fun stuff, but so so many gamers wouldn't get through it (so few even get through our current normal-length games, based on trophies/cheevs), and good luck getting a dev team working on it for that long.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The first enemy you fight in Blue Dragon is a pile of coiled poo poo. I don't know what Toriyama's fetish with poo is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What a good cable or converter for running HDMI on a component CRT? I want to run my PSTV on my CRT when playing the PS1 games I have on it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I've beat Blue Dragon. And Cosmic Fantasy II. Twice.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3einao_mJE

Anyone want to see a hotglued NES?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

That dude's channel is incredible. He can solder like a beast and he drat near knows every retro console down to the pinouts on every chip. I wanna be like him when I grow up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I could not find which one was regarded as the definitive version but the one or two results I found from google were that the RPGe translation patch for the SNES is the best one, followed by the GBA one, and the PS1 version in last place. This coming from a guy who played all 3 translations. I know there is a patch called DeJap as well but I think that's the one from the 90s so it might not be as refined as the RPGe one. I do not know any of this for sure, though.

Speaking as someone who's played the fan translation, PSX version, and GBA version, the GBA version is definitely the way to go then. The fan translation wasn't cringingly bad like the PSX version's translation (in which one of the main characters talks in a bad pirate voice the entire game), and I don't remember it being wannabe-edgy like a lot of other fan translations, but the GBA version's translation is excellent, and the content they added to the GBA version (including a couple of new classes) is all good as well.

Even taking into account my massive nostalgia bias toward FF6 and 7, I want to call 5 the best game in the series. It's just really fun, and you'll probably never play it the same way twice.

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Due to limited funds as a child and not caring I skipped over all the SNES RPGs and have only played through some of Super Mario RPG, please suggest where I should start!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

EnvyJ posted:

Due to limited funds as a child and not caring I skipped over all the SNES RPGs and have only played through some of Super Mario RPG, please suggest where I should start!

Chrono Trigger.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EnvyJ posted:

The rest of SMRPG

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Tecmo's Secret of the Stars

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Tecmo's Secret of the Stars

I fixated on the word Tecmo there and now I want an RPG starring Bo Jackson. :thurman:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

EnvyJ posted:

TeaJay posted:

Chrono Trigger.

Also Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, but it's essential that you use a ROM with the bugfix patch. Prioritize this even over ChronoTrigger if you like puzzles a whole lot.

I'd recommend reading a Let's Play of Earthbound rather than actually playing it yourself, unless you have a lot of patience for grinding and strict inventory limits.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EnvyJ posted:

final Fantasy VII

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

EnvyJ posted:

Chrono Trigger is probably the most playable SNES RPG. Final Fantasy 3 is really easy to get into and play through. Beyond that...

Nothing wrong with FF2 and FF5, but 2 has more rough edges (and I'm not just talking about the graphics) and 5 has a better version than the fan translation as we've been talking about.
The Breathe of Fire series are very paint by numbers. If you're into the genre you'll probably enjoy them but not something I'd say people have to play.
I've never managed to finish Lufia though the games have plenty of fans.
I have never been a fan of Earthbound despite so many people swearing by it.
Do not play 7th Saga or Brainlord.

And everything else I can think of are either PC ports (which you probably do not want), Japan only and I can't think on the quality of the fan translation (DQ5 and Tales of Phantasia, both of which have perfectly good portable ports in English anyway), or are in other genres (if you say Link to the Past is an RPG I will break your legs).

Speaking of weird pseudo-RPG, Japan only, SFC games, I've recently got a couple of weird ones which involve dodgeball and managing a sumo stable. I'm having trouble penetrating both of them, though. I can't even hit a single opponent in the dodgeball game (the team has stats and there's some kind of lengthy storyline involved), and figuring out what to do in the sumo game is tricky (it's like Monster Rancher with really large men).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 24, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
What about Dragon Quest 5 and 6? Are their fan translations?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

mariooncrack posted:

What about Dragon Quest 5 and 6? Are their fan translations?

Both are much better played in their DS versions due to added features and altered mechanics.

Edit: I can't give DS DQ5 enough credit. It's a fantastic game. The SNES one is less so.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 24, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Phantasy Star 4 is the only turn based RPG I've had the patience to finish to completion. That's saying a lot. I fizzled out playing dozens of others.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'd say Mystic Quest is worth playing. It's baby's first RPG but there's zero grinding and the music rocks.

I also think Shadowrun is worth playing as it's the most unique RPG on the console from a design standpoint. It can get hard and obtuse at points but my rule for playing basically any RPG pre-PS2 era is with a podcast on and strategy guide on my phone.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

al-azad posted:

This is why I find Tales games to be easily pick-up-and-play. They all have some kind of in-depth diary of events and characters to catch you up. My short but growing list of "mandated RPG features"
1. Save anywhere
2. Monsters that die in one-hit should either be auto-defeated or run away
3. Recap my adventure somewhere
4. All cutscenes should be skippable
5. All text should be instant

Battles should have a speed up mode and/or be extremely fast in the first place like dragon quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EnvyJ posted:

Finish super Mario rpg

Play Illusion of Gaia if you want something short and easy to get into. It is very similar to A Link to the Past and it's one of my favorite games.

For a true RPG I'd recommend Chrono Trigger. Though I think Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG of all time, Chrono Trigger is a close second and is way easier to get into. Not to mention you can beat it in half the time of FFVI.

The hype surrounding Earthbound is legit. The game is fantastic from start to finish. But I'd recommend something a bit easier to start with before going straight to that.

• Locked thread