Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Kill of the Week: the ol' hanging upside down on a rope head-stab.

Michonne's such a terrible leader.
By now this group should have put together their own Whisperer team to go out and steer walkers. At least get expendable Neegan suited up and send him out to give it a try.

ps not the greatest zombie movie ever made but seeing The Odd Family in a theatre full of horror fans was So Much Fun. See it if you get a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtxg8xmf5s

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"How do we make this show more lame,"
"We add CW autotune music"
"You've been pitching that all season"
"Well, what's your big idea"
".......How much is the music?"

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Come on, guys. It's not that bad. It's better than last season.

Right?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Those music montages were so dumb

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I watched season 9 for some reason and it's funny how they have tried to step back from the endless flow of assault rifles and ammunition that was seasons 7/8. It's jarring going from "Literally everyone has an assault rifle" to "Maybe one person has a dusty revolver under their bed from the before times." I think the most guns i've seen was in that bridge building scene where Sanctuary people tried to revolt and like 5 background extras had a few guns.

I guess there isn't as much tension in a Whisperers herd getting effortlessly gunned down by the five year stockpile of ammunition Eugene would have created. Everyone needs to get in there dual wielding knives and train to be shield and spear infantry.

Seriously this is like the Falling Skies thing where they discovered that melting down alien tech gave them bullets that could actually damage and destroy the invincible alien robot tech. After the season finale where everyone was celebrating because they could fight back now it was never mentioned again and one of the writers admitted it was a mistake to give the protagonists such an advantage.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

more pointless and contrived drama inside Alexandria, cool, cool

so with Michonne et al setting off to oceanland or whatever, do we think this is how they get Danai Gurira off the show, having her set sail on those random boats that magically appeared?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Incredibly boring episode last night, but I didn't think last week's was as boring as people are saying so maybe it's me.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

So far I have liked every ep this season but the one from last night was very boring.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Kill of the week:

No not that boring mushy stuff.

Kid swinging a katana, that's more like it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Writing out Dwight to move him to Fear the Walking Dead was a big mistake. In the comic, Dwight butting heads with Rick over the Whisperer threat was some good drama, as both grow more and more paranoid, and they could have subbed out Rick for Michonne for TV, like how Rick's character arcs are being divided up among the rest of the characters.

Austin Amelio was some great casting there. I haven't seen Season 5 of Fear yet, but I've not heard good things at all.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OldMemes posted:

Writing out Dwight to move him to Fear the Walking Dead was a big mistake. In the comic, Dwight butting heads with Rick over the Whisperer threat was some good drama, as both grow more and more paranoid, and they could have subbed out Rick for Michonne for TV, like how Rick's character arcs are being divided up among the rest of the characters.

Austin Amelio was some great casting there. I haven't seen Season 5 of Fear yet, but I've not heard good things at all.

watch the first two, middle two and last two. you'll be sweet.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Seems like the writers had something to say about Negan stans LOL.
Even so...the reformed, new & improved man has been discontinued; classic Negan is back for the Kill of the Week:

Hey lady no need to worry, I'm here to help and definitely not some sort of apocalypse-shaken psycho!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

last night's ep was the best of this season so far, Negan telling off his idiot fanboy then murking the gently caress outta him was pretty good

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Johnny Truant posted:

last night's ep was the best of this season so far, Negan telling off his idiot fanboy then murking the gently caress outta him was pretty good

But when Camp Judgey finds the bodies, it'll look like Negan's dun lost his marbles again and gone back to the dark side.

I

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I thought the episode was a bit boring. The Negan bits were pretty good, apart from the nut tapping thing, that took way too long.

Also, did Sadiq recommend hypnosis for a tumor?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chatty Negan is back! Hot dam it's been missed. I'm starting to feel bad for Eugene too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

John F Bennett posted:

Also, did Sadiq recommend hypnosis for a tumor?

I got the impression he was talking about palliative care, but you never know with this show

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Are you guys still watching this on mondays? i probably should have checked earlier before nearly posting spoilers

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really enjoying the writing and direction of Angela Kang. People and events from the past are referenced, and this episode was like 'a day in the life' for several characters and each storyline smoothly transitioned from daylight to nighttime.
Eugene's desperation for female companionship is evident even when the ham radio signal bounces off the ionosphere.

Kill(er Move) Of The Week: Kneel-gan turns on the post-apocalyptic psycho cult follower charm.

Kill Of The Week:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Who gives Neegan his stylish haircuts?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I didn't even know walking dead was on

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Last couple eps, especially the Negan bits, have been good.

Negan gets out, has a former child Savior follow him, and rejects the kid trying to get him to go full Negan, especially after seeing the kid only understood a twisted version of Savior philosophy and history. . He shows he has changed, saving a mother and her son, talking to the boy they find like a father, offering to take them to Hilltop. Then this twisted fomer/wannabe Savior kills them, and Negan realizes he can't escape his past. After all, he essentially made that kid, someone raised under Negan's society who has grown up twisted and broken. Negan kills him, but sheds his new reformed persona, powering up with his old items of BAT and LEATHER JACKET and goes to confront the Whisperers.

And really, that was totally necessary. The new namby-pamby Rick loving Negan could not go against Alpha, It had to be the old Swaggering Negan right out of Sanctuary, with Lucille and sarcasm and just not giving a gently caress--like he would have if the Whisperers had shown up when he was in charge. Negan had to reactivate his dark side.

I've been rewatching Dark Shadows and reading the fantastic Dark Shadow Every Day blog. The writer puts forth the idea that Barnabus Coillins is basically like Godzilla-a monster who will destroy Tokyo but will also protect Japan againt other monsters. Some threats are so monsteous, like Ghidorah or the Leviathans on DS, or Alpha, that you need to send another monster against them. And that's what Negan is doing here.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Negan and Beta montage was pretty drat good, Drrl and Crrl was okay

Siddiq, bro doctor and Rosita is still grade A TWD manufactured bullshit drama, like the doc said that 7-8 people had gotten the bug and they just.. did nothing? :psyduck: and Rosita is now literally just an accessory for one of the make characters associated with her(tbf that's mostly been the case for her this entire show but this is just gross)

Eugene's radio hotline was so fuckin cringeworthy, I'd bet money he's hallucinating it, which they already did back in season what, 3? 4?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
goodness of walking dead episode is equal to how much negan time there is

this one was a good one

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

This should just become the Negan Show.

Just Negan visiting different communities and talking about his balls.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

John F Bennett posted:

This should just become the Negan Show.

Just Negan visiting different communities and talking about his balls.

You could drop Negan into any aspect of the Walking Dead multiverse and it would immediately be 10x better. Imagine Negan vs The Governor, Negan on Fear The Walking Dead, etc.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Even dumb bro doctor guy makes the show better for the sheer fact he isn't melancholy and "abloobloo" all the time

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
2 episodes into the season now and still watching. Not sure what's going on but this Samantha Morton is a pretty loving captivating actress.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!

Tortuga posted:

2 episodes into the season now and still watching. Not sure what's going on but this Samantha Morton is a pretty loving captivating actress.

Indeed inject more Negan and Alpha interaction into my veins please.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

the wonder bread factory still going strong in the apocalypse, I see. the laziest poo poo ever. the just got a drat bag of bread from the store lol

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

big trivia FAIL posted:

the wonder bread factory still going strong in the apocalypse, I see. the laziest poo poo ever. the just got a drat bag of bread from the store lol

You have a profound lack of faith in Carol's breadmaking abilities when in Housewife mode...

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yet another booooooring episode

Siddiq's PTSD is dumb as gently caress, and bro doctor bring a secret whisperer is impressively bad

I mean someone called that poo poo first ep he popped up, didn't they?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Much of that episode felt like watching a soap opera - The Days of Our Undead or maybe All My Zombies.

Carl died to save Siddiq. Oh well.

Hard to figure who's the bigger Alexandrian saboteur, Dante or Carol.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 18, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

Are we supposed to know who the bro doctor is?

I'm guessing he's gonna be a whisperer or something?

I don't think I've seen the last three or so episodes but lol good to hear they telegraphed that so hard

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

I don't think I've seen the last three or so episodes but lol good to hear they telegraphed that so hard

lol, i knew it

this show's watchability really does correlate directly with how much Alpha/Negan time there is in the episode

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Was Gamma set up to fail so Dante's job would go easier? Because this episode painted two very different pictures about how competent Alpha is at information gathering.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Dante. D. Delta. I'd almost put money on it as his "name".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DarklyDreaming posted:

Was Gamma set up to fail so Dante's job would go easier? Because this episode painted two very different pictures about how competent Alpha is at information gathering.

Alpha must be using multi-pronged strategies. She doesn't want to kill all the Alexandrians and would rather they lose faith in their community and join her willingly. OTOH she's poisoned their water supply.

Carol is also kind of confusing; she's both methodical and reckless. Anyway,...time for the Kill of the Week.

Runner up: Check out Sigma murdering this sandwich

KOTW goes to Thora Birch as Gamma:

No weapon? No problem.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Binary Logic posted:

Carol is also kind of confusing; she's both methodical and reckless.

That part actually makes sense. Time and again she's proven to be the biggest badass of the apocalypse, give her a gun with three bullets and a pocketknife and she can fight her way out of anything. However she's also never been this kind of blind swinging angry before. Sure Henry wasn't the first child to die in her care, but by the time Alpha cut off his head he was in her life longer than Sophia if my math is right. She thought her murderin' days were over and it was just a long, happy life of rebuilding civilization and raising a family ahead of her, instead that happened.

Basically she knows better than anybody how to take down Alpha and her horde, but she stopped caring about her own survival and the people around her a season and a half ago. Which is having predictable results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Oh, next week is the season finale

Huh