Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The suckee could sue under unjust enrichment to get his money back from non sucker. If no money changed hands then there is no contract because enforcing it would be against public policy and you can not get specific performance of a service contract usually.

Suckee might be able to show some reliance damages but that's doubtful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

areyoucontagious posted:

Yes, thank you. Did you not see the humor in a contract involving my friend sucking my balls resulting in the potential for real, monetary damages?

Given that we had to make the assumption that sex work is legal to get to that point, no, it's a standard contracts question.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
If the suck-er was a (legal) prostitute, would the UCC apply?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

joat mon posted:

If the suck-er was a (legal) prostitute, would the UCC apply?

UCC doesn't apply to contracts for services, so no.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Kalman posted:

UCC doesn't apply to contracts for services, so no.

Unless you find a court whose flag lacks a fringe.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like if Suckee spent $800.00 driving to Sucker's based on the reasonable expectation of the event happening, and it did not, and Suckee communicated to Sucker that he was going to have to spend $800 to drive to Sucker's, I could maybe see a small claims court awarding Suckee $800.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I think it's all fine, as long as the cause of action is Loss of Consortium

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I thought this was contract law, not divorce court

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Loss of Consortium is a tort remedy. Hey-oo

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Tortfeasor? But I hardly knew her!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

Like if Suckee spent $800.00 driving to Sucker's based on the reasonable expectation of the event happening, and it did not, and Suckee communicated to Sucker that he was going to have to spend $800 to drive to Sucker's, I could maybe see a small claims court awarding Suckee $800.

I would say your method of determining damages is borderline fallacious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So . . . what you are saying is that they are borderline meritorious? Great that's all I need.

Think of this

Suckee: Please suck my dick for $1,000.00.
Sucker: OK, but you have to drive her.
Suckee: It will cost me $800 to drive to your house.
Sucker: Do it and I'll suck for $1,000
Suckee: Ok, I am going to do it. I will pay $800 to drive to your house.
Sucker: OK.
~ days pass ~
Suckee: OK I am here I spent $800 to drive here.
Sucker: No deal go away.

EDIT

ARGH CONFUSED BY A PUN

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 7, 2014

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

joat mon posted:

I would say your method of determining damages is borderline fellatious.
There ya go.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

euphronius posted:

So . . . what you are saying is that they are borderline meritorious? Great that's all I need.

You can talk about convincing someone about how your argument is meritorious all you want, but this hypothetical is not about your abilities as a cunning linguist.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks. I'm not actively being sued (yet) but I understand the risk.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 7, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Oh My Science posted:

I just quit my job, without giving notice, and my employer threatened to sue me for "incomplete projects" which were never explicitly part of my contract / hiring package. Having never encountered this before I don't know how to respond to this.

Some key points taken from the OP:

AreYouIn posted:

This thread is for your questions that involve legal advice of some sort. This thread is very helpful for explaining general legal concepts that might apply to your circumstances.
This thread is not very helpful for evaluating whether you have a legal claim or not, although the law goons have done some of this in the past. This thread is also not useful for telling you what papers to file in court, or how to respond to a lawsuit, or anything like that. For example, if you want to sue someone, we can point you in the right direction but we can’t tell you what to write on your complaint. If you want to get divorced, we aren’t going to help you figure out all of the paperwork that you will need to file. This information is too specific. This thread should not take the place of an attorney in your decision-making process! You should take everything with a handful of salt, and you should still contact a lawyer!
2. Are you involved in an active lawsuit? Have you been sued? Are you suing someone? Do not talk about your case here. It is possible, although it is not likely, that your comments here will be discovered by the opposing side. It would be very bad for you to say things that could be construed as defamation, or for you to reveal information that you do not want the other side to know. If you are involved in a lawsuit and you do not have an attorney, GO GET ONE. Do not bother asking us about your problem because you shouldn’t be talking about it here, and unless one of us law goons is in your jurisdiction we can’t really help you anyway.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Oh My Science posted:

Thanks. I'm not actively being sued (yet) but I understand the risk.

BC Bar Assocation posted:

If you quit your job, the Act doesn’t require you to give your employer any notice that you’re going to quit. But your employment contract (oral or written) may require you to do so. Generally, employees who have higher-level jobs must give some notice; if they don’t, their employer may sue them (however, this is a very rare event). The amount of notice depends on several things including the type of job, how long they had the job, and general labour market conditions. Even if you don’t have to give notice, it is usually a good idea to do so.

If you quit, your employer must pay you all wages and vacation pay owing within six days of your last workday.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Ha, I know people (including myself) who have not been paid excess vacation pay within 6 days. Within 6 weeks, maybe. Still, got it in the end, and wasn't desperate for it at the time, so no harm done I guess?

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013
This is a purely hypothetical situation that I've always been curious about. Sorry if this is too long and dense, but I'm trying to give as many details as possible, I'm not sure what specific details may alter the legality so I will try to include everything -

Hypothetical setting and year - CT, USA, 2010

A person (age 21) is sitting in a car with the ignition off in a Barnes & Noble parking lot during business hours. Cops pull up and say that they got a report that someone driving a car matching the description was driving erratically. Person offers to take a breathalyzer, cops decline (the same officer had previously arrested the person twice in the past 2 weeks for heroin possession, so they know/suspect the cause of intoxication will not show up on a breathalyzer)Officer demands the person step out of the car and perform a field sobriety test, which the officer determines has been failed. Person is cuffed and sits in the police car for ~40 minutes while other officers show up and search the car for contraband, nothing is found.

Person is brought back to the police station where a body search is performed and 1 bag of heroin is found. Person then urinates in a cup for the record, and is booked with the charges of possession and DUI. Total time in police station is under 2 hours, and the person is told they can either have someone come pick them up, or they can use the police phone to call a taxi, as long as the person tells the taxi the destination address is home (in this case, the persons parents house). Person asks the officer "Can't I just go somewhere else?" and the response is something like "I don't give a poo poo, as long as I think the taxi is taking you home"

Taxi arrives and person changes the destination to a Walmart in a nearby town, where they steal a box cutter and attempt suicide. They are then rushed to the hospital and stay in the ER for 3 days.

So my question in this hypothetical situation - when an officer determines someone is intoxicated and is clearly in a state of extreme emotional distress, do they have any legal obligation to either hold the person in custody until they are of sound mind, or at least until the effects of the intoxication wares off? The effects which caused the person to fail the field sobriety test were definitely still apparent when the person was released. Had this situation went worse ( if the person died from the suicide attempt) would the family have any legal recourse against the police department?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

No and no.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

areyoucontagious posted:

Yes, thank you. Did you not see the humor in a contract involving my friend sucking my balls resulting in the potential for real, monetary damages?

Umm, no, unless you're a sovereign citizen and your friend lives on a boat.

edited: for humor

Oh My Science posted:

I just quit my job, without giving notice, and my employer threatened to sue me for "incomplete projects" which were never explicitly part of my contract / hiring package. Having never encountered this before I don't know how to respond to this.

You don't have to suck his balls or pay $800, if that's what your asking.

patentmagus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 8, 2014

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

joat mon posted:

No and no.

I agree

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
So, I got a speeding ticket today while driving through Georgia, back home to Florida. Can anyone give me advice on contesting the ticket? I've seen a lot of those advertisements for law firms that say they will fight traffic tickets and you don't need to pay if they lose the case, but I have no idea how legitimate something like that is, or if there's some kind of catch.

Are law firms like that respectable enough to trust? If they were to win, would I end up paying them more than I would be paying for the ticket? If the answer to that is yes, would I, as someone who does not study law, have any chance of winning if I were to attempt to fight it myself?

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Usually firms that work on contingency do one of two things:

1. Only take cases that are a 100% slam dunk.
2. Charge an obscene percentage (think 40-50%) to cover the cases that aren't.

Though, being in Canada, I never saw lawyers challenging fines that weren't like 1000+$.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, take the whole "no fee unless you win" thing with a grain of salt. Typically a settlement or plea bargain counts as a "win", so if you do decide to hire a lawyer be sure to discuss what your expectations are. Typically with tickets it's not worth it to hire a lawyer, unless it's something severe that counts as a misdemeanor, you have a ton of previous tickets and your license is in jeopardy, or you have a job that involves driving that may be affected by it. Most of the time if it's your first ticket in a number of years you can take a class and have it taken off your record, call the court and ask about that.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Were you actually speeding?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kalman posted:

Were you actually speeding?

If he's like 99% of the goons who ask that question, yes, yes he was, but the officer had his hat on crooked when he wrote the ticket.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FrozenVent posted:

If he's like 99% of the goons who ask that question, yes, yes he was, but the officer had his hat on crooked when he wrote the ticket.

It was a gold-fringed patrol car.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

It was a gold-fringed patrol car.

He's a sovereign citizen of the Shire.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I'm kind of curious about the cute "hypothetical" thing that most people do. I assume that it's pretty pointless, because most judges aren't retarded and a story that goes "what if my friend did x" that just happens to exactly fit the case seems like something that could easily be used as evidence. Is that correct?

Is there any situation (criminal or civil) where wording something as "what if my friend did x" vs. "I did x" would make a significant difference, given that the facts are specific enough that it could easily be linked with whatever events were the subject of the court case?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
If you're talking about the use of hypotheticals in this thread, a lot of that's because the lawyers posting have to avoid unauthorized practice/malpractice/ethics-type things and any perception of an attorney-client relationship.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

DuckConference posted:

I'm kind of curious about the cute "hypothetical" thing that most people do. I assume that it's pretty pointless, because most judges aren't retarded ...

But sometimes they do a fine impression.

However, your friend is wondering as follows:

DuckConference posted:

Is there any situation (criminal or civil) where wording something as "what if my friend did x" vs. "I did x" would make a significant difference, given that the facts are specific enough that it could easily be linked with whatever events were the subject of the court case?

You should certainly ask your lawyer about this.

More specifically, ask your lawyer about situations where a person believes they engaged an attorney and thereby created an attorney-client relationship. Your lawyer might tell you that by using a hypothetical you may be evidencing that you have no such belief and that the client's belief is often dispositive in finding an attorney-client relationship. Your lawyer might also mention that an attorney-client relationship, or belief thereof, is often a key element in establishing an ethics violation, a malpractice charge, or practicing without a license.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
This is an "am I going to get sued" question. Jurisdiction is either California or Nevada, but it's probably a US thing really.

I've got a new band, and we'd really like to call ourselves The Soft Machines. Problem is, there was some terrible hippie band in the 60s called Soft Machine in England. Will we get a cease and desist for running around releasing records and touring with this name? If we do, should we fight it and do you think we'd win?

What makes me wonder is that two bands I'm friendly with had to change their names because of similar nonsense (one of them was called master/slave, for instance, and apparently yoko ono had a song called that.)

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
That reminds me of a weird question I had been thinking about. If everybody in a band is dead and they're not selling records any more, is there any legal hurdle to another band using their name? Could an existing artist sell records under the name Robert Johnson or whatever? Or is there always an estate holder that retains rights to the name of the artist/band?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

This is an "am I going to get sued" question. Jurisdiction is either California or Nevada, but it's probably a US thing really.

I've got a new band, and we'd really like to call ourselves The Soft Machines. Problem is, there was some terrible hippie band in the 60s called Soft Machine in England. Will we get a cease and desist for running around releasing records and touring with this name? If we do, should we fight it and do you think we'd win?

What makes me wonder is that two bands I'm friendly with had to change their names because of similar nonsense (one of them was called master/slave, for instance, and apparently yoko ono had a song called that.)

You should certainly retain a trademark attorney if you want a legal opinion from a lawyer you've engaged. That said, this is a fight that would most likely come down to money and your will to fight. If the '60s band has not been using their trademark then it has probably either lapsed or is no longer valid due to lack of use. However, if you do get a C&D then you'll rack up legal charges for dealing with it. If you really really love the name then your lawyer may recommend filing a US trademark application for it. It will take a half year to issue, maybe more, but if you get a registered mark then the other side's position is considerably weakened.

As for jurisdiction, your lawyer may tell you about what sorts of activities open you up for getting sued in any jurisdiction. Internet sales, for one, can have you responding to lawsuits in Alaska.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Given the length of their Wikipedia entry, I'd say tread carefully:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_Machine

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yes, they were pretty influential. Honestly, calling yourself "Soft Machine" is like calling yourself "Wire" or "Colosseum" or something; you might not be familiar with the band, but music critics will be, and they'll see you as writing a check on someone else's work.

Not to mention the Burroughs reference has its own baggage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Have you considered "Rage Against the Soft Machine Metallica" instead?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I don't think Los Beatlos Cubanos are using their name anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
The list of members through out the years of Soft Machines is huge. Have you considered calling your band The Micro Soft Machines? I can't think of any legal baggage that might come from a name like that. :downs: