Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
"Officially" he can't, but we all know he's still going to get the final say on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gene Roddenberry getting slowly pushed out of making executive decisions (and eventually kicking the bucket) gave us some of the best Trek there is. Star Wars will only get better the further George Lucas stays away from it.

Unfortunately he's not gonna be out of the picture for a long time, even if he doesn't own the franchise anymore.

E: not actually advocating for his death here or anything, rereading my post made it seem that way :v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't want Lucas to die. I just want him to quit messing with Star Wars every time there is a remote chance of something vaguely decent coming out from it.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Disney needs to hire an intern whose job it is to just smile and nod at everything George says when he tries to give them ideas. Make a big show of being surprised and interested and writing it down on an official-looking clipboard and everything.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm looking to pick up a new Star Wars book, but I'm wanting something that doesn't center around the movie characters.

If you had to say, what are the top 5 non-main-three-centric books? Bonus points if the main three aren't in it at all. Extra bonus points if they're not alive yet/dead. This rule also applies to prequel characters.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

-Fish- posted:

I'm looking to pick up a new Star Wars book, but I'm wanting something that doesn't center around the movie characters.

If you had to say, what are the top 5 non-main-three-centric books? Bonus points if the main three aren't in it at all. Extra bonus points if they're not alive yet/dead. This rule also applies to prequel characters.

Not a book, but have you tried the Legacy comic series? (NOT Legacy of the Force, the book series)

They should be out in trade paperback omnibus editions and the series is actually pretty durn good (and I say this as someone who never reads comics). The movie characters are all dead and buried, and the only real throwback to the OT is that the main character is Luke's great-grandkid or something, and Luke shows up as a Force ghost like twice.

The series stands really well on its own and feels like good Star Wars. Plus, it has Imperial Knights, and Imperial Knights rule.

If you want something set during familiar time periods that don't revolve entirely around movie characters, look no farther than the X-Wing series. The first four books are generally Fairly Good, even if Corran Horn is the worst Mary Sue in the entire EU. Or just skip straight to book five for some awesome Wraith Squadron.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Drone posted:

Not a book, but have you tried the Legacy comic series? (NOT Legacy of the Force, the book series)

They should be out in trade paperback omnibus editions and the series is actually pretty durn good (and I say this as someone who never reads comics). The movie characters are all dead and buried, and the only real throwback to the OT is that the main character is Luke's great-grandkid or something, and Luke shows up as a Force ghost like twice.

The series stands really well on its own and feels like good Star Wars. Plus, it has Imperial Knights, and Imperial Knights rule.

If you want something set during familiar time periods that don't revolve entirely around movie characters, look no farther than the X-Wing series. The first four books are generally Fairly Good, even if Corran Horn is the worst Mary Sue in the entire EU. Or just skip straight to book five for some awesome Wraith Squadron.

I've heard the Legacy series is absolutely phenomenal, I might have to pick up a few of them for an upcoming flight. I'm mostly looking for something to listen to during my commute to work however.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand I'll say that Legacy was terrible. When you begin with "Luke Skywalker's drug-addicted grandchild and also the Sith are back" it can only really go downhill from there. It hits a lot of the worst of the worst of the EU. It's not the worst the EU has to offer but it's not very good either.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

-Fish- posted:

Xwing novels. Second place would be the Medstar books in my opinion.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh I don't know, he said not in the movies and Wedge, Tycho, Hobbie, and Wes all play major roles in multiple movies

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conquistador posted:

Ugh I don't know, he said not in the movies and Wedge, Tycho, Hobbie, and Wes all play major roles in multiple movies

I am fairly sure that, except for maybe Wedge, few people who saw the movies could name those characters.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was kidding :eng99:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly sure that, except for maybe Wedge, few people who saw the movies could name those characters.

Aw come on, who can forget "Good shot, Janson!" and, "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?" and, uh... that one A-Wing that flies towards the second Death Star in that one shot? :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

-Fish- posted:

The X-Wing books would be my first recommendation, specifically books 5, 6, and 7. The first four form one story line by one author and are decent but have a really mary-sue-ish main character, and the next 3 are a different storyline by a different author. Han shows up briefly, but he's in a command role and has maybe a chapter of real "screen time" in those three books.

Danny Dravot
Aug 5, 2008

Using your tax dollars to fund my extravagant lifestyle.

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually think AOTC had the worst music of the Star Wars films. It's the only one that doesn't really have any memorable new themes of its own, just recycling stuff from earlier movies or having new stuff that's completely forgettable (like the chase music near the start that uses electric guitars...probably one of the few John Williams duds I can think of off the top of my head).

Wait, the chase on Coruscant? I thought the electric guitar was just engine noise.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Danny Dravot posted:

Wait, the chase on Coruscant? I thought the electric guitar was just engine noise.

As I recall there is some electric guitar in that track of the soundtrack but it was left out of the movie.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's a fantastic article about the demise of LucasArts over at Kotaku. Two things that stick out:

1) 1313 was an original story featuring a brand new character until 8 weeks before E3, when it was decided that the main character should be Boba Fett.

2) First Assault, the Battlefront continuation, was originally set after ROTJ. In the months before it's existence was revealed, the decision was made to re-skin everything and set it during the Clone Wars.

The man behind both decisions?

George Lucas.

Yeah, if you ever watched any of the behind-the-scenes clips of the people making The Clone Wars cartoon, every other video the director would be like "Well we had an idea for a really cool episode, but George watched Godzilla the night before so all that got scrapped, hope you like the Zillo Beast." They made it seem like George would wander in, mention what he watched the night before and then say "ok, do that", and then wander off.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Good job if you can get it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Audible just released Specter of the Past in unabridged form. Sooner or later they're probably going to get to the X-Wing series too.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm reading (listening to) Crucible, and good god it reminded me how lame Jagged Fel is. They just described him as like, the best pilot, best commando, former head of state, worlds best badass, better than most Jedi, married to Jaina.

I seem to recall thinking he was cool like, 10 years ago

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Conquistador posted:

I'm reading (listening to) Crucible, and good god it reminded me how lame Jagged Fel is. They just described him as like, the best pilot, best commando, former head of state, worlds best badass, better than most Jedi, married to Jaina.

I always just kinda read him as the Empire's analog to Wedge/Tycho/Luke in terms of piloting skill. As Rebels, Wedge/Tycho/Luke are all very humble about their abilities, but an Imperial version of them definitely wouldn't be. They'd be arrogant, imperious (hurr) assholes just like Jagged Fel comes across as (at first).

At what point in the canon did Tycho defect to the rebellion again? I seem to remember it was pretty late, then they eventually shoehorned him in as one of the A-Wing pilots in ROTJ.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
He was on a space phonecall to Alderaan for his birthday when it dropped, and he was still at 5 bars of service.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Conquistador posted:

I think this stems from the fact that Denning refused to agree to Jaina and Jag getting together unless he could have Jag leave the Empire and move into the Jedi Temple with Jaina. Never mind how stupid that is from the established storyline for him. And in Denning's world, if you're going to live with the Jedi then you need to be basically a super-powered awesome soldier yourself, because he doesn't have any imagination.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to give Razor's Edge a try. I was skeptical about Kenobi and that turned out to be the best EU release since Scoundrels, so I figure it's worth a go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drone posted:

I always just kinda read him as the Empire's analog to Wedge/Tycho/Luke in terms of piloting skill. As Rebels, Wedge/Tycho/Luke are all very humble about their abilities, but an Imperial version of them definitely wouldn't be. They'd be arrogant, imperious (hurr) assholes just like Jagged Fel comes across as (at first).

At what point in the canon did Tycho defect to the rebellion again? I seem to remember it was pretty late, then they eventually shoehorned him in as one of the A-Wing pilots in ROTJ.
Isn't he the son of the actual Imperial analogue to Wedge? Soontir Fel or something like that?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Isn't he the son of the actual Imperial analogue to Wedge? Soontir Fel or something like that?
Yes, and Wedge is his uncle.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm going to give Razor's Edge a try. I was skeptical about Kenobi and that turned out to be the best EU release since Scoundrels, so I figure it's worth a go.

I thought it was all right. Not terrible but not amazing, either.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I started rereading the Bounty Hunter Wars a little while ago and I'm on the third book now. This is the first time I'm reading the trilogy in about 10 years.

A lot of people focus on the fact that the plot and all the schemes all the characters are involved in make absolutely no sense when they criticize this series. To them I say :jerkbag:

The real crime of the series is that vast parts of the book are just people talking to each other while inner monologuing about how much smarter they are and how many steps ahead they are or some other bullshit that I don't care about. Prior to rereading the series I remembered the encounter with the Shell Hutts and the escape from the Sarlaac and Tatooine in Book 1, stealing Bossk's ship in Book 1 or 2, and I remember Boba Fett blasting out of Kuat Drive Yars at the end of Book 3 (which I haven't gotten to yet on this retread). Before I started I thought it was just the years that made me forget what actually happens in most of the series.

It turns out I completely forgot how much of the series was Kuat of Kuat, or Prince Xizor, or the Assembler waxing philosophical and "scheming." All of these sequences are utterly boring, the greatest sin a form of entertainment can commit. Especially the Xizor sections since who gives a poo poo about his machinations in the Emperor's court when we already know he's just gonna die as this series came out a couple years after Shadows of the Empire.

The best parts of the books are the few action scenes and any time Bossk is being punked by Boba Fett. Bossk is the true MVP of the series when it comes to entertainment.

I've been jokingly recommending people read this series because of the convoluted plot. I can't do that anymore. Batshit crazy can be a lot of fun, boring is not.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's a fantastic article about the demise of LucasArts over at Kotaku. Two things that stick out:

1) 1313 was an original story featuring a brand new character until 8 weeks before E3, when it was decided that the main character should be Boba Fett.

2) First Assault, the Battlefront continuation, was originally set after ROTJ. In the months before it's existence was revealed, the decision was made to re-skin everything and set it during the Clone Wars.

The man behind both decisions?

George Lucas.

This just makes me sad. Also, to be fair to Lucas, he's less the source of the problem and more a symptom.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Disney and EA get LucasFilm/Arts on some kind of coherent path and vision again.

This article also mentions some kind of X-Wing-esque WiiU game. I wonder how close it would've been to X-Wing as opposed to say Rogue Squadron?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Thwomp posted:

This article also mentions some kind of X-Wing-esque WiiU game. I wonder how close it would've been to X-Wing as opposed to say Rogue Squadron?

Hey now, the first two Rogue Squadron games were legitimately pretty good.

I'd kill for a War Thunder-esque MMO set in the Star Wars universe though. :swoon:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Especially the Xizor sections since who gives a poo poo about his machinations in the Emperor's court when we already know he's just gonna die as this series came out a couple years after Shadows of the Empire.

It's amazing how rapidly the Xizor character used up whatever novelty and coolness he and the Falleen had. Outside of Shadows of the Empire, Xizor is usually boring and ultimately unimportant like in the Bounty Hunter trilogy since you know what's going to become of him. I finally read Tatooine Ghost and actually thought "Oh God, what now?" when a random Falleen was in a flashback/diary sequence. Thankfully it was just a throwaway character... as far as I know.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The best thing Xizor did was give Darth Vader flagship some excellent target practice.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chairman Capone posted:

I think this stems from the fact that Denning refused to agree to Jaina and Jag getting together unless he could have Jag leave the Empire and move into the Jedi Temple with Jaina. Never mind how stupid that is from the established storyline for him. And in Denning's world, if you're going to live with the Jedi then you need to be basically a super-powered awesome soldier yourself, because he doesn't have any imagination.

gently caress man. That is so goddamned lame man.

I just got a little mad because of loving EU Star Wars and that is so goddamned lame

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Conquistador posted:

When I read the first X-Wing book I was a kid and not entirely sure what cleavage meant (Erisi, you tramp) and I asked my mom.

She told me, and then I got a boner

this exact thing happened to me except for the boner.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's because they did things out of order. They needed to use Xizor in early stuff to build up his importance then kill him for the shock value. As it is, he shows up in Shadows then immediately dies like a bitch which kills the whole idea of him being a power player from the word go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

He can hang with Dooku and other semi lame Star Wars villains, who got a bit more mileage but still was embarrassingly killed off way too quickly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

He can hang with Dooku and other semi lame Star Wars villains, who got a bit more mileage but still was embarrassingly killed off way too quickly.
Which was an odd choice. They went to all the trouble to create this big multimedia project to test the water for the prequels. Then most of the characters created for it hardly ever appear again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

King of Foolians posted:

Yeah, if you ever watched any of the behind-the-scenes clips of the people making The Clone Wars cartoon, every other video the director would be like "Well we had an idea for a really cool episode, but George watched Godzilla the night before so all that got scrapped, hope you like the Zillo Beast." They made it seem like George would wander in, mention what he watched the night before and then say "ok, do that", and then wander off.

On the plus side, the Zilla beast two parter was an excellent homage to King Kong and Godzilla. It also had Palpatine allowing himself to be hilariously over the top evil. And that's always good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

Which was an odd choice. They went to all the trouble to create this big multimedia project to test the water for the prequels. Then most of the characters created for it hardly ever appear again.

Didn't it make enough money for Lucas to consider chancing it with the prequel movies? that is what I thought the end result for Shadows really was myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Since you've read it much more recently than me, does it seem to you as though Jeter forgets when he's writing what's ostensibly a flashback or otherwise confuses the chronology of his trilogy, or am I just misremembering?