Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I started reading the first Walking Dead novel. It's pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I have a question about Glasshouse.

I'm at the part where Sam just suggested Reeve get a job and then Reeve went down on Sam and they had a fight. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, but at this point I'm saying, "Okay, 50s/60s and onward gender dynamics and rituals were unfair and pointless. I get it." Does the book ever move beyond this too-on-the-nose cultural criticism and pick up the pace? Supposedly it is full of twists, but I have yet to encounter any.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Almost done with The Magian's Land. It's been a weird series, the characters are almost all unlikable but there's just enough interesting stuff about the magic/universal working/Fillory stuff to keep me reading.

I was pleasantly surprised when Grossman slid a nod to Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books in. I forget the specifics (I should probably re-read those books) but Ged summons a spirit in the first book after being warned not to, and it escapes and runs around loving poo poo up until Ged confronts it in a later book as a more mature and powerful sorceror. Alice becomes a niffin to defeat Martin Chatwin in The Magicians and Quentin never really gets over her, and in the third book he comes across a spell that allows him to return her to human form.

I might be reading too much into that, I guess. And anyway that's where I put the book down last night, so it'll probably take a hard turn into depressing right afterwards.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Almost done with The Magian's Land. It's been a weird series, the characters are almost all unlikable but there's just enough interesting stuff about the magic/universal working/Fillory stuff to keep me reading.

I was pleasantly surprised when Grossman slid a nod to Ursula K. LeGuin's Earthsea books in. I forget the specifics (I should probably re-read those books) but Ged summons a spirit in the first book after being warned not to, and it escapes and runs around loving poo poo up until Ged confronts it in a later book as a more mature and powerful sorceror. Alice becomes a niffin to defeat Martin Chatwin in The Magicians and Quentin never really gets over her, and in the third book he comes across a spell that allows him to return her to human form.

I might be reading too much into that, I guess. And anyway that's where I put the book down last night, so it'll probably take a hard turn into depressing right afterwards.

I really liked the series. In the first book, two scenes blew me away. The beast scene, obviously, is one. It remains one of the scariest scenes I have ever read, probably because it was so unexpected. Also, Alice turning into a niffin destroyed me. I was so upset.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blue squares posted:

I have a question about Glasshouse.

I'm at the part where Sam just suggested Reeve get a job and then Reeve went down on Sam and they had a fight. I really enjoyed the beginning of the book, but at this point I'm saying, "Okay, 50s/60s and onward gender dynamics and rituals were unfair and pointless. I get it." Does the book ever move beyond this too-on-the-nose cultural criticism and pick up the pace? Supposedly it is full of twists, but I have yet to encounter any.

Yes.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

blue squares posted:

I really liked the series. In the first book, two scenes blew me away. The beast scene, obviously, is one. It remains one of the scariest scenes I have ever read, probably because it was so unexpected. Also, Alice turning into a niffin destroyed me. I was so upset.

Yeah, both of those were really intense. The second one, in particular, struck me as such a colossal waste, considering what's revealed during it.

Again, it's a weird series, I can't really put a finger on any sort of overarching 'point' or meaning, and the characters are almost too human because I can't really get behind any of them since they're all hosed up and either in denial or just trying to deal. But there are enough bits like the ones in that quote to keep me reading.

In particular one bit in The Magician King left me wanting. Quentin and the gang are in Fillory to get the seven golden keys to win the fight against the gods and keep magic around, they get the keys, open the door, and that's it. No mention is ever made of what Penny and his new friends and the dragons are doing in Neitherland, even though it was implied to be a loving huge battle. Penny never shows up again, the Order is never shown, and the gods just go away I guess?

Also Julia's whole story is incredibly hosed up. :catstare:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Whoa, you weren't kidding

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I started reading the first Walking Dead novel. It's pretty bad.

I can't believe that I went to the dump and ended up eating garbage.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, both of those were really intense. The second one, in particular, struck me as such a colossal waste, considering what's revealed during it.

Again, it's a weird series, I can't really put a finger on any sort of overarching 'point' or meaning, and the characters are almost too human because I can't really get behind any of them since they're all hosed up and either in denial or just trying to deal. But there are enough bits like the ones in that quote to keep me reading.

The overarching theme of the series is about post-college ennui and the gradual realisation that your dreams are never going to happen (or even if they do they'll still be empty and unfulfilling). I think they're great books but they're also possibly the kind of books you have to read at a certain point in your life. For example I was 23, had finished university and finished backpacking, moved to a new city with my friends and got a real job, and was surprised to find myself listless and depressed.

Although I thought the second book ended on an optimistic note Quentin losing everything but recognising he'd grown as a person for it and the third book undeniably does.

Also apparently the Syfy series is predictably, hilariously nothing more than HARRY POTTER BUT ~~~SEXYYYYY~~~

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

A human heart posted:

That metaphor doesn't make sense. You go to the dump to get rid of garbage. You don't eat at the dump.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

A human heart posted:

The comic is gorgeous at least

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In case you have a 3d printer and are a big fan of the new tv show for The Expanse, here's a link you should check out : http://www.thingiverse.com/Syfy/designs

Apparently they've uploaded a crapton of designs for everything from logos to the title of the show, to ships used in the show (I guess, haven't read the books or seen the show).

Just thought someone would like to know.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I'm liking the expanse show but they really should have killed off the fedora on the cop character

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

angel opportunity posted:

I'm liking the expanse show but they really should have killed off the fedora on the cop character

Detective Miller is just too young and handsome so the hat looks awkward. I always figured him as a more aged and ragged guy. He's supposed to be 50 or something so I imagined him to look like an oversized Columbo or something.

Millers hat is Columbo's jacket and car. On a younger guy it looks less like "I don't even give a poo poo." and more like "M'Lady".

Sidestep
May 16, 2012

Pencil me in on the list for finally getting around to finishing Traitor Baru Cormorant.

I tore into it over Christmas break and realised I had missed some pretty huge chunks of the story. I had to go back and read it a second time, paying much closer attention to all of the negative space. It was pretty clear in the first chapter or so that Baru's major flaw was not recognising other actors as such and treating them like mechanisms to plan around. I didn't realise until about the last third of the book just how much is happening in all of that unwritten area Baru is blind to.

I am used to music where the silences are as important as the notes, but this isn't something that often strikes me in genre fiction. That is a pretty impressive accomplishment in a freshman outing. Well done.

The only question now is, "what do I follow that up with?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

General Emergency posted:

Detective Miller is just too young and handsome so the hat looks awkward. I always figured him as a more aged and ragged guy. He's supposed to be 50 or something so I imagined him to look like an oversized Columbo or something.

Millers hat is Columbo's jacket and car. On a younger guy it looks less like "I don't even give a poo poo." and more like "M'Lady".

Thomas Jane is 46.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I also just finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant, and from reading a few reviews afterwards I see that I'm not alone in getting all those C.J. Cherryh vibes! So... if you like her work, check out Batutta's book.

incidentally, over my last 12 months of reading, TTBC has also been the only piece of genre fiction outside Cyteen that felt worthy of five stars on goodreads

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

General Emergency posted:

Internet anti-dork culture has damaged you people. Fedoras don't m'lady anybody on an actual adult, or anyone other than awkward teenagers wearing cargo shorts and sandals. Miller's hat is fine.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

a foolish pianist posted:

Internet anti-dork culture has damaged you people. Fedoras don't m'lady anybody on an actual adult,

Fedora wearer spotted

They are ridiculous on anyone, not just nerds

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Internet anti-dork culture has damaged you people. Fedoras don't m'lady anybody on an actual adult, or anyone other than awkward teenagers wearing cargo shorts and sandals. Miller's hat is fine.

Thank you. I'm in my late thirties and only ever wear them with a suit and tie, but I still cringe a little bit whenever I think of them being a symbol of the MRA movement.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

If you wear a fedora and you're white and not Justin Timberlake, and you're not in a full suit, you look like an idiot

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Kesper North posted:

Thank you. I'm in my late thirties and only ever wear them with a suit and tie, but I still cringe a little bit whenever I think of them being a symbol of the MRA movement.

I'm in my late 30s, and I've got a straw one that I wear when it's sunny outside and I need a fuckin hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. Nerds trying to outrank each other on the nerd hierarchy based on hats is dumb as poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm in my late 30s, and I've got a straw one that I wear when it's sunny outside and I need a fuckin hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. Nerds trying to outrank each other on the nerd hierarchy based on hats is dumb as poo poo.

gonna need a pic, m'lord

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

hats are dumb as poo poo.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Do you people not go outside or something?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Aaaah!!! The sun! By the gods, protect me, Hat

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
People make a big deal out of the wheel, but I think the invention of the hat freeing humanity from having to hide in caves during daylight was our greatest early invention.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:agreed: except that they are also bad on adults. You won't look like a redditor, but it's like the millenial.jpg thread, all people wearing outrageous clothes because they think they're hot poo poo (they're not) and need to have their special twist .There isn't any kind of current fashion towards hats, so you shouldn't loving wear one either unless you're some kind of trendsetting Big Deal. (yeah sun hats are fine, you know what I mean)

Miller is middle aged, lives in space like 200 years in the future, and explicitly wears the hat to annoy people.

Also he's a detective, and detectives and generals are allowed a hat.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 5, 2016

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It looks alright on him. Not amazing, but fine.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

guess what? it's corrupted him and he can't take it off, even off the set and when out of character

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dude looks like he is about to go neg and run a PUA script on every single woman in a bar, starting at the entrance and working his way to the back.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Dude looks like he is about to go neg and run a PUA script on every single woman in a bar, starting at the entrance and working his way to the back.

In the show there's a scene where Miller basically does this. Bonus points it's his ex negative points it's for an investigation :(

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

There isn't any kind of current fashion towards hats, so you shouldn't loving wear one either unless you're some kind of trendsetting Big Deal. (yeah sun hats are fine, you know what I mean)

Miller is middle aged, lives in space like 200 years in the future, and explicitly wears the hat to annoy people.

Also he's a detective, and detectives and generals are allowed a hat.

Do you mean like any type of hat in general, or are you talking about fedoras specifically?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A hat can keep your head warm when it's cold.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
I just try not to be a pussy when it's cold.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

savinhill posted:

Do you mean like any type of hat in general, or are you talking about fedoras specifically?

and trilbies. But yeah I don't mean baseball caps or whatever :shobon:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

angel opportunity posted:

guess what? it's corrupted him and he can't take it off, even off the set and when out of character

Lacks baller rear end melon spoon.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wear sunglasses you dork