Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
I've been setting up the second scenario for [url="https:////boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/236650/1985-under-iron-sky"]1985 Under an Iron Sky[/url] And just finished the first air superiority round of the first turn.

Here is a shot of the setup of the completed for the second scenerio, which covers the NORTHAG area during a "space for time" trade between NATO forces and WP. NATO has far and away more chances for reinforcements however at the beginning they start with far fewer units:

Here is a shot of the WP air fields. I like how the air war is handled with plains having to return to airfields which can be captured on the map:

Here you can see a few of the French and American units based in Berlin which I'd imagine will be swept aside by my opponent pretty quickly!

This game is super fun, hopefully i'll remember to take some more photos of land combat when we get back into this on thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I’m so jealous, Under an Iron Sky is one of my grail games, but I have way too many bills right now. Thanks for sharing!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

COOL CORN posted:

I’m so jealous, Under an Iron Sky is one of my grail games, but I have way too many bills right now. Thanks for sharing!

Same here.

Post more pics of that game, please!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hahaha, some anonymous donor gave GMT a lump sum of money to reprint all the Command and Colors games. I mean, that's great, but wow.

Also, DA GMT SALE is planned for September.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 22, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Hahaha, some anonymous donor gave GMT a lump sum of money to reprint all the Command and Colors games. I mean, that's great, but wow.

Also, DA GMT SALE is planned for September.

Are any of the Napoleonics expansion armies more fun than the others? I enjoy the game, but I'm hesitant to drop $160 for the full set.

Anarchy Stocking
Jan 19, 2006

O wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo!

CaptainRightful posted:

Are any of the Napoleonics expansion armies more fun than the others? I enjoy the game, but I'm hesitant to drop $160 for the full set.

They all have little things that give flavor. The Spanish can spend a token to make you lose a turn. The Russians can bring units up to paper strength by adding an extra block to certain units, and all of their infantry can ignore a flag. The Austrian line infantry can square without sacrificing a card, and the Prussians can spend a token to ignore flags.

It's fun to figure out how to play them all the best against the French.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Twlight posted:

I've been setting up the second scenario for [url="https:////boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/236650/1985-under-iron-sky"]1985 Under an Iron Sky[/url] And just finished the first air superiority round of the first turn.

EDIT: nevermind I had this confused with Red Storm

Huskalator fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 23, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
By god, I will learn OCS this week

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Phi230 posted:

By god, I will learn OCS this week

*narrator voice* he won't

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Phi230, teaching the rules to his friend:

“Those right there are supply points. Now let's talk about the supply points. Can we talk about the supply points please? I've been dying to talk about the supply points with you all day”

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine the Pepe Silvia bit from Sunny except the board is a map of North Africa

Also already tempted to rescind my OCS oath after learning 1985 Under An Iron Sky is on vassal

Anyway, here's a completely tangential question: how does one even begin making a wargame

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 23, 2018

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Imagine the Pepe Silvia bit from Sunny except the board is a map of North Africa

Also already tempted to rescind my OCS oath after learning 1985 Under An Iron Sky is on vassal

Anyway, here's a completely tangential question: how does one even begin making a wargame
It’s loving hard, that’s what it is, especially if you want to analyse a period more than just superficially

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Phi230 posted:

A series of important decisions are involved, which only have 2 options each.

1. Which category of wargame would you like to make? WW2 or Other?
2. Will you represent the civilian population as an abstract concept (a single "war weariness" track) or just completely ignore that they exist?
3. Are you certain of the exact designation, position, and movements of every unit that was involved in the battle you are representing or are you just making a Euro?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Phi230 posted:

first, you must invent the universe

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Are you finally playing that copy of DAK that I regret selling

Phi230 posted:

First you tell me what area/scale/time period you want to do, and I begin working on the map.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Are you finally playing that copy of DAK that I regret selling

I'm trying, very much trying.

COOL CORN posted:

First you tell me what area/scale/time period you want to do, and I begin working on the map.

I really, really would like to know how you make hex maps of stuff in illustrator because I think that would become a hobby of mine.

Especially since I keep trying to run a Seekrieg campaign but maps at the right scale for operational gameplay are very hard to come by. I had to order some official Seekrieg maps that they printed like 35 years ago.

Tekopo posted:

It’s loving hard, that’s what it is, especially if you want to analyse a period more than just superficially

CaptainRightful posted:

A series of important decisions are involved, which only have 2 options each.

1. Which category of wargame would you like to make? WW2 or Other?
2. Will you represent the civilian population as an abstract concept (a single "war weariness" track) or just completely ignore that they exist?
3. Are you certain of the exact designation, position, and movements of every unit that was involved in the battle you are representing or are you just making a Euro?

I'm just curious, I'm not actually trying to make a war game. Like how does one even begin to quantify attack/defense values or movement ranges. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

The closest thing I'm trying to do is work on naval combat for an RPG I'm helping make but that really isn't the same.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 24, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You kinda have to have your system, hex scale, and map roughly in place before you can put in your values. Most of the wargame designers these days use a lot of stuff from other games to save time, or make a very basic version of their game on a small scenario(See: Battle for Moscow, Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue)

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Finally had a chance to set this beautiful beast up!

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

CaptainRightful posted:

Finally had a chance to set this beautiful beast up!

Really like that table where did you end up getting it?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Twlight posted:

Really like that table where did you end up getting it?

Thanks, but there's not much to it. It's an old butcher block Ikea table with a 6' x 3' x 3/4" sheet of MDF on top. I put a 6' x 3' Tablewar gaming mat (basically a giant mousepad) onto that, then the map, then a 3' x 4' x 1/8" acrylic sheet. I'm going to need some indirect lighting if I ever want closer map photos, though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I still have this bee in my bonnet to make a COIN game and I think the Arab-Israeli conflict (1950-2000) would make a decent title. My idea is to have factions be: IDF, Nationalist Arabs, Radical Arabs, and Shia/Minorities. Non-IDF factions would only have guerrillas and bases of their own, but by putting bases in Arab capitals they can issue commands to Arab troops, maybe? I have a bunch of mechanical ideas for diplomacy and cube-on-cube violence, and I want to see if I can take this idea anywhere interesting. Targeting the COIN "platform" makes sense because it's a fun system and it will help me get rid of extra rules that aren't entirely needed.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I still have this bee in my bonnet to make a COIN game and I think the Arab-Israeli conflict (1950-2000) would make a decent title. My idea is to have factions be: IDF, Nationalist Arabs, Radical Arabs, and Shia/Minorities. Non-IDF factions would only have guerrillas and bases of their own, but by putting bases in Arab capitals they can issue commands to Arab troops, maybe? I have a bunch of mechanical ideas for diplomacy and cube-on-cube violence, and I want to see if I can take this idea anywhere interesting. Targeting the COIN "platform" makes sense because it's a fun system and it will help me get rid of extra rules that aren't entirely needed.

Some difficulties with using the COIN system for this is what areas you would include on the map and how you define victory for each of the factions. The map can't be limited to just Israel/Palestine, or else you have a situation where one faction was historically nearly invincible and the stated goal of at least one of the other factions (the elimination of the state of Israel) is nearly impossible to achieve. If you use, say, UN condemnation as a metric, the IDF simply doesn't care.

I'm also unclear as to how you're defining/differentiating "Radical Arabs" in this context.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CaptainRightful posted:

Some difficulties with using the COIN system for this is what areas you would include on the map and how you define victory for each of the factions. The map can't be limited to just Israel/Palestine, or else you have a situation where one faction was historically nearly invincible and the stated goal of at least one of the other factions (the elimination of the state of Israel) is nearly impossible to achieve. If you use, say, UN condemnation as a metric, the IDF simply doesn't care.

I'm also unclear as to how you're defining/differentiating "Radical Arabs" in this context.

I think you might be able to make this work if you go back to the original 1948 partition and just restrict the game to ONLY Israel/Palestine. There's a lot of territory that Israel straight up annexed right off the bat from what was supposed to be "Palestine" such that it ceased to exist as an entity with actual borders. The COIN comes in because the "radical arabs" are differentiated as Hamas, Hezbollah, PLO, ALA, etc. They are independent entities but received a lot of support from nationalist arabs (Syria, Iran, Jordan, Egypt) but also received support from Israel itself when they agreed to let Gaza and portions of West Bank be governed by Palestinians, which sort of falls into the graft portion. I could see there being options for hard-line vs. softer Israeli positions, maybe? Also, instead of PROPAGANDA! cards you could have WAR! cards or something, that end up redrawing borders based on how the factions are doing.

I think you could almost get to a COIN but it would have so many special rules, I almost wonder if it just ends up being it's own COIN-inspired system. I dunno, the idea is interesting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, the map is a big part of it. My sketches have a map of 25-30 spaces including Israel & Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, and parts of Syria and Egypt. One thing the Arab factions can jockey for is leadership of the on-map countries, by getting bases in the 5 capitals.

VP levels would be something like:

IDF -- Commitment marker (reduced by enemy Terror and by calling up reserves, etc) + Bases outside Israel proper (pre-1967 borders)
Nationalists -- Total Support (counted in all Arab spaces, which is most of them) + Bases in Capitals
Radicals -- Total Opposition + Bases
Shia -- Controlled Pop in Lebanon & Syria + Bases

My idea for the Radical Arabs is: groups who are said to oppose any terms with Israel, preferring to answer violence with violence. I'm thinking of splitting the deck into 1950-74 and 1975-1999 cards, so for the early war I think this would be mainly left-wing groups like the PFLP and Black September, while later it would be dominated by religious Sunnis like the Muslim Brotherhood. Radicals would have more elaborate options for Terror and Attack.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Anyone here have the DAk2 errata counters from Guderians Blitzkrieg II going spare?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Btw ive been listening to Mike Duncan's revolution podcast, and I've gotten kinda interested in the Spanish American wars of independence. Are there any war games about it at basically any scale?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Would Liberty or Death or Colonial Twilight be a better solo experience?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

food court bailiff posted:

Of those three choices, I'd recommend Death.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

FMguru posted:

You know what I mean. I'm kind of leaning Colonial Twilight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FMguru posted:

:drat:

Ed: Colonial Twilight is better probably but i think it only has bits for one side

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Unless you absolutely only care about those two settings, you might want to wait until October, by which time the new editions of Andean Abyss, Cuba Libre, A Distant Plain, Fire In The Lake, and Falling Sky (the Ariovistus expansion) will all be out. These will all have updated rules and expanded bots so you can play any faction solo.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Continuing 1985 with my play partner:

At the start of this scenario there are French and American units stationed in Berlin, while they have a few modifiers allowing for better defense of Berlin, they're defeated pretty quickly. Being out of supply is a huge DRM for the attacker, the first game we played we ignored supply however this game we're adding the supply rules in and it made a huge difference to the Berlin garrison. However I did inflict a step loss on one of the WP armored units which was a bonus.

Current NORTHAG front:

I took some decent losses in the air superiority phase of the first turn but made up for it by interdicting the autobahn hex into Western Germany with a 20+mp penalty. This was signifigant as, since most units which are not leg units, have 20pts of movement ( movement points are used both to move and fight in this system ) I've bought my self a bit of time as well as the chance to inflict fatigue on WP units which will provide a positive DRM for the defender.

I feel like the SAM, especially embedded SAM, abilities of WP units are really tough to deal with as a NATO player. I've found that with a lack of aircraft, numerically, I really have to pick and chose where I want to try and win air superiority, where even if I gain control of one or two zones. I barely have enough air squadrons to do much attacking or assisting in assaults. However this may just be the scenario we're playing so far.

WP air superiority looking daunting as gently caress.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well I posted in that BGG thread to reserve a copy, hope I get one

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Well I posted in that BGG thread to reserve a copy, hope I get one

I think he's doing a second printing based on how many reserve me a copy posts he gets. I think its a real dumb system hes got but wargames

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Are the ASL SKs ever going to be reprinted? Or should I be scouring craigslist and eBay for cheap listings?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Twlight posted:

I think he's doing a second printing based on how many reserve me a copy posts he gets. I think its a real dumb system hes got but wargames

Yeah, it's really strange. Even a google form seems like it would be better.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Are the ASL SKs ever going to be reprinted? Or should I be scouring craigslist and eBay for cheap listings?

If it were me, I would just get the rules, and get Beyond Valor. Then, I think the SK scenarios (or something akin to them) is available for download. The first couple scenarios are really basic and just ignore anything in the rules that you don't need and you can get a pretty good experience. I suppose SK's are a lot cheaper than doing that, but if they're out of print, might be a wash either way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The only thing I recall from the SK scenarios that ease you into the game is eliminating guns/vehicles and off-board stuff. Most of the Support Weapons are sparsely used, and usually just the machine guns. Oh, and don't use concealment.

Voila! Starter Kit!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

The thought of starting with an SK was daunting, I'm not sure I'd be doing anything but flushing money buying the rules and BV and just trying to go for it. Could I at least get away with the pocket rulebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The thought of starting with an SK was daunting, I'm not sure I'd be doing anything but flushing money buying the rules and BV and just trying to go for it. Could I at least get away with the pocket rulebook?

The pocket rulebook is the same as the regular rulebook, just printed in a smaller format. That being said, I have no issues with getting on VASSAL and helping learn the ropes.