Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

They're saying both. The sudden short-notice confirmation decision was a strategic move by Trump's people with ties to Congressional Rs that has created a split in Dem messaging on the nomination decision.

The Dems have no ability to ration their procedural ammunition, because they have one shot. They can create something resembling an obstacle to a Trump nominee once. Then the Republicans can change the rules, and the Senate dems have no practical or procedural power on anything.

They don't have one shot to stop a Trump nominee, they have zero shots. Forcing the Republicans to kill the filibuster doesn't exactly qualify as an "obstacle", since they have the votes to do it and no one seriously expects them not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They aren't staffers or terrorists, they are some teen's fan fiction twitter role play thing.

But do you get how serious a deal it'd be if there was an actual group in the whitehouse calling themselves "the resistance" and talking about the need to "resist" a "tyrant" while spying and leaking private conversations the president was having?

Do you get how big a deal that would be in real life?

Thanks for forwarding some fanfiction you rightly dismissed as pointless. Is there a point at musing as to how big a deal it would be "in real life" or is this just a restatement that unverified sources should be regarded skeptically?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chuu posted:

Isn't this more of a reason the EO should be struck down than it shouldn't? As in, not only does the CBP not have the right detain people under the EO, the CBP doesn't have a constitutional basis to detain anyone under federal law, period?

I'm not even how Executive Orders fit into our legal framework. When people are talking about "striking down" an Executive Order what exactly do they mean?

That's true, it would be a separate concurrence.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Main Paineframe posted:

They don't have one shot to stop a Trump nominee, they have zero shots. Forcing the Republicans to kill the filibuster doesn't exactly qualify as an "obstacle", since they have the votes to do it and no one seriously expects them not to.

I know, I was talking about having a procedural ability to make some amount of noise and draw media attention. I'm more trying to correct the impression coming from some quarters that Dems who voted in favor of, e.g., the Matthis confirmation, are (actual quote) "quislings" for doing so. The political Left is performing the traditional political purity autocannibalism dance, primarily through ignorance of the procedures and maneuvering involved in actual politics.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 31, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Basically the Democrats are at best Rorschach shouting DO IT right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Basically the Democrats are at best Rorschach shouting DO IT right now.

In this instance, I'm Nite Owl II falling to the ground in despair in the movie adaptation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The Justice Dept is refusing to defend the order (Yates, the interim head, is from the Obama admin).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

The Justice Dept is refusing to defend the order (Yates, the interim head, is from the Obama admin).

Good on her. Not like she's got anything to lose, since I imagine her career will be largely the same as it would have been, once Sessions replaces her. But still it's nice to see someone use their position to speak truth while they can.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

algebra testes posted:

In this instance, I'm Nite Owl II falling to the ground in despair in the movie adaptation.

I'm Nite Owl II from the comics who doesn't give a gently caress because I have a GF now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Good on her. Not like she's got anything to lose, since I imagine her career will be largely the same as it would have been, once Sessions replaces her. But still it's nice to see someone use their position to speak truth while they can.

If anything this sets her up nicely for a congressional run. Maybe not in Georgia though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Main Paineframe posted:

The GOP wants to kill it too, because once they just say "fine gently caress it, filibuster is dead" then they can drop any pretense of not holding single party rule over the entire country. and any bills they want passed will pass unless a couple Senators break ranks to reject it with a simple majority.

The Democrats know that the filibuster is the only thing that gives them any relevance at all on matters where all GOP senators are in agreement on something.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I struggle to see the difference in Democrats not filibustering because their ability to do so might get taken away and the filibuster not existing at all. What's the point of having the filibuster if it can never be used? If those are the options I'd rather they go down fighting and we can drop the pretense that the Republicans aren't in absolute control right now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If anything this sets her up nicely for a congressional run. Maybe not in Georgia though.

Hell getting fired by Trump an hour after you made your move is probably going to be a big boon to your career...

...eventually. Hopefully.

Oh god just fire the missiles.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Holding off and doing it on a HUGE, attention-getting issue (rather than a random appointment) gives them more media and support for their one shot at it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Javid posted:

Holding off and doing it on a HUGE, attention-getting issue (rather than a random appointment) gives them more media and support for their one shot at it.

Yeah, this. Trump's people did all the relatively inoffensive people first intentionally. A filibuster/nuclear option on, say, Matthis, would just further erode Democratic support. People keep saying this is a war- it's not. It's a series of elections.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Summit posted:

I struggle to see the difference in Democrats not filibustering because their ability to do so might get taken away and the filibuster not existing at all. What's the point of having the filibuster if it can never be used? If those are the options I'd rather they go down fighting and we can drop the pretense that the Republicans aren't in absolute control right now.

i hope mcconnell kills it if for no other reason than it will already be dead if the democrats ever take the senate back, removing the opportunity for the republicans to brazenly use it and the dems to fold like a wet paper towel.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Summit posted:

Optics, which is surprisingly important. Especially when it comes to mobilizing voters.

Then again, it's not like we need their votes anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Director of ICE just fired- could someone give me an idea of the normal scope of executive firing power? How far down the chain before folks are protected from immediate dismissal?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

All appointed people serve at the pleasure of the President and can be dismissed at any time. Career people (who got regular hired) have various disciplinary procedures they have to go through to be fired and it's generally very tough to get rid of them.

Attorney Generals are traditionally sacrosanct, even though they serve at the pleasure of the President because their independence ensures the President is on the level.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

All appointed people serve at the pleasure of the President and can be dismissed at any time. Career people (who got regular hired) have various disciplinary procedures they have to go through to be fired and it's generally very tough to get rid of them.

That's what I thought- and I since realized ICE director is appointed. How precedented is it to dismiss and immediately replace acting, previous admin people like this?

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
That all assumes the rule of law, though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

That's what I thought- and I since realized ICE director is appointed. How precedented is it to dismiss and immediately replace acting, previous admin people like this?

Un.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Shbobdb posted:

Optics, which is surprisingly important. Especially when it comes to mobilizing voters.

Then again, it's not like we need their votes anyway.

Considering we're going to get some Jim Crow 2.0 poo poo on a federal level over the next couple years... :sigh:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering we're going to get some Jim Crow 2.0 poo poo on a federal level over the next couple years... :sigh:

Don't worry. For every black vote we lose, we'll pick up two white suburban housewives!

:I'mwithher:

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP wants to kill it too, because once they just say "fine gently caress it, filibuster is dead" then they can drop any pretense of not holding single party rule over the entire country. and any bills they want passed will pass unless a couple Senators break ranks to reject it with a simple majority.

The Democrats know that the filibuster is the only thing that gives them any relevance at all on matters where all GOP senators are in agreement on something.

They will kill the filibuster as it pertains to the SCOTUS, not for legislation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

TheAngryDrunk posted:

They will kill the filibuster as it pertains to the SCOTUS, not for legislation.

They'll kill both.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/jessbravin/status/826286967918837762

Even I say waaaaaaah

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Discendo Vox posted:

They'll kill both.

Not likely. They don't have 50 votes to do that. And McConnell is strongly against it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-house-filibuster-mcconnell-234192

To get a SCOTUS pick through he might though.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What happened to the good old days when there was a nominee who was such an obviously good choice that they got confirmed unanimously.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

qkkl posted:

What happened to the good old days when there was a nominee who was such an obviously good choice that they got confirmed unanimously.

Watergate happened.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

qkkl posted:

Robert Bork.

And Harriet Miers to a lesser extent.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why...would you even want that.

There's plenty of other Republican judges who will suck corporate cock, roll back civil rights legislation, restrict the franchise, empower police to crack skulls or whatever your pet issues happen to be, but who aren't total whackjobs.

Do we really need to be jailing people for licking a cock/pussy while having one?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That's the point VitalSigns.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

Why...would you even want that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vae_victis

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/democrats-supreme-court-battle/

Call your senator.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Robert Bork.

And Harriet Miers to a lesser extent.

Harriet Miers would've been fine.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

From the article: "Preserving the filibuster now could give Democrats more leverage in the future, proponents of this strategy say. But it would enrage the Democratic base that wants a furious Democratic response to Trump's court pick."

Utterly incorrect. Preserving the filibuster provides absolutely no future leverage. Presuming there will be any kind of bipartisanship ever is wrong.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Literally the second graf of what you posted:

Democrats privately discussed their tactics during a closed-door retreat in West Virginia last week.

Sometimes it can be helpful to read past the headlines.

mcmagic posted:

Harriet Miers would've been fine.

Based on what reasoning, exactly?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Paracaidas posted:

Based on what reasoning, exactly?

Based on the person who ended up in that seat. She couldn't have possibly been worse.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

Based on the person who ended up in that seat. She couldn't have possibly been worse.

The conversation was what happened to unanimous votes. Miers isn't the cause, but she never would have been unanimous because Republicans would have voted against her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

The GOP doesn't really want to kill it, for that exact reason - once they end the filibuster, their voters will expect them to hold uncontested single-party rule in the federal government. Both parties have things that their voters want passed but their legislators don't, and blaming the opposing party for blocking those things is the best excuse possible. It's especially important right now with Trump running the show; if Mitch kills the filibuster now he puts himself in the position of either passing anything Trump tells him to or having to say "No" to Trump.

Javid posted:

Theres no "one shot". There's zero shots. No amount of "media and support" is going to somehow make it impossible for the Republicans to end the filibuster; in fact, I expect that coverage would only make the GOP more likely to pull the trigger. Besides, Trump is an expert at stealing headlines. He can take away the Dems media attention in an instant if he wants. Cabinet nominees are pretty drat huge, anyway, it's not like these are random nobody diplomats or something.