Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

My pawns keep getting their eyes cut out and fingers bit off by foxes because their combat sucks so badly. It's a rifle dude. Point and shoot at the fox. The guy I sent to rescue you has to hang out in the infirmary because a maddened rat bit his neck and jaw.

If you had a rabid fox scrambling on you biting your jaw off I imagaine it would be really, really hard to line up a shot with a full size rifle. In fact, it would probably be best to drop it.

Pistols should be useful hth weapons though, that might be a cool mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

all six of my A17 colonies have ended with a manhunter pack attack. i can hold off 4 raiders with automatic weapons but if the one pawn who can't fight gets caught by that pack of yorkies, better watch it. loving lame

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
I mostly forbid the front door and wait out manhunter packs but the last one occurred with a trade caravan on the map so it was a win-win all around for my colony.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I just had a manhunting pack of about 10 bears come at my main colony. I had a small caravan travelling at the moment, so 6 turrets and 6 guys with assault rifles were just barely able to stop the bears.

Oh and also I had 5 of my main colony with the plague at the time. It was wonderful and we painted the hospital walls with blood.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Huh, is there a reason I can't alter skill levels on a "Make Smokeleaf joint" job? I want joint rolling to only be done by low level crafters so the higher level guy's stay doing important stuff like making clothes or weapons, but there's no "allowed crafting skill" slider in the job.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's probably implemented half assed, there's a new-ish mod that adds smokeleaf joint production to the drug lab:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=936629463

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a checkbox "Draw Fog" on the dev view filter menu.

Thanks. I found it yesterday when I got home. I was in all kinds of wrong menus and just tore up from the floor up the other day when I couldn't find it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mammon Loves You posted:

I mostly forbid the front door and wait out manhunter packs but the last one occurred with a trade caravan on the map so it was a win-win all around for my colony.

Eh, I'm pretty sure you get a reputation hit for each trader who dies while on your map, even if they are killed by wild animals. So if an entire caravan got wiped out, it may not have been a good thing unless it was an exotic weapons trader or something.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I once had a visitor snort himself into a coma on my doorstep, pissing off the faction by -5 or -10. Didn't matter much to me since I appropriated the stuff he dropped.

Doctor takes him to the hospital, shortly he recovers and leaves the map, giving me +15 relations.

So I stole his stuff and his faction ended up liking me for it :v:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Danaru posted:

I once had a visitor snort himself into a coma on my doorstep, pissing off the faction by -5 or -10. Didn't matter much to me since I appropriated the stuff he dropped.

Doctor takes him to the hospital, shortly he recovers and leaves the map, giving me +15 relations.

So I stole his stuff and his faction ended up liking me for it :v:

You saved his life. Whether you got all of his stuff before or after that is a question for your morality, but quid quo pro is satisfied either way!

Honestly, considering he stole your drugs first, pretty cool of you to save his life, even if you did demand payment up front.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I just realized that the mood of prisoners affects recruitment chance! For some reason I thought it was just a matter of rapport and the recruiter's social skill, so I was dumping them into these tiny, cold, dirty rooms with shoddy wooden beds. I only realized the problem as I noticed the recruitment chance going down over time, when it should be going up. :downs:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

You saved his life. Whether you got all of his stuff before or after that is a question for your morality, but quid quo pro is satisfied either way!

Honestly, considering he stole your drugs first, pretty cool of you to save his life, even if you did demand payment up front.

I'm sorry but I really want to know the story behind the text under your avatar

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lunethex posted:

I'm sorry but I really want to know the story behind the text under your avatar

Got it when I was IK in FYAD 10+ years ago. You'd have to ask DocEvil or EPG, but I doubt anyone remembers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

I actually sold the drugs to him and took back the stuff he didn't snort :capitalism:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Danaru posted:

I actually sold the drugs to him and took back the stuff he didn't snort :capitalism:

:golfclap:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am really enjoying a17, for a surprisingly different reason than before. All the past versions I modded to help and back, while this one is fairly vanilla. The amount of mods I had was kind of screwing with the experience, but this is a lot more survival oriented.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Got it when I was IK in FYAD 10+ years ago. You'd have to ask DocEvil or EPG, but I doubt anyone remembers.

A likely story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Does the number of faction settlements within close proximity to your colony factor into frequency of caravan visits and enemy attacks?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Does the number of faction settlements within close proximity to your colony factor into frequency of caravan visits and enemy attacks?

Current wisdom is no. I'm unsure of any hard proof. Maybe generate an island and check it out?

Quick question, can your men set off your own IEDs? If so do they path around them?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Yes and yes to the IED question.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you force them to walk over a deadfall or an IED there's something like a 0.4% chance that they will trigger it. so it's not like its' gonna happen any time soon, but it's enough to not honeycomb high traffic areas in traps because eventually someone's going to get their dick or dick analog blown off.

a checkerboard grid works well if you want to do that, but realistically that junk is expensive enough that you want to be thoughtful about how you're using them.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

beerinator posted:

I just had a manhunting pack of about 10 bears come at my main colony. I had a small caravan travelling at the moment, so 6 turrets and 6 guys with assault rifles were just barely able to stop the bears.

Bears are slower than humans so a good tactic is to move your guys out and lure the bear into range, have a few shots, run away and repeat. Once you get a couple of hits in, they'll start slowing down even more. Wargs are the worst purely because they're so quick.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I got attacked by a pack of 50 manhunter monkeys. It was the first time the game slowed down for me. I think it was because I had an intricate funnel made using walls and the pathfinding algo went nuts.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is there a good way to level up someone's shooting from 0? I have 5 colonists and one doesn't "do" shooting. 1 has 12 shooting but is trigger happy so I don't want to give her the sniper rifle, and 1 has 5 melee and a passion for it, but 0 shooting skill.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I thought trigger happy was good for the slow firing weapons because volume of fire more than made up for the misses?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I thought trigger happy was good for the slow firing weapons because volume of fire more than made up for the misses?

I thought the opposite and have been giving them miniguns. As far as leveling shooting you can have them hunt or draft them and have them attack a sleeping spot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Efexeye posted:

all six of my A17 colonies have ended with a manhunter pack attack. i can hold off 4 raiders with automatic weapons but if the one pawn who can't fight gets caught by that pack of yorkies, better watch it. loving lame

I always design my base so that I can keep everyone inside and everyone has access to beds and food. Every so often update your "Stay Inside" area and switch everyone to that when toxic clouds or manhunter packs come in. When you have Turrets have a power switch located inside that turns them on and off, though depending on the pack that may not do much.

Donkringel posted:

I am really enjoying a17, for a surprisingly different reason than before. All the past versions I modded to help and back, while this one is fairly vanilla. The amount of mods I had was kind of screwing with the experience, but this is a lot more survival oriented.

I found this too a while ago. I had a bunch of mods that I thought of as mostly Quality of Life, but even if they didn't give me specific functionality to make the game easier, it made it way easier to manage my pawns so the game was functionally easier. Most mods make the game slightly easier in their own way, and add enough of them you have a Sims game instead of a survival one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

It is good for weapons with low accuracy anyway, and high volume of fire to begin with. Machineguns, miniguns, assault rifles at a stretch.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

A Moose posted:

Is there a good way to level up someone's shooting from 0? I have 5 colonists and one doesn't "do" shooting. 1 has 12 shooting but is trigger happy so I don't want to give her the sniper rifle, and 1 has 5 melee and a passion for it, but 0 shooting skill.

In 16A I'd mine iron by having all my low skill shooters equipped with pistols and short bows fire at the iron ore. I don't think that works anymore for mining (at least with debug explosions iron ore only drops one iron) but at least you could still shoot tunnels into rock.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can shoot guns at a sleeping spot that you designate in a nowheresville in your base, but raising shooting takes so long it's pretty impractical to do so unless you're really, really secure in your base.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

I found this too a while ago. I had a bunch of mods that I thought of as mostly Quality of Life, but even if they didn't give me specific functionality to make the game easier, it made it way easier to manage my pawns so the game was functionally easier. Most mods make the game slightly easier in their own way, and add enough of them you have a Sims game instead of a survival one.

This is why I've never used mods. Sure there are a few QoL ones that I would really like to have but ultimately I find that the game is perfectly fine without them.

My biggest problem with this game is my inability to let go of a colony. My current one is really bad but I basically refuse to start over or tear down my poorly laid out base.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

enraged_camel posted:

Frequency is purely storyteller. Identity is proximity and relations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GodspeedSphere posted:

I thought the opposite and have been giving them miniguns. As far as leveling shooting you can have them hunt or draft them and have them attack a sleeping spot.

For some reason I was thinking it was a -20% accuracy, +50% fire rate, rather than what it actually is; -50%, +50%. -25%, +25%. That'll teach me to go off the wiki.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 1, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Trigger-happy is -25% accuracy +25% rate of fire.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Pretty sure the issue with Trigger Happy is that as long as the shooter's skill is good enough, their accuracy is going to be pretty decent regardless, meaning that giving them slower firing weapons is actually for the best since the trait wouldn't really make them any worse than anyone else. Accuracy can be effected by a Pawn's skills, but fire rate can't be changed by anything other than traits afaik.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

trigger happy stacks oddly

like, the way it is worded, you would expect it to be -25% accuracy flat, which is terrible. but it's actually -25% accuracy from the pawn's base aim. in previous versions, the shooting skill mattered so little over ~5 or so that this was a no-brainer trade. in this version, shooting has been made more important, so the question is a lot more squishy now.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

VerdantSquire posted:

Pretty sure the issue with Trigger Happy is that as long as the shooter's skill is good enough, their accuracy is going to be pretty decent regardless, meaning that giving them slower firing weapons is actually for the best since the trait wouldn't really make them any worse than anyone else. Accuracy can be effected by a Pawn's skills, but fire rate can't be changed by anything other than traits afaik.
The tooltips are deceptive, because a significant chunk of shooting skill is per tile. There is a very real difference between 0.98^20 and 0.99^20, even though it's only a "one percent hit chance"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How much shooting skill is required to make any meaningful difference? Like if I just want all of my pawns to be able to hold a gun and fight off raiders in my first 4-6 seasons? I guess I mean how much is the minimum to be useful?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I would kill for a piece of tech and/or some mechanism that reduces caravan travel time, especially during the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Moose posted:

How much shooting skill is required to make any meaningful difference? Like if I just want all of my pawns to be able to hold a gun and fight off raiders in my first 4-6 seasons? I guess I mean how much is the minimum to be useful?
It's easier to think of in terms of things you can control vs hoping your recruits just so happen to have combat skills on top of the domestic skills you are hoping to fill. To that end you give your highest skilled shooters low ROF weapons like sniper rifle and bolt action rifle and give the amateurs high ROF weapons. The law of large numbers means you want more people laying down fire than the other guy, and if not to have a superior firing position, and having high skill is an incidental stat that guides loadout.