Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm getting itchy for some Fallout action and 4 is still too far away. Is Tale of Two Towns good? I looked at the setup instructions here and they're involved. I've modded Skyrim a fair bit, but never did any major mods with Fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

LLSix posted:

I'm getting itchy for some Fallout action and 4 is still too far away. Is Tale of Two Towns good? I looked at the setup instructions here and they're involved. I've modded Skyrim a fair bit, but never did any major mods with Fallout.

Haven't checked it out myself since I'm pretty fresh off a NV play through, but most people say it's pretty stable. I enjoyed exploring Fallout 3 more than NV over all, so doing so with NV mechanics to me will be worth the trouble for my next play through.

As far as modding the fallout games, I had an easier time with those than Skyrim, personally. Go for it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

LLSix posted:

I've mostly heard good things about it--in the modding thread a lot of people have used it to replay Fallout 3 inside of NV. For such an impressive feat it actually seems very stable, too...to the point that people asking how to get back into modding Fallout 3 frequently end up just going the TTW route and exploring it within their New Vegas install.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've mostly heard good things about it--in the modding thread a lot of people have used it to replay Fallout 3 inside of NV. For such an impressive feat it actually seems very stable, too...to the point that people asking how to get back into modding Fallout 3 frequently end up just going the TTW route and exploring it within their New Vegas install.

Added benefit being that most (all?) of NV's mods work with it too. I think. Some of them probably require compatibility patches, but most of them already require those to begin with so it's just one extra thing to download.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Any evidence they broke out the conversation system to be a little less awkward than the pan-in + time freeze thing that's been running since Oblivion?

edit: I have no idea why I feel like this would make or break the game for me, but honestly I feel like that's the biggest thing stopping me from being excited about another Fallout / Elder Scrolls game.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cheekio posted:

Any evidence they broke out the conversation system to be a little less awkward than the pan-in + time freeze thing that's been running since Oblivion?

edit: I have no idea why I feel like this would make or break the game for me, but honestly I feel like that's the biggest thing stopping me from being excited about another Fallout / Elder Scrolls game.

They fixed that in Skyrim already...

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

GyverMac posted:

Yeah gotta give credit were credit is due. No other game companies have come close to creating games on the scale of the Bethesda gamebryo games. Sure it can be buggy and a bit wonky, but I cant recall from the top of my head any other games offering the same kind of freedom, from the character creation and the way you interact with the world, along with the freedom to mod pretty much anything.

Something about the way Bethesda handles open world design just clicks for me. A lot of other games, have these big worlds, but they're filled with Activities that feel like this entirely separate element. There's too much checkmarking off of tasks. Everything just kind of...happens in games like Skyrim and Fallout 3. That thing tha'ts happening isn't always the most interesting thing ever, but when it IS. Maan. :allears:

Like, Fallout 3 gives you quests to stop a pair of rampaging cosplayers from destroying a town, get rare soda for a neurotic, cola-addicted woman who lives under a bridge, go to school and even destroy a book written by Cthulhu. And New Vegas gives you stuff like getting a sex-bot for a bar, sending a religious group of ghouls into deep space to live on the moon, buy tumbleweeds from a mutant, get stoned on tribal drugs and beat up a flaming ghost bear and tell horrible puns to a 200-year old man.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 12, 2015

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Something about the way Bethesda handles open world design just clicks for me. A lot of other games, have these big worlds, but they're filled with Activities that feel like this entirely separate element. There's too much checkmarking off of tasks. Everything just kind of...happens in games like Skyrim and Fallout 3. That thing tha'ts happening isn't always the most interesting thing ever, but when it IS. Maan. :allears:

Like, Fallout 3 gives you quests to stop a pair of rampaging cosplayers from destroying a town, get rare soda for a neurotic, cola-addicted woman who lives under a bridge, go to school and even destroy a book written by Cthulhu.. And New Vegas gives ya stuff like get a sex-bot for a bar, sent a religious group of ghouls into deep space to live on the moon, buy tumbleweeds from a mutant, get stoned on tribal drugs and beat up a flaming ghost bear and tell horrible puns to a 200-year old man.

And along the way you happen upon something interesting, I find. Something about the first person gameplay seems to lend itself to that. When I'm going after an objective in the Witcher and there's something between me and the objective it just feels like it's in the way instead of something I want to do most of the time. That might just be me though.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Like, Fallout 3 gives you quests to stop a pair of rampaging cosplayers from destroying a town, get rare soda for a neurotic, cola-addicted woman who lives under a bridge, go to school and even destroy a book written by Cthulhu. And New Vegas gives you stuff like getting a sex-bot for a bar, sending a religious group of ghouls into deep space to live on the moon, buy tumbleweeds from a mutant, get stoned on tribal drugs and beat up a flaming ghost bear and tell horrible puns to a 200-year old man.

And this is when the games are running as intended. When the bugs start coming out of the woodwork.. :allears:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I like that they aren't afraid to let the player miss out on content. Most open world games give you a map filled with icons detailing every point of interest and big exclamation points over every NPC that has a quest. It results in a play style where you just go from icon to icon to clear the map, avoiding any area of the map that doesn't have an icon because you already know there's nothing worthwhile there. The Witcher 3 was a little better about this since you couldn't get the icons without going to a notice board so you could still stumble upon things in new areas, but it was all the same type of repeated activities. I don't get the sense that I'm going to stumble upon anything amazing I missed if I ever replay that game since I cleared the map the first time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

steinrokkan posted:

The combat in Witcher is not perfect, but it's definitely miles ahead of the awfulness that is Skyrim combat.

It's more complex.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

J-Spot posted:

I like that they aren't afraid to let the player miss out on content. Most open world games give you a map filled with icons detailing every point of interest and big exclamation points over every NPC that has a quest. It results in a play style where you just go from icon to icon to clear the map, avoiding any area of the map that doesn't have an icon because you already know there's nothing worthwhile there. The Witcher 3 was a little better about this since you couldn't get the icons without going to a notice board so you could still stumble upon things in new areas, but it was all the same type of repeated activities. I don't get the sense that I'm going to stumble upon anything amazing I missed if I ever replay that game since I cleared the map the first time.

What the gently caress? Are you kidding?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

LLSix posted:

I just finished doing a play through of FO3 using the ToTW mod and it worked pretty smoothly except for the occasional crash when fast traveling. The buggiest part was The Pitt, where it would crash about every third cell change, but gently caress the Pitt.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

sector_corrector posted:

WHY THE gently caress WOULD HE BE KIDDING?!

He's got a good point.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

No. Do you have a specific objection here or was that just a knee-jerk reaction to any statement praising Bethesda games over Witcher 3?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe this bit

"since I cleared the map the first time"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

J-Spot posted:

No. Do you have a specific objection here or was that just a knee-jerk reaction to any statement praising Bethesda games over Witcher 3?

It's sector_corrector. Just ignore him.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

JackBadass posted:

It's sector_corrector. Just ignore him.

Duly noted, JackBadass.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
It's probably because he's comparing two games that have the exact same level of quest indicators as if they're any different in that respect.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Decus posted:

It's probably because he's comparing two games that have the exact same level of quest indicators as if they're any different in that respect.

Pretty sure Skyrim doesn't have a central notice board that marks all the quest givers in an area, which was the comparison point here. TES games have quests you can absolutely miss because it isn't made super obvious that an NPC you just passed by without talking to gives a quest.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rinkles posted:

Maybe this bit

"since I cleared the map the first time"

Eh I hit all the ? marks except for the ones in Skellige (bc my friend did that and said it's not worth it) and yeah I don't see myself stumbling across something totally new and surprising after that. I mean it's a great game and I'll definitely replay it when the big DLC comes out but I feel like in a Bethesda game I'm always discovering new random poo poo on subsequent playthroughs.

Yeah Skyrim has the quest markers all over the place but Witcher 3 has that AND it tells you where all the quest givers are so you can be sure you did every single one before finishing the game out.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Has there been any information about Fallout 4 supporting the Oculus Rift?

The Rift is supposedly scheduled for a Q1 2016 release.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't count on it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Inverness posted:

Has there been any information about Fallout 4 supporting the Oculus Rift?

The Rift is supposedly scheduled for a Q1 2016 release.

No way in hell it gets official support. First person games are going to be among the last games VR will tackle (if at all) because they have to be remade specifically for VR.
Games where you sit in a thing work well, strategy games work well, first person shooters make people sick. Taking a game that works on a TV / monitor and kludging in VR support never works well either.
Then you have textures and model fidelity and engine performance and all sorts of other VR specific stuff. Someone will absolutely make it work with the Oculus and Vive but it's going to be gimmicky.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How do you even play a strategy game on a VR system, and why bother with VR if you can't play the one logical genre that fits it (FPS)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

steinrokkan posted:

How do you even play a strategy game on a VR system, and why bother with VR if you can't play the one logical genre that fits it (FPS)

You play strategy games like you are an eye in the sky. Lean in, look around, fly around taking it all in. The stereoscopic part about VR is the 'wow' factor and it works insanely well with an RTS type game. The upshot is your brain is ok with this.
FPS are a problem because it's so convincing that your brain has real trouble with sitting down when it thinks you should be running. That and the way we make fps right now isn't realistic at all. Nobody runs and jumps around like fps characters do, nobody holds a gun on the side of their face and nobody has their head locked to the movements of their hands like characters do in FPSs (Arma being an exception).
You can't just slap VR on a game and have it work well, it's a whole new thing you have to make work.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

I love it. Even the bear is like "WHAT THE gently caress, MAN?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wrong Fallout but video might be interesting to some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKGhqIl4Gw

E: meant to post this in the nv thread

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 13, 2015

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

KakerMix posted:

You play strategy games like you are an eye in the sky. Lean in, look around, fly around taking it all in. The stereoscopic part about VR is the 'wow' factor and it works insanely well with an RTS type game. The upshot is your brain is ok with this.
FPS are a problem because it's so convincing that your brain has real trouble with sitting down when it thinks you should be running. That and the way we make fps right now isn't realistic at all. Nobody runs and jumps around like fps characters do, nobody holds a gun on the side of their face and nobody has their head locked to the movements of their hands like characters do in FPSs (Arma being an exception).
You can't just slap VR on a game and have it work well, it's a whole new thing you have to make work.

Those are all interesting points. Now I'm wondering if Arma would translate to the Oculus more smoothly than other games.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Eh I hit all the ? marks except for the ones in Skellige (bc my friend did that and said it's not worth it) and yeah I don't see myself stumbling across something totally new and surprising after that. I mean it's a great game and I'll definitely replay it when the big DLC comes out but I feel like in a Bethesda game I'm always discovering new random poo poo on subsequent playthroughs.

Yeah Skyrim has the quest markers all over the place but Witcher 3 has that AND it tells you where all the quest givers are so you can be sure you did every single one before finishing the game out.

Because having like 15 npcs max in a town, only like 5 of which with more than one line of dialogue(obviously a quest giver or merchant) is any better?

Don't get me wrong, I love and critically eye both games, but giving quests instead of making you dick around with lovely writing and voice acting is definitely only better/worse person to person.

There are things that Skyrim does better than W3, but quests are in no way one of them. (Personally I'd say they're even overall)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

Because having like 15 npcs max in a town, only like 5 of which with more than one line of dialogue(obviously a quest giver or merchant) is any better?

Don't get me wrong, I love and critically eye both games, but giving quests instead of making you dick around with lovely writing and voice acting is definitely only better/worse person to person.

There are things that Skyrim does better than W3, but quests are in no way one of them. (Personally I'd say they're even overall)

Nah I'm just saying both have their own pros and cons and it's not like W3 has ruined Bethesda games for me even though it was really good.

Exploration and finding random things is better in Bethesda games than in W3.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The thing with low-Int options overlooks a big mechanical difference between Fallout 4 and all previous Fallout games. In those, your stats ran on a scale of 1-10, and you were given all 5s with five discretionary points to spend. In 4, you're still on a 1-10 scale, but you start with all 1s and twenty-one points to spend. So the stats are clearly working on a different scale here, because you needed to drop down to 3 to get the "stupid" options in Fallouts that had them, but I don't know what number is going to be pegged as "average" in 4.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, who ever heard of playing a strategy game from a FPS perspective *thousands of board games begin to fall out of my pockets*.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, who ever heard of playing a strategy game from a FPS perspective *thousands of board games begin to fall out of my pockets*.

*monopoly money starts launching from my ears as i fumble to pick up my thousands of board games*

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Nah I'm just saying both have their own pros and cons and it's not like W3 has ruined Bethesda games for me even though it was really good.

Exploration and finding random things is better in Bethesda games than in W3.

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Imo W3 destroys Skyrim (even with high res mods) in terms of finding interesting scenery. Something imo Beth has always been middle of the pack at best (at worst there's oblivion gates and the soul cairn)

However, I will say there's not another company I've seen with near as many small characters. Such as finding an old journal, or a skeleton with a fire enchanted sword in a troll cave.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Nasgate posted:

I think it depends on what you're looking for. Imo W3 destroys Skyrim (even with high res mods) in terms of finding interesting scenery. Something imo Beth has always been middle of the pack at best (at worst there's oblivion gates and the soul cairn)

However, I will say there's not another company I've seen with near as many small characters. Such as finding an old journal, or a skeleton with a fire enchanted sword in a troll cave.

There's also 4 years of engine tech and a new console generation and some huge leaps in graphics tech overall between them. Yeah Witcher 3 makes Skyrim look ugly but it's pretty drat old in game terms at this point.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Im genuinely interested in seeing what a bethesda game is like when its not held back by the ram limitations etc of the last generation of consoles. Fo3, Fo4, Oblivion, and Skyrim were all designed within those constraints. Its gonna be a heck of a jump forward for them with Fallout 4.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

There's also 4 years of engine tech and a new console generation and some huge leaps in graphics tech overall between them. Yeah Witcher 3 makes Skyrim look ugly but it's pretty drat old in game terms at this point.

This would be a good point if all fallout 4 footage we've gotten didn't look like 2011 graphics still.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

big mean giraffe posted:

Skyrim being kind of ugly is well known. Why do you think that PC gamers have so many mods designed just to add more color to the world? Alongside the ones that turn every woman into a half-naked, anatomically correct Barbie doll or dragons into Randy Savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The one thing most games fail to capitalize on is good sound.

Witcher 3 being stereo only was such a disappointment. Plus I don't think it utilized any sounds below 100hz. I don't own a 20hz SVS sub + very nice Polk 5.1 surround sound for that kinda weak audio.

An immersive exploring game with creepy atmosphere such as Fallout 4 would be GREAT with surround sound and I'm hoping it has that option. I honestly can't remember if F3 had it or not.

Geostomp posted:

Skyrim being kind of ugly is well known. Why do you think that PC gamers have so many mods designed just to add more color to the world? Alongside the ones that turn every woman into a half-naked, anatomically correct Barbie doll or dragons into Randy Savage?

Is there a mod to turn the women into Randy Savage too?

• Locked thread