Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

walrusman posted:

For the 200th time in this thread, lemme just say that I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was a teenager.

My livejournal was a travesty but fortunately nobody really ever read those except people you know.

also I'm pretty sure every character portrayed there is the OP and she's one of those people that pretends to have multiple personalities in an effort to appear unique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My livejournal was a travesty but fortunately nobody really ever read those except people you know.

That's somehow worse than strangers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's somehow worse than strangers.

well in the case of my LJ it was only people i knew via a MUD text game. We all had embarrassing livejournals. Some of us even had xangas.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

also I'm pretty sure every character portrayed there is the OP and she's one of those people that pretends to have multiple personalities in an effort to appear unique.

Or, completely made up, but based off people she sees around that she wishes she was friends with.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ooof. that's a word I could live the entire rest of my life never hearing again

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

walrusman posted:

For the 200th time in this thread, lemme just say that I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was a teenager.

That's weird considering social media has been around for hundreds if not thousands of years - it certainly was around when I was a teenager. However it was only on-line for a short part of that time and real-time for an even shorter - and the on-line part wasn't very popular back then.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Xanga was great because you didn't need to be friends to be an edgelord and stir up poo poo in highschool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
MySpace was great because you could put up sweet tunes and should still own the market

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

My Space and it's built in "actually rank your friends" system was so psychologically devasting in middle School

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Jurgan posted:

This is a great example of a guy not realizing what an rear end in a top hat he looks like. It starts with the narrator calling customers cattle and just keeps getting worse.

I hate everything about the way this story is written. Every Redditor writes in these long dumps of purple prose, and I'm sure they think they sound like Terry Pratchett, but they just sound like a smug Eric Garland tweetstorm.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

An ancient, forgotten god turning into a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because humanity sucks is a great idea for a short story though

Irvine Welsh wrote something kinda like that, sorta: "The Granton Star Cause," which appeared in his short story collection The Acid House. It's got a little bit of a Kafka Metamorphosis thing going on too, and once you get your head around the Scottish brogue it's loving brilliant. But then again, I love Irvine Welsh, so I might be a little biased.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Irvine Welsh wrote something kinda like that, sorta: "The Granton Star Cause," which appeared in his short story collection The Acid House. It's got a little bit of a Kafka Metamorphosis thing going on too, and once you get your head around the Scottish brogue it's loving brilliant. But then again, I love Irvine Welsh, so I might be a little biased.

It's ma job tae ken Boab, ya wee doss oval office. Ah'm God.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

sebmojo posted:

It's ma job tae ken Boab, ya wee doss oval office. Ah'm God.

:hfive:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

well in the case of my LJ it was only people i knew via a MUD text game. We all had embarrassing livejournals. Some of us even had xangas.

I had to look up "Xanga" and

Wikipedia posted:

Core features
All Xanga members receive a "Xanga Site", a web site made up of a weblog, a photoblog, a videoblog, an audioblog, a "Pulse" (mini-blog), and a social networking profile. Members also have the option of joining or making blogrings (groups).

that is a lot of "blog" in one sentence.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Blogrings sound like a low-tier dnd monster. Like some kind of extra pathetic weaselly goblin.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Blogrings sound like a low-tier dnd monster. Like some kind of extra pathetic weaselly goblin.

But enough signing of your posts.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

jjack229 posted:

I had to look up "Xanga" and

that is a lot of "blog" in one sentence.

Wait, that reads like Xanga wasn’t actually shut down years ago...?

I’m confused.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

zoux posted:

Hell of an icebreaker

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oh dear. I'm curious what stupid fad free-bleeding is, but I'm too scared to search. Also while it's nothing to be ashamed about, I do not think strangers are interested in any of my bodily fluids.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Domus posted:

Oh dear. I'm curious what stupid fad free-bleeding is, but I'm too scared to search. Also while it's nothing to be ashamed about, I do not think strangers are interested in any of my bodily fluids.

It's exactly what you think it is.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

life is killing me posted:

Wait, that reads like Xanga wasn’t actually shut down years ago...?

I’m confused.

It shut down then revamped so if you didn't log-in and save your old blog it's now gone.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: How to be alone

dovetaile posted:

It shut down then revamped so if you didn't log-in and save your old blog it's now gone.

Well, I had one and didn’t save it...so my teen angst years are gone and forgotten never to be seen again...wait, that’s a good thing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

An ancient, forgotten god turning into a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because humanity sucks is a great idea for a short story though

It's a terrible idea you idiot. You moron. you absolute fucker

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

drat you, I came here to cross-post that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

drat you, I came here to cross-post that.

You came here to cross-post but now you only can cross post.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:argh:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/redbird171717/status/1116437683054751745

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I never thought I'd support book-burnings but Harry Potter is a great satan.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Honestly Harry Potter fans and JK Rowling on twitter have destroyed all my nostalgia for it. They've actually ruined it for me.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Just clarifying because of the low quality but that profile pic is a lady kissing a cat.

Trebek has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Apr 12, 2019

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly Harry Potter fans and JK Rowling on twitter have destroyed all my nostalgia for it. They've actually ruined it for me.

^^

I devoured the first few books over a weekend in college but now it’s just sort of like...shits sake is that the only book you have ever read?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Imagine how miserable it would be for a student in that class, especially if they don't care about Harry Potter

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

This may not have happened, but I was none the less amused to discover that books about grave robbing are actually a thing.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mountaineer posted:

This may not have happened, but I was none the less amused to discover that books about grave robbing are actually a thing.

I want to believe this one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The most unrealistic part is that they go to the library but don't understand how interbranch returns work

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wow! Small loving world! I can't believe it either!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The fake part is that a woman would be pro-vaccine but work in a homeopathic store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The fake part is that a woman would be pro-vaccine but work in a homeopathic store.

Yeah but also the dead kids talking.