Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Someone work on a SMRPG mod to swap out all of it's lovely pre rendered graphics with real sprites please, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

falz posted:

Someone work on a SMRPG mod to swap out all of it's lovely pre rendered graphics with real sprites please, thanks.

No way, that's part of the charm and it's incredibly well animated given the limitations back then.

The Mario & Luigi games started out with bright, simple sprites then went for this hyper detailed style with the 3DS games to the point where the characters look CG. And they probably are and then converted to 2D sprites in the same way Ghost Trick was.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

falz posted:

I agree that the whole DKC-originated pre-rendered 3D in sprites style aged terribly. For some games, it almost aged worse than really early PlayStation/Saturn full 3D.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

I'd say Mystic Quest is worth playing. It's baby's first RPG but there's zero grinding and the music rocks.

I also think Shadowrun is worth playing as it's the most unique RPG on the console from a design standpoint. It can get hard and obtuse at points but my rule for playing basically any RPG pre-PS2 era is with a podcast on and strategy guide on my phone.
Mystic Quest is IMO one of the most underrated FFs. Yeah it's easy to a point that's almost insulting, and the story is the most boilerplate, bog standard FF/JRPG affair, but the music is rad and it's surprisingly charming in in its setting. I love being able to change the seasons by beating the bosses in each area, and how that ultimately unlocks new areas or abilities.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

falz posted:

fishmech posted:

I agree that the whole DKC-originated pre-rendered 3D in sprites style aged terribly. For some games, it almost aged worse than really early PlayStation/Saturn full 3D.

I used to think the same thing, until I played Super Mario RPG in its native resolution for the first time since 1996.

You can run the game at its original resolution with no zooming on the n3ds, and it looks absolutely fantastic

So in reality, it's that those games look especially lovely on HDTVs is all. They hold up just fine.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

al-azad posted:

I also think Shadowrun is worth playing as it's the most unique RPG on the console from a design standpoint. It can get hard and obtuse at points but my rule for playing basically any RPG pre-PS2 era is with a podcast on and strategy guide on my phone.

There's so much I love about SNES Shadowrun, but it drags really, really badly after about the first 1/3, and I burned out trying to replay it recently. Bremerton loving sucks, and that's not even one of the parts that I remembered being particularly bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I used to think the same thing, until I played Super Mario RPG in its native resolution for the first time since 1996.

You can run the game at its original resolution with no zooming on the n3ds, and it looks absolutely fantastic

So in reality, it's that those games look especially lovely on HDTVs is all. They hold up just fine.

No the whole style looks pretty bad, even on my old CRTs. Like when I first noticed it as a problem would be the early 2000s when all I had for those games was a plain old mid-90s 24 inch CRT.

Most of SMRPG manages to look pretty good despite it, but things like DKC I can barely stand anymore. They still look better than really old real 3D but not by much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like the look of at least DKC2 more than tropical freeze, which had a very boring asethetic IMO.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The first time I saw the in game graphics was last year when I bought the cart. My first view of it was on a crt via svideo. I just think it's super ugly.

Maybe had I first saw it way back then I'd have some nostalgic rose colored glasses, but I didn't so I don't.

I've only played a few minutes of it, once I play through it perhaps I'll be able to look past the graphics. Oh and isometric, wtf.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

No the whole style looks pretty bad, even on my old CRTs. Like when I first noticed it as a problem would be the early 2000s when all I had for those games was a plain old mid-90s 24 inch CRT.

Most of SMRPG manages to look pretty good despite it, but things like DKC I can barely stand anymore. They still look better than really old real 3D but not by much.

Yeah I can see not liking the general look but if you liked it back in 1994 I am surprised you now don't. Because truthfully when Super Mario RPG came out I was genuinely amazed at the graphics (not DKC so much) but even when N64 and PS1 was out I thought their graphics were garbage (except for a rare gem like Legend of Mana which sucks but it impressed me visually).

Take my opinions with a grain of salt though because I actually think Killer Instinct arcade looks better than Killer Instinct for Xbox One which I know makes no sense.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I love the way SMRPG and the DKCs look. DKC3 in particular is beautiful, esp. the backgrounds

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There are probably examples of really bad and poorly aged rasterized CG sprites but DKC and SMRPG are definitely not it :colbert:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of CG sprites but Super Mario RPG looks really cool to me, I always thought it looked great.

Like if someone thinks that game looks bad they're fortunate to have never seen the true dogshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQqnxDLPiX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOD5HITHZZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9l0oE4Oeh8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DANSV_8fMZg

Nate RFB posted:

Mystic Quest is IMO one of the most underrated FFs. Yeah it's easy to a point that's almost insulting, and the story is the most boilerplate, bog standard FF/JRPG affair, but the music is rad and it's surprisingly charming in in its setting. I love being able to change the seasons by beating the bosses in each area, and how that ultimately unlocks new areas or abilities.

I always wished this game got like a sequel or remake of some kind. I love all the cool different abilities and weapons in it. And the general hub kind of go here to grind breakdown wouldn't be considered bad today since it's how a ton of console and mobile and PC RPGs actually work now.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EnvyJ posted:

Due to limited funds as a child and not caring I skipped over all the SNES RPGs and have only played through some of Super Mario RPG, please suggest where I should start!

Chrono Trigger RIGHT THE gently caress NOW, followed by FF6 (Final Fantasy III in the us) and then FF4 (Final Fantasy II in the us)

that's pretty mandatory before we even talk about other RPGs

fishmech posted:

I disagree, I think Super Mario RPG has a really cute style that looks great to this day.

I guess DKC a little less so, but it still looks pretty great.

Digitized graphics like Mortal Kombat on the other hand, not so much.

fishmech posted:

Most of SMRPG manages to look pretty good despite it, but things like DKC I can barely stand anymore.

That's mostly reasonable

fishmech posted:

They still look better than really old real 3D but not by much.

This is a classic terrible fishmech opinion

vs

Also, even if Super Mario RPG did use pre-rendered CG, they very obviously touched up the sprites by hand afterward. Much of the game's detail is still hand sprite work, just using the CG renders as a base template so the perspective looks right.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 24, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Didn't Mystic Quest have an overflow bug that allowed you to one-hit the final boss with a heal spell?

Though it's not like that kind of thing is unusual or unique among Final Fantasy games or something.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Chrono Trigger RIGHT THE gently caress NOW, followed by FF6 (Final Fantasy III in the us) and then FF4 (Final Fantasy II in the us)

that's pretty mandatory before we even talk about other RPGs

I disagree, I think Super Mario RPG has a really cute style that looks great to this day.

I guess DKC a little less so, but it still looks pretty great.

Digitized graphics like Mortal Kombat on the other hand, not so much.

That's mostly reasonable

vs

Also, even if Super Mario RPG did use pre-rendered CG, they very obviously touched up the sprites by hand afterward. Much of the game's detail is still hand sprite work, just using the CG renders as a base template so the perspective looks right.
They clearly were advertising it as pre-rendered. Yes of course anything at that low of resolution would have pixel touch ups to fit colour palettes of the day. I think we can mostly agree that if someone played it back then they maybe still think it looks good, if not it's just bad.

falz fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 24, 2017

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I wanna play mario rpg again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've never beaten it, I only borrowed it from a friend and then had to give it back before I was done. It hasn't really had any digital rereleases right? I'd have to track down a cart or emulate it?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm with Fishmech on this one.

The only people to do a decent job with prerenders have been CAVE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoCj-ln_lqQ
(you can buy a good HD port of this game on Steam, and as of this post, it is heavily discounted - http://store.steampowered.com/app/377860/Mushihimesama/ )

That said, it still pales in comparison to their pixel art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_oMO2HpxLQ

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I've never beaten it, I only borrowed it from a friend and then had to give it back before I was done. It hasn't really had any digital rereleases right? I'd have to track down a cart or emulate it?

It's on Wii and Wii U.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's on Wii and Wii U.

I'll play it later this summer on my Wii U then, ty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mycophobia posted:

I wanna play mario rpg again

Its so great

In Training posted:

Its one of very few RPGs that I've not only beaten but pretty much 100%. Beat Jinx and Culex and Smithy and everything. Played that game so much in the 90s and loved it so much.

Geno Whirl is the poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Didn't Mystic Quest have an overflow bug that allowed you to one-hit the final boss with a heal spell?

Though it's not like that kind of thing is unusual or unique among Final Fantasy games or something.

It wasn't a bug per se, it was that one phase of the last boss (the final one I think) was flagged as undead. And everyone knows what happens in Final Fantasy games if you use life spells on undead enemies.

Edit: I went to the tape and it does look an awful lot like an unsigned 16-bit overflow error. Huh.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 24, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

falz posted:

They clearly were advertising it as pre-rendered. Yes of course anything at that low of resolution would have pixel touch ups to fit colour palettes of the day. I think we can mostly agree that if someone played it back then they maybe still think it looks good, if not it's just bad.

The hi-res renders look bad but nah man, the in-game graphics look great. It looks like claymation in motion and the animations were fantastic.

This still looks better than a lot of 2D games coming out today.

And yes, now I'm loading SMRPG onto my flash cart.

e: I take that back, the splash page of Mario looking up at the sword wrapped in blue could be modern promotional material and nobody would blink.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

It wasn't a bug per se, it was that one phase of the last boss (the final one I think) was flagged as undead. And everyone knows what happens in Final Fantasy games if you use life spells on undead enemies.

Edit: I went to the tape and it does look an awful lot like an unsigned 16-bit overflow error. Huh.

Whatever it is, the TASer's notes suggest it requires you to be quite low level, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ofecks posted:

I'm with Fishmech on this one.

The only people to do a decent job with prerenders have been CAVE.

SNK makes fantastic use of pre-rendered elements in several of their fighting game backgrounds that still look great today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

al-azad posted:

The hi-res renders look bad but nah man, the in-game graphics look great. It looks like claymation in motion and the animations were fantastic.

This still looks better than a lot of 2D games coming out today.

And yes, now I'm loading SMRPG onto my flash cart.

e: I take that back, the splash page of Mario looking up at the sword wrapped in blue could be modern promotional material and nobody would blink.

The Axem Rangers in that shot really look like classic sprite work and not CG Renders at all. (Bowser and Geno look like sprites traced on renders for sure though)

I know somebody was just saying all CG is touched up by hand in that era; but it doesn't look the same as donkey kong country, that's for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

SNK makes fantastic use of pre-rendered elements in several of their fighting game backgrounds that still look great today.

King of Fighters was so great in 2D, I have no idea why they went 3D. It looks awful compared to the old games.

Oh, and speaking of CG that looks like hand animation, the 3D guilty gear games are the best 3D "animated" look I've ever seen

The next closest thing would be one of the budokai DBZ games, but they can't touch Guity Gear Xrd. Pulling that off takes a ton of work, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Zaphod42 posted:

King of Fighters was so great in 2D, I have no idea why they went 3D. It looks awful compared to the old games.

They went 3D because they spent between 2 and 4 years making the art for XII/XIII.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

The next closest thing would be one of the budokai DBZ games, but they can't touch Guity Gear Xrd. Pulling that off takes a ton of work, though.
ArcSysWorks is making a DBZ 3v3 fighter using the celshaded tech from GGXrd. It's good but there's still something just a fraction off that does t register as complete faithful to the animation.

But god drat is it a beauty.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The new DBZ game, also by Arc System Works, looks insane and somehow tops their Guilty Gear work.

We've come a long way since Dragon Ball Z: The Legend, maybe my first game import?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Has anyone else ordered a deluxe edition flash cart from Stone Age Gamer? I picked up a Mega Everdrive and wanted the case and manual to fit in on the shelf next to our boxed retail games, and they sent me just the flash cart. Did the extra stuff come as a second shipment, or did they just gently caress up? At least the flash cart itself is cool :sigh:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Someone convince me to not buy a Neo Geo X off ebay...

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Only Shallow posted:

Has anyone else ordered a deluxe edition flash cart from Stone Age Gamer? I picked up a Mega Everdrive and wanted the case and manual to fit in on the shelf next to our boxed retail games, and they sent me just the flash cart. Did the extra stuff come as a second shipment, or did they just gently caress up? At least the flash cart itself is cool :sigh:

I'm pretty sure my Everdrive 64 came inside the case with everything. I'd contact them.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The Machine posted:

I don't really get the point of the Neo Geo X. If you want to play with OK emulation, you can get the games on anything from PS2 onward pretty easily. If you want a Neo Geo console, then get one or an MVS. The Neo Geo X isn't even that cheap, either, just save up a bit more and get a Nintendo Switch, you'll get access to a large library of Neo Geo games in a portable format, and can player other good games.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

The Machine posted:

This should be enough convincing.

https://youtu.be/VbR_Rbg3fdc

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ArcSys's Xrd engine is absolutely beautiful and it looks incredible in motion. Like, it's really hard to tell that it's 3D until the camera pulls out into a different perspective for flashy finishers or something. This is hardly retro, but I was joking around with some friends about Persona 5 spinoffs and I was against another ArcSys fighter until I realized they might use the Xrd engine and now I really want that.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

EnvyJ posted:

Due to limited funds as a child and not caring I skipped over all the SNES RPGs and have only played through some of Super Mario RPG, please suggest where I should start!

Must-Plays: Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Final Fantasy III/VI, Final Fantasy II/IV, Terranigma, Secret of Mana

Pretty Good: Illusion of Gaia, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals, Soul Blazer

Underrated: Dragon View

Entertaining Enough: Secret of Evermore, Ogre Battle

Largely Average But Impressive At First: Lufia and the Fortress of Doom

Not Great But Intriguingly Weird: Paladin's Quest, Robotrek

Mediocre: Breath of Fire, Breath of Fire 2, Brain Lord, Inindo, Drakkhen, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Tecmo's Secret of the Stars, The 7th Saga, Arcana, Brandish

Maybe Not Even RPGs But Still Fun: Harvest Moon, The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang

Notable Fan-Translated SFC Games Not Available in English Elsewhere: Seiken Densetsu 3, Live A Live, Emerald Dragon, Star Ocean, Treasure Hunter G, Romancing Saga 3, Treasure of the Rudras

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

vs

I get you're a bit dim, but the only way this disagrees with me is if you think that fighting game looks better.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yeah I can see not liking the general look but if you liked it back in 1994 I am surprised you now don't. Because truthfully when Super Mario RPG came out I was genuinely amazed at the graphics (not DKC so much) but even when N64 and PS1 was out I thought their graphics were garbage (except for a rare gem like Legend of Mana which sucks but it impressed me visually).

Take my opinions with a grain of salt though because I actually think Killer Instinct arcade looks better than Killer Instinct for Xbox One which I know makes no sense.

Sure as poo poo didn't like it in 1994 because I never saw it until like 1999 when there were already Dreamcast, late-stage PS1 and mid-stage N64 games around. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

ChaosArgate posted:

ArcSys's Xrd engine is absolutely beautiful and it looks incredible in motion. Like, it's really hard to tell that it's 3D until the camera pulls out into a different perspective for flashy finishers or something. This is hardly retro, but I was joking around with some friends about Persona 5 spinoffs and I was against another ArcSys fighter until I realized they might use the Xrd engine and now I really want that.

look at dragonball fighterz on YouTube

• Locked thread