Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nenonen posted:

it's the portrait of a hook-nosed, hunchbacked, tiny-limbed man who has died of terrible wounds to his head

King Richard the Third?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tias posted:

Says an American? You bought them off us :stare::hf::denmark:

The Danish West Indies is still a pretty hot topic by the way, making headlines as soon as last month. Some people believed we should teach about it in schools, offer a formal apology, or both.

Other than the fact I have been there the only other reason I know the US bought the Virgin Islands (well our part) from the Danish is because a Victoria event always fired asking if I wanted to buy them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

feedmegin posted:

They were 'apprenticed', technically. Was supposed to be 6 years; there were enough protests that that ended after 4.

If anyone wants to learn more about this, the askhistorians_podcast has a pretty good summary of how white planters in the British Caribbean tried to pull of the same sharecropper+Jim Crow system that the US South would establish after the end of US slavery, and why they weren't as successful in doing so.

Basically, the British Caribbean had more land that was farmable, but not profitable for plantations, compared to most of the Southern US. Also, the colonial government did not get along with the former planter elite, unlike the southern state governments of the early 20th century.

What is it with racially-charged slavery where the only response to full abolition is to try to create racial slavery 2.0?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

golden bubble posted:

What is it with racially-charged slavery where the only response to full abolition is to try to create racial slavery 2.0?

Haters gon hate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

golden bubble posted:

Cheap labor unprotected by laws presents a maaaaaasive economic incentive.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

golden bubble posted:

If anyone wants to learn more about this, the askhistorians_podcast has a pretty good summary of how white planters in the British Caribbean tried to pull of the same sharecropper+Jim Crow system that the US South would establish after the end of US slavery, and why they weren't as successful in doing so.

Basically, the British Caribbean had more land that was farmable, but not profitable for plantations, compared to most of the Southern US. Also, the colonial government did not get along with the former planter elite, unlike the southern state governments of the early 20th century.

Always kinda bums me out when the answer to "why don't (guys) do (evil thing)" is just "wasn't worth it in that place and time".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Also also, most Caribbean islands (except Barbados iirc) were below replacement rate - slaves died quicker than new slaves could be born (despite the, ah, 'heroic' efforts of people like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Thistlewood to keep the birth rate up) - so once the slave trade was abolished, it was never going to be practical to keep things too close to the way they were long-term.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That's covered in the podcast: the replacement rate problem mostly exists because A. Plantation owners bought alot more male slaves than female slaves, which obviously isn't viable long term, and B. lack of ability for slave mothers to care for their children before being forced back to work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nothing to seehere posted:

That's covered in the podcast: the replacement rate problem mostly exists because A. Plantation owners bought alot more male slaves than female slaves, which obviously isn't viable long term, and B. lack of ability for slave mothers to care for their children before being forced back to work.

Both those things were true in the US South before the abolition of the trade too, though. There's more going on than that. (Shittier climate, shittier work since they were farming sugar not cotton/tobacco).

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
It wasn't just low birth rates, mortality for adult slaves was also insane. I don't have my book in front of me right now ("Avengers of the New World" if you're curious). But IIRC 10-15% of slaves in Saint-Domingue died of disease or overwork each year, and mortality tended to increase over time as physical exhaustion reduced resistance. Most individuals died within five years of their arrival on the island, agricultural labor was basically a death sentence, even minor shows of resistance were met with horrifically extreme reprisal, and long-term survival hinged on collaborating your way into some less labor-intensive position (e.g. L'Ouverture was a supervisor) or absconding to a maroon encampment.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

It wasn't just low birth rates, mortality for adult slaves was also insane. I don't have my book in front of me right now ("Avengers of the New World" if you're curious). But IIRC 10-15% of slaves in Saint-Domingue died of disease or overwork each year, and mortality tended to increase over time as physical exhaustion reduced resistance. Most individuals died within five years of their arrival on the island, agricultural labor was basically a death sentence, even minor shows of resistance were met with horrifically extreme reprisal, and long-term survival hinged on collaborating your way into some less labor-intensive position (e.g. L'Ouverture was a supervisor) or absconding to a maroon encampment.

How the hell was slavery still profitable with that level of mortality? Could they just buy slaves for pennies on the dollar?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

golden bubble posted:

How the hell was slavery still profitable with that level of mortality? Could they just buy slaves for pennies on the dollar?

IIRC Sugar was insanely profitable.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Sugar was so profitable that Britain was willing to risk losing the American Colonies to protect their sugar plantations. During the War of Independence, despite the fact that the Royal Navy was already pushed to the limit with convoy duty (due to the Continental Navy, the French Navy, the State Navies, sanctioned privateers, and unsanctioned privateers the naval part of that war was essentially a 1770s version of the Battle of The Atlantic, and equipment captured on the high seas saved the Revolution on multiple occasions) and defending core possessions such as the British Isles, powerful and desperately needed battle squadrons were sent to protect the sugar plantations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jamaica was more profitable than the thirteen colonies combined.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

P-Mack posted:

I'll take your Danish West Indies and raise you Courland's colonization of Tobago.

I know about that one but only because a chunk of my ancestors were smug wealthy German Kurlanders. :v:

Relatedly, guess my favorite underappreciated Russian Empress

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Sugar was so profitable that Britain was willing to risk losing the American Colonies to protect their sugar plantations. During the War of Independence, despite the fact that the Royal Navy was already pushed to the limit with convoy duty (due to the Continental Navy, the French Navy, the State Navies, sanctioned privateers, and unsanctioned privateers the naval part of that war was essentially a 1770s version of the Battle of The Atlantic, and equipment captured on the high seas saved the Revolution on multiple occasions) and defending core possessions such as the British Isles, powerful and desperately needed battle squadrons were sent to protect the sugar plantations.

Let's face it, it was mostly the French navy in this one.

Also, yes, slaves were way cheaper compared to eg the 1850s when the slave trade was still in operation. Equivalent to buying, I dunno, a particular nice strimmer today. And if it breaks, well, then you go buy another one, cost of doing business.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pontius Pilate posted:

And wasn't St Domingue/Haiti even more profitable than that?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

are there any good alternative histories where charles 5 hapsburg and totoyomi hideyoshi successfully invade the ming dynasty and rule it together?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

feedmegin posted:

Let's face it, it was mostly the French navy in this one.

The primary contributions of the French Navy in the War of Independence were tying down the British fleet in the Channel and the West Indies, and breaking the blockade of the Colonies. Quite substantial contributions, of course, but the Continental Navy, the state navies, and privateers also made critical contributions that have been largely overlooked by naval historians, mostly due to the influence of Mahan.

British commerce was so badly ravaged during the fighting that a huge amount of British trade wound up traveling in Dutch ships for fear of attack, insurance rates skyrocketed, and Parliament was practically besieged by merchants demanding an end to the losses. Lloyds of London records 3087 ships taken by American privateers, of which 879 were retaken. A rough estimate of the value of this lost shipping is in the range of $70,000,000; which Britain's already strained finances couldn't afford. Not only this, but the cargoes of those ships were vital to sustaining the Revolution itself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gnoman posted:

British commerce was so badly ravaged during the fighting that a huge amount of British trade wound up traveling in Dutch ships for fear of attack, insurance rates skyrocketed, and Parliament was practically besieged by merchants demanding an end to the losses. Lloyds of London records 3087 ships taken by American privateers, of which 879 were retaken. A rough estimate of the value of this lost shipping is in the range of $70,000,000; which Britain's already strained finances couldn't afford. Not only this, but the cargoes of those ships were vital to sustaining the Revolution itself.

This was also a factor in the British decision to end the War of 1812. American privateers and commerce raiders inflicted enormous damage to British trade and seriously embarrassed the Royal Navy - not decisively so in absolute terms considering just how wealthy Britain was and the overall military strength of the Royal Navy, but more than enough to get the British public loudly wondering why this war was necessary at all.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pontius Pilate posted:

Another example: At the end of the Seven Years War, the French were given the choice of keeping either New France(a swath of territory extending from Newfoundland to Mississippi), or Guadeloupe and Martinique. They chose the latter and it made perfect sense.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Cythereal posted:

This was also a factor in the British decision to end the War of 1812. American privateers and commerce raiders inflicted enormous damage to British trade and seriously embarrassed the Royal Navy - not decisively so in absolute terms considering just how wealthy Britain was and the overall military strength of the Royal Navy, but more than enough to get the British public loudly wondering why this war was necessary at all.

It was also ruinous for the American merchant marine, hence furious opposition in New England. The war was pretty pointless for all involved.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

P-Mack posted:

It was also ruinous for the American merchant marine, hence furious opposition in New England. The war was pretty pointless for all involved.

On the upside, the War of 1812 did a lot to establish American-British relations as friendly rather than adversarial. Both nations concluded that war between them was economic disaster for them both and it made a hell of a lot more economic sense for both to be trading partners.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Shame it cost two promising British Army generals and the veteran soldiers coming back from it across the Atlantic would have been well appreciated at Waterloo.

Sorry, I am a musket half cocked kind of guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dust off those crazy counterfactuals fellas.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

On the upside, the War of 1812 did a lot to establish American-British relations as friendly rather than adversarial. Both nations concluded that war between them was economic disaster for them both and it made a hell of a lot more economic sense for both to be trading partners.

I wouldn't call America and Britain friends at that point yet. They just realized that while both wanted to get stronger that both parties optimal path did not interfere with the other.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Subtle. Let's see if it's fake news or if he's also gay. :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

/\ YOU CLAIMJUMPING HOOLIGAN

This is not a photoshop. :vince:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I didn't know much about the American Revolution until reading "Struggle for Seapower" recently. It was a really interesting read. It discusses the naval aspect of the war. Never knew France and Britain fought off the coast of S Africa and India or that France and Spain attempted an invasion of England, directly due to the Revolution.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The True Finns have a bunch of candidates with immigrant backgrounds and every single one of them so far has either quit the party or been a basket case. I wonder which one he'll be!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

FastestGunAlive posted:

I didn't know much about the American Revolution until reading "Struggle for Seapower" recently. It was a really interesting read. It discusses the naval aspect of the war. Never knew France and Britain fought off the coast of S Africa and India or that France and Spain attempted an invasion of England, directly due to the Revolution.

Churchill pretty much stated that the 7 Year Wars that happened before was technically the 1st World War before the Great War being a truly sort of global conflict now. It's one of those rare moments where he was right. The American Revolution and Napoleonic Wars also had conflict of the same at sea.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Yea I had a history teacher in high school that made that comparison and it's always stuck with me. Seven Years War is one I've been meaning to really get into detail on studying. I've got a hell of a backlog right now; working on a book on Wellington's artillery, then a study of ACW generals and then I don't even know what to start on in my pile.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SeanBeansShako posted:

Shame it cost two promising British Army generals and the veteran soldiers coming back from it across the Atlantic would have been well appreciated at Waterloo.

Sorry, I am a musket half cocked kind of guy.

The outcome of Waterloo would not have changed anything because it pretty much would've reset Napoleon's situation to 1814 but it does let the British feel more manly having directly fought Napoleon for once.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

golden bubble posted:

People have already given the brief "sugar was valuable response," so I will elaborate a little bit. Profits from commodities produced in the Caribbean--by the late 18th century this was principally sugar, coffee, & indigo--were very high, but this is only part of the story. Slaves were valuable but only to the extent that they were agricultural equipment. That is, their value was what you got out of them in form of those commodities. There are also upkeep costs in food, housing, and medical care to keep them working.

You can work them harder and spend less on their upkeep, but that results in increased mortality and cost to replace the dead. In Saint-Domingue the French found that their profits were maximized with a system that produced the mortality rates I described. They did not discover this by accident, either. There was a deliberate long-term process of experimentation: using different cultivars, importing different foods for the slaves, improving "management" techniques. They found the point on the chart where productivity gains and mortality intersected at maximum profit.

There was an important element of continuous innovation that is often obscured in discussion of slavery. Historians coming from the old-school Whig perspective of continuous human progress liked to think of New World slavery as some kind of historical throwback or aberration. And apologists for slavery also justified themselves by drawing the distinction that they were benevolent aristocrats rather than ruthless capitalists. More recently there has been some great work on slavery as a capitalist enterprise--e.g. efficiency moves like mid-19th-century Southern US cotton planters adopting cultivars that were taller, making the movements required to pick the boll faster and easier to boost production.

The particular trick with African slavery was that the costs of continuously importing people were unsustainable, but for the most part borne not by the importer but by the communities the slaves were sourced from. 1-5 man-years of sugar production, though valuable, was probably still a fairly lovely payoff for the costs to society of raising an individual human being to working age, and the damage suffered by having huge numbers of people pulled out of society to be rapidly worked to death. That's why they paid one African kingdom to steal humans from another. The costs are externalized. As a bonus, payment was usually rendered in either slave-related commodities (e.g. rum) or in tools the slavers would use to steal more humans (e.g. firearms). Very efficient.

This calculus obviously changed after the Atlantic Slave Trade ended.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gnoman posted:

The primary contributions of the French Navy in the War of Independence were tying down the British fleet in the Channel and the West Indies, and breaking the blockade of the Colonies. Quite substantial contributions, of course, but the Continental Navy, the state navies, and privateers also made critical contributions that have been largely overlooked by naval historians, mostly due to the influence of Mahan.

You are, ah, downplaying this a hell of a lot. No Battle of the Chesapeake (won entirely by the French, no yanks involved), no surrender of Cornwallis. No surrender of any British army ever that is anywhere near the coast. Commerce raiding is a thing but in and of itself it doesn't win wars; this is not 1940, Britain is not dependent on Atlantic commerce to survive, and merchants always bitch about wars with, generally speaking, little effect (see also New England and 1812, as previously mentioned). America did not have first rate ships of the line and France did. The difference matters.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 8, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

You can work them harder and spend less on their upkeep, but that results in increased mortality and cost to replace the dead. In Saint-Domingue the French found that their profits were maximized with a system that produced the mortality rates I described. They did not discover this by accident, either. There was a deliberate long-term process of experimentation: using different cultivars, importing different foods for the slaves, improving "management" techniques. They found the point on the chart where productivity gains and mortality intersected at maximum profit.

jesus christ

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

The outcome of Waterloo would not have changed anything because it pretty much would've reset Napoleon's situation to 1814 but it does let the British feel more manly having directly fought Napoleon for once.

When else were the British supposed to fight him?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Panzeh posted:

A lot less British soldiers would have died and half the KGL wouldn't have been sacrificed to hold a stupid farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Koramei posted:

jesus christ

Chattel slavery: Turns out that, yes, it's really bad.