Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

... offer does not apply if the laws are Brazilian.

or european

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

... offer does not apply if the laws are Brazilian.

oh he silently folded on that, he didn't tweet about it but his lawyers went to the Brazilian court and bowed and apologised and agreed to cooperate

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol the Q1 earnings aren't even going live until Tuesday night. I think we'll see the stock go way lower than it has already.

https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1781354726669562303

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

DarkSol posted:

i do think it's hilarious that Tesla's stock has wiped out any gains it made over the past year. still vastly overvalued, but it's a start.

reminder that in the pump phase of this pump and dump there was a cumulative 15X stock split so it's still got a long long way to fall

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

oh hey now we know how many were actually delivered https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/1781269669757776045

Is selling 4000 cars not enough for some regulators to give the car a gander and say "yeah no fam that does not conform to road safety regulations"

like, clearly this is not something that is only going to be a bespoke, hand-made piece of poo poo made to order.

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

refleks posted:

Is selling 4000 cars not enough for some regulators to give the car a gander and say "yeah no fam that does not conform to road safety regulations"

like, clearly this is not something that is only going to be a bespoke, hand-made piece of poo poo made to order.

near infinite mass

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

nobody is giving dark money to musk by juicing the Tesla stock price that's just stupid, there are way easier ways to do it, e.g. by loaning money to buy some stupid website and then declining to call in the debt when it implodes, leaving it as a "gift" but with a side of blackmail

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
facebook has been deprioritizing engagement bait for a decade, how in the world is it possible that they did this without grok?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

i hate elon more but dogeman is somehow even more pathetic.

yep

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

boethius posted:

near infinite mass

yes we've seen the pics of him on the boat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

a white hole, if you will

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

nobody is giving dark money to musk by juicing the Tesla stock price that's just stupid, there are way easier ways to do it, e.g. by loaning money to buy some stupid website and then declining to call in the debt when it implodes, leaving it as a "gift" but with a side of blackmail

nobody is forgiving a several billion dollar loan lmao

it is far more likely someone needs or wants the price to be above $150 for some unspecified, nebulous reason. having stock collateralized makes the most sense, but as pointed out many times, who knows

it could be algorithmic, it could be people, it could be hedge funds, hell it could be elon's private office (he wouldn't have to report that publicly). we don't know

what we do know is that the stock meets heavy resistance to dropping below $150. that usually seems to work, but in this case, it isn't lol. again, that could mean nothing, and it could mean something, we don't know

one thing i am sure of, though: elon is probably miserable about it. when your entire sense of self-worth is tied to a number you have vanishingly little control over, and it is in decline due to your repeated, horrifically self-owning and very public mistakes that you are in denial over... he's Big Mad. he's gotta be

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Beeftweeter posted:

nobody is forgiving a several billion dollar loan lmao

idk about this man

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Beeftweeter posted:

it could be algorithmic, it could be people, it could be hedge funds, hell it could be elon's private office (he wouldn't have to report that publicly). we don't know

its the musk foundation

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

idk about this man

why would they? it's not like elon has more money stashed away somewhere: he clearly had to sell off about ~40% of his tesla shares, leaving him with some ~11% (which he is clearly dissatisfied with, cf. him threatening to walk if they don't give him at least another 9%). assuming he plowed all of that into twitter, big financial institutions provided the bulk of the rest

keep in mind individuals like larry ellison, despite throwing at least $1 billion into it, own shares; they are not loans, neither is the money put up by e.g. the saudis, which have something like 5% of x corp iirc. that's an investment and they were provided shares in return

otoh the big banks like morgan stanley provided several billions in loans. while i don't know off the top of my head the terms of those loans (iirc they are public), considering that most of elon's ostensible net worth comes from his ownership of tesla shares (otherwise he wouldn't have had to have liquidated them), it's very likely he collateralized a decent chunk

either way i don't think a big bank like morgan stanley or (i think it was) BofA would just forgive billions in loans to a clearly failing company, issued to someone who clearly has enough collateral to back them in the event they are not repaid

e: light grammar cleanup

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 19, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

idk i mean i guess i dont mean like actual forgiveness but just like write it off as a loss

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

im not a dude of funds so i dont understand a lot of finance poo poo idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

im not a dude of funds so i dont understand a lot of finance poo poo idk

tbh i'm not either, but i do know banks don't usually like to do that

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
it's assumed that the saudis don't care if they lose their money, they just want ongoing access to twitter users' private data

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's likely the 150 thing had nothing to do with elon musk personally, it's probably some pe firm, or kathie wood

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

...! posted:

it's assumed that the saudis don't care if they lose their money, they just want ongoing access to twitter users' private data

they almost certainly don't care. it's an investment by their state investment fund. i'm sure they know investments aren't a sure thing, but they probably didn't realize that risk is basically assured if you're investing in elon musk buying twitter specifically lol

either way you're probably right, they just want insider access to the platform

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats a big cut

https://twitter.com/tphuang/status/1781375886777831715

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

i want these things to happen too

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

it's literally just driving down a regular dirt road

https://x.com/teslaownersSV/status/1781180362129052020

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
god those videos are just embarrassing. i've driven mini coopers on far worse terrain at a much higher speed and probably had a lot more fun doing it than these bozos

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

30% production, 30-40% in headcount?

lmao they're gonna leave china and elon's going to go hard on the xenophobia and jingoism. i give it about a month

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

like it just blows my mind that every single tesla guy actually thinks that off road means driving on an unpaved surface

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
first car syndrome

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My first car was a piece of poo poo.

I loved it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
when i was a kid, i used to ride a one-speed bicycle with a banana seat and a coaster brake on dirt roads worse than that.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

My first car was a piece of poo poo.

I loved it.

Same but I paid $200 for it and not $100000

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

...! posted:

it's literally just driving down a regular dirt road

https://x.com/teslaownersSV/status/1781180362129052020

i'm like 99% sure that it's not considered "off roading" when you're on a road

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
$200 for a '79 cutlass, put 10k miles on it in a year, blew the motor, sold it for $200.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1781369839996825630?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

there should be one of those long rear end articles about everyone whose job it is to bail elon out of poo poo he does every day, like cathy shoveling money into a lithium fire trying to unsquash the titan or yacc being the x wife, constantly wineposting and cheering for the burning dumpster that emerged when she pulled the ripcord on her career

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jonny 290 posted:

first car syndrome

i don't think it's entirely that, there's plenty of older tesla drivers like this too. i think it's basically because they're car people that hate driving cars

for fucks sake one of the main selling points to these people is that it poorly drives itself while full well knowing it may in fact kill them, and that's still better than driving to them

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cat Face Joe posted:

like it just blows my mind that every single tesla guy actually thinks that off road means driving on an unpaved surface

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i keep sayin it but the 'road' into my cabin that i regularly traverse in a bone stock mid-2000s Honda Odyssey minivan is far worse than the road pictured there.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Beeftweeter posted:

for fucks sake one of the main selling points to these people is that it poorly drives itself while full well knowing it may in fact kill them, and that's still better than driving to them

either i get where i'm going or it doesn't matter if i get where i'm going, sounds like a win/win imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

look either get me to my destination or behead me while i'm watching a movie by going under a truck at 80mph

in both outcomes i'm not stuck in stop and go traffic to sit in an office to do a job i could do just as well from home, is all i'm sayin