Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

After seeing various commercials for The Crazies, I can't get over how blue it is. What is it about blue filters that screams "horror movie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

If you want to see a fat kid's cock graphically leak with puss and blood then this is totally the film for you!
You also get the bonus of seeing a girl spit out a mouthful of cum after sucking off said fat kid.:barf: Now that I think about it, there was an above average amount of fatty sexing going on in this movie.

finchy
Feb 12, 2005
Whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop whoop

DrVenkman posted:

However it has a weird tacked on coda that seems to run for 10 minutes after the main film has ended. It's like they couldn't find anywhere for this subplot with a minor character to go so they just threw it on at the end rather than leave it on the cutting room floor.

I've been led to believe this scene was added post-production without the directors consent. It's also been said that the supporting cast, or extras, in that scene were the executive producers, getting some screen time is the new black.

Apparently Ty West had a pretty impressive cry about the whole ordeal and wanted his name removed from the film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

finchy posted:

I've been led to believe this scene was added post-production without the directors consent. It's also been said that the supporting cast, or extras, in that scene were the executive producers, getting some screen time is the new black.

Apparently Ty West had a pretty impressive cry about the whole ordeal and wanted his name removed from the film.

All I read was that he tried to get an Alan Smithee credit on the film because so much was changed. Honestly though I'm curious what the 'original' version was supposed to be like.

I don't think it quite straddles the line between funny/gross like the original film does (I'm a fan of it) but the gross bits are incredibly gross. It's just a shame the ending scene spoils it so much (Though to be fair if we didn't see that particular character again we would've just been wondering where she was anyway).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Y-Hat posted:

After seeing various commercials for The Crazies, I can't get over how blue it is. What is it about blue filters that screams "horror movie?"

I think it's the dreamlike quality that the blue filter brings. Personally I prefer non-filtered camerawork, like in the old movies.

Oh, nostalgia.

Hm, come to think of it, the Nightmare movies all used super heavy duty blue filter in Freddy's dream world. I may be on to something here...

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

QPZIL posted:

Hm, come to think of it, the Nightmare movies all used super heavy duty blue filter in Freddy's dream world. I may be on to something here...
If the intent was to make The Crazies "dreamlike" then they really, really hosed up the source material.

northerain
Apr 8, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
How is Cabin Fever 2 even a sequel to the first one? There's no cabin in sight and I'm pretty sure there's no mention of the cabin fever effect from which the movie gets it's name.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I think that the school gets its water from the contaminated resevoir from the first movie. And maybe Ryder Strong is in it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

northerain posted:

How is Cabin Fever 2 even a sequel to the first one? There's no cabin in sight and I'm pretty sure there's no mention of the cabin fever effect from which the movie gets it's name.

The water truck you see drive away in the first film delivers water to the local high school. The film does change some aspects of the virus however, and is faster acting than it was in the original film.

As for Rider Strong's role (MAJOR SPOILERS) It's actually really funny, he wakes up in the water he was dumped in at the end of the first film and makes it out to the road all deformed, where he's promptly destroyed by a School Bus in the first of the films many gory scenes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

UncleMonkey posted:

If the intent was to make The Crazies "dreamlike" then they really, really hosed up the source material.

I just mean horror movies in general, I'm not saying that they're trying to make The Crazies seem "dreamlike" per se.

Midnight Thud
Feb 12, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

The water truck you see drive away in the first film delivers water to the local high school. The film does change some aspects of the virus however, and is faster acting than it was in the original film.

As for Rider Strong's role (MAJOR SPOILERS) It's actually really funny, he wakes up in the water he was dumped in at the end of the first film and makes it out to the road all deformed, where he's promptly destroyed by a School Bus in the first of the films many gory scenes.

Awesome. I really need to see this movie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Whispering Machines posted:

I think that the school gets its water from the contaminated resevoir from the first movie. And maybe Ryder Strong is in it.

Also Giuseppe Andrews, Winston the deputy, from the first movie.

Watched it tonight and was entertained. It's definitely gross as gently caress, not the worst I've seen but it's too gross for a wide audience.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

QPZIL posted:

I just mean horror movies in general, I'm not saying that they're trying to make The Crazies seem "dreamlike" per se.
Ah, OK. Sorry, I'm still a little bitter. You'd think after so many years of remakes now, apathy would have set in, but nope.

On an unrelated note, the trailer for the new Neil Marshall movie is out. It's not horror, but it's still Neil Marshall; and as far as I'm concerned, it looks awesome. Hopefully we don't have to wait for loving ever to get a U.S. release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eJf4tukWw

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

UncleMonkey posted:

Ah, OK. Sorry, I'm still a little bitter. You'd think after so many years of remakes now, apathy would have set in, but nope.

On an unrelated note, the trailer for the new Neil Marshall movie is out. It's not horror, but it's still Neil Marshall; and as far as I'm concerned, it looks awesome. Hopefully we don't have to wait for loving ever to get a U.S. release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eJf4tukWw

If you mean you are bitter about the Crazies remake, then know you are not alone. :)

I like the look of that Centurian movie, had to look him up but I thought I recognised Mickey from the newer Dr. WHO in there, and sure enough it's him (Noel Clarke). Glad to see he's gotten some work, he really grew on me in the series.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

A second Nightmare on Elm Street trailer was just dropped.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/19266

Featuring a lot more Freddy, and the reintroduction of micro-naps! Also some jarring CGI, you'll know it when you see it.

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 25, 2010

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Blah, I mean, I'm an 80's kid so me going to see it is a given, but I'm disappointed by the lack of 'dream imagination' (CG advances should let them go hog wild with the dreams), amount of apparent jump scares (which Freddy was never really about), and that every death I glimpse seems to just be a remake from the first movie as opposed to something new and interesting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
they ruined one of the best scenes of the original with that cheap cgi shot, other than that I liked the trailer

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Darko posted:

Blah, I mean, I'm an 80's kid so me going to see it is a given, but I'm disappointed by the lack of 'dream imagination' (CG advances should let them go hog wild with the dreams), amount of apparent jump scares (which Freddy was never really about), and that every death I glimpse seems to just be a remake from the first movie as opposed to something new and interesting.

While all of your remarks are certainly not wrong, I still think the second trailer looks a whole lot better than the first one. I'm not really surprised about the death scenes being mostly remakes. It's a remake/reboot after all, not a sequel, and it's not sticking TOO closely to the original either. I also like that they've decided to make Freddy a bit less of a jokester, some of the original movies really got a lot too silly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've just become so disillusioned with the reliance on jump scares - in all horror movies, not just the ANoES remake. They piss me off more than they scare me, really.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

What's awesome is that I recognize a few of the actors from Friday the 13th (the 2009 one) and Freddy vs Jason.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DominoDancing posted:

While all of your remarks are certainly not wrong, I still think the second trailer looks a whole lot better than the first one. I'm not really surprised about the death scenes being mostly remakes. It's a remake/reboot after all, not a sequel, and it's not sticking TOO closely to the original either. I also like that they've decided to make Freddy a bit less of a jokester, some of the original movies really got a lot too silly.

Freddy wasn't a jokester till 3, really (slightly in 2), so that's no surprise at all. I think we're both on the same wavelength, it's just an annoyance when, now, you don't have to build crazy rear end sets to make dreamscapes and can literally do whatever comes to the imagination and have it come off more realistic and...you end up seeing the same things you saw in the first movie.

Even Freddy's 'weed bug" from FvJ was a little more interesting than anything in the first movie that's SEEMINGLY being repeated, or any of the new standard "I'm not sure if I'm dreaming" stuff that SEEMINGLY composes what this one seems to focus on.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 26, 2010

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Dread Central gave the remake of The Crazies a really good review. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. While it's true that I was very pessimistic about a remake like Dawn of the Dead that turned out to be not so much a remake as a re-imagining (and a loving fantastic one at that), I'm not sure about this case. If you stray too far from the source content of the original, you risk losing what makes the original Crazies so good to begin with.

For me, The Crazies is virtually tied with Martin as my favorite Romero film. But maybe it's possible. Maybe they actually got this right. I dunno. I want to hear from some other people that love the original as much as I do. But I may have to check this out this weekend.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Well...the voice sounds a little better. Though he really seems like he's montoning it pretty badly. I get the whole "Let's get rid of joker Freddy" thing, but it's a little overboard to strip him of all emotion whatsoever.

I find it amusing and depressing that the original wall scene looked about 50 times better than THAT poo poo. It makes me wonder what else they'll pointlessly CGI. I was under the impression that practical effects were cheaper than CGI? Why in the name of loving CHRIST doesn't anyone ever do practical effects anymore?

Also old Freddy's laugh was way better.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

UncleMonkey posted:

Dread Central gave the remake of The Crazies a really good review. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. While it's true that I was very pessimistic about a remake like Dawn of the Dead that turned out to be not so much a remake as a re-imagining (and a loving fantastic one at that), I'm not sure about this case. If you stray too far from the source content of the original, you risk losing what makes the original Crazies so good to begin with.

For me, The Crazies is virtually tied with Martin as my favorite Romero film. But maybe it's possible. Maybe they actually got this right. I dunno. I want to hear from some other people that love the original as much as I do. But I may have to check this out this weekend.

They're not the only one, gotten a 73% on Rotten Tomatoes. Heading off to see this tonight.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

spixxor posted:

Well...the voice sounds a little better. Though he really seems like he's montoning it pretty badly. I get the whole "Let's get rid of joker Freddy" thing, but it's a little overboard to strip him of all emotion whatsoever.

I find it amusing and depressing that the original wall scene looked about 50 times better than THAT poo poo. It makes me wonder what else they'll pointlessly CGI. I was under the impression that practical effects were cheaper than CGI? Why in the name of loving CHRIST doesn't anyone ever do practical effects anymore?

Also old Freddy's laugh was way better.

Practical effects can be more expensive and time consuming than CG at this point.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

spixxor posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to give this remake a chance, but the lovely effects of that scene in the trailer scared me. I can only hope that they are REALLY unfinished.

Off subject, does anyone know if there are any plans for a [REC] 2 release in the US, DVD or otherwise? I've been looking forward to seeing that one for awhile.

live nudes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 27, 2010

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cabin Fever 2 was pretty awful, I don't know if there's an unrated version but what I saw was pretty lame compared to the first movie. Not a fan of how they made the virus into basically vomiting up blood instead of rotting your flesh away and probably the best gore effect in the entire movie was when the kid got his face bashed in with a fire extinguisher. Also, the ending was so loving bad. The two characters left at the end just disappear from the movie with no resolution, and the strip club scenes are dumb and irrelevant.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Just saw The Crazies, decent enough, nothing to great, had some decent set pieces (Car Wash being the stand out) but it felt like it was missing something, pacing was off at times also.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Just saw The Crazies as well, and as said before it was alright. I never saw the original movie, and I went into this one more or less blind, only seeing part of a trailer for it, yet I was still able to basically predict the major twists. Overall though, it wasn't bad, just average.

This is a little off-topic, but I saw the car wash scene mentioned and I just want to say I can't stand car wash scenes in horror films, because you have to really really try to get killed in a car wash, everything is made of cloth and soap. It just seems that in order to get a car wash scene to work the actors all have to become completely inept for the duration, because doing something as simple as stepping on the brakes will get you out of the car wash of death.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The Duke posted:

Cabin Fever 2 was pretty awful, I don't know if there's an unrated version but what I saw was pretty lame compared to the first movie. Not a fan of how they made the virus into basically vomiting up blood instead of rotting your flesh away and probably the best gore effect in the entire movie was when the kid got his face bashed in with a fire extinguisher. Also, the ending was so loving bad. The two characters left at the end just disappear from the movie with no resolution, and the strip club scenes are dumb and irrelevant.

If you saw puss leaking out of a fat kids dick then it was the unrated cut you saw.

The strip club stuff was handled by one of the producers, and changes like that made the Director try to get his name removed from the finished film. Still, I did love the 'Prom Night' homage.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Dunno if anyone is interested in this king of thing, but Fright Rags just released a limited edition Tar Man shirt that was designed by the same guy who made the character in Return of the Living Dead which is pretty cool.

http://www.fright-rags.com/artist-series-c-19.html

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Dunno if anyone is interested in this king of thing, but Fright Rags just released a limited edition Tar Man shirt that was designed by the same guy who made the character in Return of the Living Dead which is pretty cool.

http://www.fright-rags.com/artist-series-c-19.html

William Stout, an incredible Artist. He also did the poster for Wizards and tons of other stuff, but his Dinosaur books and Art are really awesome.
http://www.williamstout.com/

I'd love to get one of those shirts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey guys! I have a netflix account and an xbox360. I'm looking to watch a horror movie tonight, and would like to get some recommendations. List off a few, and I'll give one a go. As well as right a small review afterwords. No Troma movies though, unless it's really something special. Thanks internet friends!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Harminoff posted:

Hey guys! I have a netflix account and an xbox360. I'm looking to watch a horror movie tonight, and would like to get some recommendations. List off a few, and I'll give one a go. As well as right a small review afterwords. No Troma movies though, unless it's really something special. Thanks internet friends!

I just found out that Dead Snow is on there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3263908 is a thread of recommendations that are Instant.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Hockles posted:

I just found out that Dead Snow is on there.

Thanks for this. I watched it last night and loved it!

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
This is where we can talk and review horror movies, right?

Just watched a S. Korean movie on Netflix last night, The Butcher. Basic snuff industry story, the gimmick was that the victims had camera helmets so pretty much all of it was shot through their view (save the couple times when it was shot from the "director" handheld camera).

It sounded like an interesting idea if it was used in a sort of cat & mouse chase, but instead it was pretty much the victim bounded and screaming for the entire movie. Ended up being more style over substance since the camera gimmick would get in the way of the action/story.

If you are into slasher flicks with emphasis on torture, you might like it, but overall I thought it was sort of boring. Only stayed through to see if anything happens in the end, but it pretty much just ended abrupt.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thanks to these goon threads I've just watched "Severance" and "Dead Snow" on Netflix instant streaming over the last two days.

It's really great to know that good horror movies are still being made. I really liked both, but "Dead Snow" was a little bit too crazy and over the top at the finale for my taste, I suppose they were going for Evil Dead levels of campy over the top-ness, and the whole film is kind of an homage to Evil Dead anyway, with an explicit mention of the film.

I thought "Severance" was much more consistently high quality, it had a "The Office" meets "Friday the 13th" kind of vibe that I really liked. The humor throughout is excellent too, including the gags mentioned earlier on this page. I particularly like the way things turn out for the Steve character as the story winds down.

It's amazing that unless I really look hard to read about horror films specifically, these kind of films get so little mainstream press that I'd never even hear about them or be aware of their existence.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I don't know what Netflix Streaming has but you should try find Creep, Cold Prey 1 & 2, Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon, 2001 Maniacs, Autopsy, The Ruins, Triangle to name a few.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Did anyone else see Grace? I saw it a few days ago and I'm still not quite sure what I think about it. It's well acted, well directed, atmospheric and creepy but I just couldn't quite understand what it was trying to say. Having a child is traumatic and requires sacrifice? Mothers are willing to go to any length for their children? Vegetarians and lesbians are weird and should let men decide?

I'll definitely watch Paul Solet's next film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

JammyLammy posted:

This is where we can talk and review horror movies, right?

Just watched a S. Korean movie on Netflix last night, The Butcher. Basic snuff industry story, the gimmick was that the victims had camera helmets so pretty much all of it was shot through their view (save the couple times when it was shot from the "director" handheld camera).

It sounded like an interesting idea if it was used in a sort of cat & mouse chase, but instead it was pretty much the victim bounded and screaming for the entire movie. Ended up being more style over substance since the camera gimmick would get in the way of the action/story.

If you are into slasher flicks with emphasis on torture, you might like it, but overall I thought it was sort of boring. Only stayed through to see if anything happens in the end, but it pretty much just ended abrupt.

I watched it too. :(. It was boring and I don't know if the subs were off but the dialogue was really terrible.