Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Do you guys think he should get a slightly older kitten/cat that's been well-socialized with other cats? 5 weeks is a bit early, he's really going to need help learning how to do kitty things.

Yes. Most certainly. He needs to know how to clean himself and play appropriately - something an older cat could definitely teach him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:

mdtyson posted:

Yes. Most certainly. He needs to know how to clean himself and play appropriately - something an older cat could definitely teach him.

Is 2 years too old? There is this local bookoo site I use because I literally live in the middle of no where and I talked to a lady today about her 2 year old female fixed cat that had a litter already. Would that be a good fit? Or should I keep looking?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

second best sponge posted:

Is 2 years too old? There is this local bookoo site I use because I literally live in the middle of no where and I talked to a lady today about her 2 year old female fixed cat that had a litter already. Would that be a good fit? Or should I keep looking?
I think 2 years is too old. Even 1 year is too old. Older mature cats will likely have no patience for a retarded kitten that doesn't speak cat. You should look for a 3-6 month old kitten, perhaps err on the younger side. Months in kitten ages are like years to us. If you want them to be playmates, they need to be similar ages.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Meow Cadet posted:

I think 2 years is too old. Even 1 year is too old. Older mature cats will likely have no patience for a retarded kitten that doesn't speak cat. You should look for a 3-6 month old kitten, perhaps err on the younger side. Months in kitten ages are like years to us. If you want them to be playmates, they need to be similar ages.

Are kittens that young good teachers of all-that-is-cat though? I guess I have heard that some times adult neutered males like to "mother" kittens, would that be OK too?

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
Unsure if it's worth making a new thread, so here is another update...

Todd and her kittens are FeLV/FIV negative! They also have no fleas and are in excellent condition. There are two girls and two boys. :woop:

Now comes the fun part of introducing our other cats to these guys. :ohdear: So far so good, just a bit of staring and hissing.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RepliCarter posted:

Unsure if it's worth making a new thread, so here is another update...

Todd and her kittens are FeLV/FIV negative! They also have no fleas and are in excellent condition. There are two girls and two boys. :woop:

Now comes the fun part of introducing our other cats to these guys. :ohdear: So far so good, just a bit of staring and hissing.

Gonna be some exploding to go with that staring and hissing if we don't get some pics soon. :colbert:

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Just brought home another kitty. This one is 6 weeks, they are getting along pretty well so far. The ate out of the same bowl together, it was adorable!

Both males, and almost identical in color. Scaredy was the first one and he is jet black. New kitten is black with very faint dark dark grey stripes. My kittens are awesome!

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Welp, 6 weeks is also too young to leave its mother (selling/giving a kitten away younger than 8 weeks is illegal in some states). But I hope your retardo kittens have fun together. You won't regret having 2, I'm sure of it.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Meow Cadet posted:

Welp, 6 weeks is also too young to leave its mother (selling/giving a kitten away younger than 8 weeks is illegal in some states). But I hope your retardo kittens have fun together. You won't regret having 2, I'm sure of it.

Well, this was kind of harsh, MC. There are a ton of orphaned kittens around right now. He didn't necessarily get it from some stupid person, though I agree that "the person I got it from" sounds a little sketchy, people are finding them left and right.

Second Best Sponge: make sure to get them into the vet, especially if they didn't come from a shelter. They probably need to be dewormed at the least. Lots of vets will do a first new kitten appointment for free. I don't think the fact that it's young as well is terrible, at least they can socialize together.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 6, 2010

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

RheaConfused posted:

Well, this was kind of harsh, MC. There are a ton of orphaned kittens around right now.

That happened to my second set of kittens. I got them at 6 1/2-7 weeks, so a bit young, but the mother kitty had a TERRIBLE accident. She was a stray hanging out at my co-worker's home. Co-worker intended to adopt her and spay her after she finished weaning the kittens, but she convulsed one morning and died. They think maybe a poison of some sort, but they don't honestly know what happened. I intended to get the kittens anyway, but wound up with them early.

The ONLY issue I've had as a result is that Yuuda has this terrible, dangerous, and annoying as gently caress habit of chewing on cloth (he's a bit more :downs: than the average kitty). He has chewed HUGE holes in a bunch of our poo poo (clothing, blankets, coats, etc). I think it's because he wasn't fully weaned yet. Athena hasn't shown any ill effects, though. I would attribute that they acclimated so quickly to the fact that we had older cats in the house already, but since the older two are hating snobs, I don't imagine they had much to do with their early upbringing.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Just brought home another kitty. This one is 6 weeks, they are getting along pretty well so far. The ate out of the same bowl together, it was adorable!

Both males, and almost identical in color. Scaredy was the first one and he is jet black. New kitten is black with very faint dark dark grey stripes. My kittens are awesome!

Yeah, um, why did you grab another 6 week-old kitten again? Was it an emergency or something?

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Auracounts posted:

The ONLY issue I've had as a result is that Yuuda has this terrible, dangerous, and annoying as gently caress habit of chewing on cloth (he's a bit more :downs: than the average kitty). He has chewed HUGE holes in a bunch of our poo poo (clothing, blankets, coats, etc). I think it's because he wasn't fully weaned yet.

I feel your pain. Ed has destroyed a few dresses of mine because she loves chewing on netting.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah, um, why did you grab another 6 week-old kitten again? Was it an emergency or something?

Because it's a really good idea for a kitten as small as his first one to have a companion so that it won't be feral and crazy.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

Abbeh posted:

I feel your pain. Ed has destroyed a few dresses of mine because she loves chewing on netting.

For a long time, I didn't realize what the hell was wrong with him! I had no idea cats could/would do this, because I'd never seen it before. It also took us a while to figure out why things were turning up with holes. Then I started reading about that wool fetish (I forgot the term) that some cats from being weaned too early and it seemed to fit. He's not AS bad as he used to be, but he still likes to chew poo poo sometimes. He's like a tiny dog; I should buy him a chew toy, heh.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

HondaCivet posted:

:rolleyes: PI police aside, it's too late now, and he'll do fine. Believe it or not, lots of people do manage to raise kittens who were taken from their parents at 6 weeks to be loving, kind cats. I know it's not the right thing or the best thing, but he'll manage.

second best sponge, just make sure you are training them not to be bitey or clawy. If you get bitten/clawed, make an ouch yelping noise, and stop paying attention to them immediately. If they have trouble burying their poop/pee, show them how to do it with their paws.

I'm not sure what the age limit is, but with a 5 week old you might want to avoid clay litter for the time being, lest he eat it.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Six weeks isn't bad and it's way better that there's two six-week olds instead of one. To pretend that there is an exact age-rule is ridiculous. I think as long as he gives them a good home they'll do fine. Keep an eye on their playing and their litter usage and if they don't walk around with poo poo all over their fur I think you're golden.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Er, sorry everyone, was just curious as to how he/she went from almost getting a 2 year old cat to deciding on such a young one. My cats are littermates that were taken from their mother/birthplace pretty early too, at around 8 weeks. They were little feral guys running around a trailer park so who knows when they last saw their mother, the rescuers never caught her or anything. One has had troubles burying his poo properly but I think he is growing out of it (they're about a year old). They both REALLY like kneading stuff, especially different types of fabrics, so maybe they were weaned too early or something, but other than that they are pretty good. I think it really helps to have them as a pair, they can help each other learn the stuff the other didn't pick up on. It's amazing how different my cats are in terms of habits and personality given that they've literally spent their entire lives together so I'm sure your kittens will have a lot to teach each other.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Seriously, my cat is over six months and he still only vaguely aims at the litter when making GBS threads and doesn't seem to keen on cleaning it off himself. I shall blame Ed for this - Ed, you suck at teaching.

On the plus side, Zoso has never had so much to smell! He loves shoving his shnoz into some kitty anus.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Somebody please help.

This fat little ball of orange fur got this bad habit; instead of squatting to piss, he would just kind of stand there and spray it against the wall, leading to an irritating cat-piss-cleanup at least twice a week.

A few days ago, I used an old sterilite lid, some shears, and a sander to make a sort of makeshift plastic "pee shield" which stood about 5 inches higher than the back of the litter box.

I go in there today to find that the little fucker arced his piss right over it somehow.

What the *hell* can I do about this?

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Somebody please help.

This fat little ball of orange fur got this bad habit; instead of squatting to piss, he would just kind of stand there and spray it against the wall, leading to an irritating cat-piss-cleanup at least twice a week.

A few days ago, I used an old sterilite lid, some shears, and a sander to make a sort of makeshift plastic "pee shield" which stood about 5 inches higher than the back of the litter box.

I go in there today to find that the little fucker arced his piss right over it somehow.

Is he fixed? Are you cleaning the area with an enzymatic cleaner?

You could try a covered litter box, like a booda dome: http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cleanstep-Cat-Titanium/dp/B0002DH8L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273188369&sr=8-1

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Somebody please help.

My cats' litter box is a big-rear end Rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in the side. The walls are over a foot high. Nothing escapes. :colbert:

Have you watched him pee lately? How is he getting it so high? Is he standing funny or anything, or acting like he's uncomfortable?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

RheaConfused posted:

Is he fixed? Are you cleaning the area with an enzymatic cleaner?

You could try a covered litter box, like a booda dome: http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Dome-Cleanstep-Cat-Titanium/dp/B0002DH8L4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1273188369&sr=8-1

Yes to the first (it would be irresponsible to let something this stupid breed), no to the second; I guess that's the next step.

For the third, it's too confined a space for the Booda Dome; I do have an enclosed litterbox I can use there, but it's pointless since the piss just drizzles out of the "hinge" seperating the two halves

EDIT:

HondaCivet posted:

My cats' litter box is a big-rear end Rubbermaid tub with a hole cut in the side. The walls are over a foot high. Nothing escapes. :colbert:

Have you watched him pee lately? How is he getting it so high? Is he standing funny or anything, or acting like he's uncomfortable?

When his rear end is facing the wall, he just kind of squats down with all four legs and makes the pee shoot straight out; when his rear end is facing anywhere *other* than the wall, he sits properly and pisses into the litter.

And while I like your idea, I have a feeling cleanup will be a nightmare with urine cement all over everything.

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 7, 2010

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006

HondaCivet posted:

Oh my god, this is such a good idea. I might have to do this. I have four litter boxes, all large, some larger, and one even has those curved sides. It doesn't matter. One of these little punks is a digger and always, ALWAYS, throws half the litter onto the floor. One day, he (I have a primary suspect) knocked the whole drat box over and spread the litter all over the floor. rear end in a top hat.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

HondaCivet posted:

I have a giant Sterilite bin with a hole cut out of the top. Big Lots has them for around $10 apiece.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

They are getting along pretty well, except when its feeding time they hiss and claw at each other so I got them separate bowls. They play all the time and are adorable to watch. And they fight for my attention which makes me feel special.

They don't exactly claw at me but when they climb on me they sometimes leave the claws out. They bite at my fingers a little bit when I'm playing with them and I do the yelping thing.

I came home and all there poo and pee was in the litter box, they tracked a little of it out of there. Maybe it's time for another digging lesson. Note, they have 3 litter boxes but for now both use the same one.

I adopted them off a local website. "The people I got them from" refers to people that live in the community who posted a classified ad for these kittens. I went to their houses, met the cats, talked to the owners and decided to adopt them. I'm glad they are similar in age because they are getting along very well. Also, I'm gone 5 days a week for 8 hours a day, so they can keep each other company.

I'm going to take them to the vet next week to get checked out and a clear bill of health.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

They are getting along pretty well, except when its feeding time they hiss and claw at each other so I got them separate bowls. They play all the time and are adorable to watch. And they fight for my attention which makes me feel special.

They don't exactly claw at me but when they climb on me they sometimes leave the claws out. They bite at my fingers a little bit when I'm playing with them and I do the yelping thing.

I came home and all there poo and pee was in the litter box, they tracked a little of it out of there. Maybe it's time for another digging lesson. Note, they have 3 litter boxes but for now both use the same one.

I adopted them off a local website. "The people I got them from" refers to people that live in the community who posted a classified ad for these kittens. I went to their houses, met the cats, talked to the owners and decided to adopt them. I'm glad they are similar in age because they are getting along very well. Also, I'm gone 5 days a week for 8 hours a day, so they can keep each other company.

I'm going to take them to the vet next week to get checked out and a clear bill of health.

Wow, sounds good. My cats are best buddies and not even they can share a food bowl so it's fine that you're giving them each one. Can I just ask what litter you are using? I think they might be a little too young for clumping litter (kittens are dumb and will eat it).

Also DEAR GOD WHERE ARE THE PICS :byodood:

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac

HondaCivet posted:

Gonna be some exploding to go with that staring and hissing if we don't get some pics soon. :colbert:

Prepare for cute. :3:

Click here for the full 667x500 image.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

RepliCarter posted:

Prepare for cute. :3:

Click here for the full 667x500 image.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa tiny ears

I forget, at what age do their ears explode into an adorably oversized state?

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac
I'm not quite sure. :( Baggins exploded into big ears, he was between 5-8 weeks old. Dad found him on a cold rainy day at a truck stop, so we aren't sure of his exact age.

Anyway, I don't think any of our other cats did that.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

They are getting along pretty well, except when its feeding time they hiss and claw at each other so I got them separate bowls.
Yeah, resource guarding is really common in kittens that were taken from their moms too soon. It's not a big deal, I don't think many older cats like eating right next to eachother anyway. But it sounds like everything else is coming along great. Grats on your 2 new kitties. :3: You'll be sooo happy when they turn into assholes and they can just be jerks to eachother instead of you.

Auracounts
Sep 21, 2006
Oh god, those kittens look exactly like :3:

It's like they know the emoticons we are using to describe them and they are hamming to live up to the expectations.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

My kitties, Scaredy and Napoleon, are really terrible at posing for pictures, but this is a pretty good one I think.

Also, two days in row with no poop or pee on the floor. My kitties are freaking geniuses!!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Also, two days in row with no poop or pee on the floor. My kitties are freaking geniuses!!

That's better than most college freshmen can do.

Is the guy in front gray/silver or is it just a trick of the camera's?

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

Napoleon is the one in front, he is pretty dark, very dark gray with slightly fainter gray stripes. That was an LED super macro shot on my stupid camera. he is a total heart breaker too, always trying to snuggle and purring. He is the best kitten ever.

Scaredy is a jerk, but he picks on Napoleon which is fun to watch, even though he is a little younger. He doesn't purr as much, I'm a little concerned, he might end up being a serial killer. You gotta watch out for the quiet ones.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

An update: yesterday I cleaned everything up thoroughly with Nature's Miracle. I did what someone suggested and bought a sterilite container and cut a notch in the side, so that I could finally stop wasting half an hour each day cleaning up cat piss.

I wake up this morning and the fat little gently caress is peeing out the entry notch, spraying piss all over the open floor.

I'm at the end of my rope here, I really am. Suggestions?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

An update: yesterday I cleaned everything up thoroughly with Nature's Miracle. I did what someone suggested and bought a sterilite container and cut a notch in the side, so that I could finally stop wasting half an hour each day cleaning up cat piss.

I wake up this morning and the fat little gently caress is peeing out the entry notch, spraying piss all over the open floor.

Top entry box (That's how mine is set up, a hole in the top, not in the side).

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Also, where did you put the notch? I'm assuming you bought a rectangular container here. Did you put the hole in the middle on a smaller side? If so then try patching that one up and cutting one on one of the large sides. Don't just cut it in the middle, cut it more to the left or right so he'll be forced to turn when he walks in.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Engineer Lenk posted:

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx
I have two of these also and they are awesome. I got them mostly to keep the cats from kicking litter every where. have been through a lot of cat boxes. I still have one round uncovered in the basement but these are the tits.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Engineer Lenk posted:

After swearing to myself not to spend another dime on litterboxes, it looks like I'll have to try this one; I just have to hope the fat little poo poo doesn't get stuck in the hole. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I use Sterilite bins for litter boxes, but they're open, not top/side entry. Cats generally have no problem jumping, so maybe consider a whole bin? I personally think covered boxes are too stinky for me, so I can't fathom how stinky they are for the cat. But that's my personal preference.