Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

helno posted:

Going to need a garage addition to store your fiances car.

I kicked the celica out of the garage when she moved in so she could park in its spot, but yes I agree :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

helno posted:

Going to need a garage addition to store your fiances car.

Just one car? I half expect that she'll bring another half-dozen vehicles to the household. One of them will be an excavator or a cherrypicker or something else weirdly exotic.

In any case, congratulations! Also, that TV stand is pretty awesome.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

She? For some reason I imagined you never to be with a woman so me and the lads could dream about a life in the country.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Just one car? I half expect that she'll bring another half-dozen vehicles to the household. One of them will be an excavator or a cherrypicker or something else weirdly exotic.

She just doesn't know what she wants for a project yet.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Stables and a ménage incoming, calling it now.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Stables and a ménage incoming, calling it now.

She is allergic to horses so I dodged the horse girl country stereotype :dance:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Llamas

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Alpalcas and sheep, shear them and you can knit sweaters.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can do that with llamas too, they'll just try their best to gently caress you up in the process.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I wonder if it’s one of the ladies from page 5 playing the long game. Well played if so :D

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I wonder if it’s one of the ladies from page 5 playing the long game. Well played if so :D

Probably not because I keep surprising her with some of the poo poo I get up to. I could be fooled though!

Anyway, I hear a bunch of IRC randos wanted an update, so here we go:

The bumper is removed!

And I only knicked it, uh, a little cutting out the seized bumper bolts :shobon:

This panel is poo poo. Let's cut the fucker off. Drilling out rusted spot welds ain't easy. Neither is chiselling with a screwdriver.

As I proceeded towards the rust hole, more stuff kept falling out. Switch was instagramming it and was quite amused.

All in all we found a couple cigarette butts, a few different factory washered bolts, and a ... plastic fern?

With the welds drilled out, the seedy underbelly is exposed.

It's actually not too bad, considering. I can clean this up with a wire wheel and a little paint no problem.

That's a big chunk of poo poo, and the worst bit on the car, thankfully.

That weird little dent was accessible from the trunk, so Switch and I hammered that out a little as well. Looks way better, if not perfect. Good enough, as they say.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Looks like about 0.3 Sockingtons of rust there. Not too bad.

Making and heat treating cold chisels is a great quick forging project. Hop to it, man! All you need is some tool steel round or square stock.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Thing I didn't know I wanted until I read this thread: a little Japanese firetruck.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Thing I didn't know I wanted until I read this thread: a little Japanese firetruck.

A wide selection available: http://www.duncanimports.com/wholesale-used-inventory/index.htm?search=&bodyStyle=Firetruck

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Looks like about 0.3 Sockingtons of rust there. Not too bad.

Making and heat treating cold chisels is a great quick forging project. Hop to it, man! All you need is some tool steel round or square stock.

Oh I have two dozen of them or so laying around. The screwdriver is long and tapered and blunt, really I was trying to break them apart rather than cut them with a chisel, I think I'd do more damage with a sharp end.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

I saw that very truck on the way to work the other day, can confirm it's rad as hell and I def want one too :3

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Also: the low miles on those things are amazing. They might be tough miles but they are govt maintained.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

After removing the rusty strip, I treated the area with chassis saver marine clean and metal prep.

Likewise on the bumper mounts.

Hmm, can's getting a little rusty. That's kind of ironic. Eh, I'm sure it's fine.

Oh.

Fortunately the dried layer wasn't too thick, and it's still good underneath.

Painted the rusty bits. (only the really bad stuff, I'm not worried about a little surface rust here and there.)

Then I cut the patch panel and flanged it with my little air flanger.

Ground off the coating on the inside of the trunk, it lines up not too bad.

Not perfect, but not awful.

Cleaned and weld-through primer-ed.

Then, instead of welding the whole thing, switch convinced me to try 3M panel gap adhesive. It's basically epoxy, but it comes with a neat 2 cylinder applicator gun.

And a bunch of these absolutely ridiculous mixing nozzles.

Apply it, clamp it on, and weld the curvier bits where you need to.

Welds are pretty lovely, but those were just extras, I re-used the old spot weld holes as plug welds so it's plenty good enough.

The panel adhesive works... ok I suppose. Probably meant more for modern cars where these panels can line up and not have to be right flush with each other. In retrospect I would have been better off welding it all.

The gap isn't awesome. But it'll do.

The gap on the underside is pretty bad where the inner fender rusted away, I need to seal this up with something. Not quite sure what I should do here yet, I don't want to weld a panel in there, and it still needs to drain.

That was about a month ago. Today I cleaned the garage and put a little bondo on the panel to blend it in.

Gonna take a lot of sanding here.

Last week I picked up some toyota bits that McTinkerson was kind enough to buy for me back in January and store at his place up near Edmonton. I brought these back last wednesday and unloaded them on the weekend.

A partially rebuilt Toyota 5M inline 6, two doors with electronic locks and windows plus good glass, and a pile of tires and nice OEM wheels. An ECU for the engine, tail lights, corner markers, and a license plate holder. I took them off the truck with the forklift and up onto the shelf they go for now.

The tires on the wheels are done, but that's ok.

Back to the Dodge, I need to drill a 5" hole in the new fuel tank and I think I want to use the drill press for that, so I cleared a spot and brought it in from the smithy.

It's finally looking like spring around here, hopefully if this 30-90cm of snow build up melts this week I can get back to working on the cars on the regular.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Slung Blade posted:

After removing the rusty strip, I treated the area with chassis saver marine clean and metal prep.

Likewise on the bumper mounts.

Hmm, can's getting a little rusty. That's kind of ironic. Eh, I'm sure it's fine.

Oh.

Fortunately the dried layer wasn't too thick, and it's still good underneath.

Painted the rusty bits. (only the really bad stuff, I'm not worried about a little surface rust here and there.)

Then I cut the patch panel and flanged it with my little air flanger.

Ground off the coating on the inside of the trunk, it lines up not too bad.

Not perfect, but not awful.

Cleaned and weld-through primer-ed.

Then, instead of welding the whole thing, switch convinced me to try 3M panel gap adhesive. It's basically epoxy, but it comes with a neat 2 cylinder applicator gun.

And a bunch of these absolutely ridiculous mixing nozzles.

Apply it, clamp it on, and weld the curvier bits where you need to.

Welds are pretty lovely, but those were just extras, I re-used the old spot weld holes as plug welds so it's plenty good enough.

The panel adhesive works... ok I suppose. Probably meant more for modern cars where these panels can line up and not have to be right flush with each other. In retrospect I would have been better off welding it all.

The gap isn't awesome. But it'll do.

The gap on the underside is pretty bad where the inner fender rusted away, I need to seal this up with something. Not quite sure what I should do here yet, I don't want to weld a panel in there, and it still needs to drain.

That was about a month ago. Today I cleaned the garage and put a little bondo on the panel to blend it in.

Gonna take a lot of sanding here.

Last week I picked up some toyota bits that McTinkerson was kind enough to buy for me back in January and store at his place up near Edmonton. I brought these back last wednesday and unloaded them on the weekend.

A partially rebuilt Toyota 5M inline 6, two doors with electronic locks and windows plus good glass, and a pile of tires and nice OEM wheels. An ECU for the engine, tail lights, corner markers, and a license plate holder. I took them off the truck with the forklift and up onto the shelf they go for now.

The tires on the wheels are done, but that's ok.

Back to the Dodge, I need to drill a 5" hole in the new fuel tank and I think I want to use the drill press for that, so I cleared a spot and brought it in from the smithy.

It's finally looking like spring around here, hopefully if this 30-90cm of snow build up melts this week I can get back to working on the cars on the regular.

And I feel accomplished when I change a wiper motor...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Still really bummed about how much build that panel adhesive had on it, I guess we'll just have to use it for floorpans and the Civic from now on. :(

Aren't we getting another big-rear end dump of snow this week still?

edit: I guess not, omfg

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
5" is a pretty good size hole. Moving to an in-tank fuel pump?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

5" is a pretty good size hole. Moving to an in-tank fuel pump?

Indeed I am. It might be difficult, there aren't many places on the tank where there's enough real estate to put that hole that will also get deep enough into the sump area and also not interfere with the filler, the fuel level sender, and the original style hose pickup.

I have a little baffled pump unit to stick in there, but I'm thinking I might be better off with one of those neat hydromats that Holly makes.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

Indeed I am. It might be difficult, there aren't many places on the tank where there's enough real estate to put that hole that will also get deep enough into the sump area and also not interfere with the filler, the fuel level sender, and the original style hose pickup.

I have a little baffled pump unit to stick in there, but I'm thinking I might be better off with one of those neat hydromats that Holly makes.

Neat. Aeromotive makes a pretty slick setup that I plan on picking up for the Nova eventually. Only needs a 3.25" hole. Those Hydramats are pretty cool too, though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18688/overview/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Switch and I did some work on his Civic today, we were thinking of taking it on the rally this year, but....

Changed the belts.

Broke the power steering belt tensioner bolt while doing so. Because of course I did.

But I got the fucker out.

Pretty precise drill job too, if I do say so myself.

And replaced it with an imperial threaded bolt and dual lock-nut setup to make it more chevrolet friendly.

We also did an oil change (it uses the same filters as my accent!), replaced the hatch glass' gas strut balls, and decided against replacing the inner/outer tie rods (too hard of a job for a weekend) and the rear toe arms (due to rust and captive nuts, and because they're probably fine).

Switch decided on the ride over that we should probably not run the civic, it shakes too much and hurts his back. My back hurt just looking at the car so I am ok with this.

Then we started in on the dodge again because I want to keep chipping away at it.

I removed the rear seat.

The floor is pretty gross, that mouse made a mess years ago.

I found the broadcast sheet under the spring though, so that's pretty neat.

Then I removed the seat back. :barf:

This... mica? maybe it's just fibreboard? barrier is held on by two metal tabs in the middle and the hooks up top.

And she's all exposed.

gently caress.You.

So why go to all this trouble? Well as said before, I want dual exhaust. Therefore, I need two exhaust hangers. I have one.

But I need to access both sides of this metal to install #2.

With the gas tank out, this is the time to do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cool progress shots.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So things have been pretty insane around here lately.

GF and I decided a couple months back to increase the size of the kitchen / living room as it is pretty small compared to the rest of the house.

So, out come the contractors!

Marking all the utilities. Jeeze, it seems like I just had this done :thunk:

Deck is gonzo.

Siding: gonzo.

Gas meter: removed. Unfortunately the only good place to expand was to the south, and the gas comes in there, and also leaves for the workshop that way. This is a pretty expensive change, but manageable.

GET OUTTA HERE, DIRT.

Unsurprisingly, the ground is still crazy wet.

It actually changed the waterproofness of the house, the vapor barrier in the basement right about where the hole was dug is leaking a bit.

Little knife action fixed that. This insulation is coming down, it's going to be our new interior basement wall.

Last week they prepped.

Two days ago they poured the footings.

Yesterday, forms. Pour.

Today, stripped.

New footings for the deck that will be on the east side of the house, to get shade and shelter from the wind.

Tomorrow I'm hoping they cut the door, and that I can get more work done on this year's rally car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Don't forget the part in the middle of all this where we blew up the transmission on our six-day-old car and ended up swapping it.

Those footings look good. I am a little unnerved by how much of your place is open-heart surgery right now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You did this all for a girl friend?

Lordy what you gonna do for your wife?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I'm loving the progress on this but we need updates!

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'll post a huge update when I get some free time to write it up, sorry I've been crazy busy since February it seems.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have you smoked any lovely fish lately, or perhaps smithed something, or how is that backyard garden/orchard doing? Also are you still mayor?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Alright, things have finally calmed down a little around here so this is gonna be a loving doozy. I'm going to do this in semi chronological order since, hey, work with what you got. I will try to get the various topics put into groups.

The current state of the kitchen, somewhat disheveled, crowded, the table extends into the living space because, poo poo, where else is it gonna go?

TV sits over here, near the thermostat. Plasma screen + thermostat = cold rear end bedroom in winter, no good for girlfriend. It was fine for me, but eh I don't mind cold.

Couch sits over here (this is mid furniture move) in the southwest corner. I was taking a picture of where the electric fireplace used to sit.

The old coat closet in the hall was too small to be a closet, so we turned it into a pantry, we needed the storage space.
Before:

THE CORONET

I got the two sets of Aero race wheels for the coronet hoping they would be a good match for the aesthetic I was going for. The 8" wide ones should probably have been backspaced a little less (more? gently caress - moved inboard slightly more). The 7" ones fit fine, I think.

It's a little far out.

The guy I ordered them from got me chrome instead of red chrome like I asked. I even used the colour I wanted as the password for the money transfer, but he claimed that since I accepted his fuckin model number which had the colour code in it, the sale was final. Not buying any more from that guy.

This one was bent. To dude's credit, he did order me a replacement at no cost, since that was clearly his gently caress up.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't forget the part in the middle of all this where we blew up the transmission on our six-day-old car and ended up swapping it.

Those footings look good. I am a little unnerved by how much of your place is open-heart surgery right now.

The acura. I try to treat it nice. Replace these stupid ricer lugs with nice solid hex units.

Then it goes and spits in my face. The transmission lunched itself one day on my way home. I still haven't torn into it to figure out exactly what happened, but it seems to be stuck in two gears. I was trying to get a picture of the smoke the clutch gave off when everything seized here.

Good thing I have free towing from AMA. Shame I had to wait 5 hours for it to get there.

I had to winch the oval office into the shop with the come-along. Good thing I sank that hook into the foundation. If you followed the TM2TW3 thread you've seen these, sorry.

We had to disconnect and hang the engine to get the trans out.

We replaced every engine and transmission mount while we were in there.

Sparkly bits from a PO's clutch explosion.

Ripped the entire front end apart.

We got the replacement transmission installed thanks to Numbers matching's help. Then we drove it to drumheller for kicks.

Trying to fix the bumper damage, here I have ground out a groove along the cracks so I can epoxy it a bit.

A little bondo.

Then some primer.

May as well tackle these little dents in the hood.

Grind em down.

Use the new studwelder.

Hook up a slide hammer and go to town.

Bondo, etc.

The driver side fender is beyond saving unless we weld it, so we bought a spare from the same guy we got the trans from.

Of course it was the wrong colour.

sanding...

Primer.

Did not get enough filler in here. Nor did I sand it down right. Sigh. Time constraints.

At least it's flatter.

New grille bits.

loving screws.

And of course I missed a spot under the masking :argh:

Still, light years better.

We made it on the rally, all the way to Valemount, down to Kamloops, and back via Radium Hot Springs.

With that done, back to the house.

Cleaning up the yard/shop I took all the wheels with ragged tires on them to a guy we know, stripped every one of them off for us for 50 bucks. Solid guy.

Back to construction:

Big old pile of dirt next to the new hole.

Foundation poured, backfilled, floored etc.

Massive woodpile.

FLOOR

Framing went quick.

After the foundation went in, they had to cut a door into the old concrete wall.

Then down comes the old exterior wall.

My poor house :smith:

Support for a new fireplace. A proper fireplace.

A nicer, bigger deck. We re-used the old doors, because they were fine.

Fireplace delivered, windows delivered.

All framed in.

The gas guys come by and lay pipe. This is the old deck's BBQ connection, they just 90'ed it outside.

New windows, nice view.

Siding goes up.

Sheetrockin.

Here you can see the new corner closet.

We had to retain this pillar, since it's holding up the upper floor. Decided to make it a feature instead of an eyesore and had the builder make it bigger than necessary to make it easier for them to run pipe, wire, etc through it. Also the GF thought it would be a good place for a little shelf.

The new island goes in. Old kitchen was desperately low on cabinet space and counter space for two people.

The doors under the overhang.

A spot for shelves and an eventual winerack once I get around to making it.

The upstairs gets a coat of paint, the GF didn't like it all being yellow. Guest bedroom one gets a bluey tint.

The east guestroom gets more of a greeny tint.

And the main bathroom gets a blueish tint.

The master bedroom and bathroom also get blue /green colourations.

The main floor, thankfully for me, gets to stay yellow. Here the trim is being stained.

Tile goes in at the back door.

My neat new island light goes in.

Dining room chandelier.

The rad ceiling fan with remote control.

Southeast bedroom gets a little window, because why not.

The flooring goes in, it was nice they matched the existing colour/wood.

Fireplace gets its' stainless surround.

And we're nearly there.

The island gets it's top. Part granite, part butcher block.

Kitchen looking pretty good, imo.

We moved back in around mid July, I think.

I get some big propane tanks for the smithy, because holy poo poo I am done hauling those 50 pounders, they freeze up too quick in the winter.

We accidentally got a screaming deal on three columnar aspens, and three probably 7-10 year old spruce trees (at least I think they're spruces).

So we plant them.

Ought to give us some nice privacy around the deck.

The workshop finally gets an apron.

The kitchen gets some stools for the breakfast bar.

We got some chicken on sale at costco, so we made up and froze a huge pile of tandoori drumsticks for an upcoming party.

Now, because we're not busy enough as it is, we also try to prep the GF's house for sale. We also do some gardening, like picking a ton of rhubarb.

The rhubarb was turned into chutney by the GF, who I taught how to can.

The apron is poured, and I order 30 cubic yards of crushed gravel for the driveway, as spread by my awesome neighbour.

Got some deck furniture to enjoy our new outdoor space.

Spent a week and a half babysitting a friend's doggo. 10/10 would pet again.

I think I spent a week in total fixing misc poo poo at the GF's house while construction was happening at my place. Like new caulking.

Painting over chipped enamel.

And replacing gross corroded drain pipes. :barf: it only didn't leak because of the hairball

LingcodKilla posted:

You did this all for a girl friend?

Lordy what you gonna do for your wife?

Well I guess I'd do this:
Take one meteorite chunk.

Apply heat.

Punch hole.

Make hole bigger :saddowns:

Weld cracks.

Cut off the excess.

Sand it.

No, sand it more.

Then take it to a jeweler and get them to press in a silver liner, acid bath it, and bevel the edge.

And then I guess get married on August 25th.

I also made all the centrepieces for the tables at the wedding.

gently caress I'm tired.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Rest now, before the baby comes...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Baller ring dude. Yeah time to make a play room addition and yard structure.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
very nice pal.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo that’s an update alright.

How do you like the screw style garage door openers?

The guy converting my carriage house double hung doors said they are crap and fail all the time and is pushing a traditional lift master chain opener.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jealous Cow posted:

^Amen, and congrats on the wedding. Shouldn't you be honeymooning?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The ring fits your finger, is the ring for you?

What's her ring like?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Holy dang what an update, and congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Jealous Cow posted:

How do you like the screw style garage door openers?

The guy converting my carriage house double hung doors said they are crap and fail all the time and is pushing a traditional lift master chain opener.

These are more winch style than screw style, I've seen the acme threaded central lifters and I'm not a fan. The lift units seem fine for me, they're definitely nice and low profile for the high clearance doors.

Steakandchips posted:

The ring fits your finger, is the ring for you?

What's her ring like?

Yeah this is my ring. I worked with the Goldsmith on hers, I'll post some pictures later.