Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My fur coat is not actually in that picture. And the Brasso is all old and dried up. You're welcome to the orgy if you bring fresh Brasso, I need to polish ... things.
my belt buckle

Edit: bring a flamethrower too. That "fur coat" is actually mold or something. Whatever it is, it probably needs to die in a fire.

Edit again: might be a bunny or a cat. Flamethrower still requested.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Delivery McGee posted:

Minimalist kit:

A long lens and a speedlite in the bag.

Barn door's open.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Delivery McGee posted:

Minimalist kit:

A long lens and a speedlite in the bag.

Do you live in the bathroom from Saw? Brush your hair at least.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Does anyone use a lowepro sport 200 AW and have any thoughts on it? I am about to buy one with my REI refund and discount if no one has anything bad to say. I will mostly be using it for day hikes around the ranch I work on so the lack of extra space is not an issue. I am open to other options from REI.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

So I'm trying to find a "day-pack" sized bag that I can bring with me on a very long backpacking trip (though we'll be staying put in most places for at least a month). I'll have a 65l backpack I'll be living out of for 6 months, and I think I've decided I need to find a smaller day-pack that is meant for camera gear + laptop that I can take out day to day, on shoots, or short trips. I'm trying to find something that will fit a 13" Macbook Air, as well as my m43 setup (which is very small; GX7 + 3 lenses, Gorilla Pod, Head, Loupe, Pistol Grip, Batteries).

Most of the smaller day-packs I've found seem to fit this gear easy but they are all limited to a tablet or 11" laptop (all the lowerpro's are like this). I really love the Incase DSLR Slingpack as well, but only the Slingpack DSLR PRO model will fit a laptop larger than 11", and that thing is massive and more room than I need for the rest of the gear (and would be a pain in the rear end to strap to my main bag when I'm on the move).

I also really don't want any daypack to scream "there are thousands of dollars worth of gear in this bag, mug me!" if at all possible, as I'll be in South America.

Would prefer a "sling" type bag, for easy access to camera/gear when moving around, but not a deal breaker.

Any ideas?

Graphics fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 2, 2014

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get something that isn't a camera bag and pick up pouches or one of these for the camera stuff: http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/icu.html

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So I have a $50 gift card to B&H and I was thinking of using it on a more appropriately sized bag for my X-T1. I already have a Lowepro Event Messenger 250 and, while it works great with my Sony a77 and NEX-5 with adapted A-mount lenses, it feels like over kill with the X-T1 and most of its lenses. In addition, I found it a little cumbersome to use as I feel it has too much girth for my size to carry comfortably.

I was thinking of either the Lowepro Passport Sling or the Streamline 150. I have a neoprene cover for the X-T1 and 27mm pancake so I'm planning on putting the camera and lens in the main compartment. The thing is that I want to be able to carry three normal-size prime lenses, the 14mm, 23mm, and (eventually) 56mm, in the dedicated camera compartment so that I have easy access to them. Plus, additional room for an 8" tablet and a few additional lenses in protected cases would be nice. While the compartment wasn't designed to hold three lenses, I could probably use the spare dividers from my Messenger 250 to keep the lenses from rubbing against one another. Still, things are a little tight based on the advertised dimensions. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to spend the $30 round trip train tickets into Manhattan and try the bags in person at B&H. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any shops in New Jersey that carry these bags in their stores.

Any tips and comments on the bags' ergonomics and aesthetics?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 28, 2014

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Edward IV posted:

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to spend the $30 round trip train tickets into Manhattan and try the bags in person at B&H. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any shops in New Jersey that carry these bags in their stores.

It's probably a long shot, but my local Wal-mart actually has those bags in their camera department.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you have a Best Buy anywhere near you, they should have Passport Slings. All their stores here in Toledo have them.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Thanks for the tips.

My local Best Buy did have the Passport Slings and the Streamline 250 but not the 150. I brought my 14mm and 23mm and they're a little too tight to fit together by themselves in either of the fixed camera compartments in the Streamline let alone with a divider that wasn't meant to fit in such a narrow compartment. The Passport Sling, on the other hand, had more than enough room for both lenses, my future 56mm, and the X-T1 in the camera compartment. Something I didn't realize until seeing them in person is that the Passport Slings and Streamline 250 are roughly the same size but are both considerably less bulky and cumbersome than my Messenger 250.

So in the end, I think I'm going to go with the Passport Sling. As a bonus, it won't get easily confused for a man purse.

EDIT: Also, another thing I didn't realize with the Passport Sling was that the camera compartment is affixed to the interior sides of the bag with velcro. That means that my tablet would have to go in the main compartment at the rear of the bag with everything else. So while the price of the Model III does seem a little excessive to me, having the dedicated pouch for the tablet for easy access isn't nearly as big of a gimmick than I thought. Any opinions on choosing between the Model II or III?

The Model I is no good since the camera compartment has fixed velcro placements. The Model I is arranged for a full size DSLR while the Model II and III has more placements to accommodate a mirrorless camera and smaller lenses.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I bought the lowepro transporter strap.
It's pretty comfortable and doesn't have huge canon or nikon logos on it.
It's still not very long and the quick detatch buckles do not lock, so one false move and there it goes.

Would still recommend. Amazon has it for 10 bucks.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
With my recent GoPro purchase, I'm looking for a new bag that will also host it along with my Nikon D5100. Thing is, I've got two lenses, some general stuff like batteries & flash cards. Along with a small microphone and a few small things and this Lowepro case is fairly small that I have so it barely fits. Well, I'm planning on adding a flash like the SB700 and probably a longer lense. Then with all of my GoPro equipment......I need a new bag. However, I'm wanting to do some traveling, so I'm thinking maybe I should look into a backpack instead?

This is what I need to house:

- Nikon D5100
- 3 lenses
- SB700 Flash
- GoPro Black 3+
- Head mount
- Chest mount
- 2 ft pole
- Tripod
- Memory cards / flash cards
- Few misc. stuff like clothes & and extra screws for mounts

Also need it weather proof.

Any suggestions?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

How big are the lenses? Basic kit size or big stuff?

That's going to be a lot of stuff to fit, regardless. I know Lowepro sling bags and backpacks often have tripod holders along the sides. They have a really nicely improved bagfinder and explainer now too that may help you figure a few things out

E: drat near every Lowepro bag these days comes with a rain cover (ThinkTank's do as well), and if you need to be totally waterproof, their Dryzone bags are pretty well reviewed but very expensive.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 7, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

DJExile posted:

How big are the lenses? Basic kit size or big stuff?

That's going to be a lot of stuff to fit, regardless. I know Lowepro sling bags and backpacks often have tripod holders along the sides. They have a really nicely improved bagfinder and explainer now too that may help you figure a few things out

E: drat near every Lowepro bag these days comes with a rain cover (ThinkTank's do as well), and if you need to be totally waterproof, their Dryzone bags are pretty well reviewed but very expensive.

Basic kit stuff.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For hikes and longer hauls I like my Photo Sport 200. There's a larger version (the 30L) that might work a bit better for you.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those of you with the hatchback: is there any chance of fitting a laptop (14" or 16") in the "everyday section"?

If only they had built it with a laptop compartment it'd be perfect for me :(

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

HookShot posted:

Those of you with the hatchback: is there any chance of fitting a laptop (14" or 16") in the "everyday section"?

If only they had built it with a laptop compartment it'd be perfect for me :(

If you removed the camera compartment, maybe. It's really odd how few camera bags can fit a laptop, but I guess tablets are the way of the future or something.

I recently got the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and it fits every piece of camera kit I own, my laptop and my school materials, but the bag is also honkin' huge.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

In most cases, the largest capacity I see for a laptop these days is for a 13", but yeah like Geektox said, it's pretty much entirely tablets these days. 16" is a pretty big/heavy laptop too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

red19fire posted:

So, I now have 2 Elinchrom Quadra packs with 3 batteries, 2 A heads and a ringflash. I've seen recommendations for the Think Tank Airport, but that guy also has the much smaller lithium batteries, while I have the bulky Lead Gel ones. I have the hard case that fits a pack and two batteries and heads, but I kinda want to get rid of it and have all my lighting in one bag. Does anyone with a similar kit or bag have any recommendations?

Update: Got a Think Tank Airport International, fits almost everything.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'd love something that would hold two light stands and other light gear that has wheels -I have a couple of your standard "big rear end eBay light gear bags" but hauling these with no car is a bitch.

I'm guessing this will be expensive. Any suggestions?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Geektox posted:

If you removed the camera compartment, maybe. It's really odd how few camera bags can fit a laptop, but I guess tablets are the way of the future or something.

I recently got the Tom Bihn Brain Bag and it fits every piece of camera kit I own, my laptop and my school materials, but the bag is also honkin' huge.

DJExile posted:

In most cases, the largest capacity I see for a laptop these days is for a 13", but yeah like Geektox said, it's pretty much entirely tablets these days. 16" is a pretty big/heavy laptop too.

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, it really sucks how few bags fit laptops in them, and I definitely need to have mine when I go on a trip. I also found another review that said he could fit his 15" laptop in the bag, the laptop just covered the camera stuff, but since I should never have to use my camera when I have the laptop in the bag, I should be good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HookShot posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah, it really sucks how few bags fit laptops in them, and I definitely need to have mine when I go on a trip. I also found another review that said he could fit his 15" laptop in the bag, the laptop just covered the camera stuff, but since I should never have to use my camera when I have the laptop in the bag, I should be good.
Kata's actually pretty good for this. Mpst of their backpacks seem to have a variant that can hold a 14-15in notebook.
I think having the laptop blocking the camera would get extremely old, but I'm not you. I can think of many times where I've been shooting with a laptop in my bag.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

nm posted:

Kata's actually pretty good for this. Mpst of their backpacks seem to have a variant that can hold a 14-15in notebook.
I think having the laptop blocking the camera would get extremely old, but I'm not you. I can think of many times where I've been shooting with a laptop in my bag.
I'll have a look thanks, I really want back access only since I plan on taking it to some sketchy places and there's so few bags that offer it.

The laptop will only be in the bag when I'm actually travelling, otherwise I just leave it at the hotel/apartment/wherever I'm staying, so I don't really care if it blocks my camera access while I'm going through Heathrow sort of thing.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
What does everyone used to store their camera gear? I have a bunch of lenses I just have lying around in a big bag on the floor, and I really want to organise things better and keep my stuff in good shape. I searched online and noticed a bunch of dehumidifying photography fridge things for silly money (I assume those are a scam unless you're living in the Amazon or Singapore). I'm thinking of just getting a cheap standalone IKEA shelf with some glass doors maybe. Is there anything cheapish and purpose-built?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The fridges are for film, unless you literally live in the jungle.

I use a bigass dresser drawer. It's messy.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Here's the sort of thing that comes up when you search for "camera cabinet":
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabinet-Storage-Camera-Equipment-Lens-Black/dp/B00IQ723HW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0TAP714MGZRW7NSVXG08

Actually that price doesn't look too terrible, but I reckon it's unlikely I'd need a dehumidifier in the UK. They seem quite popular though. Are lenses actually that sensitive to moisture?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone used the Flipside 300?

Use:
1) Overseas carryon travel. Must fit carryon sizes (it looks like it does..)
2) 6D + 28-75, 40mm pancake lens
3) Tablet (ipad mini) and various minor nick nacks like phone/wallet.

Seems like it's good to go with room to spare, but want to verify and see if anyone uses that specific bag.

Walked fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 13, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I finally bought a blackrapid classic strap and :psyduck: it is good. Should have bought it earlier.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Walked posted:

Anyone used the Flipside 300?

Use:
1) Overseas carryon travel. Must fit carryon sizes (it looks like it does..)
2) 6D + 28-75, 40mm pancake lens
3) Tablet (ipad mini) and various minor nick nacks like phone/wallet.

Seems like it's good to go with room to spare, but want to verify and see if anyone uses that specific bag.

I use a Flipside 300, and I love it. It'll fit all your stuff easily (as long as it's an ipad mini, not an ipad) with plenty of room for extra lenses and flashes or whatever. You shouldn't have any issue taking it on the plane, it's smaller than most carry-on stuff. I haven't taken mine abroad but I use it for outings around the UK, and frankly it fits too much gear if anything; I use a much smaller Sony a7r, but if I want I can take my camera body, 14mm, 28mm, 50mm, 200mm, flash, extra cards and batteries etc. with filters and all the rest and sling a travel tripod on the back, and it's still comfortable. I wouldn't recommend lugging around a big tripod on the back though, it's just too unwieldy then. The other thing is you'll struggle fitting a vertical grip in there if it's attached to your camera, I've heard of people having problems with that.

The swing-around feature works really really well, and it's crazy handy when you need to quickly switch lenses in a muddy field, which is the main reason why I got it. The problem is that the back section of the bag that flaps down when you unzip it always gets in the way and makes you wish you had a third hand to hold it open. It's just something you have to deal with, but I do wish it would fold out of the way somewhere.

Another point to remember is that it doesn't come with a waterproof cover unlike the 400AW. I've never used mine in heavy rain so I don't know how well it would cope, but I'd be tempted to get some sort of rain cover if I was taking it abroad for extended trips.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 15, 2014

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So in July I am going on a vacation to Arcadia national park. I was hoping someone might have suggestions for a backpack than can hold these things.

Minimum
Nikon d7000
Sigma 50-500 with the tripod mount attached
Extra 35mm lens
Large tripod

Would be sweet if it can also have
Nikon FM with 50mm lens
Film
Nikon doubler
Water bottle or camelback

The major thing is space for the 50-500, the lens is great but finding bags for it is a pain.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That doesn't seem that crazy actually. I'm pretty sure all of that would fit in my Think Tank Streetwalker Pro with a little bit of divider arranging.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Jimlad posted:

I use a Flipside 300, and I love it. It'll fit all your stuff easily (as long as it's an ipad mini, not an ipad) with plenty of room for extra lenses and flashes or whatever. You shouldn't have any issue taking it on the plane, it's smaller than most carry-on stuff. I haven't taken mine abroad but I use it for outings around the UK, and frankly it fits too much gear if anything; I use a much smaller Sony a7r, but if I want I can take my camera body, 14mm, 28mm, 50mm, 200mm, flash, extra cards and batteries etc. with filters and all the rest and sling a travel tripod on the back, and it's still comfortable. I wouldn't recommend lugging around a big tripod on the back though, it's just too unwieldy then. The other thing is you'll struggle fitting a vertical grip in there if it's attached to your camera, I've heard of people having problems with that.

The swing-around feature works really really well, and it's crazy handy when you need to quickly switch lenses in a muddy field, which is the main reason why I got it. The problem is that the back section of the bag that flaps down when you unzip it always gets in the way and makes you wish you had a third hand to hold it open. It's just something you have to deal with, but I do wish it would fold out of the way somewhere.

Another point to remember is that it doesn't come with a waterproof cover unlike the 400AW. I've never used mine in heavy rain so I don't know how well it would cope, but I'd be tempted to get some sort of rain cover if I was taking it abroad for extended trips.

Wanted to thank you for this; it was enough to convince me to pull the trigger.

It'll be mainly a 6D + iPad Mini + 24-75 lens + 1 flash + minor trinkets, which should work.
Knowing its smaller than most carryon is EXCELLENT as I do not want to run into problems with it on hand.

How is the non-camera storage space? Non-existant? :P

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Walked posted:

Wanted to thank you for this; it was enough to convince me to pull the trigger.

It'll be mainly a 6D + iPad Mini + 24-75 lens + 1 flash + minor trinkets, which should work.
Knowing its smaller than most carryon is EXCELLENT as I do not want to run into problems with it on hand.

How is the non-camera storage space? Non-existant? :P

You'll fit that camera gear in with room to spare, I reckon. What you've described will probably take up around 2/3 the available space depending on how it's packed. That said the bag isn't huge; bear in mind it's designed for camera gear, so don't count on putting too much else in there. There's a side pouch for water I guess, and you can store lots of small things in the zip-pouch at the top (that's usually where I throw all my filters). The iPad Mini will just slot in the back panel which flaps open.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

the_lion posted:

I'd love something that would hold two light stands and other light gear that has wheels -I have a couple of your standard "big rear end eBay light gear bags" but hauling these with no car is a bitch.

I'm guessing this will be expensive. Any suggestions?

Golf travel cases. Right size, soft or hard, your choice.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

torgeaux posted:

Genius. Thank you!

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

torgeaux posted:

Woah. I've never considered this. That is an awesome solution.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

powderific posted:

That doesn't seem that crazy actually. I'm pretty sure all of that would fit in my Think Tank Streetwalker Pro with a little bit of divider arranging.

After some searching found one of these on KEH for ~$100, should know next week if it will fit.

*edit*

It came and holy crap i can even fit my pentax into it as well! Totally what I need for my trip, thanks a bunch!

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 31, 2014

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I'm looking at bag options and I've narrowed it down to three that are bigger than what I have, but not too expensive - I'm trying to maximise my chances of getting the one I want as a birthday present.

I like the Lowepro Nova 17L because it's all weather and has a removable insert.

The Crumpler 7MDH looks like it might be a touch bigger, or just better laid out, but maybe not as padded.

And this Kata DC-445 is currently dirt cheap, so it wouldn't matter too much if it was poo poo.

I only need to fit basic gear - Canon 450D with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses, battery grip, flash, filters and a case with my spare SD cards in it. Room for small sundries would be nice too. Padding is good because I'm clumsy as gently caress. Any suggestions?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there like a.. small, camera sized pouch I could clip onto my messenger bag's strap that would fit an XE1 with 35 1.4?

Basically I want to start taking photos again, but I have a bag that's incredibly inconvenient to dig a camera out of, unfortunately I carry a lot of work related stuff and can't really swap out the bag right now.

I'm thinking of something that could clip to my bag's strap and I could just un-clip a few snaps or unzip a seam and my camera would come out. I'm not sure I'm articulating this right so I'll leave it up to your imagination.

Any suggestions?

Bonus points if it also fits a Zorki 6 film camera.

edit: Not at the same time as the XE1, obviously.

edit2: Went out and bought a Lowepro Dashpoint 30 which is pretty much exactly what I need. I'm a little concerned about the durability of the velcro straps holding the bag to my strap but I can likely jury rig that thing closed tight.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just bought a bicycle and I'm looking for a bag to carry a camera and some bicycle things with me. Would the Lowepro Hatchback be decent for that? Anything else I should be looking at?

• Locked thread