Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gyrobot posted:

Meanwile NISA keeps localizing awful JRPGs thhat reviewers slam. It is a sad world
I figured they think their audience is into Japanese stuff for the moe and only for the moe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
May I point out how incredibly glad I am that none of that has crept into Yakuza?

...though I say that without having played Haruka's section in Y5 yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Macaroni posted:

May I point out how incredibly glad I am that none of that has crept into Yakuza?

...though I say that without having played Haruka's section in Y5 yet.
Eh, Haruka's section is more about how being an idol is just straight-up hard work, and how the back end of the entertainment biz is run by terrible people. They definitely didn't sugarcoat it.

edit: however, the reasons Haruka went into that biz in the first place are not at all clear (why would a girl who has seen and done everything she has have a normal girl's dream?), and it makes me think that that section indeed WAS put in the game to appease the moe/idol crowd, but they took great care to keep its tone from clashing very much with the rest of the game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 4, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That's good to hear. Though I still think that video linked way back in this thread where they'd modded Haruka's character model to fight like Kiryu was The Best Thing.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I was surprised to find Haruka's chapter turned out to be my favorite part of the game. Though it did help that it was technically also Akiyama's section too.

I know I should have seen it coming with all the foreshadowing but Haruka's Manager getting murdered right after their girls night out hit me pretty hard.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nagoshi just blogged that Ishin will be fully revealed on Monday, which is coincidentally the same day of Sony Japan's Tokyo Game Show press conference. You will be able to watch the TGS conference in English on the PlayStation Blog.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ISHIN is for PlayStation 4, it looks insane. Get hype.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'll be happy just watching someone play through ISHIN. I want to watch the TGS trailer over and over again.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Policenaut posted:

ISHIN is for PlayStation 4, it looks insane. Get hype.
That it does. The moment I saw that eyepatch in the trailer, I was already flipping.

If this gets localized, Sega and Sony have my money for a PS4 sooner rather than later.

OH poo poo. ISHIN AVAILABLE AT JP PS4 LAUNCH! :supaburn:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ISHIN is apparently coming to PS3 and Vita?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, looks like it's on everything. I wonder which version is the main development version though?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would buy 2 copies if by some miracle it got released over here.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Policenaut posted:

ISHIN is apparently coming to PS3 and Vita?

PS3, potentially. Vita, likely not. That was likely the Playstation 4's Native Cross/Remote Play.

But then again, what do I know. Everything went by so fast at the end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought Cross Play referred to the ability to swap save files between the PS3/PS4 and Vita versions?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Hey Sega scrap the Vita cross-compatibility and spend that money localizing the game for America instead.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Hey Sega scrap the Vita cross-compatibility and spend that money localizing the game for America instead.
gently caress you the VITA is megabux $$$$$$$

(How well is the Vita going in regions?)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Vita support is PS4 Cross Play.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Policenaut posted:

Vita support is PS4 Cross Play.

Isn't that just for when you're near the PS4 though? I want to say they made it sound like you could take it on the go with you, which would have to mean they made a version that can run on the Vita itself, but I wasn't paying too much attention since it's not like I'll ever get to play the game anyways.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1WSbZWFpdo

For those who haven't seen it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Saito kills Sakamoto and takes his place because hey, there has to be a Sakamoto. That's definitely one way to set things up.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
TAKE THIS WITH A HEAP OF SALT but a poster on Neogaf who has been confirmed to work at Sony in some capacity is saying that Ishin is going to come to the West.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80801349&postcount=6142

I don't want to get my hopes up because him working at Sony doesn't necessarily mean he has access to that kind of info, but it's something.

I'd still rather get Yakuza 5 first but gently caress it Ishin looks awesome and I will take any Yakuza I can get my dirty mitts on. I would buy 10 copies if the rumor is true.

And on another note I still don't read Japanese but apparently this says that the game will have 4 player online multiplayer?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I'd be beyond okay with that, but even if it somehow does come to the West it won't sate my appetite and I'll continue to yearn for the Yakuza Left Behind :japan:

EDIT: \/ PS3, PS4, and PS Vita it seems.

EDIT 2: oh man yes

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 9, 2013

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
If this is on PS4 then I'm willing to forget my illiteracy and my rapidly diminishing translation skills--I'll import this sucker.

MykonosFan posted:

Yakuza Left Behind :japan:
"After all believing Christians are caught up to heaven in the Rapture, Kiryu Kazuma has been...Left Behind."

Would also play that game, yes.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Honestly, being a near-launch title is fantastic. Early consoles are hungry for games, and this will hopefully have some pull to it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I will buy at least 2 copies if that ends up being true.

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011
The person who made that amazing Haruka mod did some recordings of her in coliseum battles. Most of it's pretty redundant, but the bike heat from 0:50 to 1:00 is :3: and 4:20 to the end shows some cool specials.

I think this is the first time I've heard Shining Gate without Majima singing it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Micawber posted:

The person who made that amazing Haruka mod did some recordings of her in coliseum battles. Most of it's pretty redundant, but the bike heat from 0:50 to 1:00 is :3: and 4:20 to the end shows some cool specials.

I think this is the first time I've heard Shining Gate without Majima singing it.
I still don't understand how he made it so her smaller size doesn't screw up all the animations.

edit: or maybe the model is changed to be as tall as Kiryu, it's hard to tell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If I shin really is coming then I'm still holding hope that 5 is quietly in the works.

I want to believe.

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011
Yeah, I think she's scaled up. Not that I understand how they'd do that either, but the guys she's fighting look about the same height. I'm hoping the mod works for karaoke too, so she can do Kiryu's and Saejima's support dances.

I wonder if the animations for her league dances are stored differently and how hard it would be to swap models for 'em - seeing Kiryu do Loneliness Loop would be amazing.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Micawber posted:

I can't help but think this is how Yakuza should have handled Haruka. I don't think it's possible to be raised by Kiryu and not end up shoving bikes into peoples faces, it's like osmosis.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Daedalus1134 posted:

I can't help but think this is how Yakuza should have handled Haruka. I don't think it's possible to be raised by Kiryu and not end up shoving bikes into peoples faces, it's like osmosis.
Yep, people have been saying that ever since the first game I think. But the issue is, as I have said before, will players be ok with seeing her get mangled when you lose a fight? For a lot of especially Japanese players, I bet the answer is no.

Micawber
Sep 24, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yep, people have been saying that ever since the first game I think. But the issue is, as I have said before, will players be ok with seeing her get mangled when you lose a fight? For a lot of especially Japanese players, I bet the answer is no.

Except you don't see characters get "mangled"? You just get knocked over and go to gameover, nothing worse than if you lost a battle while partnered with Sayama in Yakuza 2. It's probably got more to do with them thinking the majority of the fanbase prefers Haruka as a 'proper' lady (which is a real pity).

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they're okay with seeing Mai Shiranui or Chun Li getting beat up, surely they'd be okay with beating up Haruka. Right?

I'm just sad because my daughter would find rear end-kicking Haruka to be the most amazing thing ever. Way more than dancing Haruka.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Macaroni posted:

If they're okay with seeing Mai Shiranui or Chun Li getting beat up, surely they'd be okay with beating up Haruka. Right?

I'm just sad because my daughter would find rear end-kicking Haruka to be the most amazing thing ever. Way more than dancing Haruka.
You spent the first four games protecting Haruka, and that's clearly a huge part of not just this game but Japanese games in general (not to mention every media ever, little girls are the default thing to protect), so I can understand why they think some fans would react badly if they suddenly didn't have to do that anymore. Yeah it's stupid but our brains are stupid about this stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Well, Haruka's existence confirmed, anyway. No clue whether she's playing the part of a historical person or not.

It says there "improve your relationship with Haruka and she'll wash your back and sleep next to you!"

Ok....

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So I finally started playing Yakuza 3 as it's been sitting in my backlog forever (alongside 4). It's a drat good game and I am just puzzled why it and 4 tanked. I think the marketing just went terribly wrong, as they probably tried to market as GTA Tokyo, when in reality its A-RPG/Brawler crime thriller adventure game.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I remember hearing Yakuza 3 sold over 100,000 copies outside of Japan, which seems pretty decent to me. I think think the problem was that Yakuza 3 starts out extremely slowly and doesn't turn into the game people were expecting for like five hours. I know what they were going for with the intro but it just goes on for way too long. A lot of people probably quit before they even left Okinawa(? I forget the starting area's name), and then never bothered with 4 as a result.

Also Yakuza 3 was just bad in general.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, Yakuza 3's whole first portion was a bad intro for people new to the series. It was my first experience with the series, but I put up with it because I loved Shenmue and the Okinawa parts of Yakuza are basically Shenmue with more fights.

Then I got to Tokyo/Kamurocho and was like :aaa:.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

The Macaroni posted:

Yeah, Yakuza 3's whole first portion was a bad intro for people new to the series. It was my first experience with the series, but I put up with it because I loved Shenmue and the Okinawa parts of Yakuza are basically Shenmue with more fights.

Then I got to Tokyo/Kamurocho and was like :aaa:.

Hmm... I kind of liked the exposition, but again, it's great if you are expecting an Adventure/A-RPG/Brawler vs GTA. They gave a pretty good intro to various characters, gave background of previous 2 games in the series and introduced you to controls/maps/fighting. I don't see what was wrong with that. I thought it was good intro and a great game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I remember hearing Yakuza 3 sold over 100,000 copies outside of Japan

I believe that was the number I heard, and that it actually made a profit in the US which is why 4 got localized. For some reason, 4 had absolutely abysmal sales compared to 3 (probably because 3 was hyped as a GTA-alike).

• Locked thread