Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm intrigued by the premise so far. It's doing some similar things at the moment as the Darth Maul series, but I'm enjoying both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So the horror crossover is finished and I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not a fan of Salvador Larroca's art and it really did not fit the goth aesthetic. I feel they squandered some potential cool characters too.

Also that's an error where Han was in guard armor and then back to his regular clothes. :goonsay:

Anyway Poe was some nice classic X-Wing action and I'm looking forward to Lando.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Jason Aaron is off the main Star Wars book at issue #37. Kieron Gillen will replace him.

Gillen also confirmed that Doctor Aphra will continue for another year.

The Thrawn novel is getting a comic adaption.

I wonder if the Poe series will wrap up soon as the search for Lor San Tekka is back on at issue #20?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Jason Aaron is off the main Star Wars book at issue #37. Kieron Gillen will replace him.

Gillen also confirmed that Doctor Aphra will continue for another year.

The Thrawn novel is getting a comic adaption.

I wonder if the Poe series will wrap up soon as the search for Lor San Tekka is back on at issue #20?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Poe series ends with it dovetailing straight into Episode VII. "Hey, we found Tekka! He's living out on Jakku!". Hopefully we get another arc or two before that though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The main star wars comic has been... not great... recently. I'm glad gillen is taking over, I'm sad larocca comes with him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This will probably be old news to some...but the next main story arc of the main Star Wars comic is bringing our main characters to Jedha! Excited to see what Gillen does with that concept!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Larocca still penciling? I'm really, really tired of it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is Doctor Aphra worth reading? Comixology has a buy one get one free sale on all Marvel books and thinking of grabbing all the issues for it for $25 (this includes the annual).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rirse posted:

Is Doctor Aphra worth reading? Comixology has a buy one get one free sale on all Marvel books and thinking of grabbing all the issues for it for $25 (this includes the annual).

Absolutely. Aphra the character is awesome, and Aphra the comic follows suit. (Especially if you've read the whole run of Vader)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Gillens stuff is easily the best thing about the Marvel Star Wars stuff, which IMO mostly has amounted to nothing else really great after like 3 years of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Lando mini-series is great

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Is Larocca still penciling? I'm really, really tired of it.

He is yes. I had hoped they'd continue to rotate someone new on with each arc like had been doing.

jivjov posted:

Absolutely. Aphra the character is awesome, and Aphra the comic follows suit. (Especially if you've read the whole run of Vader)

I second the Aphra praise. Evil Indiana Jones in space is good.

Roth posted:

The Lando mini-series is great

I've liked a lot of the minis Marvel has put out so far.

Han Solo, Obi-Wan & Anakin, and Lando being my favorites.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The final page of the Rogue One comics adaptation is really nice.

Almost makes up for the rest of it being rather mediocre.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Did you read the Cassian one-shot? If yes, how was it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cptn_dr posted:

Did you read the Cassian one-shot? If yes, how was it?

It's a fun little one-off that gives you exactly what it says on the tin; the meeting of Cassian and K2. Definitely glad it got its own issue instead of crammed in as flashbacks in the adaptation miniseries.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Anybody else check out Star Wars Adventures?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Roth posted:

Anybody else check out Star Wars Adventures?

Got that one today too. Its definitely aimed at younger readers, but I like the concept of the multipart "Rey has to rescue Plutt" story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, it's pretty neat, and I like kid's comics like that. Nice to relax to.

And holy poo poo is the art in the Phasma comic insane.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

jivjov posted:

The final page of the Rogue One comics adaptation is really nice.

Almost makes up for the rest of it being rather mediocre.

What's the last page?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

What's the last page?

The opening crawl from A New Hope

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

jivjov posted:

The opening crawl from A New Hope

I thought that was a nice touch as well.

I enjoyed both Darth Vader and Captain Phasma.

Captain Phasma was interesting in that where she's a flat character in the film in the comic she immediately moves to cover her tracks and pin the blame of the shields being lowered on someone else in a self-serving way. It reminded me of a similar thing Darth Vader did in the opening arc of his first comic. I wonder if that is supposed to be her characterization or is something they doing to explain her rolling over for Han and Finn in TFA.

The struggle to corrupt the crystal in Darth Vader is such an interesting concept.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Phasma was completely nondescript in characterization in her book but since its Kelly Thompson whos been doing amazing in hawkeye and jem im gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and stick with it

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OhFunny posted:

Captain Phasma was interesting in that where she's a flat character in the film in the comic she immediately moves to cover her tracks and pin the blame of the shields being lowered on someone else in a self-serving way. It reminded me of a similar thing Darth Vader did in the opening arc of his first comic. I wonder if that is supposed to be her characterization or is something they doing to explain her rolling over for Han and Finn in TFA.l

Her origin novel that just came out has her doing stuff like this too. Not sure if they retconned that to give her more characterization after how flat she was in TFA, or if this was always the plan, and we're just getting the opportunity to see t now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/908722104278880267

One-shot set on Crait

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star Wars #36 is probably the highlight issue of Aaron's run.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I hate when artists go too far copying the faces of actors. That style of digital gradient skin is unpleasant. I'll take a dodgy original face over one that looks pasted on. The Kenobi diary issues are really bad about this.

Star Wars was a lot better than I was led to believe. It's not as good as Vader and Aphra but it's not something I'd tell a friend to skip like some of the mini-series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Salvador Larocca is really bad and I wish they'd find someone else to do the art.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm prepping my next comics binding project and I have a nerd/pedantry question to pose to the crowd.

I'm binding up the Dark Horse Purge One-Shots as well as their 4 Darth Vader miniseries. I can't decide if I want to organize them

In publication order:
  • Purge
  • Purge: Seconds to Die
  • Purge: The Hidden Blade
  • Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  • Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
  • Purge: The Tyrant's Fist (Issues 1 & 2)
  • Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
  • Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows
  • The Assassination of Darth Vader
or keep the Purge stuff first, Vader minis second.
  • Purge
  • Purge: Seconds to Die
  • Purge: The Hidden Blade
  • Purge: The Tyrant's Fist (Issues 1 & 2)
  • Darth Vader and the Lost Command
  • Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
  • Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
  • Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows
  • The Assassination of Darth Vader

At the end of the day...it really doesn't matter much and only affects the placement of Tyrant's Fist...but I figured I'd seek out the goon hivemind for opinions.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 19, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The official release (Star Wars Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 1) puts the Purge ones first then the Vader miniseries (it also includes Republic #78-80, which it puts before the rest of them).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

The official release (Star Wars Epic Collection: The Empire Vol. 1) puts the Purge ones first then the Vader miniseries (it also includes Republic #78-80, which it puts before the rest of them).

Sounds like that's what I'll do then. I'm not putting in those Republic Issues...but I did dig up my FCBD "Assassination of Darth Vader" issue that I'm gonna toss in at the end.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do you plan on putting Vader's Quest in or does it not fit in the timeline?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you plan on putting Vader's Quest in or does it not fit in the timeline?

I don't have those as single issues, and 26 issues is already pushing the limits of how big I want a book to be. (For reference, my Marvel Darth Vader has 27, and it's aaaaaaalmost too big)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I miss the good ol' days of Dark Horse Star Wars comics. Almost every single ad page was doublesided and thus trimmable from my prepped stack.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So the Poe comic may possibly be wrapping up at issue 25. Issue 20 launches a 6 issue sort arc, the first issue of which actually has Max Von Sydow/ Lor San Tekka on the cover. So we're coming up on the end of the original stated goal of Poe's mission, the beginning of Episode VII, and there's precedent (Darth Vader) for a non-main ongoing to end at 25+Annuals

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
For those wondering how Dr. Aphra was going to fit in to the A New Hope-centric From a Certain Point of View anthology...Turns out she was on Dantooine scavenging left-behind equipment from the abandoned Rebel base when the Empire showed up to examine the place.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Oh my Sergeant Kreel's taken a turn toward the fanatical after meeting the Emperor.

The cover for upcoming issue #38 is real beautiful. I'm going to pick up a physical copy of it from LCS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm liking the direction the new Vader series is going. I liked the concept of the Inquisitors, but Rebels didn't really do a whole lot with the organization as a whole. I hope they get a good showing in Vader

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Palpatines loving face O_o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm digging the Mace Windu miniseries. They're actually digging in to the idea of Jedi that are fundamentally opposed to the war, and not just paying lipservice to their opposition.

EDIT: Another one-shot was announced recently; DJ (Benecio Del Toro's character in The Last Jedi) is getting a one-shot in January

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 25, 2017