Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Our fancy professional deck's slab is anchored to the house foundation. Lacking such tools and know-how, leave a 2cm gap between the deck and house and you'll be good. I would definitely at least float it on a grid of cinder blocks.

What's your vision for deck usage? Ours is just 270 x 180 (9x6 feet) but it still gets plenty of use for playing and picnics because it's in the right location.

This. Also--if you intend on going through the building permit process--you should check with local building codes. In fact, you might want to submit an initial plan and have an inspector for the city eyeball it. In general, low decks like this can easily be set on precast concrete deck piers, and as long as the deck isn't physically anchored to the house you shouldn't get much grief.

Is the soil clay? That's helpful if settling is an issue.

I've seen decks placed directly on the ground if the construction material is good for ground contact. Those are typically quite separated from the house, though.

LOVE,
VITALIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We're upgrading to real custom blinds for our dining room window!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Aside from minimizing my family’s lung cancer risk, my radon mitigation system is kind of a drag. I guess I’m just going to build a sanded-plywood box around this and have a wart on the floor. Any creative solutions?

I turned off the system today to reroute some electrical. Figured I’d see a small jump, but whoa.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ I'd probably made a wedge-shape cover for that, and/or throw a shelf over it.

Sorry my autistic phone won't take a clear picture of these colors. White to match the window? Dark brown to match the sill? White on one side brown on the other to change moods with the angle? Red to match the blinds that will go in the window upstairs immediately above this one?
They will in general always be angled window-side-up room-side-down to block the view from the street 4 feet away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

peanut posted:

^^^ I'd probably made a wedge-shape cover for that, and/or throw a shelf over it.

Sorry my autistic phone won't take a clear picture of these colors. White to match the window? Dark brown to match the sill? White on one side brown on the other to change moods with the angle? Red to match the blinds that will go in the window upstairs immediately above this one?
They will in general always be angled window-side-up room-side-down to block the view from the street 4 feet away.

Always cream. Get samples.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Leaning towards dual tone or cream with red stripes, am I a baka or just an idiot

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

I'd personally go for white so that the window is still a strong source of (reflected) light even when they're closed, but natural or stained wood looks good on venetian blinds.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is no one else traumatized by white office blinds with brokeass wonky pieces and huge chunks of dust

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

Is no one else traumatized by white office blinds with brokeass wonky pieces and huge chunks of dust

I suppose it depends how lovely the blinds are you're planning on installing. It's not the colour that makes them wonky.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You are absolutely right. These will be proper interior shop non-flimsy blinds cut to custom fit. It sounds like dual white/dark brown might be the safest choice...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've got a remote thermostat that my mother in law has so perfectly hidden in the house that after weeks of search I still can't find it. I know it's here because if it's out of range/off then the system shuts down. Unfortunately she set it to somewhere between sweatbox and devil's armpit, so I'm having to open windows and subsequently may as well just burn money in my log burner.

Does anyone have any bright ideas before I rip it out and replace with a nest/hive?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ramp up the heating in particular rooms in sequence to isolate which don't affect the thermostat.

Or develop a mission-impossible-style gadget to track the signal down in a dramatic montage.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I've heard of avoiding speaking to a mother in law but this just seems ridiculous.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

eddiewalker posted:

I turned off the system today to reroute some electrical. Figured I’d see a small jump, but whoa.

Got a link to that tester?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I've got a remote thermostat that my mother in law has so perfectly hidden in the house that after weeks of search I still can't find it. I know it's here because if it's out of range/off then the system shuts down. Unfortunately she set it to somewhere between sweatbox and devil's armpit, so I'm having to open windows and subsequently may as well just burn money in my log burner.

Does anyone have any bright ideas before I rip it out and replace with a nest/hive?

I just got back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Frinkahedron posted:

Got a link to that tester?

It’s the Corentium on Amazon. I paid $180 rationalizing it as cheaper than a couple of charcoal tests, but I’m not sure it was worth it.

The mitigation installer still needs a certified charcoal test for warranty purposes, and the only info I really need is to glance at the manometer on the pipe to know there’s suction under the house. Still, gadget.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Is there any consensus on a good cheap thermostat? I only have central (oil) heat atm so I’m not really looking for something like a Nest. Just something a little better than the old round Honeywell one that has probably been in the house for 1,000 years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Southern Heel posted:

Pull out all the batteries from the other themostats and use a SDR to triangulate the 433 MHz signal from the hidden one.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Is there any consensus on a good cheap thermostat? I only have central (oil) heat atm so I’m not really looking for something like a Nest. Just something a little better than the old round Honeywell one that has probably been in the house for 1,000 years.

Anything digital and programmable is going to be fine. Just find one you like the look of. I had a $40 7-day Honeywell for years before my power company gave me a free Nest.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I'm looking to get a keypad entry for my house, and would like something that comes with a keyfob/proximity card. Not interested in a smart lock - I don't need to remotely operate the lock or have Alexa do anything with it.

Basically, this is pretty much what I'm looking for: https://www.amazon.com/HAIFUAN-Digi...60YCMDS68WPX5SJ

However, I'm wary of getting a Chinese brand I've never heard of. Anyone aware of other options with similar features?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

dphi posted:

I'm looking to get a keypad entry for my house, and would like something that comes with a keyfob/proximity card. Not interested in a smart lock - I don't need to remotely operate the lock or have Alexa do anything with it.

Basically, this is pretty much what I'm looking for: https://www.amazon.com/HAIFUAN-Digi...60YCMDS68WPX5SJ

However, I'm wary of getting a Chinese brand I've never heard of. Anyone aware of other options with similar features?

Samsung is I believe the only game in town that is even at all close to not a hilarious security problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Samsung is I believe the only game in town that is even at all close to not a hilarious security problem.

The Kevo ones are bad? I was looking at one of those.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

At least for what I'm looking for - the Kevo doesn't have a keypad. I'm not looking for something that requires a phone with bluetooth either. Wirecutter thinks highly of the Kevo, but the Amazon reviews aren't the greatest.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

I'm going to assume you're joking as it is a Kwikset product. You should assume that you don't have a lock on your door with that brand. (I use Kwikset exclusively at my home - including an Abus lock with the KW1 compatible keyway.) These products all suffer from the same hot garbage problems as your other IoT consumer junk. I wouldn't spend your money on it until the market comes up with something that is worth owning.

https://www.cnet.com/news/have-a-smart-lock-yeah-it-can-probably-be-hacked/

The samsung one has basic pin protection (3 random numbers before your real pin so they are all smudged "evenly") and is I believe the only one I've seen sold by security enthusiasts. It's not even that expensive, unlike patented keyways like Medeco.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

These products all suffer from the same hot garbage problems as your other IoT consumer junk.

The Kevo doesn’t need to connect to the internet at all, AFAIK. Without additional hardware it can’t even talk to a Z-wave hub.

My actual IoT stuff is working great though!

I am utterly unconcerned with someone picking my lock, given that the entire back wall of my main floor is glass.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t know about the key card thing, but I’ve got one of the Kwikset button locks like this and I like it a lot. I expect my door to get kicked in before someone picks the lock, so whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NT1OX5K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AT1GAb298TSKT

Full disclosure, I have the z-wave version, so I get a notification on wrong-code attempts and can manage pins remotely.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The Kevo doesn’t need to connect to the internet at all, AFAIK. Without additional hardware it can’t even talk to a Z-wave hub.

My actual IoT stuff is working great though!

I am utterly unconcerned with someone picking my lock, given that the entire back wall of my main floor is glass.

I hold it all in equal disdain. :v: You built some fancy pants IoT irrigation system right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really wanted the touch one, but maybe keypad works.

The trick is finding one that can handle a 2 3/8” door, so far.

H110Hawk posted:

I hold it all in equal disdain. :v: You built some fancy pants IoT irrigation system right?

No, but I plan to build a system this summer that also doesn’t connect to the internet, just local soil humidity sensors and rain detectors. Probably not even Z-wave.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a key fob type door lock, as long as I have the keys in my pocket, it unlocks easily. I was skeptical but my husband insisted and he was right! It's very helpful for oh poo poo did I lock the door, and for when my hands are full with groceries and/or children. Range is 1m for pocket and 2m for key fob button by default.
It has a pull-off cover for an analog key in case of power outages and emergencies. (The phone picture on the website is an ic chip sticker on a phone, not an app.)
http://www.ykkap.co.jp/products/door/sck/

The keypad options were all analog for back doors.
Every post above mine has good advice. You might have to choose between ic and keypad unless you get experts involved.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

We have a key fob type door lock, as long as I have the keys in my pocket, it unlocks easily. I was skeptical but my husband insisted and he was right! It's very helpful for oh poo poo did I lock the door, and for when my hands are full with groceries and/or children. Range is 1m for pocket and 2m for key fob button by default.
It has a pull-off cover for an analog key in case of power outages and emergencies. (The phone picture on the website is an ic chip sticker on a phone, not an app.)
http://www.ykkap.co.jp/products/door/sck/

The keypad options were all analog for back doors.
Every post above mine has good advice. You might have to choose between ic and keypad unless you get experts involved.

That's pretty cool. How much was it?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We got the whole door for a new house and it was probably... something like $4000 for touch card + pocket key fob, compared to $3000 for an analog regular door for just normal keys. That sounds ridiculous but it's a good door! Insulated! And it's magnetic!

peanut fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 14, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

We got the whole door for a new house and it was probably... something like $4000 for touch card + pocket key fob, compared to $3000 for an analog regular door for just normal keys. That sounds ridiculous but it's a good door! Insulated! And it's magnetic!

Good lord.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

peanut posted:

A $4000 door better have a robotic glory hole and automated turret defenses against unwanted intrusions.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan regulations so yeah, they are serious about fire and earthquake resistance for residential front doors (side doors and windows are about subtle ventilation.) Every new build I see has doors from the same catalogs. The rules are less strict for businesses and warehouses.

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

baquerd posted:

A $4000 door better have a robotic glory hole and automated turret defenses against unwanted intrusions.

Seems like these would cancel each other out.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

peanut posted:

What in the holy gently caress

Are you sure this was "Japan regulations" and not you being taken for a wild ride

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I'm in the strange position of agreeing that it's dumb to spend 4k on a door, but feeling I should point out that you could walk into a Home Depot tomorrow and buy a 3k door. Like, 4k isn't some insane, unheard of price for a front door with sidelights, especially from a builder a little higher end than the Home Depot specials.

But if I was buying one, I probably wouldn't spend over a grand, so :shrug:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm sure the government and the manufacturers are jerking each other off, all I can do is supply the tissues. :shrug: There are cheaper sources online but our builder had bad experiences with weird dimensions, knobs sold separately, etc. that added to labor costs.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 15, 2018

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am having a home built and the builder (A large development style builder, Hayden Homes) is running into some struggles on the quality control front. It seems every day I find some new problem with the house. Usually I know enough about the topic to know what the fix should be, and what it should look like. I have now run into an issue that I am unsure of how it needs to be fixed. The master bath's tub, which is one of those one piece acrylic/fiberglass unit has some damage along the side. I don't know if this is a repair in place issue, or replace the whole tub. Below is a picture. If anyone has any idea on how this needs to be rectified I would appreciate it. I want to make sure that if the unit does indeed need to be replaced I can have the builder do that, instead of just patching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Unless that's going to be covered up you should insist on a replacement.