Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of RPGs actually do offer you other options but many people go for the brute force approach, or read a FAQ which just outlines what to do, and that tends to limit people's options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some people who play JRPGs also tend to not like when games restrict the viability of grinding. FFXIII and the Other FFXIII Lost Odyssey both had systems to cap level advancement and there definitely complaints about difficulty (Lost Odyssey in Particular).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Or good ol' Chrono Cross. But nobody really complained about the difficulty there, outside of Miguel...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Terper posted:

There's Normal Mode and Easy Mode, and some way to reduce levels/stop you from gaining exp (you could also just never camp). No hard mode yet, but maybe as DLC, Tabata has said.

Speaking of DMC, bring on Heaven or Hell difficulty mode :twisted:

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
As much as I might sound like a worrywart about the game I really can't wait. I've been replaying the Platinum Demo to death and while the combat is simple it really is fun to just swoosh around.

Interestingly enough I've heard several comments that it's kinda bad compared to the full game. I wonder if they just meant the framerate has been improved.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nina posted:

As much as I might sound like a worrywart about the game I really can't wait. I've been replaying the Platinum Demo to death and while the combat is simple it really is fun to just swoosh around.

Interestingly enough I've heard several comments that it's kinda bad compared to the full game. I wonder if they just meant the framerate has been improved.

Supposedly they've ironed out a lot of the performance problems and that was what the extra dev time was for but I guess we'll find out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bad quality, but here you can see how it looks like right now (without any possible day one patch improvements)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Swy1a2oQs

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Griffin fight is probably a better example. Same bad quality, but the dude plays much better. Also we get to see Armiger, which has been missing in a lot of videos since Episode Duscae.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually this is the best example

http://i.imgur.com/AYTiFvZ.mp4

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cabela's Big Game Hunter - Final Fantasy XV

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm so glad that wait mode exists. My only problem with this game was I didn't really like the whole real time action fighting, and prefer a more traditional Final Fantasy turn based fighting style. This pretty much solves that. I cannot wait for this game!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad FF XV is now a cover shooter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Can you warp strike with a gun?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

RatHat posted:

Can you warp strike with a gun?

And if you can, do you throw the gun or warp to the bullet

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Terper posted:

Actually this is the best example

http://i.imgur.com/AYTiFvZ.mp4

I was just watching this and laughing.

I wonder how they're balancing the guns. At least the chakrams in Platinum Demo drain MP but the guns don't seem to work the same way.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Terper posted:

Bad quality, but here you can see how it looks like right now (without any possible day one patch improvements)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Swy1a2oQs

drat this is some really cool enemy design.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp I watched Kingsglaive & all of Brotherhood. Kingsglaive was a sorta neat action film with weird audio, Brotherhood was adorable at points.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Golden Goat posted:

Welp I watched Kingsglaive & all of Brotherhood. Kingsglaive was a sorta neat action film with weird audio, Brotherhood was adorable at points.

Prompto's episode was adorable otherwise but they could've given him a more believable motivation to get in shape than "I need to look like a boyband member to talk to this guy who's already cool with me"

I hope Kingsglaive is consistent with the quality of the game's story. It was kind of a goofy but really pretty action movie but I enjoyed the characters and it made for a really nice intro to get you excited for the game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Prompto's episode was adorable otherwise but they could've given him a more believable motivation to get in shape than "I need to look like a boyband member to talk to this guy who's already cool with me"

He felt lonely and ostracized because he was fat (he wasn't really, it was his own self-confidence issues that prevented him from reaching out to people). He didn't actually think Noctis wanted to be friends with him, because who'd want to be friends with a fat loser like him, right?? (Noctis would). That's pretty darn good motivation imo.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Terper posted:

He felt lonely and ostracized because he was fat (he wasn't really, it was his own self-confidence issues that prevented him from reaching out to people). He didn't actually think Noctis wanted to be friends with him, because who'd want to be friends with a fat loser like him, right?? (Noctis would). That's pretty darn good motivation imo.

I think it could've been conveyed better that he was doing it for his own sake instead of trying to look cooler for Noctis.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Nina posted:

Yeah it could have been worked a bit better. Still adorable.

I love all the monsters i'm seeing, it's cool seeing old monsters redone for this game. Was not expecting to see Diamond Weapon again.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There's something I absolutely adore about the juxtaposition of seeing all these semi-realistic boyband boys wearing black next to something like a tonberry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Brotherhood was good just for how many humanizing moments it had for Noctis himself.

When he forlornly asked how to throw out a burnt frying pan he felt more like an actual person than anyone in the entire FFXIII saga.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Noctis is a right lovable dork on the inside. It's something you never would've guessed seeing all those trailers a decade ago.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nina posted:

Noctis is a right lovable dork on the inside. It's something you never would've guessed seeing all those trailers a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6kNTfS4320&t=305s

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Hey it still took it 5 years for the dorkiness to surface.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nina posted:

I think it could've been conveyed better that he was doing it for his own sake instead of trying to look cooler for Noctis.

But it's not like he realized it was for his own sake; in his mind people didn't want to be friends with him because he was a fat loser, and so he had to improve himself in order to befriend Noctis. He wasn't thinking, "Noctis would like me how I am, but *I* want to improve myself before I hang out with him." I dunno, it's a realistic portrayal of human motivations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Will there be any traditional armor I can wear? Or will we all be trench coat wearing yakuzas?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Schwartzcough posted:

But it's not like he realized it was for his own sake; in his mind people didn't want to be friends with him because he was a fat loser, and so he had to improve himself in order to befriend Noctis. He wasn't thinking, "Noctis would like me how I am, but *I* want to improve myself before I hang out with him." I dunno, it's a realistic portrayal of human motivations.

It just felt like it lacked emotional catharsis. All it would've needed was a goofy scene of Noctis not even noticing the difference or something like that making Prompto realize he was a worthwhile person all along. As it ends it comes off like Prompto's real issues were never satisfyingly resolved.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Nina posted:

It just felt like it lacked emotional catharsis. All it would've needed was a goofy scene of Noctis not even noticing the difference or something like that making Prompto realize he was a worthwhile person all along. As it ends it comes off like Prompto's real issues were never satisfyingly resolved.

It was a fleeting moment, but when Prompto introduces himself again after he gets in shape Noctis is just like "Yeah, I know who you are, why are you acting weird all of a sudden?" But at that point Prompto is feeling too confident to notice, which isn't as vicariously satisfying to a viewer, even though Prompto feels on top of the world.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was debating cancelling my gently caress You Edition for the normal but apparently I just got charged for it so welp

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

If I had the chance to get chummy with Noctis, I'd put myself through a goddamn Rocky training montage too

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Arist posted:

I was debating cancelling my gently caress You Edition for the normal but apparently I just got charged for it so welp

They haven't told me if mine's been cancelled, I should probably check`

EDIT: NOPE, idk what's going on they might've decided to wait a few days to kill mine or something, whatever, I'll have the money for it by then I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Baal posted:

They haven't told me if mine's been cancelled, I should probably check`

EDIT: NOPE, idk what's going on they might've decided to wait a few days to kill mine or something, whatever, I'll have the money for it by then I guess.

Yeah I got a receipt from Paypal but it seems that they haven't actually charged me the full amount, gonna be annoying if I have to keep this money in my account for the next month

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eh, gently caress it, gonna see if it's not too late to cancel, Paypal has preapproved the transaction but I really don't want to spend all that money right now.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have the gently caress You Edition pre-ordered and nobody is gonna convince me to cancel it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Godspeed, brave soul.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My soul is actually quite cowardly because I'm not the one who's paying for it :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna wait and see if they'll cancel it before I get paid on thursday, but they really should have said something about needing to pay a month in advance and not four days out from payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I wanted a gently caress toy edition but couldn't get one so you fuckers cancelling are making me exceedingly butthurt

• Locked thread