Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Tiberius Christ posted:

lol at the thought that american psychology is so fragile and weak that advertisements on facebook was enough the psyop the whole country, in which case let the russians take over they are far superior to us

its worse than that, from the sounds of this article the us govt was probably going to topple sometime anyway but the russians gave it too big a shove and now they have to deal with a weathervane with nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Conch Shell Corp posted:

oh no a foreign government spent money influencing american democracy

aipac spends 10x what russia did every NON-election year, and no one gives a gently caress lmao, but all of a sudden leftists care about foreign influence in elections. man a country attempting to influence another... fuckjed up...

Not to mention the Saudi government too.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Tiberius Christ posted:

lol at the thought that american psychology is so fragile and weak that advertisements on facebook was enough the psyop the whole country, in which case let the russians take over they are far superior to us

Like, confirmation bias is a thing though? And it was pretty clear they were just trying to stir the poo poo. If you're already leaning towards the idea that Clinton wanted to do Thing, and then you see a bunch of social media stuff with headlines about "Clinton is Gonna Do the Thing!" then it reinforces your opinion - regardless of whether it's true.

Maybe if Clinton wasn't an exceptionally lovely candidate, we could instead laugh about how the Ruskies are dumb, but the consensus seems to be "there was an impact on the election caused by waves of bot spam linked to Russia"

PS: meddling in other countries is real lovely. It's not ok when America does it either

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

your friend a dog posted:

"the american people couldnt help it, the russian ads were just too much for them. they're not capable of making decisions on their own"

yeah

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
The internet makes you stupid, I thought we went over this!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

oh no a foreign government spent money influencing american democracy

aipac spends 10x what russia did every NON-election year, and no one gives a gently caress lmao, but all of a sudden leftists care about foreign influence in elections. man a country attempting to influence another... fuckjed up...

Your right, leftists are famous for being fine with everything Israel does, including what they do to Palestinians

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

have we gone from, "the russia narrative is falling apart" to "oh no well its not so bad guys lol" in the span of a few pages

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Waffle House posted:

have we gone from, "the russia narrative is falling apart" to "oh no well its not so bad guys lol" in the span of a few pages

It goes back and forth

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Have Blue posted:

aipac is also bad hth

please show me where the media and dnc cared at all about aipac or saudi

edit: fixed quote

Conch Shell Corp has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Nov 22, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

The DNC and media are leftists now? Lmfao

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Lemming posted:

The DNC and media are leftists now? Lmfao

quoted the wrong post meant this one sorry bud

Have Blue posted:

aipac is also bad hth

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Conch Shell Corp posted:

edit: fixed quote

iunno about the DNC but the media has been reporting on aipac's influence on the govt for quite a while, especially during Obama's Iran deal.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2015/09/03/how-aipac-lost-the-iran-deal-fight/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/01/friends-israel

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/w...%20Committee%20(AIPAC)

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

ok 3 articles dating back 5 years thanks for proving my point?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Lemming posted:

It goes back and forth

:nallears:

I think the Moscow one stopped posting, but doing whois queries on domains reblogged in groups like this one on facebook yields some funny owner-geo results when they forget to use a private registrar.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They're just really good at trolling

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

scary foreigners are influencing the US elections! -smarmy british 'comedian' on late night show

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Waffle House posted:

Like Russians? Everyone knows there's special DNS measures in place to keep the Russians from escaping. It's like North Korea, but with the internet.

Sounds like we need a wall. An internet wall.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Please don't support the dismantling of net neutrality

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Skypie posted:

Please don't support the dismantling of net neutrality

Don't blame me. Blame the Russians. They're the ones who made it necessary.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Don't blame me. Blame the Russians. They're the ones who made it necessary.

delet this

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Conch Shell Corp posted:

ok 3 articles dating back 5 years thanks for proving my point?

Did you seriously expect me to exhaustively google every mention of aipac? I just provided a few off the cuff examples. You can google things yourself too y'know.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
This was an ad I saw on FB earlier in the week. Is it Russian? Is this the sophistication we're dealing with? LOL

http://istorybucket.com/kid-donates-3-to-president-trump-and-look-what-he-receives-after-nine-months/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

scary foreigners are influencing the US elections! -smarmy british 'comedian' on late night show

The part people care about is the one where the guy who won had people working with the ones who were committing crimes

Or do you think Watergate was similarly overblown

Did you forget that hacking is illegal

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

All Nations, each with their own Great Firewalls.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Lemming posted:

The part people care about is the one where the guy who won had people working with the ones who were committing crimes

Or do you think Watergate was similarly overblown

Did you forget that hacking is illegal

but the democrats did a crime therefore our country belongs to putin now, or whoever is white and hates gays enough

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Have Blue posted:

Did you seriously expect me to exhaustively google every mention of aipac? I just provided a few off the cuff examples. You can google things yourself too y'know.

the point is that no one in the last year gives an absolute gently caress about any interference except the "scary russian haxxor" narrative which just proves its disingenuous as gently caress.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Conch Shell Corp posted:

the point is that no one in the last year gives an absolute gently caress about any interference except the "scary russian haxxor" narrative which just proves its disingenuous as gently caress.

The russian interference was the most direct and blatant though? It makes sense that it would dominate coverage.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Also the method in which it was carried out was incredibly improper.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

Actually the last time a president had worked with criminals to attack a political adversary and tried to cover it up people cared very much

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Conch Shell Corp posted:

except for the LF regulars who got obsessed with killing hope etc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Russia spends the price of a single house on internet advertising, USA collapses into near civil war and endless excuse making.
Hmmm.

:thunk:

If I was trying to sell a Thing on the internet I'd be desperately trying to recruit whoever made those ads because they are basically the best marketing genius of all time.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Have Blue posted:

The russian interference was the most direct and blatant though? It makes sense that it would dominate coverage.

i can't tell if you're trolling or if this is a genuine position based on years of partisan bickering

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

new phone who dis posted:

Yeah, Trump and Romney got similar numbers of votes. It was 100% a Dem collapse due to hubris. Some of that hubris manifested in the more grating woke poo poo, but it was primarily the Clinton hubris that sealed the deal.

That’s what I mean about Her Turn and Right Side of History being expressions of the same attitude. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s almost like they believe in their own inevitability so much that they’re insulted when asked to make their case.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s what I mean about Her Turn and Right Side of History being expressions of the same attitude. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s almost like they believe in their own inevitability so much that they’re insulted when asked to make their case.

They're angry you can't see they are correct instantly because they are the righteous followers of the Chosen One.

Basically it's religious fervor.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

new phone who dis posted:

Yeah, Trump and Romney got similar numbers of votes. It was 100% a Dem collapse due to hubris. Some of that hubris manifested in the more grating woke poo poo, but it was primarily the Clinton hubris that sealed the deal.

Nah it turns out Trump got a few million more because Republicans got real hard about how racist he is lmao

(the initial results are old)

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Conch Shell Corp posted:

i can't tell if you're trolling or if this is a genuine position based on years of partisan bickering

lol "partisan bickering". I'm not a dem and would never vote for Hillary. If you care to look at the facts and Russia's extensive history of election meddling it becomes incredibly obvious that they were active in the us during the 2016 general.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Have Blue posted:

lol "partisan bickering". I'm not a dem and would never vote for Hillary. If you care to look at the facts and Russia's extensive history of election meddling it becomes incredibly obvious that they were active in the us during the 2016 general.

and so? they're a rival power to the united states. they were probably active in 2012 2008 2004 2000 1996 1992 etc.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Conch Shell Corp posted:

and so? they're a rival power to the united states. they were probably active in 2012 2008 2004 2000 1996 1992 etc.

and this time they went the extra step with targeted ad buys and contact with the Trump campaign, hence the whole big hullabaloo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
*tearfully* can't you see that all this bickering is tearing us apart???

• Locked thread