Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

to actually ask a more thread relevant question that ties that in, try to edumacate myself more

to you folks who are trans or participate in the community, would you consider a case like mine (where i'm definitely straight and 99.x% sure cisgendered male but think body hair is really disgusting) a gender... i was gonna say dysphoric but that's too strong a word... thing? 'cos in my mind that stops at pure personal grooming preference but now I'm sort of curious where the definition lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

to actually ask a more thread relevant question that ties that in, try to edumacate myself more

to you folks who are trans or participate in the community, would you consider a case like mine (where i'm definitely straight and 99.x% sure cisgendered male but think body hair is really disgusting) a gender... i was gonna say dysphoric but that's too strong a word... thing? 'cos in my mind that stops at pure personal grooming preference but now I'm sort of curious where the definition lies

I'd call it a grooming preference probably. Plenty of men don't like having body hair. Only you can really know if it's actually linked to a distress at your physical gender vs just thinking hair is gross, but if I let a guy who had lasered all his hair off I'd just assume he was a lazy manscaper rather than gender queer.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

got me on the lazy part so yep that'll do :v: but thanks for clarifying. it doesn't cause me stress, it's just narsty.

(edit) you're a fellow software dev iirc so you'll understand this: my creed is to be less lazy now so i can be way more lazy later

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 12, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

got me on the lazy part so yep that'll do :v: but thanks for clarifying. it doesn't cause me stress, it's just narsty.

Ya, that sounds like several guys who come into the electrolysis place I go to. You're better than that though since you've never complained that there are transgender people here.

One time I was joking around with my electrologist about how she is basically doing ball torture and this guy heard it through the curtain and complained to his electrologist about it. He didn't realize she is also trans and she kicked him out and put him on a locally shared blacklist so no clinic will see him. Hair removal clinics generally try to be safe trans spaces because we're reliable long term customers and we're guaranteed to see treatment through to the end.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah the tria instructions and internet advice seem to vary between waiting one week and waiting two, so I'm just checking if I have to shave every weekend and if I do, lasering afterward (my body hair is mostly slow to grow, except for my pectorals--grossssss)

That said I just use an electric body groomer so it's not the closest shave in the world, I should probably just get a buncha disposable bics or something, but I'm not sure that matters for lasers anyway as long as it's short enough for energy to reach the follicle

(e) Though i do have to admit that after about half an hour it's like the lasering never happened as far as skin irritation goes so maybe I should harden up and use a higher setting and stop flinching, idk

so essentially what they expect you to be doing is that you won't turn the power up all the way and you won't have methodically gone over the treatment area quite closely enough.

as such, going over it more frequently then you'd do with a full power laser at a facility where the techs can ensure they treat the whole area makes sense, it is much more likely that you'll clear out each growth cycle as it's available to be treated, and after all you aren't paying per session so it doesn't matter that you're making the tradeoff to do treatment more frequently.

and even if you do always use full power and do it very carefully, it's not like it's going to ruin or hurt anything if you go over areas "too often", so it makes sense to just adjust the instructions to attempt to cover typical use.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
what do trans men do to solve the opposite problem? i.e., what can someone do to grow a shitload of body hair?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doesn't testosterone do that?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

possibly! but i don't know this for sure. there seems to be a lot of variation in body hair among cis men. i'm not sure whether it just comes down to T-levels.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spankmeister posted:

Yes. Trans men literally just take testosterone and start winning basically. The complexity of treatment for trans women is specifically because testosterone is such potent poo poo that you have to fight the effects a million different ways.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Helianthus Annuus posted:

possibly! but i don't know this for sure. there seems to be a lot of variation in body hair among cis men. i'm not sure whether it just comes down to T-levels.

It comes down to how much their body converts T into DHT and how sensitive they are to DHT basically. DHT also drives male pattern baldness. Which is to say it's basically down to genetics and you'll see similar variation among trans guys as with cis guys.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i'm a very hairy cis man and my advice is to just not shave, I Guess. i know that stuff like using moisturizer is supposed to help the hair you have but i've never actually seen (or needed tbh) anything about how to get more bodyhair

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
same

you always see body hair and baldness framed as problems to be fixed. (to be clear, it doesn't bother me at all what people have to say about it ITT.)

but i'd love to meet someone who has the complete opposite attitude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
are there trans men who specifically aim to achieve male-pattern baldness?

it's distinctively male, sure, but i wouldn't say it's all that desirable

like "oh man i really wish i had balls and also that when i get old they dangle down between my thighs"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

are there trans men who specifically aim to achieve male-pattern baldness?

it's distinctively male, sure, but i wouldn't say it's all that desirable

like "oh man i really wish i had balls and also that when i get old they dangle down between my thighs"

You're very confused if you think gender identity dysphoria is about trying to be desirable to some social standard. We all have our own self image to try to live up to. For some people being bald is probably the most comfortable thing for them, and matched their self image perfectly.

And far as your last flippant remark, yes it is the goal of most people to age like people of their gender, and to have genitals that make them comfortable and look and feel natural. Please try to be more sensitive, that post isn't as funny as you think it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
I apologize. yes, obviously aging in the manner expected of one's gender, to the extent that the person wants to, is the goal.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I think not aging or aging as slowly as is possible is the real goal.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

seriously, awesome cyborg bodies when, it's 2018 ffs

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I'd prefer replaceable biological components, myself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://twitter.com/AGhostlerer/status/962823123782586369

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Sagebrush pmd me and made clear he saw the error of his ways. He is forgiven.

I'll take this opportunity to remind straight/cis people itt that you should think before you joke. Ask yourself "who is the target of this joke? Does it trivialize the experience of queer people in some way?".

Realize that you're going to see queer people joking about topics you shouldn't touch, because they are speaking from experience whereas you are a guest.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol. Typical male to think women want bionic piston dicks and not humans who listen to and respect them. It's like the sex doll version of "well, if I got catcalled by women I'd like it".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Piston dicks AND programmed to respect you. :O

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Piston dicks AND programmed to respect you. :O

OMG now we can finally start the matriarchy!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

Lol. Typical male to think women want bionic piston dicks and not humans who listen to and respect them.
buddy they want both, and some clitoral attention because JFC it ain’t rocket science so get it together.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

my now-sister came out to the family in a group text yesterday (none of us knew, though i had some idea). had a pretty stressful time waiting for my parents to figure out what to say in response, but in the end i think they're down with the whole concept. she explicitly said not to out her to any extended family members, so it's going to be pretty lovely having to deliberately misgender her each thanksgiving at my Ayn Rand-loving Fox News-watching grandparents house.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CommunistPancake posted:

my now-sister came out to the family in a group text yesterday (none of us knew, though i had some idea). had a pretty stressful time waiting for my parents to figure out what to say in response, but in the end i think they're down with the whole concept. she explicitly said not to out her to any extended family members, so it's going to be pretty lovely having to deliberately misgender her each thanksgiving at my Ayn Rand-loving Fox News-watching grandparents house.

i think coördinating your own parallel thanksgiving celebration with real friends and no white nationalist family members would be a good thing to do for her

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CommunistPancake posted:

there is no way to get around the name thing but if you absolutely have to go maybe using gender-neutral pronouns could go a long way to easing her stress? using things like "where are they at?" instead of the "where is she?" you want to use usually goes right over the head of other people.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Helianthus Annuus posted:

but i'd love to meet someone who has the complete opposite attitude.

Hi there! Welcome to the bear community, where body hair is valorized. I don't have hardly any myself, just because I'm made that way, but I sure like it on other guys.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0AbrbD00pg

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

100% accurate

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

there is no way to get around the name thing but if you absolutely have to go maybe using gender-neutral pronouns could go a long way to easing her stress? using things like "where are they at?" instead of the "where is she?" you want to use usually goes right over the head of other people.

or just discuss it with her beforehand in depth and do what she wants you to do so you don't put her on the spot in unexpected ways :shrug:

im real fuckin' glad that we haven't seen my gun totin' trump-lovin' uncle's family since my wife started transitioning cuz he'd almost definitely make some interesting remarks about how she's suddenly visibly a cute girl

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

meanwhile my nearly-90 year old grandma dgaf and just thinks it's nice that i got married, thanks grandma :3:

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

ultravoices posted:

100% accurate

the bear puns (and also the fact that people take subcultural norms seriously) are the worst

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ate all the Oreos posted:

meanwhile my nearly-90 year old grandma dgaf and just thinks it's nice that i got married, thanks grandma :3:
Old people who DGAF are the best. When my brother came out our grams was the loving sweetest about it.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

worst part of spiro is dehydration. and then I get dehydrated and lazy and groggy and too tired to go get water 👌

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

talking to surgery friend directly for the first time since the surgery (previously was talking to her husband). congratulated her on the new orifice, asked if everything's going good. recovery sucks and they put her on a bunch of medications that made her real sick but she had a positive spin of "well at least i now have a definite point i can say was the worst day of my life so now it's all uphill from here!" :3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ate all the Oreos posted:

or just discuss it with her beforehand in depth and do what she wants you to do so you don't put her on the spot in unexpected ways :shrug:

oh yeah definitely, that "you" was meant as the whole family, including the sister. she definitely should be in charge and get absolute veto power over any plans, including going in the first place. sorry that I didn't make it clear

thanksgiving is a long way off though, perhaps it is best not to worry about that for a while.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
You ever have a day where you just really need some external validation, but then get all squirrely because you can't ask for it, because then it doesn't count and so you just sort of exist and hope someone just randomly says "hey, you're a good person, and do good things"?

...Just me?

Edit: just to note, I've got some good internal validation going, I just wanna hear someone else say it

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh, you're definitely not alone there, friend.

Do you have a pet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
No :(

I'd like to get a cat, but I really don't think it'd be a good idea for the cat.