Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Everyone has their tastes.

I like RTSes, but I'm absolutely awful at them.

...I wonder if there's thread material there: Games you like, but suck at.

All Mega Man and Castlevania games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Literally everyone: Fortnite

Whether or not you like it, you suck at it.

Unless your 7 then your a god

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Games you like, but suck at.

All of them

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fighting games. The last time I was able to play one with any degree of skill was Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Definitely Fighting games for me. The only fighting game where I have a level of skill is Super Smash Bros.

RTSes too. I loved Warcraft III despite sucking so badly at it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

Definitely Fighting games for me. The only fighting game where I have a level of skill is Super Smash Bros.
Same! I think they're cool as poo poo and every few years I try and buy a new cool looking one like whatever BlazBlue has the longest subtitle but I inevitably play it like twice because it's boring by myself, my friends don't like traditional fighters (they also only smash), and I do not care enough about them to bother trying to get good enough to play online so they go right back onto the shelf for life.

This also goes for action-heavy games like your Bayonettas or Devil May Crys, I do not want to learn how to combo so I either Bronze Medal my way through the game or get stuck or lose interest way early.

Resident Evil 4 is probably the best example of this for me though. I'm the type to panic and miss and either die in the first village or end it by time out with no ammo remaining. I love the gameplay and the atmosphere and stuff but I am dogshit at it so I just downloaded a save file and tommy gunned my way to the end.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love the idea of racing games but I'm not really good at them. I like to think I love 4x games like Civ, but again I'm terrible at them. Shooters are also really not my thing, despite how much I can enjoy a game like Splatoon.

I think it's got something to do with either reflexes or actual thought that gets me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Quoting this so I can find it when I’m not on my phone

Co-workers of mine told me they watch videos/listen to things as they correct papers, so I've been trying it out with this. It's not easy and certainly not productive, but I've enjoyed the reviews. It made 20XX seem interesting (I never played Mega Man so I don't really feel nostalgia there), but it really made me want to try out Blossom Tales. Golf Story looks quaint but I just don't like that sport. Should've been tennis.

All told I like this guy though. Good reviewer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll always recommend Splatoon 2 to people who don't like or are not good at shooters. Whats makes Splatoon 2 stand out is that winning is not at all based on kill/death ratios (stats aren't even recorded or shown), and the matches are only like 3 minutes long. This eliminates the issues of modern day online shooters where you get constantly stomped and have to suffer for up to 15 minutes.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Splatoon 1 agreed. Splatoon 2 is so rushdown CoD focused, I don't think the turf war rules matter much anymore.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

whaley posted:

This article by Tim Rogers is what I think of when I hear his name https://kotaku.com/5843886/i-got-my-fashion-sense-from-video-games-and-you-can-too

I read this whole thing in Patrick Bateman’s voice

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same! I think they're cool as poo poo and every few years I try and buy a new cool looking one like whatever BlazBlue has the longest subtitle but I inevitably play it like twice because it's boring by myself, my friends don't like traditional fighters (they also only smash), and I do not care enough about them to bother trying to get good enough to play online so they go right back onto the shelf for life.

This also goes for action-heavy games like your Bayonettas or Devil May Crys, I do not want to learn how to combo so I either Bronze Medal my way through the game or get stuck or lose interest way early.

Resident Evil 4 is probably the best example of this for me though. I'm the type to panic and miss and either die in the first village or end it by time out with no ammo remaining. I love the gameplay and the atmosphere and stuff but I am dogshit at it so I just downloaded a save file and tommy gunned my way to the end.

I'm in the same boat with fighting games. I'd really like to get into them but without anyone to practice against IRL it's just not that fun.

I'm ok at Bayo/DMC though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 7, 2018

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

XBC2 is great I have like 230 hours in it and haven’t done NG+ or Torna yet. They’ve patched out a lot of the little annoying things which I somehow suffered through for my first play through and made it a much better game. Would recommend.

Every time I think I'm going to power through and finish it I end up in a zone having to sneak by some mob that two shots me and then do that like 3 times and then give up again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

empathe posted:

Every time I think I'm going to power through and finish it I end up in a zone having to sneak by some mob that two shots me and then do that like 3 times and then give up again.

You can turn enemy aggression off

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can turn enemy aggression off

What... LOL. Ok time to reinstall.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Non-Smash fighting games for me too

I haven't been competent at a fighting game since SF2/MK2 because it just takes a lot of commitment and its no fun for me if I don't have a stable of local opponents

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Andrast posted:

I'm in the same boat with fighting games. I'd really like to get into them but without anyone to practice against IRL it's just not that fun.

I'm ok at Bayo/DMC though.

I'm also the same with fighting games, but I still keep buying them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m like that too with non-Smash fighting games but I really love DBFZ and want to get decent at it. Anyone have any good suggestions for beginners? I’m going through the tutorials and story mode.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

I'm also the same with fighting games, but I still keep buying them.

QFT

All the games none of the skill

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m like that too with non-Smash fighting games but I really love DBFZ and want to get decent at it. Anyone have any good suggestions for beginners? I’m going through the tutorials and story mode.

Go to the fighting game thread. Before you go keep 2 things in mind

1) The only way to really get better is to play other humans
2) You will lose a lot. A ton. For a long time. If the very long time investment of mastering a game where all the failures are entirely your fault doesnt appeal just bail out now enjoy story mode and watch some tournaments

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

game called the Messenger which I (carefully) know little about keeps popping up on my radar, and I just noticed it's on switch. good game? any should-knows up front?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

game called the Messenger which I (carefully) know little about keeps popping up on my radar, and I just noticed it's on switch. good game? any should-knows up front?

Its a mess, and regardless of if the mess appeals to you everyone agrees that about 1/4 to 1/3 of the game right after the midpoint is bad.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you like the gameplay and don't mind backtracking you can have a lot of fun with it. There are some cool moments that are better not spoiled that change the gameplay up

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

it's fine but if you wait another day or two you can get Mark of the Ninja which is the superior ninja game, probably the greatest ninja game ever created

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

I'm going to spoiler this, but it's a major gameplay feature that you should know about before you decide to buy it in my opinion: it becomes a metroidvania after 5 or 6 hours of being a straightforward action platformer. It seems like people generally like either the platformer or the metroidvania piece and think the other sucks.

It's not a masterpiece or anything but I enjoyed it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got it, thanks. Backlog is still extremely full so I’ll pass on that one for now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
BOTW is gradually growing on me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Turns out that was the right call because I just got MM11 from a friend in the mail :rock: Been a very long time since I've played a Mega Man game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

punk rebel ecks posted:

BOTW is gradually growing on me.

It's a good game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

omg I forgot I bought kirby star allies at some point

uh which do i play first, mm11 or kirb

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

omg I forgot I bought kirby star allies at some point

uh which do i play first, mm11 or kirb

Do you have friends/family for multiplayer? If yes, play Kirb.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hey Nintendo guess what? I hear you are planning a new Switch already not even two years after the first.

That bothers me greatly. I am a big Nintendo fan and I have bought all of your products first day. Whenever amiibos were announced I was the first one on them. I went to Walmart early in the morning to get one of the first Wii U in America (I have a certificate of authenticity). I preordered the Switch when ot first announced and still to this day a proud Switch owner.

Now 2 years later and with a child on the way you announce a new Switch? I don't know what the price is but I can assure you with a child on the way money is going to be tight.

Is this what is to be expected now? Should I wait an additional two years for another Switch? Nintendo for the first time I am dissapointed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a.lo posted:

Hey Nintendo guess what? I hear you are planning a new Switch already not even two years after the first.

That bothers me greatly. I am a big Nintendo fan and I have bought all of your products first day. Whenever amiibos were announced I was the first one on them. I went to Walmart early in the morning to get one of the first Wii U in America (I have a certificate of authenticity). I preordered the Switch when ot first announced and still to this day a proud Switch owner.

Now 2 years later and with a child on the way you announce a new Switch? I don't know what the price is but I can assure you with a child on the way money is going to be tight.

Is this what is to be expected now? Should I wait an additional two years for another Switch? Nintendo for the first time I am dissapointed.

________________/

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

a.lo posted:

Sir this is a McDonald's drive through

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

a.lo posted:

source your quotes

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

a.lo posted:

Source your quotes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously though there was a newspaper article about nintendo doing some nebulous thing and "Nintendo is already working on the next thing" is trivially true because it is always true. They were working on whatever comes after Switch before Switch came out. You can never get ahead with this kind of thinking.

:orb:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

a.lo posted:

Maybe if everyone copy & pastes this we'll all get ambassador certificates like we did with the 3DS!

No GBA games or anything, just the certificate.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Bloop posted:

________________/

Two years (technically over two years) is completely normal for a revision.

I would understand if they were launching an entire new console, but it's just a revision, which is VERY common for handhelds. Your Switch will still work fine, and even if the new revision is a dramatic upgrade (e.g. OLED screen, 2 extra hours of battery life, a little extra horsepower) you can just sell your old Switch and buy a new one while only losing out on like $60.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
:ssh: i dont think that poster is being sincere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

asecondduck posted:

:ssh: i dont think that poster is being sincere

What gave it away, saying this was the first time they’d been disappointed in Nintendo?