Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah the show. The show only watchers seem to be expecting much more than the books even reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Honestly I expected more of an explanation pretty much until I got solidly into Leviathan Falls. I still liked the ending though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was surprised how much Leviathan Falls explained, I expected less.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Nail Rat posted:

The latest funny theory posted in that thread is that there was ever a chance for a Marco redemption arc, and that "it could still happen." Spoilers notwithstanding, :psyduck:

Yeah and maybe the Night King would roll up to Bran and say "we just wanted to talk bro"

They've already taken on one mass murderer who tried to kill them as crew.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ok I just got through book 9 and honestly think they could cram all of Laconia into two movies or one miniseries.

That said, I really hope they at least moved up Peaches or Bobbie's deaths to this season so that SOMETHING loving climactic can happen in the end of the show.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

I was surprised how much Leviathan Falls explained, I expected less.

It was just right imo

No ancient jellyfish popping out of cryosleep or whatever to do an exposition dump like you'd see in halo or mass effect. Just a very vague description of them and their civilization along with an abstract discussion on the extradimensional threat as well.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The main thing that bothered me was not giving either alien an 'official' name. The fan terminology is split between goths/dark gods/extra-dimensional beings or something. Similar with the proto builders.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Just wrapped up Leviathan Falls, so spoilers for that, but assuming they do go on to do something with the final three books how on earth could they even do all the ring space hive mind stuff? Most of the Laconia arc is just Star Wars and would make for a really good couple movies, but I'm imagining the look on the directors face when the story beats they're told they have to hit are 'the universe opens up and reality breaks down and everyone is everyone'. Da gently caress is a director supposed to do with that!?

quote:

That said, I really hope they at least moved up Peaches or Bobbie's deaths to this season so that SOMETHING loving climactic can happen in the end of the show.

My money is on Drummer. It's not like book Drummer is an important character, and they've introduced Pa now and made a big thing about setting her up as someone who doesn't really hate the Inners, so I'm guessing she still ends up running the Transport Union. It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't think Pa ever went all full 'come at me bro' to Marco like show Drummer did? I'm guessing that's to setup Marco chasing her and being tricked into going Dutchman.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
On the show, I wish they'd trained Prax to be a pilot. He's the best and I love him.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Pastamania posted:

My money is on Drummer. It's not like book Drummer is an important character, and they've introduced Pa now and made a big thing about setting her up as someone who doesn't really hate the Inners, so I'm guessing she still ends up running the Transport Union. It's been a while since I read the books, but I don't think Pa ever went all full 'come at me bro' to Marco like show Drummer did? I'm guessing that's to setup Marco chasing her and being tricked into going Dutchman.

Nah, Drummer is going to become the head of the Union. In the books, Pa was considered the right choice because she was someone Belters genuinely liked AND she had no love for the Inners. That last point cannot be stressed enough. Avasarala wanted Holden to become the next Fred Johnson, but he realized that the Belt would never truly align with someone with connections to Earth. Book Pa was happy to rob Earthers and never showed any love for the Inners, which is why she was able to be trusted by Belters.

Show Drummer is essentially that role. She is someone that works with Inners, but sneers at the Inner way of life and any Belter that wants it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I'm enjoying this season way more than I did the underlying book.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Show Holden in the latest keeps saying the ships disappearing into the rings is 'connected to the device we found on Ilus'. What is he talking about?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think he's referencing the Goth's "bullet" that killed the protomolocule on Ilus. The one that Elvi fell through.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
He's saying it's all part of the same species. Without being genre savvy, there is no way to connect the Ring disappearances to the artifact on Ilus. Holden is saying that he believes the two are connected based on his and Elvi's experiences.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm feeling like Filip isn't making it out of the tv show.

\/\/ In terms of character arc yes, but they're setting up a race against time to get to the gate, which implies that Marco's ship isn't going to stop anywhere before getting there (unless they want to buy some time to tread water in the finale).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 7, 2022

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Really? He seems directly headed for his book plot to me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a podcast that does a deep dive spoiler discussion about the book series? I’m sad that this is the last season and I don’t feel like/have time to read the books but I wanna know what happens and stuff.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

So like a medium dive?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a podcast that does a deep dive spoiler discussion about the book series? I’m sad that this is the last season and I don’t feel like/have time to read the books but I wanna know what happens and stuff.

There's the wiki?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jakabite posted:

There's the wiki?

I don't think the wiki has the last book's plot on there yet

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
A guy on Reddit did a really great multi-post synopsis of Leviathan Falls.

But er, if you want a podcast for the plot of the books...I'd probably recommend the audiobooks? :unsmith:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone posted the conclusion of the book series in the other thread. Considering they set up all this strange dog thing, I'd figure the last scene in season 6 will be just that, Amos.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

VagueRant posted:

A guy on Reddit did a really great multi-post synopsis of Leviathan Falls.

But er, if you want a podcast for the plot of the books...I'd probably recommend the audiobooks? :unsmith:

Got the link?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Really loving the theories in the other thread about Filip killing Marco. I hope the Dutchman is as anti climactic as possible lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Dutchman at the end of season 5 did look super good though.

I honestly forgot about all the rail guns on the ring station. Doesn't Bobbie take them out in book six?

I'm looking forward to Thursday but I feel like they're got at least two more episodes worth of insanity in them, not one. Ah well, it's been a fun ride.

I'm sad I won't get to see a void city.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

External Organs posted:

I honestly forgot about all the rail guns on the ring station. Doesn't Bobbie take them out in book six?

Yeah and the preview for Friday is her landing on the station in her Goliath armor. So we'll get to see that along with the massive junk battle.

quote:

I'm looking forward to Thursday but I feel like they're got at least two more episodes worth of insanity in them, not one. Ah well, it's been a fun ride.

The good thing is at least it's 67 mins instead of 45ish for this last one.

quote:

I'm sad I won't get to see a void city.

I'm still holding out hope for that Laconia film series!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I still think they can pull it off in just one film.

I wonder how they're gonna end off season 6. Will we get the 30 years later flash forward with Laconian ships finally surfacing? Will it just conclude with a relative peace in Sol system and Drummer becoming de facto trade union president of the belt?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I would like to see one of the Laconian ships operational so I hope we do get that flash forward for the last scene of the series.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got the link?
Sure, if only in the hopes this dude gets some upvotes (there were a few details I missed or got confused about in the audibook and this helped me get them straightened out!):
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse...web2x&context=3

Does require

Nail Rat posted:

Really loving the theories in the other thread about Filip killing Marco. I hope the Dutchman is as anti climactic as possible lol
This is still a possibility (Have the antagonist solved with the personal relationship, have the navy solved with the dutchman.), would be a pretty big change though.

Either way he can jet off and Naomi can believe he's dead.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

acumen posted:

It'd have to be a long one at least. Here's what it has to cover:

-Freeport intro is important because it shows things had settled into a sense of normalcy.
-Laconian Navy Kramering into the Ringspace and taking over Medina, then wrecking the poo poo out of Sol.
-The Underground busting the Roci and the Storm out. Clarissa sacrifices herself (may or may not happen on screen)? Freeport becomes the main haven of the Underground.
-Holden being captive on Laconia. Either Avasarala's funeral, or she is shown with Drummer as trying to work against the Empire somehow.
-Teresa and her friendship with "Timmy." The dogs being pissed that Amos won't let them fix his tools
-Stuff with the Protomolecule kids (who would probably need to be recast if they don't film this like soon)
-Cortezar being a mad scientist with the Pen and Duarte becoming an insane god emperor.
-Elvi investigating the giant diamond.
-Ringspace boiled, Medina gone
-Battle of Laconia, Bobbie sacrifices herself to deliver antimatter and nuke a Magnetar.
-Amos is killed and dogged and comes back
-Laws of physics being hosed with as the old gods try to figure out how to kill humanity
(spoilers for Leviathan's Fall)

-Tanaka being a crazy person and chasing them
-God emperor Duarte comes back and tries to mindfuck everyone
-Miller returns
-Holden does a Holden, rings collapse
-Amos is the last man standing

Honestly I think you'd need a ten episode season to do this justice so either a trilogy or a pair of long movies sounds about right.

Think about how little they're really accomplishing in about 300 mins total this season (counting the X rays) and you really think they could do all this or even enough of it in one movie? It would be exhaustingly paced

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 11, 2022

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Becoming aware of his brainwashing and having to deal with his complicity in the murder of billions would be undercut by yet another murder - albeit deserved. It's a little different in the show since he's been aged up (late teens/early 20s instead of like 15-16 in the books) but it's still a major character assassination imo and not in line with the writers' apparent views on violence

E: wrt movie - a lot of that can be cut and end up with the same result. You could practically eliminate the entire resistance and capture aspect and just have the Laconia vs Sol conflict in the background as Holden and Proto-Duarte deal with Medina. Bobbie and Tanaka have a bunch of overlap too. I dunno I'm not a writer or anything but if the production and cast are given the barest minimum of a revival with only one film, I can see it being possible.

acumen fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 11, 2022

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cut Tanaka out, have Bobbie switch sides. Tanaka fuckin sucks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

External Organs posted:

What the gently caress

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

External Organs posted:

I mean I'd be up for cutting Tanaka but you need something to give a sense of urgency for that final act besides weird laws of physics changes. Don't have Bobbie fight for Laconia though what the gently caress

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I can see Bobbie being convinced by Duarte that the ring gate monsters are an existential threat that demands her skills. Could be a tenuous thing - think Elvi in the last three books. She's definitely working for Laconia, but not a true believer.

I'm not necessarily saying that she'd be a one to one version of Tanaka, because most of her poo poo is just awful.

I dunno, maybe it's a terrible idea...

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

You could take the high points of the last three books and condense them into a satisfying three hour movie, but it would be a very different story.

You could cut out the whole living like rats in the walls building alliances part, have Holden be the one that "turns" Clarissa, make Bobbie's special delivery sacrifice be the thing that clears the way for Holden to merge with the orb, and remove Tanaka.

Amos can still get dogged if you want, but have it be during a covert mission to rescue Holden.

I can see it working, just not terribly well.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Gangringo posted:

I can see it working, just not terribly well.

I guess this is what I'm saying. If they need 300 minutes to tell this seasons story really you need more minutes for a satisfying Laconia arc.

Hell they're going to end up spending almost 30 minutes on Strange Dogs.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

acumen posted:

I wonder how they're gonna end off season 6. Will we get the 30 years later flash forward with Laconian ships finally surfacing? Will it just conclude with a relative peace in Sol system and Drummer becoming de facto trade union president of the belt?

Was talking to a friend of mine about this just today, and the overarching plot of 7/8/9 would be pretty doable. Don't even really need a massive flash forward.

Act 1: Ditch almost the entirety of Book 7. Roci crew is waxing about peace for X years after the recovery of Earth, and are coming back from whatever run to their home base of Medina Station, run by Drummer. The Typhoon and Storm come through the gate and quickly take over Medina. The Typhoon vaporizes the railguns, leaves the Storm behind, and heads to Sol. While the Typhoon fucks off to Sol, you have the crew break out of Medina. Holden gets captured doing a diversion to get Bobbie's team to the Storm, and Peaches sacrifices herself to get the crew to the Roci. Ships flee the ring space. Cut to the Typhoon battling the combined Earth-Mars fleet. They use the weapon, and the lost time event happens outside the ring space. Instead of the "I can see molecules man" thing, Holden flashes to his out of body experience and gets a Gods Eye view of the ring space, where time has Stopped, and the Dark Gods eat everything except the ring station. We see Drummer get eaten.

Act 2: Ditch Holden political intrigue and Duarte's fugue state. Holden is taken to Laconia and gets interrogated directly by Duarte, with Teresa watching. He can tell Duarte infected himself, and Duarte asks him questions about Julie and Miller and how they controlled Eros, referencing the dark gods eating ships and now the ring space, and lets slip that he's going to infect Teresa too, so they can hold back the Dark Gods as father and daughter. Holden tries to convince Duarte that he's going to end up wiping out humanity by pissing them off, and Teresa believes Holden. Roci and the Storm show up to rescue him, and Amos gets capped in the action. Bobbie uses the Storm to suicide bomb the Whirlwind with antimatter, which shuts off time again. She lives (sorry). While everyone is out, Amos gets resurrected by the dogs, and they take back off when they come to. Teresa tags along because she doesn't want to be a science experiment. Amos and Holden both say they need to go find Elvi, and they pick up Bobbie on the way out.

Act break: We find Elvi using a protomolecule sample with Cara and Xan doing dives into the BFD. She technobabbles about the gate builders. Amos goes on a dive, confronts Duarte, and gets his rear end mentally kicked. The fight awakens the Dark Gods, who try to start eating the ring space again. Duarte shouts NO, the eaten ships reform, then appears to all of the crew at once and technobabbles about how he's been watching Cara/Xan's dives, doesn't need Teresa anymore, and how he's wants to take that to all humanity as a hive mind to Slay God. Elvi gives them injections to stop it (same meds she uses to control the dives), and they make a plan to stop him before he gets too strong.

Act 3, Ring space. They try to get into the station but can't. Jim injects himself with the sample Elvi was using as a cablemodem for the dives and it's Millertime. Bobbie and Teresa tag along, Bobbie wanting to kill him for being a traitor and Teresa wanting to save him because it's her dad, while Naomi and Elvi setup to hold the ring space while they work. The Typhoon comes back from Sol, everything is bleak, space battle space battle pew pew pew. Bobbie sacrifices herself to take out Duarte after he attacks Teresa, and Jim inserts himself into the ring station.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 12, 2022

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It would be an amazing mind gently caress to end the series with the Epilogue from Book 9 with minimal context. If I were a non book reader I would be so hyped that IF new content came I'd be mentally trying to bridge the gap from what I was seeing to that point for the whole ride.

If new content never comes, there's the books. I think it'd be fun and a nice treat for the book readers regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The finale was good, but I would have loved a shot of the Proteus popping out of the Laconia gate at the moment the Rocinante won the ring space and then deliver the Laconia's closed message and gently caress off.