Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Back of the Bus posted:

Is that why there's a neverending supply of 2960Gs and 3750Gs saturating the Internet for like 50 bucks a pop?

nah, those are legit, they just made millions of 'em when they still knew how to make hardware that wasn't utter crap and people finally started upgrading to newer gear five or six years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

quote:

In a statement this week, Bryan Denny, special agent in charge of the US Department of Defense (DoD) Office of Inspector General, Defense Criminal Investigative Service in the Western Field Office, said that Aksoy "knowingly defrauded the Department of Defense by introducing counterfeit products into its supply chain that routinely failed or did not work at all." [...]

The DOJ hasn't further specified how the US military purchased counterfeit Cisco gear or how much fake tech it got from Aksoy. Online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay are known to have suspicious tech listings, so it would be alarming if government entities, especially military ones, were acquiring gear purchased by these means. Buyers and resellers working with government bodies also could have purchased the Pro Network Entities products directly.

the DOD OIG weasels around the issue with their "introducing counterfeit products into [our] supply chain" statement and the ars technica writer alludes to it, but presumably the DOD is not firing up the amazon.com web retail store front and ordering a $1000 "new" "cisco" switch from the amazon marketplace delivered to an F35 base

like presumably they're paying $25K to SAIC or General Dynamics or Booz Allen Hamilton or whichever huge federal IT contractor has the contract for IT services at that F35 base for that same $1K switch

and presumably the DOD OIG went to those huge federal IT contractors and asked them if they knew these were counterfeit switches and their lawyers told them to say "iunno :shrug:"

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I found out how to trigger my bug: my poo poo rear end, duct tape and twine IPv6 server setup script keeps failing because a global keeps disappearing at the end of script execution, but only if I am not logged into the terminal to watch it happen :psyduck:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you got an export in bashrc?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I found out how to trigger my bug: my poo poo rear end, duct tape and twine IPv6 server setup script keeps failing because a global keeps disappearing at the end of script execution, but only if I am not logged into the terminal to watch it happen :psyduck:

wow, quantum networking!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shugojin posted:

wow, quantum networking!

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I thought I'd lost the plot after my last post, but for real this time :siren: I can now trigger or suppress my heisenbug :siren:

It's pretty simple really. I get my /60 from Comcast, and from that pool, my router automatically distributes /64s to the various interfaces and sets up routing. The server configurator script is triggered by a successful lease from the DHCPv6 client: it checks which subnet the router assigned to the server interface, computes the correct server address*, alters the firewall rules and updates the AAAA record. This lets me self host my cat pictures, and gently caress if it isn't a huge hassle compared to classic dynDNS.

The global variable is necessary because there is no native function for detecting if that /60 has changed on lease renewal. Thus, I get to use a comparator to determine if the prefix has changed and it needs to run the script, otherwise it non ops. If the global disappears between script executions, then the configurator script runs an unnecessarily large number of times, making unnecessary updates to DNS.

The global persists (and the script operates as intended) only if I have WinBox connected and have one of two windows open: the terminal window (to query the variable), or the system script window (ditto). My theory is that there is some sort of background garbage collection that is getting interrupted if either of those windows are open. Thus my exasperation at debugging, my vexation at it's seemingly intermittent nature. Documentation is scant, with nothing on how the OS handles garbage collection.

*For example, Comcast assigned 2601:205:4301:c340::/60. What that means is that my router has 4 bits, or 16 subnets to play with when it is time to assign subnets to interfaces: 2601:205:4301:c340::/64, 2601:205:4301:c341::/64, 2601:205:4301:c342::/64, etc etc to 2601:205:4301:c34f::/64. Those are the first 64 bits of the IPv6 address. The last 64 bits can be set using tokenized IPv6 identifiers, the suffix to the /64's prefix. Say the server's IPv6 token is ::dead:beef. If the router assigned webnet's network interface 2601:205:4301:c342::/64, the final address would be 2601:205:4301:c342::dead:beef.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
if env variables aren’t cutting it thats why /var is writable

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

shackleford posted:

the DOD OIG weasels around the issue with their "introducing counterfeit products into [our] supply chain" statement and the ars technica writer alludes to it, but presumably the DOD is not firing up the amazon.com web retail store front and ordering a $1000 "new" "cisco" switch from the amazon marketplace delivered to an F35 base

like presumably they're paying $25K to SAIC or General Dynamics or Booz Allen Hamilton or whichever huge federal IT contractor has the contract for IT services at that F35 base for that same $1K switch

and presumably the DOD OIG went to those huge federal IT contractors and asked them if they knew these were counterfeit switches and their lawyers told them to say "iunno :shrug:"

Colonel Mustard, in the warehouse, with the network infra

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

once again i am astounded by how loving stupid ip geolocation is there's a million providers and i have to figure out which dipshit has decided to teleport IP addresses to another broadcasting region and make them fix it this time

why the gently caress can't ARIN just do this

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

we just pay maxmind for their database and it hasn't been inaccurate so far

at a previous company, microsoft took over some ip address space which was previously owned by iran, which was a fun experience to figure out why we were suddenly unable to connect to a bunch of things

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I thought I'd lost the plot after my last post, but for real this time :siren: I can now trigger or suppress my heisenbug :siren:

It's pretty simple really. I get my /60 from Comcast, and from that pool, my router automatically distributes /64s to the various interfaces and sets up routing. The server configurator script is triggered by a successful lease from the DHCPv6 client: it checks which subnet the router assigned to the server interface, computes the correct server address*, alters the firewall rules and updates the AAAA record. This lets me self host my cat pictures, and gently caress if it isn't a huge hassle compared to classic dynDNS.

The global variable is necessary because there is no native function for detecting if that /60 has changed on lease renewal. Thus, I get to use a comparator to determine if the prefix has changed and it needs to run the script, otherwise it non ops. If the global disappears between script executions, then the configurator script runs an unnecessarily large number of times, making unnecessary updates to DNS.

The global persists (and the script operates as intended) only if I have WinBox connected and have one of two windows open: the terminal window (to query the variable), or the system script window (ditto). My theory is that there is some sort of background garbage collection that is getting interrupted if either of those windows are open. Thus my exasperation at debugging, my vexation at it's seemingly intermittent nature. Documentation is scant, with nothing on how the OS handles garbage collection.

*For example, Comcast assigned 2601:205:4301:c340::/60. What that means is that my router has 4 bits, or 16 subnets to play with when it is time to assign subnets to interfaces: 2601:205:4301:c340::/64, 2601:205:4301:c341::/64, 2601:205:4301:c342::/64, etc etc to 2601:205:4301:c34f::/64. Those are the first 64 bits of the IPv6 address. The last 64 bits can be set using tokenized IPv6 identifiers, the suffix to the /64's prefix. Say the server's IPv6 token is ::dead:beef. If the router assigned webnet's network interface 2601:205:4301:c342::/64, the final address would be 2601:205:4301:c342::dead:beef.

since you have a web server anyway, is there a reason you don't want to have that control the updates? when I've needed to deal with mikrotik automation in the past I just used their ansible collections as it was more reliable than trying to do it on device.

anecdotal, but I have xfinity too and I have had the same ipv6 /60 prefix since 2016. i even switched hardware, but copied over the dhcpv6 duid from the old device to the new and continued to get the same prefix.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
when u get down to it, all geoip db's are manually curated
people are lazy and make mistakes
that is all

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

why all my poo poo not cleanly support acme aaag

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
how do the infra dorks of yospos discover new tech and ideas from peers outside of their own company? I'm an SRE nerd, but I've been in the same org for 7 years and I worry about our environment and my own skillset becoming stagnant. I'd like to be able to see how other SRE-style folks build and manage their cloud infrastructure and CICD environment, exchange ideas, see what tools others are using, etc

are meetups still a think in the post-covid world? do you all just attend or view conference talks? read the thoughtworks techradar? :justpost:? something else I haven't considered?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
i simply left the private sector entirely so i don't have to worry about the technological rug being pulled out from under me every 18 months

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
my old airex wallwart is finally dying and i'm going to swap it after these meetings. rip, and thanks for the decade+ of service :patriot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cidrick posted:

how do the infra dorks of yospos discover new tech and ideas from peers outside of their own company?

when our renewals come up we have to submit similar solutions from at least two other vendors (we have a history of, erm, kickbacks). my boss's boss is pretty aware of everything out there and schedules stuff for us, whether doing PoCs with a product with the vendors or doing test drives and stuff. we recently did both with purestorage and whatever horizon's becoming. p much every big product has some hands-on training you can do with them for free you just have to ask

all the local meetups are at breweries and 'get drunk before going home to the nagging wife and kids' middle aged men and i have no interest in that

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cidrick posted:

how do the infra dorks of yospos discover new tech and ideas from peers outside of their own company? I'm an SRE nerd, but I've been in the same org for 7 years and I worry about our environment and my own skillset becoming stagnant. I'd like to be able to see how other SRE-style folks build and manage their cloud infrastructure and CICD environment, exchange ideas, see what tools others are using, etc

are meetups still a think in the post-covid world? do you all just attend or view conference talks? read the thoughtworks techradar? :justpost:? something else I haven't considered?

Conferences and somethingawful lmao. Possibly getting a new job. The CICD thread is a good place and is usually much more technical than the general IT thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

when u get down to it, all geoip db's are manually curated
people are lazy and make mistakes
that is all

oh yeah once upon a time literally every ipv4 my company has got accidentally listed as proxy providers by a major provider of that and none of our customers could use hulu lmao

just also we bought a new range recently and i'm annoyed that this is something that needs to be corrected at lots of places instead of just arin who facilitates the transfer anyway

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

the RIRs should not be operating geoip databases. like when ARIN assigns 73.0.0.0/8 to comcast and asks where comcast is going to use that allocation they are going to be like "united states"

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

graph posted:

when our renewals come up we have to submit similar solutions from at least two other vendors (we have a history of, erm, kickbacks). my boss's boss is pretty aware of everything out there and schedules stuff for us, whether doing PoCs with a product with the vendors or doing test drives and stuff. we recently did both with purestorage and whatever horizon's becoming. p much every big product has some hands-on training you can do with them for free you just have to ask

this used to be the approach before I moved into my current role where all infrastructure I manage is in the cloud, so we're basically at the mercy of whatever AWS advertises/supports/blog posts about. we do have solutions architects that I suppose I could always ask, but I'm inherently distrustful of any solution that a vendor recommends when we're unofficially locked into using said vendor. but it's still better than nothing.

The Iron Rose posted:

Conferences and somethingawful lmao. Possibly getting a new job. The CICD thread is a good place and is usually much more technical than the general IT thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695559

rad, ty, I should explore outside of yospos more

I really should attend a kubecon, I have no excuse other than I'm god damned lazy

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
sorry just catching up with this thread

Shugojin posted:

once again i am astounded by how loving stupid ip geolocation is there's a million providers and i have to figure out which dipshit has decided to teleport IP addresses to another broadcasting region and make them fix it this time

why the gently caress can't ARIN just do this

they kind of influence it through the SWIP process which is factored in as part of the score/location. At least the ISP folks I know try to set the specific ranges correctly, although I've seen plenty of examples like the Comcast one ITT.

Shugojin posted:

oh yeah once upon a time literally every ipv4 my company has got accidentally listed as proxy providers by a major provider of that and none of our customers could use hulu lmao

just also we bought a new range recently and i'm annoyed that this is something that needs to be corrected at lots of places instead of just arin who facilitates the transfer anyway

also lol, I saw "range" and started reading the second part as precursor rant to "why does my LG oven and range demand to be on WiFi?".

We just got a small ARIN allocation but I'm always looking for more... do you or anyone else mind sharing what marketplaces you've had success with?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Cidrick posted:

I really should attend a kubecon, I have no excuse other than I'm god damned lazy

my excuse is that my employer refuses to pay for employees to attend conferences unless they (a) get a free pass by getting a talk accepted or (b) staff the marketing booth as the trained engineer monkey all day, where they then proceed to say "hey stop telling all the prospects all the dirty laundry" as if the same poo poo wasn't readily available in our OSS github issues

ive saved the company the cost of a kubecon ticket 5x over by shutting off the GKE test cluster my manager created and then promptly forgot about (it was doing nothing for a good year or so) but ey finance person maths

the one kubecon i did go to as (b) one of the keynote people was like "yknow we get far more accomplished here outside the actual talks than inside them; it's the time we actually interact with one another outside the usual long async mostly abandoned github issue thread hell", which i think explains why a decent number of the talks had a very (a) characteristic where basically nobody showed up to them and the presenter clearly hadnt really put much of anything together to present

yes, of course, we do spend 80x the cost of an individual attendee ticket to get our logo on a board, but making the expense 81x for professional development? oooooooh no too pricey

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I just went to NAF in Amsterdam and while it was very good overall it was interesting how the network automation space has literally not changed at all in 6+ years.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

the website for Paramount Media Networks' Nashville operations has some directories that would normally only be accessible through FTP.
these directories contain a lot of master files (After Effects projects, idents) and raw audio (unedited VO for promos)

[domain]/promos_shared
[domain]/grfx_vendor
[domain]/grfx_cmtguests
[domain]/cmtpress
[domain]/330_txcrossroads
(these are all the directories I have found for now)

foo edit: breaking your links
Jae edit: removed actual domains; placeholder in uh. in place

JAnon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 9, 2024

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:pwn:

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

sorry. thought it'd be interesting

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Cidrick posted:

how do the infra dorks of yospos discover new tech and ideas from peers outside of their own company?

here lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine