Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

I would say most actually. Gap is often advertised as covering negative equity from trade-ins(to a reasonable percent of msrp). Stories of gap covering this is fairly common while the vice versa is harder to find.

How often are you actually going to floor it? When I had a f-type r it was rare to use anywhere near the full performance of the car.

Personally I find things I will be using 99% of the time like interior quality to be much more important than the twice a week I floor the pedal. Or maybe my mindset is turning boomer now that I'm over 30. :negative:

Here are some actual policy endorsements which stipulate what coverage actually entails.

https://ecommerce.commerceinsurance..._CA20711001.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “e”.

https://www.uuinsurance.com/ShowPDF.php?number=F.34545A+%2804-17%29

https://www.nationwideprivateclient.com/libraries/sites/1/assets/import/Pdf/NWPC_CA_NewCarReplacement_GapCoverage_PP1406%2011-15.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “c”.

https://www.plymouthrock.com/public/Plymouthrock/StaticFiles/PDF/assurancepackages/assurancepremier.pdf
Excludes carryover balances - section “c”, subsection “f”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Here are some actual policy endorsements which stipulate what coverage actually entails.

https://www.nationwideprivateclient.com/libraries/sites/1/assets/import/Pdf/NWPC_CA_NewCarReplacement_GapCoverage_PP1406%2011-15.pdf

https://www.plymouthrock.com/public/Plymouthrock/StaticFiles/PDF/assurancepackages/assurancepremier.pdf

You may want to re-read the language on those. A carry-over balance is an unpaid balance on a different loan. If the money is financed as part of a new loan that has gap, the gap insurance covers the new balance. Where this comes up is during the time that your previous balance hasn't been paid off yet and you technically still have two separate loans.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TheWevel posted:

You may want to re-read the language on those. A carry-over balance is an unpaid balance on a different loan. If the money is financed as part of a new loan that has gap, the gap insurance covers the new balance. Where this comes up is during the time that your previous balance hasn't been paid off yet and you technically still have two separate loans.

A carryover balance is the remaining balance that is left after your trade-in value and is being absorbed into the new loan.

You owe $10k on the car.
Your trade-in value is $7.5k.
You are carrying over $2.5k into the new loan.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A carryover balance is the remaining balance that is left after your trade-in value and is being absorbed into the new loan.

You owe $10k on the car.
Your trade-in value is $7.5k.
You are carrying over $2.5k into the new loan.

I disagree with your interpretation. In any event, the GAP in my current lease, and in my past leases state it covers up to 125% of MSRP.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Insurance is so loving stupid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

I disagree with your interpretation. In any event, the GAP in my current lease, and in my past leases state it covers up to 125% of MSRP.

Ok, so what is carryover balance then?

The biggest thing is to read your policy, which you did. Most people don’t do that and then can get financially hosed.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The biggest thing is to read your policy, which you did. Most people don’t do that and then can get financially hosed.

In fairness, I just noticed something in your earlier post with examples:

It looks like your examples are all supplemental policies written by auto insurance providers (nothing wrong with that, just an observation). My experience has been with policies written by finance companies and/or 3rd parties, which may explain why their exclusion methodology is different.

Most purchase agreements are structured so that negative equity is embedded into the purchase price of the new vehicle. Unless you're buying your new car at MSRP and carrying significant negative equity, the GAP provider from a practical perspective will not have visibility to 'carryover balance'. Which is why most of the policies I see and deal with have a % cap.

We can agree on your last point ;)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I asked today if I could have a copy of my potential lease T&Cs and was told this is "not possible" until you've made the finance application. Very Swiss.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

These are all auto insurance gap coverage, which are generally worse and less comprehensive than auto lender gap coverage.

The way new car loans are structured there is no such thing as a "carry over balance", the car is financed at a cap cost that includes the negative equity of the trade-in. The dealer literally raises the price of the new car to cover the loss they will take buying your trade-in. Which is why gap insurance from lenders generally say things like this:

Most gap coverage from lenders cover at least 125% of msrp, which is obviously designed to pay for negative equity on trade-ins. Supplemental gap insurance from insurance companies are worse and more restrictive.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 1, 2020

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Early AM (6:00AM to 7:40AM) first drive from north San Diego County to Santa Monica to Malibu in the Niro EV. Range predicted was accurate, started at 90% charge, and got there with 37% left. Adaptive cruise set to 75mph. That and lane-keeping made it so so easy.

Right now "free charging" from 110v at the office.

I did the math and in the long run this will cost the same as using my 2000 Echo, lease payments, and all. Not bad.

(Echo: 35mpg, >$1000 a year in repairs now with 267k miles)

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 1, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

VideoGameVet posted:

Right now "free charging" from 110v at the office.

You might want to try talking your employer into installing a 208V charger, it's tax deductible!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You might want to try talking your employer into installing a 208V charger, it's tax deductible!

They don't own the building :-)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VideoGameVet posted:

They don't own the building :-)

The landlord might be interested in doing so, though!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The landlord might be interested in doing so, though!

Most of the building is vacant. We're an essential business.

Anyway, there's a ChargePoint in the apartment garage.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

These are all auto insurance gap coverage, which are generally worse and less comprehensive than auto lender gap coverage.

The way new car loans are structured there is no such thing as a "carry over balance", the car is financed at a cap cost that includes the negative equity of the trade-in. The dealer literally raises the price of the new car to cover the loss they will take buying your trade-in. Which is why gap insurance from lenders generally say things like this:

Most gap coverage from lenders cover at least 125% of msrp, which is obviously designed to pay for negative equity on trade-ins. Supplemental gap insurance from insurance companies are worse and more restrictive.

Every reference in your original post was to insurance. Notice the Audi plan does not describe itself using the word insurance. That’s because it is not an insurance product. I was speaking specifically about insurance because well, that’s what you brought up.

I would also love to see a sales breakdown sheet where they inflate the purchase price of the car by your negative equity. I’ve never seen this, because it would raise the taxable value.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Every reference in your original post was to insurance. Notice the Audi plan does not describe itself using the word insurance. That’s because it is not an insurance product. I was speaking specifically about insurance because well, that’s what you brought up.

I would also love to see a sales breakdown sheet where they inflate the purchase price of the car by your negative equity. I’ve never seen this, because it would raise the taxable value.

C'mon dude, are you really going to be this pedantic? Gap is an insurance product, regardless of the venue where it's sold.

And also, like dude before said, tax is only calculated on the capitalized amount.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 1, 2020

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Dude this is like peak pedantry. Everyone calls it gap insurance and it's the same insurance product whether you get it from a lender or auto insurance company. The only difference is the former is almost always more comprehensive.

No, I said cap cost. I have no idea why you're so invested against the idea that many people can and do get their negative equity paid off in a totalled accident. Literally every gap product from captive finance and big lender that I've seen covered negative equity from trade-ins, hence the language about covering 125% or even 150% of msrp.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 1, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

C'mon dude, are you really going to be this pedantic? Gap is an insurance product, regardless of the venue where it's sold.

And also, like dude before said, tax is only calculated on the capitalized amount.

It’s not being pedantic, it’s trying to ensure that people aren’t spreading incorrect information.

Gamesguy posted:

Dude this is like peak pedantry. Everyone calls it gap insurance and it's the same insurance product whether you get it from a lender or auto insurance company. The only difference is the former is almost always more comprehensive.

No, I said cap cost. I have no idea why you're so invested against the idea that many people can and do get their negative equity paid off in a totalled accident. Literally every gap product from captive finance and big lender that I've seen covered negative equity from trade-ins, hence the language about covering 125% or even 150% of msrp.

It’s clear that the products are actually different though considering I’ve posted actual policy language from auto insurance policies, where they specifically outline this. And you wrote insurance multiple times in your post. I’m not invested in being against an idea, I just want to ensure there isn’t misinformation being spread around.

The Allstate policy actually spells it out a bit more -they will not cover the remaining balance (negative equity) rolled over.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

bird with big dick posted:

Someone talk me into getting one of the current or near future offerings (Polestar?).

I'd be all over the Polestar (or e-tron maybe) if they had performance anywhere near the Y/Mach-e GT but they don't and that makes me sad as I'd rather not buy the Model Y because I hate the styli
It's going to be at least 9 weeks before I'm even capable of actually driving so I'm not in a real big hurry but probably more of a hurry than 9 months from now.

Volvo V60 Polestar Hybrid. Factory Ohlins and a decent pure electric range for what it is.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

It’s clear that the products are actually different
They are not, both are gap insurance products. Calling one not insurance is like saying a toyota isn't a car because it doesn't come in v8.

quote:

though considering I’ve posted actual policy language from auto insurance policies, where they specifically outline this. And you wrote insurance multiple times in your post. I’m not invested in being against an idea, I just want to ensure there isn’t misinformation being spread around.

The Allstate policy actually spells it out a bit more -they will not cover the remaining balance (negative equity) rolled over.

And literally every captive finance company spell out that their gap insurance do cover trade-in negative equity. Considering that almost every auto leasing lender includes gap insurance with the lease, it's highly probable that the most common form of gap insurance are lender policies that do cover trade in equity.

https://www.ford.com/finance/content/dam/ford64/us/pdf/vehicle-protection/gap-coverage/FMCC01294_FMCK2214000A_FRD_2017_GAPCoverage_R02_1.pdf

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So... now Skoda made an electric SUV thing, I guess it's the sister car to the ID.4 so the specs should be identical:

There's an ipad on the dashboard but otherwise looks ok. This should be self-explanatory enough. But lol at 160km/h maximum speed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

So... now Skoda made an electric SUV thing, I guess it's the sister car to the ID.4 so the specs should be identical:

There's an ipad on the dashboard but otherwise looks ok. This should be self-explanatory enough. But lol at 160km/h maximum speed.

Some odd decisions in an otherwise interesting car

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I like it. It looks more like an estate than an SUV even though it has the usual big SUV grille. It looks more like an Octavia Scout and thats a good thing.
Price is pretty competitive. Its about the same as a Opel e-Corsa or a Peugeot 208-e but for a much bigger car. Its also cheaper than an VW ID.3.
Who gives a poo poo about the top speed. If you are going faster than that in an EV your range melts away anyway so its only for bragging rights. And it makes much more sense to brag about your torque!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like it too. Top speed limiter is just a conservative rev limiter on a fixed ratio drive train.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I prefer that to the ID3 to be honest. Looks like a good EV (i.e. not a ton of gimmicks, just a car.).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

I prefer that to the ID3 to be honest. Looks like a good EV (i.e. not a ton of gimmicks, just a car.).

Yeah it's got no gimmick touch buttons on the steering wheel and actually four separate switches for four windows. C'mon VW, just put those parts in the ID.3.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep i know range goes into the shitter at higher speeds but this seems to be the minimum you see the diesel equivalent of this doing on the highways. And 500km WLTP is probably not gonna happen IRL either. But overall I agree it's not bad, it's even reasonably price competitive with other higher end Skodas

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks good to me. I wonder whether the 4x2 versions are front or rear wheel drive - most companies seem to put the bigger motor at the back in 4wd models so would make sense if it is RWD. Might give Granny a surprise when she starts drifting.

The only thing I don't like is the ipad. Having rented Skodas from time to time they've been great and the only thing that would have persuaded me to get the VW equivalent is the slightly better interior. Looks like that difference is eroding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

And 500km WLTP is probably not gonna happen IRL either.

At 80-90 kph in mild climate, I think it will. WLTP is actually good.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Looks good to me. I wonder whether the 4x2 versions are front or rear wheel drive - most companies seem to put the bigger motor at the back in 4wd models so would make sense if it is RWD. Might give Granny a surprise when she starts drifting.

The only thing I don't like is the ipad. Having rented Skodas from time to time they've been great and the only thing that would have persuaded me to get the VW equivalent is the slightly better interior. Looks like that difference is eroding.

It's RWD, VW's MEB platform has no FWD yet I think. It's a great platform.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thomas the Autogefühl guy has a review of the interior / exterior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29VYHzmqcZ4

(I think he is hilarious, presumably intentionally. but very detailed reviews)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gamesguy posted:

They are not, both are gap insurance products. Calling one not insurance is like saying a toyota isn't a car because it doesn't come in v8.

And literally every captive finance company spell out that their gap insurance do cover trade-in negative equity. Considering that almost every auto leasing lender includes gap insurance with the lease, it's highly probable that the most common form of gap insurance are lender policies that do cover trade in equity.

https://www.ford.com/finance/content/dam/ford64/us/pdf/vehicle-protection/gap-coverage/FMCC01294_FMCK2214000A_FRD_2017_GAPCoverage_R02_1.pdf

Yes, I am aware that leasing companies may cover it. Regular auto insurance clearly does not as I’ve illustrated. Your original point does not distinguish between auto insurance or any other type of products. Putting a blanket statement that insurance covers any rolled over negative equity is incorrect. If your statement was that certain products may cover rolled over negative equity, that would be fine, but the issue is that you simply lumped all products together and said they’ll cover the entire balance in the event of a total loss. This is not accurate.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The top speed limit may well be an intentional market differentiator to allow a lower price without it undercutting with some customers. Normal people can get the Skoda with 0 loss of functionality, people who like big numbers can pay more for the VW.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

The top speed limit may well be an intentional market differentiator to allow a lower price without it undercutting with some customers. Normal people can get the Skoda with 0 loss of functionality, people who like big numbers can pay more for the VW.

Same limit on the top model ID3 as well, in the German domestic market.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The insurance offtopic has gone on for long enough and is going around in circles - No more please. Especially when we have a shiny new EV to pour over

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Here's the options list in Norwegian. Some of it is as expected, but still cool such as Matrix LEDs available for the second lowest trim, massage seats and glass roof. The latter is particularly nice to have that optional. I really wonder what "Sun Set with extra sound dampening" is. And the Family package is really cool actually, it includes a 230V outlet! Family package plus includes folding tables for the rear passengers.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ola posted:

Same limit on the top model ID3 as well, in the German domestic market.

There goes my theory then. Still doesn't seem to be an actual problem with the vehicle though, which looks great.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

someone should make an insurance thread so that theres a place people can never shut the gently caress up about insurance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sometimes you get pretty low max speed limits due to tires, but even H rated eco tires are good for 210km/h so I am in agreement that it's likely some kind of drivetrain and range protection scheme.

pointsofdata posted:

this is also a good point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mobby_6kl posted:

Why? Why do 99.999% of people need to go faster than 100mph/160kph?