Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Good ep, solid humanizing work for Gen Lane (helpless sobbing) and Lois avoiding facing her fears by doubling down on badassery.

Clarks dream is haunting & THoech is so adorably dorky when he's not Superman.

There's a strong cohort of Lana haters online, this ep is going to put the cat amongst the pigeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was hoping Clark's dream of Lois standing under the falling Daily Planet globe was going to be resolved this episode, but I guess its gonna be teased for the rest of the season. Also Jonathan messing around with multiple girls is pretty hosed up, but I its good that it didn't go too far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair to Jon he (foolishly) thought his ex just wanted to be friends. Although wearing the chain is definitely double dumbass territory.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Jon was surprised kisses by his ex I think? That's not on him imho. Definitely a bit lovely to wear the chain though, now its clear it isn't the friend gift he thought it was.

I like NuJon more and more

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Vietnamwees posted:

I was hoping Clark's dream of Lois standing under the falling Daily Planet globe was going to be resolved this episode, but I guess its gonna be teased for the rest of the season.

What do you mean by teased? I figured it was just a metaphor for Clark feeling helpless as Lois' world falls apart, and the resolution is that Lois must choose to help her self.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

delightful posted:

It really strains credibility that the Cancer C-plot is even a thing in a world where Superman, the Justice League, aliens, alien technology, magic, magic beings, resurrection, a serious plethora of super-geniuses, cloning, time travel, alternate universes, de-aging, advanced aging, a rainbow of kryptonite, and that's just a handful of examples. And I'm supposed to care about Cancer? Clark doesn't have a favor to call in with like a DOZEN different gods at this point? Cancer is way too mundane for a comics universe.

Yeah. I'm tired of cancer being the untouchable mortality button that every lazy rear end TV writer reaches for. It's absolutely unbelievable and utterly unconvincing for all of the reasons you listed. Yes, Dr. fate can cure it with a wave of his hand. But he won't, because of reasons. loving. Tiresome.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
This isn't the Arrowverse, first of all.

But more importantly, the entire point is that it's a problem superpowers cannot solve.

If you're so wrapped up in power-scaling who would win in a fight between Goku and Cancer that you can't take this narrative in good faith, you should retire from watching television.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CaptainCrunch posted:

Yeah. I'm tired of cancer being the untouchable mortality button that every lazy rear end TV writer reaches for. It's absolutely unbelievable and utterly unconvincing for all of the reasons you listed. Yes, Dr. fate can cure it with a wave of his hand. But he won't, because of reasons. loving. Tiresome.

Has Dr Fate shown up in this series?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Xelkelvos posted:

Has Dr Fate shown up in this series?

No, but I wasn't talking exclusively about this show. It's just this particular plot gets trotted out whenever writers need an insurmountable problem. Clark has his super Kryptonian scientist mom recorded on a crystal but no, this is the cliff they can't scale. Uh huh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A fantasy disease that more "rationally" cannot be cured by super-science adds too many alienating layers. It's more meaningful for something real to be beyond Clark's power. The whole point of the show as a family drama is that heat vision cannot fix the alienation Jon might feel from being powerless, or the heartbreak Jordan is going through romantically, and it can't fix grief or fear either.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 31, 2023

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Also, asking an actress to play an harrowing, real version of "space cancer" would just be silly in the confines of this show, which is rooted in a more real family drama shape.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

DoctorWhat posted:

This isn't the Arrowverse, first of all.

But more importantly, the entire point is that it's a problem superpowers cannot solve.

If you're so wrapped up in power-scaling who would win in a fight between Goku and Cancer that you can't take this narrative in good faith, you should retire from watching television.

Ok, but in the very latest episode John Henry Irons was using computer magic to try and discern how the abilities of a random supe worked. They've previously fixed all kinds of crazy power related problems with advanced technology, they can't technology-up some cancer-seeking nano-machines? It HAS to be bog standard chemo-therapy?

Ignoring my original point about Superman having friends, at a minimum, take Lois to AI Krypton-mom and get some help there. Human science may not have solved it, but surely Krypton science has?

I mean poo poo, can't the Flash loving speedforce the cancer out of her? Speedforce can do anything.

Yannick_B posted:

Also, asking an actress to play an harrowing, real version of "space cancer" would just be silly in the confines of this show, which is rooted in a more real family drama shape.

Then don't do a disease/cancer plot in a world of space and technology gods?

delightful fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 1, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

delightful posted:

Ignoring my original point about Superman having friends, at a minimum, take Lois to AI Krypton-mom and get some help there. Human science may not have solved it, but surely Krypton science has?

They did, she can't. They talk about it when they break the news to general lane

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nevermind all that, why didn't Clark give his wife routine daily cancer screenings?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I think there is enough plot for Lois to have a "white whale" she's chasing that causes her to get increasingly obsessed and make errors that the cancer is as unnecessary as it is mundane. A couple of quick alternatives off the top of my head:
- Give Clark the cancer, and then they can hand waive away most of the easy-to-access solutions/people with "the cancer has the same access to sun-based regeneration as the rest of Superman's cells"
- Give Jon the cancer, but have it be a remnant of the alternate dimension Jon that is growing and taking over him. Then it's "magic" cancer and can't be addressed through the various means available.

I know this show hasn't really gone into detail on Clark's past just that he is experienced as Superman. But at a minimum, lets say he stepped into Metropolis day 1, met Lois day 2, married and impregnated her day 3. That's still at a minimum, 15-16 years of experience. Are we really to believe that he's just been saving cats from trees and people from mudslides for 15 years? He hasn't encountered any of the plethora of super geniuses and even villain geniuses? These shows are always populated by the type of rear end in a top hat genius that love to brag like "Oh cancer? I solved that when I was 8 years old. BORING!". My mind just can't accept mundane every-day human cancer as being a problem considering the other things they've already been shown to be able to solve in this universe.

Despite not liking this particular part of the plot, I do really like the show, the actors, and most of the performances.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

delightful posted:

Ok, but in the very latest episode John Henry Irons was using computer magic to try and discern how the abilities of a random supe worked. They've previously fixed all kinds of crazy power related problems with advanced technology, they can't technology-up some cancer-seeking nano-machines? It HAS to be bog standard chemo-therapy?

I mean poo poo, can't the Flash loving speedforce the cancer out of her? Speedforce can do anything.

Then don't do a disease/cancer plot in a world of space and technology gods?

it doesn't make it any less dumb but it's comic tradition at this point. Most famously Captain Marvel and most recently Jane Foster Thor.

Every time they just have to look at the reader and state that while this person is an alien or is being transformed by ancient magic that human cancer is just unbeatable. So they might be able to stand on the sun and fly to other galaxies with a hammer but breast cancer wins.

It's even dumber because Captain Marvel dying was this huge comic deal that every character attempted to prevent and has been referenced for 40 years now and every time they reference it there is usually a disclaimer like "Despite having access to the mystic arts, other dimensions, literal gods, cosmic cubes, alien technology and time travel there was nothing anyone could do"

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 1, 2023

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie
maybe cancer is just really cosmically hard to fix

isn't it canon that dr manhattan can't cure cancer

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think it was explicitly stated in Watchmen that he couldn't use his matter reorganization powers to cure cancer. The most likely explanation is Manhattan was just a big blue rear end in a top hat who didn't really think about it but the setting was a dingy deteriorating world so cancer at least makes sense there.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 1, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

He could see that he hadn't cured cancer in the future, so he won't cure cancer in the present.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

delightful posted:

This is a different universe, there are no other superheroes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

He could see that he hadn't cured cancer in the future, so he won't cure cancer in the present.

This.

Manhattan is a character terminally locked by the determinism of his actions. He sees all points in time and does not desire or even acknowledge the possibility of changing any of it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pseudorandom name posted:

Nevermind all that, why didn't Clark give his wife routine daily cancer screenings?

Maybe he did? To quote my off-color quip made during a break while watching the previous episode before the cancer reveal:

"Betcha she's got the cancer because Clark just couldn't help using x-ray vision looking at her boobs."

... sorry, that weird Spider-Man comics plot about his radioactive jizz giving MJ terminal cancer kinda poisoned my brain.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it doesn't make it any less dumb but it's comic tradition at this point. Most famously Captain Marvel and most recently Jane Foster Thor.

Every time they just have to look at the reader and state that while this person is an alien or is being transformed by ancient magic that human cancer is just unbeatable. So they might be able to stand on the sun and fly to other galaxies with a hammer but breast cancer wins.

It's even dumber because Captain Marvel dying was this huge comic deal that every character attempted to prevent and has been referenced for 40 years now and every time they reference it there is usually a disclaimer like "Despite having access to the mystic arts, other dimensions, literal gods, cosmic cubes, alien technology and time travel there was nothing anyone could do"

In fairness to Jane Foster, they at least explained that as the hammer basically flushing the chemo out of her system every time she used it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Jane also rejected Asgard's help treating her cancer for...reasons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jordan needs a mask or something. And I guess he gets one at the end. He definitely needs a haircut though, regardless of General Lane's reason. Also didn't he retire? I guess he went back to work fulltime between seasons.

I assumed that Mannheim wanted John to disarm that bomb to get his fingerprint to unlock dead John's work or something. But no, it was just to threaten him which he did again anyways.
Bruno isn't a very convincing villain so far. Okay so you know Lois is going to snoop while using chemo as a cover to get into your hospital. Why not just deny her treatment there? If it really is the best healthcare center in America, that place should be booked for months.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I don't know why Bruno was introduced when we're getting Lex Luthor this season.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
That lead Mannheim goon was trying so hard to be Benedict Cumberbatch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did laugh at Lana stopping Kyle from intervening in the fight.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It’s nice that Jordan is getting a suit; but how is he supposed to use his heat vision if he’s wearing heirloom goggles?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

It’s nice that Jordan is getting a suit; but how is he supposed to use his heat vision if he’s wearing heirloom goggles?

Get the DoD to give him a Cyclops-style visor upgrade :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
He just doesn't put them on over his face like most of the Digimon protagonists

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Jordan needs a mask or something. And I guess he gets one at the end. He definitely needs a haircut though, regardless of General Lane's reason. Also didn't he retire? I guess he went back to work fulltime between seasons.

I assumed that Mannheim wanted John to disarm that bomb to get his fingerprint to unlock dead John's work or something. But no, it was just to threaten him which he did again anyways.
Bruno isn't a very convincing villain so far. Okay so you know Lois is going to snoop while using chemo as a cover to get into your hospital. Why not just deny her treatment there? If it really is the best healthcare center in America, that place should be booked for months.

They're working really hard to make me believe that Mannheim is this great untouchable villain, but the actor is working harder than the page so far.
Also the whole "Superman doesn't come to Suicide Slum" always feels artificial when a writer does it.
You mean to tell me Superman is not saving people in the poorer neighborhoods?
Granted, we're mostly seeing him deal with straight up global catastrophes on the show, but come on now, that's a dishonest way to create a dilemna for Clark.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well and how many carjackings and robberies and poo poo are happening all over the world at once. He has to tune it all out or he'd never watch lovely TV with his cancer wife.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Superman is also the worse character to pull that on considering how in his first goddamn issue he was helping out people in a slum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yannick_B posted:

Also the whole "Superman doesn't come to Suicide Slum" always feels artificial when a writer does it.
You mean to tell me Superman is not saving people in the poorer neighborhoods?
I think he's not, generally, saving anyone from small-scale stuff. The fact that there's a lot of small-scale stuff concentrated in one area doesn't change that. He literally can't save everyone, individually, and he's apolitical by choice so he won't force the systemic changes that would improve the lives of people en masse. Mannheim's argument seems to be that he should force systemic changes because he has the power to do so and it would be good if he did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's always dumb when someone comes along and is all "why hasn't hero solved real world problem that hasn't been mentioned before?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just throw the nukes into the sun like the movie!!!!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Bruno Mannheim actor is working his arse off with very thin writing and characterisation. They have picked some banging talent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think it would be neat if, since Manheim is leading Intergang, if Apokalips offered Manheim the kind of direct intervention on behalf of the slums that he resents Superman for not providing. But of course, since it's Darkseid, that intervention manifests as anti-life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Clark's chat with the 2 other patients was well done. All the emotional stuff this episode was.

Cmon Clark, just destroy his wifi enabled data stealing device. It can't phase in and out while beating your rear end :v:

Wow Lana. You don't have to air Dean's dirty secrets in the newspaper but you definitely don't have to name something after him either. The gently caress kind of message is that anyways? Sure he was a corrupt piece of poo poo(apparently), but he loved his son(also apparently).

e: Clark needs to fly around to every DoD facility and destroy everything Superman related. They keep loving him over. First it was the kryptonite weapons, then the blood. Now this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 12, 2023