Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

The stuff with the research facility (or whatever) in S4 is like an inverse of "sounds good on paper, terrible in actual execution" because the idea sounds over the top and too much but is actually wildly entertaining

I'm on ep7 or whenever that big reveal was.

Early S4 felt kind of S1-ish especially with the beer episode but now it's moving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was an idea grandiose enough that I can see why some consider it disappointing because, much like The First, they really didn't have the budget to do it, but dammit, they were gonna' try.

I liked both, but you can definitely see the strings, so to speak.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
S4 is probably the most rewatchable season for me because the arc plot doesn't really matter unless you care about Riley which nobody does, so I don't feel like I need to be in a Buffy rewatch to just stick one on, and pretty much every standalone episode is good to great. It also has the most and best comedy of any of the seasons so it's even more casual.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

LividLiquid posted:

It was an idea grandiose enough that I can see why some consider it disappointing because, much like The First, they really didn't have the budget to do it, but dammit, they were gonna' try.

I liked both, but you can definitely see the strings, so to speak.

I forget the name of the YouTube Buffy reviewer (Passion of the Nerd? I think?) who said it or if they were just quoting someone else, but the phrase "Camp is where ambition meets budget" has taken a permanent spot in my brain.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

No amount of budget is gonna make the initiative as a concept any better. The sets and monster costumes all looked fine.
The question is why is the huge facility under a college campus? Why are you making your head scientist work a 9-5 job. Why are your soldiers taking intro to philosophy? More computer screens on the wall doesn't really fix that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

banned from Starbucks posted:

No amount of budget is gonna make the initiative as a concept any better. The sets and monster costumes all looked fine.
The question is why is the huge facility under a college campus? Why are you making your head scientist work a 9-5 job. Why are your soldiers taking intro to philosophy? More computer screens on the wall doesn't really fix that.

Those are all rad though

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Because Buffy is a show about horror movie concepts as filtered through a high school/college girl who absolutely refuses to cooperate with how that genre is supposed to work.

So the Initiative being under the college is because, like every concept on the show, it could've been its own horror movie. What if there was a military installation that kept demons as prisoners? And holy poo poo it's right under our school!

The Initiative, starring Jennifer Love Hewett, Seth Green, Johnny Lee Miller, and Ethan Suplee.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

superheroesvillains need a secret identity

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Walsh is pretty clearly a brilliqnt workaholic who expects her men to be mentally fit as well as efficient killers. She's obsessed with designing the perfect soldier. That basically all makes sense to me and is internally consistent.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

I always saw Cabin in the Woods as like an ideal version of what it could have been. Especially the end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chronicles posted:

I always saw Cabin in the Woods as like an ideal version of what it could have been. Especially the end.

cabin in the woods is such a good movie

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I think I'm even angrier about not being able to enjoy Cabin in the Woods anymore than I was Firefly or Buffy.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Spike getting clockwork orange'd into a sitcom character unironically owns

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

LividLiquid posted:

Because Buffy is a show about horror movie concepts as filtered through a high school/college girl who absolutely refuses to cooperate with how that genre is supposed to work.

So the Initiative being under the college is because, like every concept on the show, it could've been its own horror movie. What if there was a military installation that kept demons as prisoners? And holy poo poo it's right under our school!

The Initiative, starring Jennifer Love Hewett, Seth Green, Johnny Lee Miller, and Ethan Suplee.

Picturing pre-weight loss Ethan as Adam. "It's a SAIL BOAT you fool!" punches through kids chest

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Medullah posted:

Picturing pre-weight loss Ethan as Adam. "It's a SAIL BOAT you fool!" punches through kids chest
"WHY, GOD?!"

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

well Faith is back from a coma and back to loving poo poo up as usual. she goes for the jugular.

wheres that bazooka when you need it

:colbert:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
you watching angel along with? cos even if you aren't, that faith storyline continues in angel and it's worth watching

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I've thought about it but I'm not watching along with Angel. Of course I picked up on some crossover with Angel's Thanksgiving visit* then in the next episode Buffy mentioned visiting him

*Xander blabbing at the end was funny and why we like to have him around

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I've thought about it but I'm not watching along with Angel. Of course I picked up on some crossover with Angel's Thanksgiving visit* then in the next episode Buffy mentioned visiting him

*Xander blabbing at the end was funny and why we like to have him around

I think it'd be well worth watching the other half of those crossovers. "I Will Remember You" for the end of the Thanksgiving two-parter (SMG visits Angel), and "Five by Five" and "Sanctuary" for the end of the Faith arc.

Not watching Angel is fine, but those three eps are great and finish Buffy stories.

Slavik
May 10, 2009
The crossovers are primarily in season one so you don't have to be that dedicated to running both at once if you want to watch Angel at a later date.

The show runners of both had a falling out for a couple of years after then, so the plots didn't carry over more than a line or two when character X turns up.
During that time the only plot that would matter (The repercussions of the end of Buffy season 5) is dealt with off camera and with a 5 second cameo.

If you were to just continue watching Buffy, the only thing you would not understand relates to Faith, which is where watching Scantuary and Five and from Angel season 1, will gives you enough context.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Falling out? Wasn't it because they ended up on competing networks and they had to jump through hoops to coordinate and get cameos?

Slavik
May 10, 2009
I might have misinturpreted that as some sort of in-house producer issue rather than networks not bashing out better agreements, as I can't find anything other than that on a search. Forgot they split between WB and UPN.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Angel didn't really have a consistent showrunner, either, so it'd be hard to explain "no crossovers" by that.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So is the audible thing any good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

So is the audible thing any good?

I'm two episodes in and I'm leaning towards no. It's not as well structured as the original and several of the cast feel out of character. The exposition is actively painful at times. Juliet Landau and Amber Benson are having fun though.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"Where the Wild Things Are" .... oof.

that had first draft vibes

also not sure what episode it was or where the fandom stands on this, but I am 100% anti-Giles singing in a dubbed voice

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i've not really rewatched that episode much, people generally don't like it but i don't remember it well enough

but it's actually anthony head singing, he sings several times on the show

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

He's an Actual Singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq2vaP2cLU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

"Where the Wild Things Are" .... oof.

that had first draft vibes

also not sure what episode it was or where the fandom stands on this, but I am 100% anti-Giles singing in a dubbed voice

yeah anthony head is a great singer

also that was a so so ep, but this is great:

Xander: Anya, look around. There's ghosts and shaking, and people are going all Felicity with their hair. We're fresh out of superpeople, and somebody's gotta go back in there. Now, who's with me?

[Willow and Tara hesitate]

Spike: I am... I know I'm not the first choice for heroics... and Buffy's tried to kill me more than once. And I don't fancy a single one of you at all. But...

[pauses]

Spike: Actually, all that sounds pretty convincing

[walks away]

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Spike is best, I'm always happy when he shows up. also amazed that was Head singing

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Head got his start in musicals and was the original Dr Frank N Furter in the west end version of Rocky Horror.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

His brother sang One Night in Bangkok. They are a talented family. The best 80s british rap this side of the pet shop boys

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Yeah "Behind Blue Eyes" is the only reason to not skip that episode

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno, all those college kids lining up to touch the sex wall is pretty funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Head got his start in musicals and was the original Dr Frank N Furter in the west end version of Rocky Horror.

Let's not forget Repo, the Genetic Opera

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
we should probably forget Repo, the Genetic Opera

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I mean...I do appreciate the joke at the end when it's like,
"Oh, the SEX GHOSTS! That's why Buffy and Riley were just in there banging all day and night!"

And they both just give this knowing look,
"Yeah, sex ghosts...that's it. Heh...not just young and horny...totally the sex ghosts. Sure did suck, all that sex ghost sex."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I laughed out loud when the old lady said she could smell sin on each and every one of them and then Xander told her that she who smelt it dealt it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

His brother is too. Murray Head originated the role of Judas in Jesus Christ Super Star and sang 80s favorite One Night in Bangkok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is partly riffing off something Pan Dulce (hi!) and I were talking about in Couch Chat, but I think I really like Xander's overall character arc on this show -- particularly how it pays off in the final season.

I rewatched Potential just this last weekend, and that final scene where Xander talks to Dawn is just really great full stop. Just a really sensitive piece of reassurance for her, that helps her appreciate her specific strengths and abilities, rather than framing her life through her limitations. But I think a lot of that scene's power also comes from seeing how much Xander's changed, and that the last few seasons have really seen him slowly shed his inferiority complex and his needy, stymied machismo for something far more stable and confident -- particularly as he's found other avenues for success outside his circle of friends (i.e. his job).

I quite like the idea that he's embraced his low skill cap as an avenue towards empathy, particularly in a season where several characters (Buffy, Giles) are sacrificing their empathy for what they see as more effective leadership.

It's a really great episode btw. IMO Rebecca Rand Kirschner could sometimes be kind of weak (Hell's Bells), but her three episodes in Season Seven (this, Help and Touched) are all knockouts.