Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Anne Whateley posted:

It's cool and good you want to pay your workers $20/hr, but you know it's not like $20/hr and that's the end, right? Like, besides the $20, you're also on the hook for FICA and unemployment, plus you probably want to give them sick days, training, certification, workers' comp, insurance, etc. The only way $20/hr = $20/hr is under the table, which is A, illegal, and B, not in line with your goal of treating employees ethically

https://www.sba.gov/blog/how-much-does-employee-cost-you

The old rule-of-thumb I heard is that, when you're doing your rough budgeting for a workforce, use double their hourly pay to account for all the payroll costs. So if you're paying $20/hr then go ahead and budget that as $40/hr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Don't worry he will just plan to sell twice as many each day, so simple

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Rationale, I hope when you read posts like the above you understand why people were (a) skeptical from the outset and (b) hammering on the need for a business plan before you start sinking money into this. They're not trying to block you from riches, they're trying to make sure you go into a very difficult and risky endeavor with your eyes fully open. How much will converting that building into a nice-looking space with a paved and easily-accessible drive thru cost? Can you actually afford to pay $40/hour for each worker? Specifically, imagine the hours when no one is coming by -- are you going to be side-eyeing that employee and mentally tallying the money you're paying them to stand there with you? Treating your workers well goes beyond paying them a fair wage, you have to also provide a decent work environment, i.e. not being lovely to them because you can't really afford them. There's a reason small business owners have a reputation for being tyrants, the labor costs are personal to them.

And whoever asked if you'll actually close when you go through your initial runway, this is a really key question. The time to decide if you want to mortgage your house over this idea is now, not when you're out of cash but feel like it just might turn around if you only had another six months. It's going to be very hard to know if you are throwing good money after bad until you're deep in the hole.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Giraffe posted:

Treating your workers well goes beyond paying them a fair wage, you have to also provide a decent work environment, i.e. not being lovely to them because you can't really afford them. There's a reason small business owners have a reputation for being tyrants, the labor costs are personal to them.

Ya, if only profits were higher they'd be chill about paying labor more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Where are you getting these numbers from?

Lol

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Most people that buy $3 coffees prefer not to be anywhere near condemned industrial sites. McDonald’s sells you a hell of a stomach bomb and coffee for $5 and is likely you competition

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Most people that buy $3 coffees prefer not to be anywhere near condemned industrial sites. McDonald’s sells you a hell of a stomach bomb and coffee for $5 and is likely you competition

yeah for about $6.50 including taxes the other day I got a sausage mcmuffin, sausage mcgriddle, and large coffee

(I only bought the coffee because I wasn't going to be at home where I'd be drinking the finest of cheap, powdered instant coffee)

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

I mean, I know the answer is "nowhere," but I want to hear his explanation

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

I mean, I know the answer is "nowhere," but I want to hear his explanation

Much like hearing bubbles and gurgles in a plumbing line, which you don't wantto hear but it will help diagnose what went wrong

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tempora Mutantur posted:

(I'd be drinking the finest of cheap, powdered instant coffee)

loving hell

youre banned from sharing advice about coffee to people. the gently caress is wrong with you drinking that poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

CarForumPoster posted:

loving hell

youre banned from sharing advice about coffee to people. the gently caress is wrong with you drinking that poo poo

The only thing instant coffee is good for is packing a lip when you need that real quick big hit caffeine

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Instant coffee is great for adding a coffee flavor to basically anything and it's definitely drinkable as originally intended.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The only thing instant coffee is good for is packing a lip when you need that real quick big hit caffeine

It's a handy ingredient, I use it to make coffee ice cream and as a flavoring in a chocolate cake

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'd rather go through caffeine withdrawal than touch instant coffee.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Modern instant coffee can actually be pretty good, its not all crap. I like it for backpacking.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

as a flavoring in a chocolate cake

Yea true, the exception to instant coffee is disgusting haram garbage. I fuckin love a chocolate cake with some coffee in the cake, a chocolate frosting between layers and a cream cheese icing on the outside.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 22, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

My mom has a recipe for the most decadent chocolate cake called Mississippi Mud cake, I should get that recipe and make it soon. I love a rich, dark chocolate cake with fresh whipped cream that isn't too sweet. My dad makes really good whipped cream, he puts in the perfect amount of sugar, and bourbon instead of vanilla. One of the two bought a whip cream canister like thirty years ago, and he loves that thing. Any chance to make whipped cream to go with a dessert, and he is all over it (No, he doesn't huff the cartridges)

If I get that recipe soonish, I'll make a test cake to see if it's as good as I remember, and post it here. The pfeffernusse, meanwhile, turned out perfectly except for the shape. If you want a perfectly smooth cookie, you gotta hand-roll it into balls, a scoop leaves an irregular surface. Not that it actually matters, but I'm a stickler for presentation

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

taqueso posted:

Modern instant coffee can actually be pretty good, its not all crap. I like it for backpacking.

Ya, it can be good. Mt. Hagen is a good instant coffee. Good enough to drink black, anyway.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I like the Starbucks cold brew concentrate pods for camping. Might be a little too big/heavy for backpacking, but for car camping they're great. Just pour it in a cup and mix it with some water, hot or cold, and you're good to go.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I know you already made some donuts but is it too late to pivot to opening a laundromat instead?

The building just reminds me of one and you can probably get it up and running with your plumbing skills.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

CarForumPoster posted:

loving hell

Instant coffee is decent. Is it as good as Real coffee that hasn't been freeze-dried and prepared so that all you need is a bit of hot water to get Hot Caffeinated Bean Juice? No, of course not and no one is saying that it is.

But it's decent enough for the price point and I liked it pretty well back in college when I couldn't get a coffee machine in my dorm room but I was allowed an electric kettle.

Ohtori Akio posted:

Instant coffee is great for adding a coffee flavor to basically anything and it's definitely drinkable as originally intended.

Agreed. It'd be way easier to do the sourdough espresso cake I learned at the start of the pandemic, if I had instant coffee instead of having to gather a couple teaspoons of coffee from the pot every time I want to make it or if I need to redo the icing.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nescafe tasters choice house blend is perfectly drinkable and fine instant coffee

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hot scrote water

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Hot scrote water

don't teabag your coffee, wtf

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Hot scrote water

Good username

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tempora Mutantur posted:

don't teabag your coffee, wtf

chai with scrote milk is better than nestle instant

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Maybe the OP should just open a convenience store that sells instant coffee and pre made donuts?

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

the little powdered Hostess donuts are pretty dope, ngl

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Tnuctip posted:

Maybe the OP should just open a convenience store that sells instant coffee and pre made donuts?

Wire racks and a bodega cat is cheaper than renovations

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

aw frig aw dang it posted:

instant coffee. Good enough to drink black

the little powdered Hostess donuts are pretty dope, ngl

to each their own but jfc, it's hard not to interpolate these statements into what your opinions on things must be like...

nissan versa is a great car!
miley cyrus is so avant-garde.

is an ideal sunday for you like instant coffee, a box of cheap donuts and an all day binge watch of white people renovating houses?

EDIT: These are valid opinions, they're just surprising to read. Apologies that this has a curt and dismissive tone.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 23, 2022

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I own a Nissan versa and the only donuts I like are the hostess powdered sugar donuts. If I liked instant coffee I'd be looking out my windows right now wondering why you were spying on me.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grumpwagon posted:

I own a Nissan versa and the only donuts I like are the hostess powdered sugar donuts. If I liked instant coffee I'd be looking out my windows right now wondering why you were spying on me.

Sounds like you should give instant coffee another go.

EDIT: In case you feel like you have nothing to live for, I heard Behr paints is coming out with a new shade of beige.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 23, 2022

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

CarForumPoster posted:

Sounds like you should give instant coffee another go.

EDIT: In case you feel like you have nothing to live for, I heard Behr paints is coming out with a new shade of beige.

You heard wrong, it's actually Taupe 2.0 and you better get in line if you want to be able to paint your bedroom on black Friday.

E: what does the car forum think about Rav4s b/c I have to leave behind my GLI and grow up and get a boring crossover

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

a fun sunday for me is drinking instant coffee and then watching the nfl

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Waste of Breath posted:

You heard wrong, it's actually Taupe 2.0 and you better get in line if you want to be able to paint your bedroom on black Friday.

E: what does the car forum think about Rav4s b/c I have to leave behind my GLI and grow up and get a boring crossover

Its a reliable appliance of a car. Honda HRV, Civic, CRV and Toyota CHR, Corolla, Prius, Rav4 all seem good (check reviews) if you need a sub $30k reliable appliance-car and don't view driving as part of the spice of life.

Nissan Versa is the official car of the person who just got passed over for promotion.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

CarForumPoster posted:

to each their own but jfc, it's hard not to interpolate these statements into what your opinions on things must be like...

is an ideal sunday for you like instant coffee, a box of cheap donuts and an all day binge watch of white people renovating houses?

EDIT: These are valid opinions, they're just surprising to read. Apologies that this has a curt and dismissive tone.

For the price, the Nissan Versa is a great car.
And Miley Cyrus is actually pretty drat weird.

Also, that sounds like a pretty good Sunday.

God, I am old.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

blackmet posted:

For the price, the Nissan Versa is a great car.
And Miley Cyrus is actually pretty drat weird.

Also, that sounds like a pretty good Sunday.

God, I am old.

Have you seen Home Depot's Black Friday deals on mowers?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I found some signage I bet this guy could get for cheap

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

lol that sounds like an okay Sunday! I don't need fancy stuff to be happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

lol that sounds like an okay Sunday! I don't need fancy stuff to be happy

A blunt and a good cake donut and a drip coffee is a great Saturday morning imo

Being easily satisfied isn't bad