Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Our first mission in Australia?

E: no wait that's orange/red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

glwgameplayer posted:

I hope you guys are looking forward to 50 pictures of a pink/red desert.

oh poo poo, the aliens are spreading red weed already? they work fast

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 39: Cyberweb Fortress Assault.
*Begin Recording*
Hound Smith’s Log February 25th to March 1st

I’m bored alright. First I was sent to Weasel Bunker, which was fine. I knew we had to deal with EXALT and the only way to do that was to set a base over in America to fight them with. But now I’ve spent a long time away from the action because the Kitsune at Rat Hill can patrol the entire world, and we can only really hit stuff in the Americas.

And now I’m basically retired to “pilot” and kinda bored. So I agreed to do a report. To keep me busy.

I may have made a mistake.

Okay, let’s see… First things first is a monster hunt. Which has long since stopped being dangerous for us. But it is good training. Apparently, Drakenel II ripped out a Mongorn’s throat, which is very cool.

I’ve never been to Dimension X but it sounds to me like it kinda sucks. It’s just a giant desert with purple sand occupied by dangerous aliens. Our agents will be sent out in full environmental protection suits which is… not ideal

Although I guess I have to talk about this one first. The Sound of Graves. You know how most ghosts are pretty weak and pathetic? Not these guys

G255: The grave site is up this hill. Let’s march up and get it done

G255: This place is pretty tightly packed, I don’t see all that many ghosts but there are a lot of grave sites. Anyway, same old same old let’s take the Ghost down

G255: What the gently caress was that?
Grenade Baby: What was what?
G255: The ghost just shot me with psychic poo poo!

AlakaBLAM: Oh come on, it’s just one ghost, how bad could everything be?

Whisper Williams: ugh…

George Gieff: You should know better than to say that. Uh, what’s the call boss?
G255: I think we should grab our friends and get the hell out of here. These ghosts aren’t supposed to be this strong.

Grenade Baby: Maybe it’s because of some kind of ghost artifact or something? I mean we’re looking for a miser’s grave or something right?
AlakaBLAM: I have a suggestion. We burn this place to the ground!
G255: You know, that’s not a bad idea.

The commander is currently talking with the council about making a specific crew to deal with ghosts because we can’t exactly deal with them. We have some ghost-slaying weapons from the Aether cult but part of what made the ghosts so easy to deal with before seems to not be true anymore. If they can fire ghost bullets, that makes them a lot more dangerous

(I’ll explain further in the notes, but the ghosts received a massive buff in Version 3.1 and I do not approve. Also, their story isn’t finished and I don’t actually think I can go any further so…)

Personally, I hope we can put the ghosts behind us. I’m not a big fan of them. It’s hard to shoot something that’s basically incorporeal. I think I used that word right…

Okay! Cyberweb base attack time.

Hydra: This is a Mudranger. It is strange to be in this vehicle. It was never used by our agents due to its limited range. There are some small Cyberweb drones due southeast of the Mudranger

Hydra: To the west of the Mudranger is a much more fearsome opponent. It appears to be some kind of humanoid mechanized unit.
Koorisch: I call dibs!

Orange Sherbert: Wow these guns are great! They’re super accurate, and I get burst fire.

Greenking: I agree, these guns are awesome. We should be careful though, we’re not exactly well-armored in these hazmat suits.

Drake Sherrin: Hey Sam I think I heard something shooting at us from behind. Can you check over there?
Sam O’varr: Yeah yeah… Found it. Just another one of those little drones.
Koorisch: Do us a favor and kill it, Drake and I need all our focus to snipe that bipedal weapon.

Dak Thornson: Oh man I completely forgot there was a ladder to the roof. Hey Nick, if they can’t kill it do you mind climbing on the roof with your rocket launcher?
Nick Danger: Say no more.

Drake Sherrin: I can tell I did damage, but clearly not enough.
Koorisch: Yeah, it might take more than a couple of shots to topple this guy
Hydra: My Minigun has a slightly limited range, I can provide support, but it will be limited

Greenking: I see another drone. Arcovic, take it out!
Arcovic II: Can’t. Sand dune is in the way.

Sam O’varr: Why is sand so hard to move in? The hazmat suit isn’t helping, but still. I feel so sluggish!

(The most frustrating thing about this mission is that it takes 6 TUs to move straight across the sand, and 9 to move diagonally, as opposed to 4 straight and 6 diagonally on normal terrain. A 50% increase in movement costs. And that’s on top of the energy penalty from wearing the hazmat suits which reduces our ability to sprint.)

Dak Thornson: I reeeally hope no one has a grenade on their side…

Drake Sherrin: I guess it had a close-range weapon? I can’t think of any other reason why it would be hanging out up there.
Koorisch: But… but I called dibs!

Dak Thornson: That’s a Boomeroid. Er… Boomer Organ? Whatever, it’s a bomb. We need to kill that guy
Orange Sherbert: Somehow I didn’t think that they would be wearing suits like us.

The Second Badger: These guys are still pretty tough. Do you think if I leave them alone they’ll die? I mean, they aren’t wearing the life-saving space suit anymore?
Greenking: I mean… yeah? But maybe we should put them out of their misery

(I have no idea if these guys would die or not if I left them alone, but I’m not willing to take that risk. Also worth noting, they drop their weapons when their space suit gets broken)

Orange Sherbert: Let me do it. I need a little practice with this thing.

Michael Dukakis: I’m happy to just lug this rocket launcher around, but I’d really like to fire it someday.
Sam O’varr: You’ll get a chance if you keep pace with us. Which is harder than it sounds in the sand.

Nick Danger: I guess Hydra and I are going to go the other way around. Anyone wanna join us?
Koorisch: Sure, I’ll go with you.

Sam O’varr: drat! I missed.
Greenking: Sam look out!

Sam O’varr: Dak, I want you to kill him for me.
Dak Thornson: I can do that, but are you gonna be okay?
Sam O’varr: Yeah. I’ve just got to go get Hugh Manual to patch me up

Sam O’varr: Thank you, doctor
Dr. Hugh Manual: You are welcome.

Nick Danger: It’s kind of impressive that he survived that, even though his space suit is trashed.
Koorisch: Don’t worry, they won’t be alive in just a second…

Dak Thornson: No you don’t!
Orange Sherbert: Are they just going to keep coming out to fight us one at a time? Because that will make this really, really easy.

Greenking: We basically have to kill each of them twice. Once to break the armor, once to actually kill them
Sam O’varr: What I want to know is who parked the Mudranger on the opposite side of the base.

Nick Danger: You alright Hydra?
Hydra: My armor has sustained slight damage.

(I don’t know if I’ve commented on it yet but the white flash indicates that the unit has taken armor damage. This is one of the primary reasons I use the minigun tank, armor shredding)

Hydra: Please be careful where you fire that thing
Nick Danger: Of course, I’ll be careful. Don’t wanna mess you up.

Nick Danger: haha, got 'em!

Sam O’varr: Oh these poor simple-minded fools…
Orange Sherbert: I call dibs!
Michael Dukakis: Okay fine. But if you can’t finish him off, I’ll take a shot.

Hydra: Hmm. That would be a tricky shot to make. The walkway is elevated and difficult to see from the ground.

Nick Danger: Whoops, that wasn’t ideal

Nick Danger: Oh poo poo.

Nick Danger: Two of them?!

Nick Danger: THREE! THREE EXPLOSIVES! You know what! This is a good way to die! Tell my story Hydra!

(The first of 3 explosions centered on Nick and Hydra)

Dak Thornson: Hydra what the hell happened?
Hydra: Thr-ee explo-osions were centered on m-myself and N-n-nick. Engaging the enemy.

Dak Thornson: We gotta get over there. Double time everyone!
The Second Badger: hoo… can we not? I’m tired…

Dak Thornson: Oh my god can you move any slower?!
The Second Badger: I told you I’m tired! Also, this guy is in the way and I don’t want to run the risk of a gun struggle

Dak Thornson: Problem solved, now keep moving!

Hydra: Armor sustained serious damage. Shutting down.

Dak Thornson: I barely walk a foot and I see one of these guys…
Greenking: I’ll scout ahead!

Greenking: Ah… poo poo…

Dak Thornson: Alright I’ve had enough of this! We’ve been slaughtering every soldier you send out to face us! Either surrender or we’ll kill you all!

Sam O’varr: Sounds like they aren’t surrendering Dak.
Dak Thornson: So be it. If they’re smart, a few of them will change their minds

A few of them changed their minds.

(I was in a rush because I was streaming this for a friend, and I came to the conclusion that this mission was taking too drat long. 40 minutes and 13 turns to reach the entrance to the base is way too many, and Cyberweb won’t surrender until all their robots are dead. Even though they started panicking way before that.)

Hydra’s gonna be fine, we pulled the AI core out of the tank shell, although we’re going to need to repair it with Alien Alloys and repair the actual core.

Your deaths aren’t in vain. With this base captured, we have all we need to take down Cyberweb. And when that happens, we’ll avenge you.

The next day there was a tiny alien scout over North America but I shot it down. The first action I have seen in a while. The ship was completely destroyed, and no cleanup required

It took a few days to debrief him, but we finally had David Vincent shipped out of our base to his new cover. The council will keep him safe, and both David and the council are very thankful. He also shared with us the specs of the Alien Small Scout

(Thanks David. You could have told me about Alien Chemistry, Wave Field Theory, Programming, and other difficult subjects we can only get from Engineers and Leaders. Instead, you told us about Small Scouts. Good Job)

In case you haven’t read the dossier, let me just give a brief description. Dr. Alpha is basically the ultimate Syndicate Scientist, the one who has been responsible for creating all the weird mutated hybrid animals we’ve been fighting. And we found his lab

Considering how long the last mission file took, I’m just gonna skip ahead a little bit

Plaintiff: So… we’re all gonna jump down there? And fight the hoards of monsters
G255: Yes
Plaintiff: This job is awesome!

Plaintiff: I’ll admit. That startled me.
Dak Thornson: Good reflexes though.

Drakenel II: -barking energetically-
George Gieff: Alright it’s go time!

Dak Thornson: You were scary, once upon a time. But now you’re nothing.

Orange Sherbert: The area looks secure to me. Now let’s get looking for that Alpha guy.

Orange Sherbert: Go Drakenel Go!

The Second Badger: This terrain favors us so much. This is gonna be easy!
Dak Thornson: I expect that we were supposed to get ambushed or something. And I guess we did, sorta.

(5 minutes of clowning on monsters later)

Arcovic II: Oh, that might actually be kind of dangerous

Arcovic II: Or not. Thanks for the assist G
G255: No problem.

Arcovic II: Good Job Drakenel! When we get home I’ll get you some treats
Drakenel: -happy barks-
Dak Thornson: Hang on. Why did they have a zombie here? I thought those were alien in origin.

George Gieff: Oh hell. I’m not dealing with the ventilation system

Drakenel II: -”target sighted” barks-

(Despite his appearance Dr Alpha isn’t psionically shielded, but he does have Psi sense. His stats are close to human norms other than his resistance to chemical weapons and his high stamina.)

Grenade Baby: Drakenel spotted something around where I am. Should I prepare my stun grenades?
Plaintiff: Uh… I think that’s his “target sighted” bark. We tried to train them to have different signals for different things. So maybe?

Plaintiff: He has an electric spear?!

Grenade Baby: I didn’t expect you to hit him that hard.
Plaintiff: Me neither. I just sorta panicked and threw a punch

After the hell that was the Cyberweb battle it was kind of nice to just have to deal with animals and a human equipped with a stun rod.

Also I got promoted to captain and I’m not sure why? Was there a vacancy? I guess that makes sense but it’s still kinda sad

Medals!

I find this to be a bit of a funny coincidence. Right as we’re done taking on the master of monsters, we find out how to replicate the blood plasma that the monsters are made of.

Weasel Bunker got to play, but it was just some mongorns. There’s some rumblings over there that Weasel Bunker doesn’t get enough missions, that it isn’t “important” compared to Rat Hill. I think there may be some transfers, or they may petition the commander to make a Skymarshal for them or something

Anyway, the rest of February passed without any issues, we got a big cash flow, entered March, and all that good stuff.

So… we may have pissed in the Syndicate’s cheerios. Like, to the point that they’re sending aircraft full of agents to scout the world for our bases and attack us.

To this I say bring it on We’re more than capable of taking you punks down, and all you’re doing now is picking a fight you’ll lose.

I mean, they’ll never read this so they’ll never know but… eh. I like calling them out. We might shoot them down and take them out, but I wouldn’t mind letting them come to the base so we could fight them man to man.

*End Recording*

LPer Notes

One thing that 3.1 did was rebalance ghosts. And now they’re very, very scary. I tried dealing with ghosts missions like I usually do only for my team to get dunked on. It’s partly my fault, partly that specific mission’s fault, and partly bad design.

See, ghosts have a 32-power ranged Psi attack now that does HP and stun damage, and armor is only 10% effective against it. On top of that, the Graves mission is for some reason an undercover mission where only low-grade craft like the Dragonfly and the Land Rover can be sent and only concealable weapons can be used.. So I was limited to 5-8 agents to fight somewhere between 10 and 20 ghosts all of whom can shoot a max of 4 32 power Psi attacks a round.

Do you see my issue?

Also, the Ghost arc isn’t complete right now, so I’m going to do myself a favor and just clear those out with Debug mode for now. There’s no point in pursuing them, they’re just a thorn in my side.

The Cyberweb battleship mission isn’t great either. I had a lot of handicaps.

It’s in a desert, so that reduces our movement speed, and I got unlucky and we spawned on the opposite side of the base. If I had a laser cutter or a pickaxe I may have been able to smash our way through. Oh, also the balcony outside gave them an excellent vantage point to shoot us through.

The enemies all had to be killed twice, once to break their suit and another to actually kill them. There were also the huge power armor guys but we ended up handling them pretty easily.

It’s in Dimension X so we were limited to hazmat gear with 9 armor. I could have gotten better armor but I didn’t want to make any considering we’re almost done with Dimension X and I was holding out for something more advanced than the Bio Exo Suit.

Rough as hell.

It’s also worth mentioning that one thing the update added was new cybernetic gear which we can get from interrogating Cyberweb soldiers, or from MiB scientists. So all of a sudden I feel the need to capture more Cyberweb boys

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I hope no one is grumpy about me ignoring/cheating the ghost missions but. There is exactly one mission left in their storyline, and it's just one where we attack an Aether base and take out a squad of journeymen, initiates, and ghosts, along with a single commander who has higher stats.

Also, I think that the update made an enormous mistake by giving the ghosts 32 power psi blasts that ignore armor. That's a lot of damage to suddenly send my way compared to the scratches they used to give us, and it's an actual ranged attack that has good accuracy. Even my extremely well-trained troops have a decent chance of instantly passing out when shot by a ghost.

Granted I could have brought the actual ghost-killing weapons and might have had better luck but... I haven't needed them until now.

I also could have made some Toxi Suits to bring into Dimension X with us but, again. Haven't needed them until now.

Guess how many of my decisions are motivated by the lack of space in my primary base and how it's currently nigh impossible for me to move all of its equipment to Weasel Bunker since they don't have a good troop transport yet?

It's most of them. That and laziness/a distaste for bookkeeping

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
RIP to my soldier. Sand/desert levels are never fun in games.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Nice to see me still contributing. Have you moved stuff to the dedicated factory base yet?

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Geez, that's a major overhaul to the ghosts. I can see the intent behind it - it's been so trivial for you to ignore the anti-ghost weapons, so ramping up their danger would make it necessary to actually use those. But it feels like they overcorrected, and it really messes things up for anyone in the middle of a campaign. Given the lack of payoff, it makes sense to skip that storyline.

Still, at least we've got a potential base assault to look forward to!

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

habituallyred posted:

Nice to see me still contributing. Have you moved stuff to the dedicated factory base yet?

I moved as many of the alien tech bits as I could, along with all the stuff that is designated as a "component" But it's a bit harder for me to deal with the weapon drops. Every time I think about selling them or sending them to a new base I think. What if we need them?

WizardOfWhispers posted:

Geez, that's a major overhaul to the ghosts. I can see the intent behind it - it's been so trivial for you to ignore the anti-ghost weapons, so ramping up their danger would make it necessary to actually use those. But it feels like they overcorrected, and it really messes things up for anyone in the middle of a campaign. Given the lack of payoff, it makes sense to skip that storyline.

Still, at least we've got a potential base assault to look forward to!

I think it would be fine if their Psi blast was like, 10-20 Psi power or something. Because that's enough for individual ghosts to be dangerous, but not enough for a group to just completely slaughter our team

And to be fair, if I had the ghost-killing weapons we would have a better chance since ghosts take 300% damage from Psi weapons. But it would still make ghost fights very Rocket Tag in nature.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The secret behind the ghost weapons is that the green ghost attack only does 20% HP damage and can't cause wounds, so even though it mostly ignores armor it typically isn't going to kill you, the energy damage will KO an agent long before they take lethal damage. The gray ghosts are way more dangerous, having a stealth field like the ninjas and a weapon with actual killing potential, but they only get 3 shots, and unlike the ninjas don't get massive damage bonuses and armor penetration. They can still gently caress an agent up, though, since it uses the sniper 50%-200% damage range but in my experience they tend to try and attack from much longer range than they really need to and end up wasting their limited ammo, plus good armor blunts a lot of the damage since it has no AP capabilities and is only kinetic damage

That said ghost missions (especially the graveyard one) are still very dangerous, especially if you don't have an arsenal of ghostbusting gear available from farming RoA missions for a little while. Or, like the graveyard, you don't realize you need to bring covert gear and armor.

e: This also ignores the fact that with smaller squad sizes, often times a KO'd agent is just as bad as a dead one, since you have fewer bodies. This is also why an early-game giant frog mission is terrifying especially if it catches you by surprise in a crowded area.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 20, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Steelion posted:

The secret behind the ghost weapons is that the green ghost attack only does 20% HP damage and can't cause wounds, so even though it mostly ignores armor it typically isn't going to kill you, the energy damage will KO an agent long before they take lethal damage. The gray ghosts are way more dangerous, having a stealth field like the ninjas and a weapon with actual killing potential, but they only get 3 shots, and unlike the ninjas don't get massive damage bonuses and armor penetration. They can still gently caress an agent up, though, since it uses the sniper 50%-200% damage range but in my experience they tend to try and attack from much longer range than they really need to and end up wasting their limited ammo, plus good armor blunts a lot of the damage since it has no AP capabilities and is only kinetic damage

I probably could have done the gravesite mission if I had the bulletproof coats, actual anti-ghost weapons, and medkits full of stims to keep my agents moving. But it just didn't seem worth the effort to go back, revamp my equipment, and then send the agents back. Especially since it's basically all we have left between us and the final ghost mission (unless I have forgotten one)

Me being lazy? Perhaps. But you're not really missing anything

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Nice to see I'm still alive and contributing! Don't worry about the ghosts. I think I also cheated against them even in the old versions.

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013

Greenking77 posted:

RIP to my soldier. Sand/desert levels are never fun in games.
They're rough and course and they get everywhere...

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

I probably could have done the gravesite mission if I had the bulletproof coats, actual anti-ghost weapons, and medkits full of stims to keep my agents moving. But it just didn't seem worth the effort to go back, revamp my equipment, and then send the agents back. Especially since it's basically all we have left between us and the final ghost mission (unless I have forgotten one)

Me being lazy? Perhaps. But you're not really missing anything

Also you're doing this LP to display the mod and have fun. Don't do something that's really frustrating and doesn't contribute to anything!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One of the problems with all these mods is constantly adding 'more' without asking if it's really necessary. Like, the ghosts need all sorts of stuff to deal with ghosts, that you get by dealing with ghosts. They just seem like a little closed off loop themselves. And adding them in lowers your chances of progressing in other storylines, too, since their missions get rolled.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

A few of the various factions really feel would be best left unexplained and unexplored. The two dudes in a busted rear end car stage of the game and upgrading to a range rover would be ideal for me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

One of the problems with all these mods is constantly adding 'more' without asking if it's really necessary. Like, the ghosts need all sorts of stuff to deal with ghosts, that you get by dealing with ghosts. They just seem like a little closed off loop themselves. And adding them in lowers your chances of progressing in other storylines, too, since their missions get rolled.

The reward for finishing the mission chain should be allowing you to recruit ghost agents. Now you get to be the one tormenting people who lack anti-ghost weapons.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Night10194 posted:

winterwerefox posted:

A few of the various factions really feel would be best left unexplained and unexplored. The two dudes in a busted rear end car stage of the game and upgrading to a range rover would be ideal for me.

Yeah, that's more or less how I feel about it. This mod is great but it's got too much stuff, and I would love to be able to just pass off a few different factions to other people. If I could choose some factions to get rid of it would be the ghosts and then either Cyberweb/The Apocalypse Aliens or the Terror From The Deep aliens. Both of them require you to either equip for battle underwater or in Dimension X, and both of those are sandy terrain which slows you down and requires you to wear specific armor in order to avoid being taken out.

There's technically nothing stopping you from taking the ghost-based psi weapons, the sonic weapons from the Underwater aliens, or the Chemical and Warp weapons of Apocalypse aliens and putting them to use. But they're all kind of side grades of each other and a bit difficult to keep stocked compared to the absolute flood of plasma and laser weapons and clips we're going to be grabbing off the primary aliens soon.

Although there are... other reasons to complete those arcs. Which we'll be seeing as soon as I kick Cyberweb or The Syndicate to the curb

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 24, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

glwgameplayer posted:

Yeah, that's more or less how I feel about it. This mod is great but it's got too much stuff, and I would love to be able to just pass off a few different factions to other people. If I could choose some factions to get rid of it would be the ghosts and then either Cyberweb/The Apocalypse Aliens or the Terror From The Deep aliens. Both of them require you to either equip for battle underwater or in Dimension X, and both of those are sandy terrain which slows you down and requires you to wear specific armor in order to avoid being taken out.

There's technically nothing stopping you from taking the ghost-based psi weapons, the sonic weapons from the Underwater aliens, or the Chemical and Warp weapons of Apocalypse aliens and putting them to use. But they're all kind of side grades of each other and a bit difficult to keep stocked compared to the absolute flood of plasma and laser weapons and clips we're going to be grabbing off the primary aliens soon.

Although there are... other reasons to complete those arcs. Which we'll be seeing as soon as I kick Cyberweb or The Syndicate to the curb

Yeah, I personally think Dimension X sucks, just both the aesthetic and enemies are eyesores, and I don't feel like the many side plots suit XCF as much as they do Xpiratez (though i think many of piratez's side plots suck as well, don't get me wrong).

XCF has a definite progression, and dimension x and underground/underwater just feel like padding for the main line, which I already feel has a ton of material, as you'll probably see later in the LP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

them adding the underwater stuff feels like they didn't want to make a separate mod to specifically tackle Terror from the Deep, which sucks because TftD deserves more love in the XCOM resurgence.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, it feels like the mod has matured enough and added enough stuff that it's time to prune some of the boring/awful parts of it, because there sure is plenty of that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Koorisch posted:

Yeah, it feels like the mod has matured enough and added enough stuff that it's time to prune some of the boring/awful parts of it, because there sure is plenty of that.

That will never happen as the constant drive for these sorts of mods is ADD MORE.

It should, but I very much doubt it will.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So, what're the odds they'll add an option/toggle to what factions you can encounter? Aliens would obviously be off that list, because come on, it's X-COM.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gilgamesh255 posted:

So, what're the odds they'll add an option/toggle to what factions you can encounter? Aliens would obviously be off that list, because come on, it's X-COM.

They probably won't, or can't. With the way that the research tree is built, there are some pieces of research that are basically load-bearing. And some of that research is linked to specific factions. For example, starting to research psychic stuff requires a psychic artifact, the first of which would be the flame glove from Black Lotus or the various staves from Dagon. And Durathread is a huge piece of research for both armor and aircraft, but you can only really get it from Red Dawn (and sometimes Osiron)

The upside and downside of stuffing a mod full of a billion things and giving them plenty of crossover

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 40: The Syndicate is Pissed.
*Begin Recording*
Commander’s Log: March 1st to March 9th

I woke up with a paper on my desk that was a request from Hound Smith to let Weasel Bunker be found so that he could singlehandedly defend it from The Syndicate.

That is a colossally stupid idea, so while that would be very, very cool, I’m afraid I can’t let that happen. As a consolation prize, I let him be the one to shoot their Dragonfly down.

(These can crash land and be assaulted, but there isn't much point in my opinion. Just around 8 security agents. However for some reason if it reaches one of our bases it multiplies into a massive swarm of attacks)

All of our rookie agents received Bio-Enhancement as long as they had the mental fortitude for it. It has rapidly become the enhancement we rely on the most.

Apparently, our Medical Officer and Intelligence Officer had this whole speech planned to try and convince me to funnel more funding into their respective fields. But I preempted them before they could put the plan into action. They found their old scripts and we all had a bit of a chuckle about it.

We’re literally in the process of building an advanced laboratory, so they’ll be set for the coming months at least.

(I’m curious where the background art comes from. Is it original or copied from something? Also, I believe these were added in the update and were supposed to fire off back when we first started going up the medical and intelligence-based trees)

The council better consider my proposal for a team of Ghost Busters. I don’t want to deal with these guys much longer. Oh yeah also this is the hand of a crotchety old man or whatever, and his spite means it’s basically still alive.

The Dart Musket is an upgrade to the Dart Rifle which has slightly improved accuracy and range. But it requires a bullfrog’s tongue to be made, which is weird

As another example of the Syndicate being angry at us, one of their scientists released a bunch of beasts into a city. Since Weasel Bunker was close by and the enemy was monsters, they were the ones I deployed

Zora: That’s a lot of Spikeboars.
Reasonable Achmed: Spikeboar spines are fired in an arc, like a bow. So if we hide under the ship we’ll be perfectly safe.

Reasonable Achmed: Okay that’s like… 9 Spikeboars and a Syndicate Scientist. I hurt plenty of them but none of them are dead

Berryjon: Thanks for softening them up for me. I’m… amazed I did that much with an assault rifle.

Idhrendur: These things are tough.
Remale: I mean, they’re like 4 times our size. You should kinda expect that.
Thatbastardken: I hope I get a kill this mission.

Remale: Hmm… The ship is gonna be dented after this.

Reasonable Achmed: The Spikeboars seem more interested in killing the citizens than us.

Bassmug: I thought the AP slug would deal more damage
Zore: Like the others are saying, these guys are tough. It took two sniper rifle bullets to take that one down.

Idhrendur: I got one!
Zore: Good job. Looks like this battle won’t take much longer

Remale: Whoops. We didn’t need the scientist alive, did we?
Reasonable Achmed: No… but she would have been nice to interrogate.

The squad cleaned this battle up very easily, although it wasn’t quick enough for a handful of civilians. It was also an excellent learning experience due to the large size of the Spikeboars making them great target practice.

The Psi-Amp is the most complex psychic weapon that we have. Ideally, it will allow our psychic soldiers to panic, or even mind-control enemy soldiers. However, the training to use the Psi-Amp is long-winded and difficult. Only one of our agents has even completed the basic training

(We won’t be using these for a long time, it takes between 30 and 60 days for a soldier to complete basic training, and then longer for them to gain Psi Skill. I don’t know how high they have to be to start mind-controlling people, but it’s definitely higher than 8)

I’m not exactly keen on training Minotaurs for our use, but it is possible that they could be useful. That requires capturing one alive though... I'm not sure if we'll get much use out of this

The Auxillary Thruster is a way to increase the evasive abilities of an interceptor. Relying entirely on evasion is a little risky, but dodging UFO fire is obviously ideal. This only works with certain advanced interceptors though

The Tactical Neural Implant is a lot harder to immediately use than Bio Enhancement. It takes a lot of physical and mental endurance to use, but when applied to an extremely good agent, it greatly enhances their reaction speed and accuracy

(I apply the TNI to everyone except Arcovic II. Arcovic II needs some more experience before I’ll give it to them)

No. We’re not dealing with more ghosts.

The Bloodhounds made by the Syndicate are very vicious and dangerous, even more than most of our dogs can be. Even with the Cyberarmor Gaspode is slower and weaker than a Bloodhound.

The visor is a different color.

… What else do you want me to say? It’s just a security captain. One step above normal Syndicate security

Since the Syndicate is currently battling us, we’re trying to cut through and study all the monsters we have captured, some or all of which are their fault. Here’s Mongorns.

We picked up a medium alien scout and shot it down. Naturally, Rat Hill’s ground troops were soon to follow.

Orange Sherbert: I’ve heard these are the most dangerous missions, the ones people usually die on.
Koorisch: Don’t worry too much, we’ve handled these before, and that was before we got the Cyber Armor suits and the Black Ops Smartguns.

Drake Sherrin: -sigh-
G255: Want me to take a swing at it?
Drake Sherrin: Yes, please

(Both of these shots were 100+ accuracy. But the rock said “No”)

Burnt Toast: Look at us all huddling in the smoke.
Michael Dukakis: Hey I wanted to fire my rocket launcher, but it would be a bad idea right now

Burnt Toast: Fair enough I guess. How’s the actual ship looking Dak?

Dak Thornson: Nothing on the outside I can see. They’re probably huddled inside

Micheal Dukakis: Oww!

Michael Dukakis: Hey fucker. Thought you could get away with shooting me, did you? Well, guess what? I have a Rocket Launcher!

Dak Thornson: First Sectoid has been taken care of, good luck in there

G255: He’s got some kind of Plasma Shotgun? That stings but ‘m fine.

Dak Thornson:...
G255:...
Plaintiff:... sorry.

Arcovic II: Don’t worry about it too much. It could have been much, much worse

I’m honestly kind of amazed. It’s rare that we have a mission involving the aliens go off without a hitch. Outside of Michael getting shot this one was painless.

More monster research! Giant Beetles are something that can’t exist under normal circumstances due to an inefficient system for moving oxygen and blood around it’s body. And that’s probably why it has Energetic Blood Plasma instead

I’ll confess, I freaked the hell out when I saw this. The Syndicate is targeting a Council Member? How did they find them? Is this to get back at us? Do they even know what they're dealing with? This is an extremely dangerous step for them to take, but it cements the fact that we have royally pissed them off. Although I personally think this is a mistake on their part. After we save this Council Member, they are going to be howling for Syndicate blood.

Ignoring this is not an option.

Burnt Toast: There’s a lot of enemies outside…
Orange Sherbert: Hoo… let’s get started

Orange Sherbert: I got one of them. There’s uh… a hell of a lot more.
Koorisch: Just take them down one at a time, the most dangerous one you can see first.

Koorisch: Oh they have Minotaurs here. That’s worrying. I think that’s an axe and a flamethrower.

G255: That’s two sniper rifle bullets. Wanna take a crack at it, Drake?
Drake Sherrin: Sure. The third time’s the charm.

Drakenel II: -bark bark-

Detective Gumshoe: Ugh… I wish I had a rifle.

The Second Badger: I feel like we’re making a lot of progress but there’s still a lot more of them.

Plaintiff: I can’t deny that I’m kinda nervous…

Arcovic II: The counterattack is gonna be brutal, I can feel it.

Council Commissioner: I’m just gonna… hide in this closet here…

Dak Thornson: How the hell did they throw a grenade in here?!
G255: Thank god the

George Gieff: Hehehe… You stepped too close.
Minotaur: -roars in pain-

G255: That guy… He’s got some kind of special armor. I think he might be Special Ops or something.

Drake Sherrin: We’re cutting through these people but there’s still more of them
Koorisch: How many of these people are gonna throw their lives away?

Burnt Toast: Hey Drakenel what’s up?
Drakenel II: -bark bark-
Burnt Toast: Yeah me too.

Orange Sherbert:... Thank god he missed the throw

Orange Sherbert: I think I softened up the Spec Ops guy.
G255: Apparently not enough, he’s still standing

Drakenel II: -snarling-
Burnt Toast: Good job Drakenel The Second, now run back.

Burnt Toast: There are lots of enemies on this side too. When you’re done on the other side we may need assistance over here.

Arcovic II: Sure, why not have more enemies?! When the hell are you gonna realize that you lost?!

Dak Thornson: Thanks doc.
Dr. Hugh Manual: You are welcome.

Plaintiff: AHH!!!

(Not shown, 2 grenades landing on the roof, 1 landing on the north side near Orange Sherbert, and 2 more landing in front of the building near where Drakenel II and Burnt Toast are)

Plaintiff: I’m alive… for now. Doc, I need help!

Dr. Hugh Manual: You will not be able to reach me, a civilian is blocking the room

Plaintiff: Wait… wait… I had that med spray

(I completely forgot I had this. It’s been sitting in our inventory for a very long time. Med sprays are useful, but as a consumable item they’re pretty expensive and if you use all 3 sprays you have to buy another one.)

Plaintiff: I’m gonna hide down here. Sorry guys but I’m not in any shape to fight

Burnt Toast: These guys are tough. 3 bullets wasn’t enough.

Drake Sherrin: I softened him up, you take him down
Koorisch: On it!

Orange Sherbert: I can’t help but feel like I made a terrible mistake… Oh well!

The Second Badger: I haven’t been calling attention to it. These bodyguards seem a bit… suicidal. This one is currently sandwiched between two Syndicate goons

Dak Thornson: Get the hell out of my way!
-Crunch-
Dr. Hugh Manual. Did you just-
Dak Thornson: No! He’ll be fine

Drakenel II: -Yelps in pain-

Drakenel II: -Barks in revenge-

Orange Sherbert: I’m in a bit of a tight spot
Dak Thornson: I kinda wish Michael wasn’t still recovering from that plasma burn. He would have loved to use a Rocket Launcher here

Dak Thornson: They… they’re panicking! All we need is one more push and we’ll break their spirit!

Orange Sherbert: The Supersoldier seems to think he can win!
Dak Thornson: He might be all that’s keeping their morale intact.

The Second Badger: Tell him I took out one of his supersoldier buddies and see what happens!

Now, I know the number of civilian casualties might look bad, however. I would like to remind you that the bodyguards were stupid, and several of them ran directly into the line of fire, with one of them even locking our doctor and squad leader in a room with his body.

We can only do so much to protect people from their own stupidity.

(Look at these gains!)

We acquired many guns and captured a bunch of surrendering enemies, we also brought the Councilmember back with us. They’ll have to be debriefed and sent to a safe house before they can return to doing council work.

We also had an absolute storm of medals to pass out. Most of which were very honorable. One of them uh… wasn’t.

(Congrats Dak. You punched someone so hard that they died. Have a medal.)

Can you believe it’s only been 8 days in March and we’ve already had so many problems with the Syndicate? They might be serious about declaring war on us, and in that case, let’s make sure they regret it

X-COM 40-90
(Just a mission I’m ignoring, don’t worry about it)

LPer Notes

Remember how we made the Syndicate mad? Yeah they’re really really mad This month is going to be brutal, and I’m considering moving a few people from Weasel Bunker to Rat Hill because I think the medbay might get filled up at this rate.

The Mansion Defense was an awesome but terrifying mission. There’s no real way to do it justice in screenshots, but know that every single soldier in our squad got a kill in that mission, and we were ducking and weaving into and out of cover turn by turn to stay alive. The top floor had windows we could fire from, and walls to hide behind. By the end of the mission, the walls were riddled with holes, and there were about a dozen smoke clouds from various grenades.

As I said it was awesome. The only annoying thing is that the Syndicate goons are highly resistant to kinetic weapons, and it would be great if we had say… lasers or plasma to point their way.

Psi Training is something I don't 100% understand, I don't know what the floors and ceilings are for Psi Strength and Psi Skill affecting the chances for panic and mind control. It takes somewhere between one and two months for someone to even begin gaining Psi Skill when training in the Psi lab, so we have a long road ahead of us before we can even start using the Psi-Amps. I also believe that being injured or going away on some other kind of training does take time away from Psi Training, although physical training does not.

I might have to consider turning Weasel Bunker into some kind of training base, and give it it's own Psi Lab so it can train psychics too.

I've been dragging my feet on transformations for a bit, but I think it's about time that I start seeing what I can do. I've also been thinking about it, I think I should make a Transformation Overview. So we can talk about them and how good they are as the game goes on

The Armory

The Dark Musket is just a little bit better than a Dart Rifle in basically every way. 5% more accurate, 5% more accurate in CQC, and it takes 2 more tiles before it begins taking range penalties. These bonuses are very small, but they are absolutely worth some bullfrog corpses.

I’m sure you know exactly what this is used for. This is how you use actual psychic attacks and it is going to be an incredibly useful tool. Once our best psychic doesn’t have single-digit Psi skill.

I’m not 100% sure how good 9% dodge is, considering that Hound Smith and Sunny already provide about that much dodge (in Sunny’s case more I think) but obviously having your ship not get shot is awesome.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
A solo defence doesn't count dogs right? More seriously a minotaur buddy cop investigation sounds hilarious. And that mansion defence looked crazy.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, that looked chaotic as h***. Well played!

is your cashflow enough to setup pure support bases? Just to use for research/manufacturing/etc? Leave a garrison of trainees present that you can rotate out to other bases as reinforcements as need, put them to continuous training otherwise?

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

wedgekree posted:

Yeah, that looked chaotic as h***. Well played!

is your cashflow enough to setup pure support bases? Just to use for research/manufacturing/etc? Leave a garrison of trainees present that you can rotate out to other bases as reinforcements as need, put them to continuous training otherwise?

Probably not this month, since I just got done constructing the Advanced Lab and then staffing it with another 25 scientists, but next month I could absolutely look into making extra support bases. Or just making that Weasel Bunker's role instead of secondary attack base

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the art they use for some of the enemies just gets more and more hilarious, with that many quillboars spawned, I'd almost think one of them was a superunique and I was playing a very strange Diablo 2 mod. Also the Bloodhound is literally a Hell Hound from Blood

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

From what I can remember, Psi skill is trained defense/subtlety in its function. Subtle uses of psi like panic and mind control. Psi power is the blatant, open use of psi you see from the flame glove, as well an innate defense. Obviously, high psi power and skill are wanted on the same guys, but even if you never had someone going to use psi gear at all, you still want them psi trained eventually at least for the small bit of defense it gives you. Think how the MIB are a pain in the rear end from their indoctrination. Same idea. I think the psi lab tops out at 50 psi skill.

Soldier (looked at armor vest for defense numbers)
100x.3 (33) current morale, 100x.2 (20) bravery, 0 psi power, 0x.4 skill has 53 psi defense
100x.3 (33) current morale, 100x.2 (20) bravery, 0 psi power, 50x.4 (20) skill has 73 psi defense
100x.3 (33) current morale, 100x.2 (20) bravery, 50 (50) psi power, 0x.4 skill has 103 psi defense
100x.3 (33) current morale, 100x.2 (20) bravery, 50 (50) psi power, 50x.4 (20) skill has 123 psi defense

Going from a pure benefit perspective, unless you are using psionics offensively, you might be better served putting your bad psion statted dudes through the training first just to harden em.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 28, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

Probably not this month, since I just got done constructing the Advanced Lab and then staffing it with another 25 scientists, but next month I could absolutely look into making extra support bases. Or just making that Weasel Bunker's role instead of secondary attack base

I think that a pure support base is a good idea. Make it your primary research/manufacturing hub and you can put a lot more specialized places you might not otherwise do there as you have space concerns at your primary bases. I have no idea if doing a purely manufacturing for profit scenario is good in this mod (hellloo Heavy Lasers) or not.

If you really feel like you need it stick a med lab there and for all your long term injured can be rotated there so you can free up the beds in your primary bases for folks who can return to action quicker. Basically leave a garrison of rookies at it and folks going through specialized training, and you can rotate them back into the field as necessity requires.

Admittedly this requires a few months of superheavy investment (building new base, building new, expensive facilities at said base, hiring the people to man said facilities at base) so probably takes up virtually all of your cash on hand for however long the construction period is. Plus the whole 'hiring specialists' bit.

... Okay that will probably take until the game is over at normal funding rates not counting the inevitable crisises that will occur...

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Aces High posted:

the art they use for some of the enemies just gets more and more hilarious, with that many quillboars spawned, I'd almost think one of them was a superunique and I was playing a very strange Diablo 2 mod. Also the Bloodhound is literally a Hell Hound from Blood

It rules lmao

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

wedgekree posted:

I think that a pure support base is a good idea. Make it your primary research/manufacturing hub and you can put a lot more specialized places you might not otherwise do there as you have space concerns at your primary bases. I have no idea if doing a purely manufacturing for profit scenario is good in this mod (hellloo Heavy Lasers) or not.

From what I remember, this mod doesn't do much profit from manufacturing so generally we won't get much money that way.

That said, there probably are some craftable items capable of giving us a passive income but I doubt we're there yet.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Sep 28, 2023

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

winterwerefox posted:

Going from a pure benefit perspective, unless you are using psionics offensively, you might be better served putting your bad psion statted dudes through the training first just to harden em.

I already have a few Psi Amps I made just out of curiosity, so I'm definitely going to get my money's worth on Psychic stuff eventually. We got really lucky with our Psychic agents honestly.

Although looking at those defense formulas I'm not sure how anyone ever gets mind controlled. Unless their morale tanks into the ground first. Enemies in general often have greatly inflated bravery stats.

Koorisch posted:

From what I remember, this mod doesn't do much profit from manufacturing so generally we won't get much money that way.

That said, there probably are some craftable items capable of giving us a passive income but I doubt we're there yet.

Hahaha... no. Not a chance. The most profitable items I can make right now will pay for.... about 30-40% of the Engineer's salary a month. The only exception to that is if I make certain items like Tritanium bullets which actually sell pretty well. But those require alien alloys, which we need for much, much more important projects, and you bet that if I make Alien Alloys via a foundry that would prevent me from making a profit on the Tritanium bullets.

wedgekree posted:

If you really feel like you need it stick a med lab there and for all your long term injured can be rotated there so you can free up the beds in your primary bases for folks who can return to action quicker. Basically leave a garrison of rookies at it and folks going through specialized training, and you can rotate them back into the field as necessity requires.

I probably can do that, either to Weasel Bunker, or my choice of the Fox Den or Kangaroo Cave. Just add in some extra facilities (bio lab, Intel lab, and prison/alien containment) to handle certain research projects as well as a Gym and Psionics lab for any agents who train there.

Once I have the money.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I'm starting to think that the reason that the Syndicate Mansion assault had so many NPCs is so the Syndicate could keep their morale up by killing civilians. Well, that and the natural morale bonus that comes from having extremely high-tier troops on your side.

I'm saying this because in our next couple of clashes with the Syndicate, their morale just goes bye-bye and the only ones that even have a chance of keeping their cool are the supersoldiers and Minotaur. Oh yeah, the "Syndicate is pissed" event has more missions coming than just fighting in the mansion. I've actually already done them and they weren't as bad as I expected, although they absolutely could have been

I think when I get the chance I am going to do a "Transformation Overview" where we can talk shop about the transformations, where they came from and how useful they are. Just to provide some context for when I talk about it in the updates, and also because it will help me organize my scatterbrain thoughts

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
So, to horribly word this, the Syndicate would be chuuni edglelords, who up to this point thought they were top poo poo and could back it up their words and actions, but then start losing their poo poo once we started effectively punching their faces in and showing we're actually competent as gently caress.

"Tch, these Syndicate bastards are a pain in the rear end, but I can, in some odd way, respect their perseverance."

"OH poo poo, OH gently caress! THIS NEW BLACK OPS GROUP IS ACTUALLY KICKING OUR rear end! WE ARE hosed!" :screamy:

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gilgamesh255 posted:

So, to horribly word this, the Syndicate would be chuuni edglelords, who up to this point thought they were top poo poo and could back it up their words and actions, but then start losing their poo poo once we started effectively punching their faces in and showing we're actually competent as gently caress.

"Tch, these Syndicate bastards are a pain in the rear end, but I can, in some odd way, respect their perseverance."

"OH poo poo, OH gently caress! THIS NEW BLACK OPS GROUP IS ACTUALLY KICKING OUR rear end! WE ARE hosed!" :screamy:
See, all of the civilians and mansion guards presented the illusion that they were doing well. Even though none of our agents died, they could rest easy knowing that they managed to kill plenty of guards and deal lasting damage.

When it's just us, they become painfully aware of how much better we are than them

For what it's worth, Syndicate Security forces are statistically weaker than army soldiers, and their Security Captain is about on par. Their super soldiers are much, much stronger though. And their armor is better overall. It's just that, you know. Our elite agents are even better than their super soldiers, we have Cyber Armor, and we're packing Black Ops Smartguns

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
Transformation Overview

Transformations are something that you can perform with an agent to enhance their statistics, and enact certain special changes on them. The early game transformations are pretty basic, stuff like Bio Enhancement which boosts physical stats, or Combat Pilot Training which boosts several stats that are generically useful. By the end of the game we will be capable of taking human agents and making them monstrously powerful, so look forward to that.

Generally speaking, a transformation will have a money cost as well as potentially costing items. The agent will be out of action for a period of time, either a recovery period they wait out in the med bay, or they leave your employ for a period of time to complete the training. This generally doesn't matter, but I think advanced medical facilities may increase recovery speed slightly.

I'm going to go through the Transformations we have one by one and discuss them in detail. The cost, where we got them, the effects, so on and so on. I'll probably keep updating this

Acquired by: Red Dawn Bio Enhancement + Advanced Medicine + Storm +Xcom Bio Enhancement

The first four enemy cults you face in the game each have an enhancement tied to them. You can get these in any order depending on your research path. But if you had to pick one to go for first, I would suggest Bio Enhancement from Red Dawn. Bio Enhancement costs $20,000, requires a med bay, and puts an Agent in the med bay for 4 days. It requires an agent with decent physical stats, at least 60 Stamina, 40 Health, and 35 Strength. In exchange, the agent receives 5 Time Units, 15 Health, 15 Stamina, and 10 Strength at the cost of 10 Sanity

Bio Enhancement is a transformation that I consider necessary for an agent to excel. The training cap for an Agent's physical stats is already really, really close to the requirements for Bio Enhancement. So an Agent that is eligible for Bio Enhancement is already at the limits of human fitness, and pulling the trigger is enough to push them over the edge into the supernatural.

Acquired By: EXALT Operations + Parapsychology + Psiclone

Gun Kata is EXALT's transformation, and it's a really straightforward one. It costs $5,000, one unit of Psiclone, and requires the use of a Gym as the agent trains for 12 days. The agent must have 60 firing accuracy or more, and gains 5 Reactions, and 10 Firing accuracy at the cost of 10 sanity. They also gain an additional 5 Firing Accuracy that can go past the stat caps.

Gun Kata is a training type that depends on the agent a bit. An elite agent may have already hit the stat cap for accuracy and really does not need any more aim. But an Agent who is in the sweet spot of 75-85 Accuracy can use this training to ram directly into the accuracy cap without needing to roll the die on gaining accuracy on missions.

Acquired by: Dagon Morph + Parapsychology + Advanced Medicine

I'm not 100% sure what the point of Dagonization is. It costs $15,000, has a 3-day recovery period, and requires the service of a med bay. Any agent with 40 Bravery or more can undertake the process to trade 20 sanity in exchange for 1 armor, +1 night vision, and 5 Psi Strength.

Now, all of those stats are wonderful to have, especially since the bonus armor stacks with all other worn armor. But the bonuses are so small that I can't see them changing the tide of battle. The only reason I can see to take it would be if you wanted someone to hit maximum PSI strength, or if you needed to hit a certain PSI strength threshold and the agent was just a few points below it.

Acquired by: Ninja Scroll + Black Lotus Assassin + Parapsychology = Ninja Arts

Martial Arts Training is one of the hardest transformations to qualify for. 60 Time units, 70 Stamina, 55 Throwing Accuracy, 65 Melee Accuracy, 30 Psi Strength, and 70 Sanity are required to undertake this training. Then it takes $2,000 dollars and 13 days for an agent to complete their training.

The agent who completes this training gets 5 Time Units, 10 Stamina, 10 Reactions, 10 Throwing Accuracy and 15 Melee Accuracy. But that's the normal part of the training. As a bonus, they also get 5 more Time Units, 5 Reactions, 5 Throwing Accuracy, and 10 Melee Accuracy which I believe ignores the stat caps.

Actually qualifying for Martial Arts Training is a bit difficult because the melee accuracy requirements are above the training cap. An agent must train their melee accuracy by using melee weapons to qualify for Martial Arts Training. The results are absolutely worth it though.

Acquired by: Promotion III + Advanced Flight Training.

Combat Pilot Training is an early to mid-game transformation acquired by researching Advanced Flight Training after reaching Promotion III. Is is very basic, requiring an agent with 40 Bravery, 50 Reactions, and 50 Sanity, as well as $15,000 and 5 days off duty to train. In exchange, the soldier receives 10 Bravery, Reactions, and Firing Accuracy

Combat Pilot Training can't break stat caps, so an agent who is already well-trained has no need for it. But the cost is so small that any agent who meets the requirements may as well do it for the minor stat bonuses.

Acquired by: Subculture: Luchadores + Mutant Physiology + Energetic Blood Plasma + They Are Breeding Zombie Report

Blood Boosting sucks. $8,000, 5 Energetic Blood Plasma, a med bay, and 6 days of recovery later, and one of your agents can become super jacked at the cost of long-term viability. Any agent with 50 bravery and 45 sanity can trade 20 bravery, 30 PSI skill, and 30 Sanity to gain a spread of stats. 10 Time Units, 10 Health, 5 Reactions, 10 Strength, and 5 Melee Accuracy.

Not only is the trade not worth it, but Blood Boosting also prevents the agent from undergoing Dagonization, Gun Kata, Martial Arts Training, and a couple of other transformations. I guess if you had an agent you know would never amount to anything psychically you could use this and Bio Enhancement to make them incredibly buff right out the gate, but it would still hurt their long-term viability

Acquired by: Cyberweb Brain Implant + Zombie Trooper Implant + Advanced Robotics

Making use of a TNI costs $70,000 with 40K being the construction of the actual implant and the remaining 30K being for the installation. The agent requires 50 Bravery and Reactions and will be out of commission in the med bay for 2 days. In exchange for 10 Sanity, they gain 20 Reactions, 10 Firing Accuracy, 5 Melee Accuracy, and 5 Throwing accuracy.

Installing a TNI is a pretty great transformation just because the requirements are very low, and the bonuses are great. High reactions are hard to train if you don't let your agents end turns with TUs to spare to take reaction fire. Which is something I usually don't do because I'm always afraid to let the enemy make the first move. The bonuses to the other accuracy types are just a nice bonus.

Acquired by: Optronics + Lightcycling

Weirdly enough I believe this transformation is completely free. Which is odd to me. Anyway, this can take any AI unit and take them out of commission for two days in exchange for gaining 10 Reactions, 10 Firing Accuracy, 10 Melee Accuracy, and 5 Throwing Accuracy. I don't know why half of these bonuses are on the list but why not?

It's literally free, so there's no reason not to. Either use it immediately to make an AI unit easier to train or later so an AI Unit can ram right into the Accuracy cap.

Acquired by: Bloodhound + Advanced Medicine + Bio Lab

This is the first transformation we can get to target our X-COM Doggos. It costs $5,000 and 1 Durathread while putting our pooch in recovery for 10 days. In exchange, the dog gains 5 armor at all times.

5 armor may not seem like a lot and in the grand scheme of things it isn't. But having that added to a dog at all times might be the difference between life and death. Cybersuit armor with a +5 armor has a decent chance of deflecting bullets, and I would expect the dog to survive at least 1 laser

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 30, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An agent with Ninja Arts can do wonderful and terrifying things. Things that can get them awards like Whirlwind. It is the way mere humans can surpass the power of dog.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

An agent with Ninja Arts can do wonderful and terrifying things. Things that can get them awards like Whirlwind. It is the way mere humans can surpass the power of dog.

But what about... ninja dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, Transformations are great because they make your somewhat meh troops into something to be feared, as shown from the last mission with The Syndicate.

I never used Dagonization because I felt like the Sanity loss was way too much after using many of the other types on a soldier.