Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Honestly the assumption that everyone dislikes her and it must be her appearance... that feels very weird to me

I did not get that impression at all. Unless you're including affect, tone, communication style, and behavior in "appearance"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

people don't like venus because her personalty is abrasive hth

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do even pre jury people stay over in Fiji until it's all over? Jelensky had just been on a really long vacation at this point?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Do even pre jury people stay over in Fiji until it's all over? Jelensky had just been on a really long vacation at this point?

Pre-jury vote outs used to stay in Ponderosa until jury started, and then got a trip until the end of filming. In the new era they just get sent home right away.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
The thing is, a lot of people do like Venus. She just posted photos on twitter of her hanging out with Jemila, Moriah, and Kellie from 45. Heidi from 44 has posted photos with her, supporting her, multiple times. People from other seasons seem to love her. It's just the really vocal, charismatic people from this season that hated her. She seems like a really fun person outside of the show.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

SteveVizsla posted:

She seems like a really fun person outside of the show.

This is my impression of her too, full of youthful confidence and probably a good time at a dinner party. Not a great Survivor contestant, or at the very least got a brutal edit.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Voodoofly posted:

Venus is like 20 right? She came across exactly like a smart 20 year old who thinks they have everything in the bag. Honestly she acred less of a cocky twenty year old than Carson last year. But she is also a woman.

And don’t get me wrong I don’t want to spend even a couple of days with a cocky twenty year old so I can totally imagine why people would get tired of her.

Edit: holy poo poo she is 25???? Ok then nevermind I would have bet my life savings she was super young.
Carson was super good at being unassuming little Carson to the other players actually, even if maybe he seemed cocky in confessionals. but socially, he was excelling, kind of the opposite of Venus, who was extremely direct with people, like when she just called out Maria with something like "you gave me kind of a non-committal answer, I take it that means you're not interested in doing this." Like that's a solid read but who ever just says it lol

I think Venus is probably a fine enough person to deal with in normal circumstances but am sure she had her part in annoying her castmates, and I'm not sure she's really learned from it. Eager to see her in s50 and see if she's the new Abi Maria.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 13, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Venus is not tactful, not good at reading a room. She is the complete social opposite of Charlie

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Have the last episode of Cook Islands left. Yul is such a good cast member for the viewer. He tells us and the rest of the cast exactly how things are going down and why.

I asked when they switched how the hidden idol worked and I see maybe why it was after this season. He can just say out loud that he has it and it's this huge deterrent since others would have to figure out how to vote for him once knowing the second person would go but then also retain the strategy for next vote hoping that he doesn't win one.

In addition to getting ready of the touch another survivor challenges I see that they also got rid of really any swimming today. Ozzy dominates in the water and some are terrible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Charlie is my guy. Get to the final three please.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

KingKapalone posted:

Have the last episode of Cook Islands left. Yul is such a good cast member for the viewer. He tells us and the rest of the cast exactly how things are going down and why.

I asked when they switched how the hidden idol worked and I see maybe why it was after this season. He can just say out loud that he has it and it's this huge deterrent since others would have to figure out how to vote for him once knowing the second person would go but then also retain the strategy for next vote hoping that he doesn't win one.

In addition to getting ready of the touch another survivor challenges I see that they also got rid of really any swimming today. Ozzy dominates in the water and some are terrible.

Yeah, it was super compelling television to watch the Aitu 4 completely dominate the game after suffering from Candice and Penner's mutiny (I will never understand why Candice was called back to play for not just a second time, but a third time as well). But that never would have happened without Yul's super idol.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, it was super compelling television to watch the Aitu 4 completely dominate the game after suffering from Candice and Penner's mutiny (I will never understand why Candice was called back to play for not just a second time, but a third time as well). But that never would have happened without Yul's super idol.

Well the third time it's literally because she and a partner were available on short notice when RC's dad failed medical. Season 20...I don't know man.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Leatherhead posted:

Well the third time it's literally because she and a partner were available on short notice when RC's dad failed medical. Season 20...I don't know man.

I know it's been discussed before, with season 20, at the time, Jeff tried incredibly hard to sell her as a Hero, claiming that when she mutinied, it was just because she was just trying to get back to her old alliance.

Later it came out that she was indeed originally cast on the Villains tribe, but they decided at the last minute that there were too many people from Micronesia on the Heroes tribe, so they swapped Candice and Parvati.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Nihonniboku posted:

On S27 she was an alternate and got called a day or two before shooting started, which is why she got targeted so fast by everyone else who had already pregamed hard.

Probably a similar story in S20.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Nihonniboku posted:

Later it came out that she was indeed originally cast on the Villains tribe, but they decided at the last minute that there were too many people from Micronesia on the Heroes tribe, so they swapped Candice and Parvati.

:stare: Wow, that's one hell of a counterfactual to ponder

Spitballing: I think Hero Parvati gets eliminated pretty quick, pretty much everyone was terrified of her from day 1 and Russell wouldn't be around to work with her. Meanwhile, Russell probably doesn't have the numbers to win the Villain civil war without Parvati helping him out, so if he makes it to the merge at all it's probably by himself. Which leaves us with Survivor season 20-X winner Boston Rob, maybe?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

AndrewP posted:

Venus is not tactful, not good at reading a room. She is the complete social opposite of Charlie

I disagree. People have hated her, for no real given reason, since the very start. Why be tactful if you know people are just dragging you along and there's no way you're winning?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Spitballing: I think Hero Parvati gets eliminated pretty quick, pretty much everyone was terrified of her from day 1 and Russell wouldn't be around to work with her. Meanwhile, Russell probably doesn't have the numbers to win the Villain civil war without Parvati helping him out, so if he makes it to the merge at all it's probably by himself. Which leaves us with Survivor season 20-X winner Boston Rob, maybe?

Rob probably still wouldn't win. Despite being a Survivor "legend", he is actually pretty bad at playing the game when playing against people with half a brain

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Rob probably still wouldn't win. Despite being a Survivor "legend", he is actually pretty bad at playing the game when playing against people with half a brain

they organized a boston rob blindside non-verbally in WAW it ruled

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

non sequitar, remembering tina wesson was a ball away from winning Blood vs Water

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Everyone wants Rob and I can't figure out for the life of me why. He's already won, his wife has won, he comes across as an rear end in a top hat in confessionals and as others have said, anyone with half a brain would get rid of him ASAP.

I saw this same phenomenon when Coach came back, his tribe treated him like a god yet he acted pretty stupid.

I'd love to see someone like King George to join though I don't think Jeff would allow/like that. Although it'd be funny as poo poo watching George get wrecked on the physical challenges in the US.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Nihonniboku posted:

Wasn't Natalie Bolton also literally in early cast photos instead of Candice, with them having to take the cast photos again after the season started because they shuffled her out, Parv to Villains, and Candice into Heroes?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/1cr8ede/comment/l3x1p13/

What a legend

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Australian Survivor is doing an Australia vs America season!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Polderjoch posted:

Wasn't Natalie Bolton also literally in early cast photos instead of Candice, with them having to take the cast photos again after the season started because they shuffled her out, Parv to Villains, and Candice into Heroes?

Huh I never knew about this:
https://twitter.com/DaltonRoss/status/869212986044502016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Finished Cook Islands so I could finally look up Yul on LinkedIn. Quite a career he's had. Funny that he's now definitely making over a million a year as a VP of Product at Google.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

It's pretty interesting how late it changed, from what the other on-set alternates said they apparently got shuffled the day before, with each team having both a male and female alternate on-site. I believe that aside from Candice for Villains, it was Kenny from Gabon as the male villains alt, and Twila from Vanuatu and Erik from Micro as the heroes alts. Pretty crazy that in some other world HvV would've had 6 Micronesia players though.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

STING 64 posted:

non sequitar, remembering tina wesson was a ball away from winning Blood vs Water

I will, to this day, go to the mat for Tina being a massively underrated winner and extremely good at the game in a way she doesn't get credit for. Phenomenal social game especially in an era where the idea didn't really exist.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Tina was ice cold in Australia and anyone who thinks otherwise needs media literacy training

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Tina is the original ice queen.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mp5 posted:

Tina was ice cold in Australia and anyone who thinks otherwise needs media literacy training

Yeah, I rewatched the entire series during the pandemic, and Australia is one that definitely did not hold up as well. Watching it immediately after season 1, it was pretty clear that the season was very much a response to season 1, which many of the viewers thought the idea of alliances and Richard Hatch winning to be distasteful. Season 2 was all about how there were no alliances, and that they felt that only the most deserving people should make it to the end.

But it became pretty clear that their definition of deserving people were Christians. They claimed that there were no alliances, but there definitely was a dominant alliance, if not in name, based on whether you were deemed to be a good Christian or not. Tina would bold faced lie to people, while talking about wanting to play the game with honesty, but justify it because they were not good people in her eyes. The final group were incredibly self-righteous, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tina did pretty well on BvV but Tyson has pretty much had nothing but bad things to say about her. I don't think she was a social queen that second time out, like she did a lot of berating of people for not doing what she wanted.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

Australian Survivor is doing an Australia vs America season!!

The news in question:
https://insidesurvivor.com/australian-survivor-planning-australia-vs-usa-season-with-survivor-legends-57299

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I rewatched the entire series during the pandemic, and Australia is one that definitely did not hold up as well. Watching it immediately after season 1, it was pretty clear that the season was very much a response to season 1, which many of the viewers thought the idea of alliances and Richard Hatch winning to be distasteful. Season 2 was all about how there were no alliances, and that they felt that only the most deserving people should make it to the end.

But it became pretty clear that their definition of deserving people were Christians. They claimed that there were no alliances, but there definitely was a dominant alliance, if not in name, based on whether you were deemed to be a good Christian or not. Tina would bold faced lie to people, while talking about wanting to play the game with honesty, but justify it because they were not good people in her eyes. The final group were incredibly self-righteous, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

The best part of that though is Colby then basically having to eat poo poo and hand the win to Tina because he couldn't spoil his image by taking Keith the goat.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Going to watch China next. Have seen Pearl and Cook Islands. Going to watch Micronesia after that. That cover enough of the people?

Want to gear up for HvV after that. I hear to watch Samoa before that. Don't think I want to watch any of the pre-All Stars seasons, but can if absolutely necessary. Any others?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

Going to watch China next. Have seen Pearl and Cook Islands. Going to watch Micronesia after that. That cover enough of the people?

Want to gear up for HvV after that. I hear to watch Samoa before that. Don't think I want to watch any of the pre-All Stars seasons, but can if absolutely necessary. Any others?

You'll have some context missing on Micronesia if you haven't seen Vanuatu, but it's not important.

Along with Samoa, Tocantins before HvV. It's an all-time great and has a bunch of important players.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Vanuatu’s pre merge is weak but the post merge is top tier Survivor

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KqDHFYcel8

Colby did a funny guest spot on Curb after Survivor.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

KingKapalone posted:

Along with the recommendation for Vanuatu, Panama is weird and great and leads into both Micronesia and HvV. It's one of the stranger seasons and I think it's pretty underrated overall. I'd rather watch it than Samoa leading into HvV (but I know I am overridden on this).

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Tina did pretty well on BvV but Tyson has pretty much had nothing but bad things to say about her. I don't think she was a social queen that second time out, like she did a lot of berating of people for not doing what she wanted.

Does Tyson say good things about people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Another Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KqDHFYcel8

Colby did a funny guest spot on Curb after Survivor.
LMFAO