Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kane
Seth
Kane
Frank Klepacki
An Almost-Dead Grenadier
Pistol-Armed Civilian
View Results

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Whelp, once again, good timing on posts for me, yay!

Anyway, NOD 1 looked to be a nice and simple, yet still good map. NOD "removing" civilians might have been done before, but at least this map gave a new twist to it with the fleeing civilians and having to hunt them down if they escape. If I had to guess, the civilians would gather at the flare spot, allowing the artillery to snipe them. As for the map, as said, nice and simple, with your attack force being more then capable to handle things, with only the Mammoth being any challenge. Good start NOD PSX.

And yet what a sad end, man NOD 2 was a lazy level. Almost an exact retread of Bad Neighborhood in general layout and pretty much a carbon copy of NOD main campaign mission 8 in premise. The tech level for GDI is even the same, just minus Orcs and up a few AGT and a Mammoth. Heck, even the base layout was poor, with everything major easily captured via engi drop. The only OK thing, the reasonable Tiberium fields, is even diminished by the AI going for your fields over the giant one up north. Just such a disappointing map to end TD off on, such a shame.

Oh well, now onto one of my favorite C&Cs, Red Alert 1. Never played the expansions for it, but I know the main campaigns almost by heart due to the number of times I ran through em.

EDIT: And starting a new page off as well, joy. Final C&C TD updates on the bottom of the previous page.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ill show off the map at some point. I tried playing it but I couldnt be bothered.

Probably the worst C&C map I've ever played :/

Just show off the map in the editor, don't play it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lynneth posted:

Just show off the map in the editor, don't play it.

That's my intention. I'd rather not spend the (probably) required 2 hours to get through it for absolutely no payoff.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Man, if you're worried about burn out just play the PC versions only and maybe just summary post the differences for Consoles.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zip! posted:

Man, if you're worried about burn out just play the PC versions only and maybe just summary post the differences for Consoles.

The only other console game left after this is Retaliation for the Playstation, so there shouldn't be any issue on that end. The "last" mission for PSX Tiberian Dawn is just dumb and I question why its included at all.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
It reads as an in-joke or someone pissed at their boss to me.
or
"Hey we've got a meg left on the disc, fill it with something"

Plek fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 7, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only other console game left after this is Retaliation for the Playstation, so there shouldn't be any issue on that end. The "last" mission for PSX Tiberian Dawn is just dumb and I question why its included at all.

Both C&C3 and RA3 got console versions, although I don't know if they got any special missions for them.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Good job getting through the wofirst one! :toot:

RA was where I was introduced to the series. It's been ages and I'm looking forward to it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Plek posted:

It reads as an in-joke or someone pissed at their boss to me.
or
"Hey we've got a meg left on the disc, fill it with something"

I assume the one about being pissed at their boss but it doesn't make it any better to play.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Both C&C3 and RA3 got console versions, although I don't know if they got any special missions for them.

Yeah, I don't believe anything else in the series (Post-RA1) gets exclusive content.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, I don't believe anything else in the series (Post-RA1) gets exclusive content.
They did, however, get an utterly idiotic control scheme. My hat's off to anyone who actually managed to beat either on controller.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

anilEhilated posted:

They did, however, get an utterly idiotic control scheme. My hat's off to anyone who actually managed to beat either on controller.

I played the C&C3 demo back in the day on 360 and thought it controlled pretty well (for a console RTS).

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Actually with C&C:3 Kane's Wrath there is a console exclusive mode.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Congratulations on powering through! That seemed like a massive effort, and you delivered so much content in such a short time, really incredible work.

I find the version histories of these early games fascinating. Wish we could have seen more of the N64 in motion, but you can't do everything, it's quite nice that someone cared enough to port all the console exclusive missions over to PC, though! Wonder if they thought people who already had the game on PC would buy the other versions as well, with the main selling point besides...uh...different graphics (on N64) being those extra missions? And why are the PSX and N64 missions different? Also, why did they even MAKE the N64 version in loving 1999?

I first played C&C games at a friend's, who was pretty obsessed with video games, and had enabling parents, so he owned every console and so many loving games. He did in fact have Red Alert both on PC and PSX, and we sometimes played it on console. I might be wrong, but was there splitscreen multiplayer? That might have been the one way for us to play against each other, so that would be an argument. Unless I misremember.
Tiberian Sun was out at that point already, so Red Alert always felt like a step back to me, but it was still kinda cool. He also had Dawn but agreed that it was basically a novelty at that point. We're talking about the late 90s here, by the way; I met him in 5th grade, so it was 1998 at its earliest. The N64 version of Dawn didn't even exist when we had already decided that it was horribly outdated and barely playable!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 7, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i cant believe kane is loving dead

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I should make the next thread vote a choice between being crushed to death by rubble or ion cannon'ed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Pfft getting crushed by falling debris is for basic bitches.

Kane deserves better.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I should make the next thread vote a choice between being crushed to death by rubble or ion cannon'ed.
Kane died like he lived - in a glorious pillar of light as the heavens themselves bore witness to his strength.

I can't believe Kane is loving dead, though.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Kane died like he lived - in a glorious pillar of light as the heavens themselves bore witness to his strength.

I can't believe Kane is loving dead, though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, rip.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

inscrutable horse posted:

Wasn't this one of the maps in the demo, way back when? I remember me and my best friend could never complete it, and the layout looks awfully familiar.

Not quite! In the demo you start out with a couple of mammoth tanks but have a reduced tech tree (iirc). The biggest difference however is that it had a third path to the south in the center.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Kane dying is just the price of the most popular and memorable C&C character, Sheppard, continuing to hold the spotlight forevermore.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Broken Box posted:

Kane dying is just the price of the most popular and memorable C&C character, Carter, continuing to hold the spotlight forevermore.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

We never saw Carter's body :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

We never saw Carter's body :colbert:

Exactly, that's why he is with us forever.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That One Mission That Literally SUX

This is the map for the mission PATSUX. Yeah, its actually called that.

The briefing is as follows:

quote:

You have just been laid off without a month's pay from Weirdis. Your former bosses have hired the Frankekiiii mercenaries to protect them. You and eleven other former employees are to build a base and wipe them out!

We have made special modifications to your Orcas to aid you in your quest for justice.

Neither WIKI I use for more information has a page on PATSUX. Suffice to say, it seems that "PAT" didn't pay some of his staff and that "SUX". I did a very limited google search and I couldn't find anything hits on "WEIRDIS", although it could be a deliberate misspelling of "Eidos" :shrug: Someone get Guru Larry on the case.

Oh, and I think the Orcas shoot Obelisk lasers, at a slow rate. I could be miss-remembering, but this map is boring and tedious and I don't care for it one bit.

Is there any reason to ever play it? Nope, but it exists, and now you're also cursed with this knowledge.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

That map looks goddamn miserable, especially if they actually send those forces after you to gently caress with you as you build up. At least it doesn't look like they have any kind of production facilities so they can't pump out more but breaking through that defensive line is madness.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

On the positive side you'd be attacking the base from the south, so at least you have the range advantage on the obelisks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chronische posted:

That map looks goddamn miserable, especially if they actually send those forces after you to gently caress with you as you build up. At least it doesn't look like they have any kind of production facilities so they can't pump out more but breaking through that defensive line is madness.

They've got no production, but its just lame and tedious and I won't even bother playing it. There's no special cutscene, obviously.

Oh and THREAD VOTE

:siren::siren:

TOP OR BOTTOM?

LEFT OR RIGHT?

One of these is a "correct" aspect ratio that is stretched, the other is a "proper" square-pixel ratio.

Edit: I know its hard to tell the difference, the most notable thing it affects is the map.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Left is stretched but "correct"

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 7, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Go with the one on the right.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 7, 2019

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If there was a modern internet map-making community around Tiberian Dawn it would probably be split between levels that absolutely need you to use the sandbag trick and levels that somehow make the sandbag trick impossible.

I am looking forward to Red Alert. The only C&C game I finished was the original one. I played the hilariously censored German release of Red Alert, but I don't even remember if I finished it. And by the time the third one came out I wasn't in the mood for RTS.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Chronische posted:

The trick would be to do flybys of the SAM sites and ion cannon each one as it opens. Then wipe out the rest from the air.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That One Mission That Literally SUX

This is the map for the mission PATSUX. Yeah, its actually called that.

The briefing is as follows:

Neither WIKI I use for more information has a page on PATSUX. Suffice to say, it seems that "PAT" didn't pay some of his staff and that "SUX". I did a very limited google search and I couldn't find anything hits on "WEIRDIS", although it could be a deliberate misspelling of "Eidos" :shrug: Someone get Guru Larry on the case.

Oh, and I think the Orcas shoot Obelisk lasers, at a slow rate. I could be miss-remembering, but this map is boring and tedious and I don't care for it one bit.

Is there any reason to ever play it? Nope, but it exists, and now you're also cursed with this knowledge.

On top of everything else it looks like there's no tiberium tree in that field so you've got limited resources as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Loxbourne posted:

The trick would be to do flybys of the SAM sites and ion cannon each one as it opens. Then wipe out the rest from the air.

Stealth Tanks and Rocket Soldiers though

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

For nostalgia reasons, I gotta go with the left/"correct" pixels. It just doesn't look right otherwise. :goleft:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Right/'wrong' for me.
Also, jesus, that mission. That just looks like a punishment to play.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Right or whichever one is unstretched.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS

Kibayasu posted:

On top of everything else it looks like there's no tiberium tree in that field so you've got limited resources as well.

All you need to do is just sandbag the top row of tiberium for future use and when low, stop your harvesters, sell the sandbags, set the gamespeed to maximum, and then iirc press the r key to open a dialog box to abandon the mission.
For whatever reason the game doesn't pause with that box open but since it also doesn't have to draw any new frames the gamespeed goes into hyperdrive so you can get a full field (or the entire map covered in tiberium) in a couple realtime minutes!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Left looks a lot better on the buildings (and vehicles, but you haven't shown it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Left because it looks a lot more as what I remember.