Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
This is probably really weird but I can't find too much good info on Google. Is it possible for dogs to be hermaphrodites? If so, do they suffer any extra danger?

Like 2 weeks ago we rescued a puppy from the street that some rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo was kicking. She was infested with ticks and has a serious skin condition. Anyhow, the ticks have been taken care of, and the skin condition is clearing up somewhat but it is still very itchy. A few days ago while playing with her we flipped her on her back and saw what appeared to be two testicles on her stomach, near her vulva. I haven't been able to take her to the vet again since her parasite treatment, so I am wondering if this is something of urgency or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

This is probably really weird but I can't find too much good info on Google. Is it possible for dogs to be hermaphrodites? If so, do they suffer any extra danger?

Like 2 weeks ago we rescued a puppy from the street that some rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo was kicking. She was infested with ticks and has a serious skin condition. Anyhow, the ticks have been taken care of, and the skin condition is clearing up somewhat but it is still very itchy. A few days ago while playing with her we flipped her on her back and saw what appeared to be two testicles on her stomach, near her vulva. I haven't been able to take her to the vet again since her parasite treatment, so I am wondering if this is something of urgency or not.

Though uncommon, it is definitely possible. Do you have a picture?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Medieval Medic posted:

I've heard that they may be more at risk of developing cancer in their reproductive organs, so it's a good idea to get them neutered. Other issues might depend on the individual dog and the type of hermaphroditism. Some can have other internal issues, others don't...

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Medieval Medic posted:

We just had a dog come in with what we thought would be a surgery for one retained testicle (only one had dropped) and they found an ovary. Kind of cool. But yeah, I'd definitely get everything checked out soon.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Dad just texted me, someone dropped off 5 Ridgeback puppies at the shelter this morning. Anyone know much about them that can give me some details on them? Google is giving me really bad conflicting info. Mostly I want to know their predisposition to dog aggression (this would be an only dog, but I've got 2 of my own), I told them to get a male over a female since females tend to develop same sex aggression easier, yes? Any other red flags I should know about? My parents have a quarter acre of land, and had a beagle before but she died last year.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I have a friend with a ridgeback, and the dog is wonderful. Smart. Athletic. Sensitive. Settles easily. Can be hiked with off leash. Gets along well with other dogs. I also know of other ridgebacks who are so dog aggressive (and who have non-dog savvy owners) that they can only be walked in the middle of the night when they're not likely to run into other dogs.

They're large, powerful and may not be particularly biddable. Don't mistake them for a lab. But with that said, they don't strike me as a particularly difficult breed.

With the pups being mysteries, your dad may be in for some trouble as the dog matures, but it's hard to tell. If he does want to pick up a puppy, go for a pup who's quiet without being fearful. Avoid the more rambunctious puppies and the ones who are off blazing their own trails already. I would pick a dog based on personality and not sex. Though I do like the finer frames of the females.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

a life less posted:

they don't strike me as a particularly difficult breed.

In general, they aren't if you're up for a huntin' dog and you don't mind an off-leash buddy who might tell you to get hosed and lead you on a 5 mile goosechase because a rabbit once peed on a spot 2 days ago. Most the folks I know with ridgebacks keep them leashed because of that.

Get a boy puppy. Show him the boundaries. Use positive reinforcement (sensitive can't be overstated enough). Drill recall into that pup's head from the first training lesson you give it. Socialization is a big deal with ridgebacks but even if you do it some of them will never, ever give a poo poo about strangers and practically roll all over your lap instead. They're fantastic dogs but like ALL said, don't think they're a lab or "just any ol huntin' dog" because that's the fastest way in the world to ruin one.

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
Thank you very much! My dad's been wanting a dog super bad since their last one died. Mostly as a running partner and to fill the empty nest (my sister & I have moved out, I'll also make sure to make them wait a year on the running). I would say my parents are okay dog owners leaning to overly affectionate. They don't use negative reinforcement really (they'll bop my dogs on the nose if they get in the trash, but that's about it) and they'll walk them every day for hours & socialize with my dogs. Mostly I was just worried about dog aggression but I know it's kinda a crap shoot with that. I just wonder if being a more "lax" trainer is worse than a too strict trainer with these dogs...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

moechae posted:

(they'll bop my dogs on the nose if they get in the trash, but that's about it)

Doing that with a ridgeback is a bad idea. They're dumb, sensitive little flowers that act as if they're beaten just for being told "no" by their families. Smacking them around even for small stuff is gonna gently caress with their head something terrible. Tell'em to get a trash can the dog can't get into. :colbert:

E: You can smack a lab and 10 minutes later it'll be like "Derp, wanna play with a ball". You smack a ridgeback and I swear to god they remember forever that One Time. I was cleaning kennels once and I turned around. Accidentally kicked a puppy. That puppy acted like I'd killed it's parents in front of it a week later. Took me forever to make up with it.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 24, 2013

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Doing that with a ridgeback is a bad idea. They're dumb, sensitive little flowers that act as if they're beaten just for being told "no" by their families. Smacking them around even for small stuff is gonna gently caress with their head something terrible. Tell'em to get a trash can the dog can't get into. :colbert:

E: You can smack a lab and 10 minutes later it'll be like "Derp, wanna play with a ball". You smack a ridgeback and I swear to god they remember forever that One Time. I was cleaning kennels once and I turned around. Accidentally kicked a puppy. That puppy acted like I'd killed it's parents in front of it a week later. Took me forever to make up with it.

Oh dang, well I'll definitely be sure to tell them that. They've only had a beagle and have only had to deal with my beagle and hound mutt, both of which are super bone headed and not sensitive at all. I guess I'm glad that I don't have to talk them out of shock collars or active negative reinforcement training. Hm, well I'll talk to them more about it, thanks. Honestly, I kinda think this is my dad going through a little midlife crisis, he wants a BIG MANLY HUNTIN' DAWG THAT'S BRED TO KILL DEM LIONS. It's kinda funny they're actually sensitive little flowers.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I noticed my dog has some bumps on his back legs, in the arm pit area, as well as a few on his front paw. He has been licking at them a bit, but im doing my best to prevent him from it. Im not sure what it is, but it looks similar to poison ivy. I know we have been walking in a new area lately so Im wondering if something might have irritated his skin. If anyone can help ID it, here is a picture He got a bath tonight, and as long as it it doesnt look too concerning ill wait to take him to the vet until tomorrow.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Opinions on Nylabones, specifically the "non-edibles"? They seem to be the only chew toy with any strength to stand up to my dog and she loves to chew them. Keeps the dog bed safe from her at least.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
After thinking about it I figure I'd ask another question. The dog I had asked a question about was adopted by my husband and I on Friday evening. The house we got her from was in no uncertain terms a disgusting mess. Our puppy was one of 25 dogs in this house (12 of them belonging to the owner), which is a foster house for one of my towns local rescues. The house was pretty deplorable, incredibly filthy. When we got to the house from about a foot from the front door all we could smell was piss and poo poo mixed with the smell of household cleaner. Our pup (she's five months) was in a smallish crate with one of her littermates, there were three crates in the kitchen with two pups in each. There was a mixture of dog breeds, mostly mutts and many large adult dogs. We never expected a rescue pup to be well-adjusted, but we think Freya was bullied pretty badly by other dogs since she barely eats unless I'm standing right beside her, goes into her crate to relieve herself (something I'm told is pretty unusual) and is TERRIFIED by other dogs. I mean, I take her for a walk and she sees even a small dog a block away and she will freeze up completely and I can't get her to move, until the dog gets closer and she runs full tilt away.
My question is: is this kind of environment typical for foster homes and shelters? Sometimes we feel like we rescued the puppy from the rescue. The house looked and smelled like something out of Hoarders and I feel so guilty when I think back to all the other dogs there. I don't know much about dog rescues or foster homes for dogs but the conditions really left us dumbstruck; I don't doubt that the fosterer is a person with a big heart but it seems like the good intentions don't really outweigh the reality of it all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

No that's not normal at all.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That's literally the definition of a hoarder. Report to animal control.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Hmm. Thanks. I just talked to husband and he said he actually did report it today. Here's a pic from when we went to visit her before the official adoption:

I know it's not much to go on but take a look at the wall in the back, that's just a small indicator of the condition of the house. Frey is five months old and has no idea how to play, she had never had a collar alone so forget about knowing how to walk on a leash (she is doing very well learning to walk with her harness!), she specifically goes into her crate to pee, which I'm working on. She spends I'd say 80% of the time when we are home laying down. She is quite hand shy sometimes, I'll go to pet her and she'll jump away from me submissively. This all is concerning to me since part of the mission for animal rescues should be helping reducing the stigma that rescue animals are broken and then putting them in an environment that hinders their growth. I'm glad she's with us now.

e: I should add that part of the adoption process was a home visit, ironically. The foster person came to our house to the front door and I said they could take their shoes off so I could show them the house before going into the back yard. They say "Oh, no need, let's just go to the back". I mean, they didn't even look inside my house at all, it could have been a puppy death dungeon. :( I also get headaches and being in that house gave me a whopper of a migraine after half an hour from the smell.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 25, 2013

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

cheese eats mouse posted:

Opinions on Nylabones, specifically the "non-edibles"? They seem to be the only chew toy with any strength to stand up to my dog and she loves to chew them. Keeps the dog bed safe from her at least.

I give my critters Nylabones for that reason. I have a bunch of sharks who tear through Kongs in a matter of days; Nylabones actually last and they love them. My vet endorsed them and my dogs have never had health problems so they're probably okay?

I used to be a big fan of jute toys, but my namesake is a little red heeler pup who apparently can pick anything apart. Nylabones are about the only thing that lasts at least a week or two with my little Abutiu. Jute toys are pretty durable though; there's currently a sale on a jute bottle-holder toy on Doggy Loot for pretty cheap if you want to try it out.

[quote="]I don't know much about dog rescues or foster homes for dogs but the conditions really left us dumbstruck; I don't doubt that the fosterer is a person with a big heart but it seems like the good intentions don't really outweigh the reality of it all.[/quote"]

Nonono that is not okay. I do fostering and work closely with a local rescue; please, please make sure you alert the rescue if you haven't already. I know that with our rescue, funds are limited so proven fosters are not inspected as often as they should be, which your post has made me realize is a problem (yeah, I should have before). But if we had even slightly subpar fosters, we want to know about it. The conditions you describe? Yes, report them to whatever authority will do something!

We've fortunately never been burned but reading your post I realized we could have a situation like that without even realizing it, and we do not want that. Your husband was right to report it. That is wrong. Fostering/rescuing animals is a wonderful thing, but only if they have a decent life.

edit: sorry, I'm a newbie (obviously) and don't know how to fix that quote...

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Abutiu posted:

edit: sorry, I'm a newbie (obviously) and don't know how to fix that quote...
Edit the post and remove the " from the brackets. It should be [ quote ] and [ /quote ] but without the spaces. If you want to reference a specific person's post in your reply then you need to use [ quote="username" post="post number" ] [ /quote ]

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Engineer Lenk posted:

How much are you feeding him and how long have you waited him out? I'd be inclined to act like it's no big deal, set food out and take it up normally for a couple of days without any extraordinary measures, and let him subsist on the few bites. If it doesn't resolve within that time, try adding a bit of broth or tripe or stinky wet food to his bowl. The fact that the food is in the bowl should do the bulk of the counter-conditioning/desensitization work for you, and he will still take a few kibble so he's not completely over threshold.

A few problems at the moment. We're on vacation at our inlaws, so all the dogs (we have 3) are out of their environment anyways.

We feed the recommended amount, though I've been doing a bit less as to not waste it. It's blue buffalo and he's supposed to get 3/4 cup each meal (morning and night). We've been doing 1/2c each meal, with warm water added.

I've tried waiting him out, putting him in a separate room from the other dogs, putting the food in tupperware, on a paper plate, raised/not raised. Nothing. My wife took him in the other room yesterday and got him to eat out of some tupperware and just simply sat in there with him and didn't pay him attention. I tried that today and nothing. I'll usually give it about 5-10 minutes and if he hasn't eaten, then it gets tossed.

Regarding adding broth/tripe/etc...we're trying not to do that. Earlier in this thread I stated how we had been doing a mix of raw food (which we made) with the kibble, but were getting the dogs off of that as it was a pain in the rear end to make, and they were being fussy. I was told by several people that the dogs won't starve themselves and will eat when hungry.

The thing is with this dog, if you move the bowl/food near him, he puts up a paw like he's hurt and backs away. If I put some food in my hand, he will eat it right up.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

nwin posted:

Regarding adding broth/tripe/etc...we're trying not to do that. Earlier in this thread I stated how we had been doing a mix of raw food (which we made) with the kibble, but were getting the dogs off of that as it was a pain in the rear end to make, and they were being fussy. I was told by several people that the dogs won't starve themselves and will eat when hungry.

The thing is with this dog, if you move the bowl/food near him, he puts up a paw like he's hurt and backs away. If I put some food in my hand, he will eat it right up.

I'm generally of the 'dogs won't starve themselves and will eat when hungry' camp.

I'm still not clear on how long you've done the 'wait him out' gambit before you started changing things. I would go two full days (4 meals) doing food down, out for 10 minutes, food up - no tupperware, no new bowls, nothing different. Fasting a day for a dog isn't a big deal, and it sounds like he's doing a better job of training you to hand-feed him than you're making progress desensitizing him to the bowl. I would also put him in a down-stay somewhere, set the bowl down away from him and release him to go get food, rather than setting the bowl down next to him or pushing it towards him.

Higher-value food in the bowl isn't going to make him any fussier than he is now. If he'll eat high-value food out of the bowl, you know he'll eat out of the bowl. That way you can assume that his choice not to eat is truly his choice and he'll eat normal food when he gets hungry enough. It's the same principle of using high-value treats to teach a behavior, then scale back the reward once they know what they're doing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Engineer Lenk posted:

I'm generally of the 'dogs won't starve themselves and will eat when hungry' camp.

I'm still not clear on how long you've done the 'wait him out' gambit before you started changing things. I would go two full days (4 meals) doing food down, out for 10 minutes, food up - no tupperware, no new bowls, nothing different. Fasting a day for a dog isn't a big deal, and it sounds like he's doing a better job of training you to hand-feed him than you're making progress desensitizing him to the bowl. I would also put him in a down-stay somewhere, set the bowl down away from him and release him to go get food, rather than setting the bowl down next to him or pushing it towards him.

Higher-value food in the bowl isn't going to make him any fussier than he is now. If he'll eat high-value food out of the bowl, you know he'll eat out of the bowl. That way you can assume that his choice not to eat is truly his choice and he'll eat normal food when he gets hungry enough. It's the same principle of using high-value treats to teach a behavior, then scale back the reward once they know what they're doing.

Admittedly, I think you're right about him training me. I think I started changing things up too much each meal Instead of sticking with something.

I'll try the 2 days straight. Does he still get treats when we put him in the crate though? He gets one whenever we leave the house and he goes to his crate on command.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

nwin posted:

Admittedly, I think you're right about him training me. I think I started changing things up too much each meal Instead of sticking with something.

I'll try the 2 days straight. Does he still get treats when we put him in the crate though? He gets one whenever we leave the house and he goes to his crate on command.

I'd keep treating for good crate behavior, as long as it's not something he'd fill up on.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Is there a megathread / resource for coping with older dogs that are likely approaching the end of the line?

My dog Casey is a lab/dane mix that's been with me since she was about 1 year old. A garbage man was nice enough to call animal control when he found her tied to a dumpster he was about to lift into his truck. If he'd have done the lift or not given a poo poo, he'd have strangled her. I hope the previous 'owner' burns in all kinds of hells, and hope the rest of her litter fared better.

She's a Big Black Dog, which according to my vet-tech ex girlfriend is a hard type to adopt out. All I know is, when I went to the shelter to look at lab mutts, she was the only one that instantly ran behind me and hid for protection. Bond = formed.

She was a walking doggy skeleton when I adopted her, maybe 30 pounds of bone and skin. She grew up to be about a hundred pounds, and is very nearly the perfect dog. The Lab 'people-pleaser' genes blended perfectly with the Great Dane 'lazy bastard' genes.

She's about 10 years old now, and gets enough joint supplements to keep a cow's corpse limber on a daily basis. But I know she's only going to live so long, and she's slow getting out of bed in the morning. She's probably got a few years left, if I'm lucky.

This dog has seen me through thick and thin, stuck with me through a 3-week bout of homelessness, and kept me alive when poo poo *REALLY* got bad a few years ago. (Suicidal ideation is IMMEDIATELY DEFEATED by the question "Who will feed my dog tomorrow?").

There is a guide in E/N about getting dumped / breakups. Is there any similar goon-guide for dealing with the fact that humans just live a lot longer than dogs?

Tiny fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 26, 2013

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Esmerelda posted:

Edit the post and remove the " from the brackets. It should be [ quote ] and [ /quote ] but without the spaces. If you want to reference a specific person's post in your reply then you need to use [ quote="username" post="post number" ] [ /quote ]

Thanks. :) I'm not sure why I didn't notice those quotes in there (or how they got in there, honestly); I know enough about HTML to at least pick that up. Thanks for pointing it out, and giving a primer on the rest. Also, I just discovered I can just hit quote again and it will automatically fill it in for me. Yeah, I'm a bit slow with this kind of thing.

Tiny posted:

There is a guide in E/N about getting dumped / breakups. Is there any similar goon-guide for dealing with the fact that humans just live a lot longer than dogs?

I don't know if there's a thread like that or not, but I just want to say I understand what you're going through. I have an older dog who I've had for 13 years now and while he's doing well, I realize it's unlikely he'll last terribly much longer. It's really difficult. I'm coping by making sure he has the best life possible--not that I haven't always done that, but going above and beyond and basically spoiling him rotten (except in ways that will affect his health).

Clandestine!
Jul 17, 2010
Anyone have to deal with ringworm in their pets? My partner brought home a kitten one day a few weeks ago and we're just finding out now that he was an asymptomatic carrier of ringworm and has spread it to our pup. Bonzo (pup) has quite a few lesions and bare patches on his head and forelegs that have just cropped up in the past couple of days, while Cat has none but has probably had it since before we brought him in. I took them to the vet on Friday and they took samples to culture and said that they would get back to me with a treatment plan on Monday. What a long time to wait, ugh. How long does it take to clear up, especially in young dogs? My partner and I haven't shown any symptoms as of yet... are we in the clear or will my hair suddenly start falling out due to fungus tomorrow? Is the suggested "scour the whole house with bleach" method suggested on the internet necessary? Thanks in advance goons

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I got ringworm from some foster kittens a while back. Vet determined their case wasn't bad enough to need anti-fungal stuff and it would go away on its own. I put anti-fungal cream from the chemist on my visible spots so it would clear up quicker, and it took a week or two for the patches to clear up. Generally I think the isolation period for it is generally at least a few weeks for animals with symptoms. People with weaker immune symptoms (kids and elderly) are more likely to get it, so try to avoid letting them touch your pets.

You can get anti-fungal laundry stuff from the supermarket. I'd wash everything you can in that for the next few weeks. I don't think bleaching every surface is going to help much since puppy already has it, but you might be able to stop the humans of the house getting it. Diligent hand washing is also in your future.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Can a dog become incontinent in his sleep?

Yesterday morning I awoke to find my 2 year old corgi had wet the bed, which I pretty much just dismissed as a one off, but then this morning I wake up and find he crapped in the bed.

The odd thing is, he's normally quite fastidious and if forced to go in doors, will try to evacuate in a corner and avoid the waste, but both of the last mornings, he has basically been laying in it on the bed.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
With the peeing I'd be worried about a seizure - my old lady dog started having fits towards the end of her life and would empty her bladder each time. The poop thing's weird, though. Keep an eye on it I guess and if it keeps happening then go to the vet?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Epiphyte posted:

Yesterday morning I awoke to find my 2 year old corgi had wet the bed, which I pretty much just dismissed as a one off, but then this morning I wake up and find he crapped in the bed.

The odd thing is, he's normally quite fastidious and if forced to go in doors, will try to evacuate in a corner and avoid the waste, but both of the last mornings, he has basically been laying in it on the bed.

Take them to the vet. Our Lucy's bladder stones were finally discovered when she would just leave a puddle where she was laying. Or he was just dreamin' about poopin.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is it possible for dogs to get dry skin as a result of bathing? I gave my corgi a long-overdue bath yesterday and he's been scratching himself a ton ever since. My girlfriend and I haven't seen any fleas on him, so I'm wondering if I just didn't dry him thoroughly enough and the shampoo residue made his skin really dry or something.

Clandestine!
Jul 17, 2010

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I got ringworm from some foster kittens a while back. Vet determined their case wasn't bad enough to need anti-fungal stuff and it would go away on its own. I put anti-fungal cream from the chemist on my visible spots so it would clear up quicker, and it took a week or two for the patches to clear up. Generally I think the isolation period for it is generally at least a few weeks for animals with symptoms. People with weaker immune symptoms (kids and elderly) are more likely to get it, so try to avoid letting them touch your pets.

You can get anti-fungal laundry stuff from the supermarket. I'd wash everything you can in that for the next few weeks. I don't think bleaching every surface is going to help much since puppy already has it, but you might be able to stop the humans of the house getting it. Diligent hand washing is also in your future.

Thanks. Should I avoid letting the pup and kitty sit on my lap and stuff? I'm a big sap and still wanna cuddle them. Plus, they'd both cry incessantly if I ignored them all day and I don't think I can handle the guilt from that.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

C-Euro posted:

Is it possible for dogs to get dry skin as a result of bathing? I gave my corgi a long-overdue bath yesterday and he's been scratching himself a ton ever since. My girlfriend and I haven't seen any fleas on him, so I'm wondering if I just didn't dry him thoroughly enough and the shampoo residue made his skin really dry or something.

What did you bathe him in? If it was too harsh, it could give him dry skin and make him itchy. If the itching doesn't clear up quite soon, or if you notice him chewing so much that he hurts himself etc, a vet trip is probably in order. Otherwise, if it clears up, next time try washing him in a dog shampoo marked for sensitive skin.

Clandestine! posted:

Thanks. Should I avoid letting the pup and kitty sit on my lap and stuff? I'm a big sap and still wanna cuddle them. Plus, they'd both cry incessantly if I ignored them all day and I don't think I can handle the guilt from that.

There's stuff you can do to reduce the risk of you catching it, like wearing long sleeves and trying to avoid getting scratched, and not touching your face with your hands before washing them. There's no way I'd tell you not to pay your pets though. :)

If you do get it, it's not that big a deal; it's the same type of thing as athlete's foot, I didn't find it particularly itchy and it went away without much help from me. The only reason I got a cream for it is because I work with animals and I couldn't handle them while I had it, so I wanted it to clear up faster. And usually it's not the type of thing that you'll get more than once. Oh, it also doesn't usually cause hair loss in people like it does in cats and dogs.

Writing about this is making me itchy, argh.

Abutiu
Oct 21, 2013

Epiphyte posted:

I also think you should take him to the vet. We had a basset hound when I was a kid, and she suddenly started doing that. Turned out she'd injured her back and was mostly hiding it, but was avoiding squatting to urinate/defecate when she was awake to the point that she couldn't hold it when she was asleep. It could be a lot of different things, but a sudden change like that needs to be checked out, especially in such a young dog.

edit: by "in such a young dog," I mean that occasional incontinence has been pretty common with the older dogs I've known, although a sudden start with them would also worry me. But with his age and the fact that he's had issues twice in a row, you definitely don't want to write it off.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Just saw this on Facebook, so I'm sure it's either completely untrue, or a gross misrepresentation of the real truth. I did a quick google search and the only thing I could find is that one of the ingredients can cause harm to your pets, but it's on basically every flea treatment and is only harmful in huge doses or if it's ingested, and obviously you have to use as directed.

Is there anything else to this claim? All the other websites were either promotional material or just parroting that same information, and this kind of stuff gets posted all the time on this page and I at least try to steer people towards the truth or to at least try to think critically about what they're reading. (The amount of times that image macro about coloured labels to steal dogs for dog fighting has come up is staggering)

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

moechae posted:

Oh dang, well I'll definitely be sure to tell them that. They've only had a beagle and have only had to deal with my beagle and hound mutt, both of which are super bone headed and not sensitive at all. I guess I'm glad that I don't have to talk them out of shock collars or active negative reinforcement training. Hm, well I'll talk to them more about it, thanks. Honestly, I kinda think this is my dad going through a little midlife crisis, he wants a BIG MANLY HUNTIN' DAWG THAT'S BRED TO KILL DEM LIONS. It's kinda funny they're actually sensitive little flowers.

Man, my dad is going through that same thing. Some random massive pitbull got loose and was wandering through our neighborhood, it was basically the scariest looking dog I've ever seen. My dad loves dachshunds and my lil' delicate flower of a mutt, but for some reason he bonded with it and latched onto the idea of gettin' a BIG OL' DAWG :dukedog: after that. He kept going on and on about how massive its head was :sigh:. It took me a lot of talking to convince him that getting a BYB pitbull would be basically the worst idea ever. But still, every once in a while he'll sigh and wistfully talk about how big and scary that dog looked.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

screaden posted:

Just saw this on Facebook, so I'm sure it's either completely untrue, or a gross misrepresentation of the real truth. I did a quick google search and the only thing I could find is that one of the ingredients can cause harm to your pets, but it's on basically every flea treatment and is only harmful in huge doses or if it's ingested, and obviously you have to use as directed.

Is there anything else to this claim? All the other websites were either promotional material or just parroting that same information, and this kind of stuff gets posted all the time on this page and I at least try to steer people towards the truth or to at least try to think critically about what they're reading. (The amount of times that image macro about coloured labels to steal dogs for dog fighting has come up is staggering)

It's really hard to say because all the complaints are just anecdotes. I'd probably steer clear anyway and go with something like Frontline.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

screaden posted:

Some of those products have the same ingredient as Frontline, and some are the same as Advantage...what is the specific product or ingredient you are concerned about?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Chaco posted:

Some of those products have the same ingredient as Frontline, and some are the same as Advantage...what is the specific product or ingredient you are concerned about?

Nothing, we use advantage for our dog, I just hate this kind of scare mongering misinformation on Facebook and wanted to know if it was actually as bad as they make it out to be. All the comments were indignant outrage calling for boycotts and stuff

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
Jesus prognosticating christ I will never ask for advice again.

A few days ago I asked for advice on dealing with the fact that my dog only has a few years left, and how to deal with it.

Today my roommate went out of town to deal with her grandparents cancer treatments around 1pm. I got home around 4pm, and assumed she took her dog with her. (Mine was doing her usual begging to be let in at the back door, and I let her in. Normally I also let Ready in at the same time.) When Roommate #3 got home at 5pm, I asked him to confirm that she took her dog with her, since we generally feed each other's pets when someone isn't home for whatever reason. He said that no, she had no plans to take Ready with her.

After about half an hour of looking for him in the house, we finally go outside and scour the treeline. Oh! There's Ready, he's just laying in one of his favorite foxholes. Dead. We kicked his leg, tried to wake him up, nothing. He was dead... Completely. Flies in his mouth, rigor-mortis and all. Zero signs of trauma, just eyes-half-open, tongue half-hanging out in his favorite "ima relax in my hole now" position. The same position we'd seen him in a thousand times before. Only now it was permanent.

He was a retired/rescued track-raced greyhound, who broke his leg at age 2 during a race, hence the adoption. We've had him for 3 years now, he was approximately 5 years old.

And then came the logistics :( We wrapped him in a sheet and got on the phone, started calling vets in the area... Nobody really gave a gently caress about doing a necropsy to see what happened. The one vet that would be willing to take him same-day stated that they couldn't send or do any cultures or bloodwork, so short of poisoning (stomach contents) or heart attack they couldn't give us a cause of death. (Greyhounds have massive loving hearts that are nearly never the problem when they die, so stroke is most likely.)

There was another service that would come pick him up for $300 and cremate him and return the ashes 'in a few days' (which I took to mean 'will let him rot for a few days and may contain 10% of his ashes when they give you an urn a week later')

Ultimately, after many consultations with his actual owner RoomMate #2, who was out of town and broke.... We buried her dog. Shovels the first few feet down to the clay, and picks into the clay. Got about 5 feet deep and called it good, threw him in sheet and all :(

What an utterly and goddamned depressing day.

What the gently caress? Why does the dog of a loved-one die a week after I asked about how I should deal with MY dog dying?

MY dog was in the same yard with him when he died. She's fine, acting fine, and hasn't indicated that she misses the big dog that used to run circles around her. Not yet, anyway.

After this, she'll be sleeping in the bed with me till the end of her days.

Ladyfriends can make loving room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Dogs in the bed forever!