Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

Titan tools started as a dropshipper who started having the chinese poo poo factories stamp their name on stuff.

You can often find identical poo poo on alibaba with other company names on it, or, if you order enough, your own name on it!

http://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/2016-new-best-quality-TPR-handle_60538542091.html

It seems they got even lazier with this set, and the screwdrivers don't even say titan on them, it's just a sticker on the rack.

sometimes they're passible, more often than not the metal is half cheese, and the screwdriver is weaker than the screw.

I've had that same set for a few months now and it's solid. I turn lesser drives to bent scrap with regularity and these have held up well.
I think I paid $20 or $29 for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Crossposting from Horrible Mechanical Failures, on the subject of half-rear end fitting a wrench or socket on a bolt:

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's the 17mm that gets me, with my three Japanese vehicles. Every set of box-ends in stores around here omits it and I think I had to pay :20bux: for one because I needed it that day and could not use a socket.

Oddly, it's the only wrench I never lose.

I bought a deep impact socket set once and it came with 2 17mm sockets, and no 16mm. I turned one into a drift (ie: I used it as a drift once and now it's totally unusable for anything else). And for that odd time I need 16mm deep impact, 5/8" is close enough.

Actually, for anyone who cares, Snap-on sells 2 sets of 3/8" drive swivel impact sockets, one SAE and one metric, and are often on a BOGO sale. The SAE set has 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", and 3/4", while the metric set has 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm, 15mm, 17mm, and 18mm. It was only recently that I realised it is actually one combined set, covering every standard size from 10mm all the way up to 3/4" (which is actually onlu 0.05mm longer than 19mm), as each set fills out the holes in the other.

1/2" and 13mm are occasionally interchangeable if the tolerance on the bolt head is out enough.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 17, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A whole bunch of metric and imperial sockets are interchangeable depending on the size of your hammer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Little‐known fact: 10 mm sockets are interchangeable with 101⁄256th‐inch sockets. :eng101:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Powershift posted:

A whole bunch of metric and imperial sockets are interchangeable depending on the size of your hammer.

I meant interchangeable without damaging the socket or the fastener.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

EKDS5k posted:

I meant interchangeable without damaging the socket or the fastener.

Look at Mr La-di-da and his unmangled bolts and sockets.

Hammering the poo poo out of them too good for you?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

spog posted:

Look at Mr La-di-da and his unmangled bolts and sockets.

Depends completely on how much I paid for the sockets and if I have a backup...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

There must be a better way to do grease fittings. My TJ has 34 of the cocksuckers and I'm tired of loving with this hand-pumped grease gun. Goon suggestions?

The air powered one at TSC (can't remember the brand) hasn't done me wrong yet, but I haven't used it much yet. Either way, I'd give it a shot.

EKDS5k posted:

I bought a deep impact socket set once and it came with 2 17mm sockets, and no 16mm.

My Husky shallow metric impact set came with two 13s and no 14. Well, they were stamped 13 and 14, but both were 13mm! It took like 5 tries explaining this to the idiot at HD (insert Parks&Rec "I know more than you" clip here) before they finally figured out what I meant and exchanged the "14mm" for an actual 14mm.

Powershift posted:

The size of the hammer and how much the fastener has been rust-shrunk. I like that because I can always knock the rust off, then use the next size down, or if it doesn't fit, the "half size" from the other fastener system (metric vs SAE) that falls between the two.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

EightBit posted:

There must be a better way to do grease fittings. My TJ has 34 of the cocksuckers and I'm tired of loving with this hand-pumped grease gun. Goon suggestions?

I have an 18v Lincoln Powerluber with a Lock-n-Lube fitting. My only problem is that I cheaped out and bought ni-cad instead of spending the extra $100 for lithium at the time.

Lock-n-lube makes a foot pump grease gun that holds something like half a pail of grease if you don't want electric.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I have an air-powered grease gun and it is pretty nice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
HF tap and die set - are the taps good enough to put threads in aluminum?

n/m - bought a single Dewalt tap from Home Depot.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 17, 2016

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Costco has a gnarly set of drivers on sale right now.

$15 if you've got the holiday coupon:
http://www.costco.com/Titan-26-Piec...1&storeId=10301

I bought 2 sets. Good value for the money. Magnetic tipped, good heft, useful sizes. Better than any HF poo poo by far.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

R-Type posted:

I bought 2 sets. Good value for the money. Magnetic tipped, good heft, useful sizes. Better than any HF poo poo by far.

Bah, get yourself a nice wera set with the laser grooves, and marvel at how long you've put up with lovely useless screwdrivers that don't grab worth a drat

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm thinking about grabbing the Home Depot $199 deal for the M12 Fuel hammer drill, Fuel hex impact and non-fuel 3/8 ratchet.

I also kind of want the m12 hackzall. If I buy the $99 hackzall and drill kit, then sell off the drill for $50ish with one battery and a charger, I'll end up with 4 tools, three batteries (one XC) and a charger for $250. Decent deal?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have all the same things and I can tell you I spent a lot more than that, so...

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

OSU_Matthew posted:

Bah, get yourself a nice wera set with the laser grooves, and marvel at how long you've put up with lovely useless screwdrivers that don't grab worth a drat

Do this, I have this set https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftfo...ra+screwdrivers
and they're loving awesome.

On a similar note, I bought these Wiha micro drivers

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26199-S...screwdriver+set

and they suck. Fit and finish are no better, and maybe worse, than my Tektons I use at work. Not at all worth the extra $$$

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Do this, I have this set https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftfo...ra+screwdrivers
and they're loving awesome.

and they suck. Fit and finish are no better, and maybe worse, than my Tektons I use at work. Not at all worth the extra $$$

Another vote for Wera laser screwdrivers. I've got a number and they are great. The laser edge wears down too quickly, though, so I only use them when non-slip is absolutely needed.

I was worried clicking your link on the Wiha set, I've got this set https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-75965-Precision-Ratchet-65-Piece/dp/B00JQ753W8 and I thought you'd be linking the same one. Thankfully not. I really like my set, a lot of small-factor bits and the small ratchet feel is great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OSU_Matthew posted:

I have that set, was hesitant about spending the money since I'm a hobbyist but like other nice tools, I haven't given the price a second thought since using them.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Powershift posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › The Tool Thread: Metric & SAE Socket Interchangeability Depends on the Size of Your Hammer

-or-

spog posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › The Tool Thread: Hammering the poo poo out of Them too Good for You?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

more often than not the metal is half cheese, and the screwdriver is weaker than the screw.

This is a feature when you're working on lovely old monkey-metal motorcycle engines.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can't argue with that. It's always nice to have a trash set of drivers around to not have to worry about leaving them somewhere, losing them, etc...

I'd buy a set of those cheap drivers and bring them to work since my job is too retarded actually buy a real loving screwdriver. We just have those lovely disposable bit drivers.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 18, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nmfree posted:

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › The Tool Thread: Metric & SAE Socket Interchangeability Depends on the Size of Your Hammer

:perfect:

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

If you're looking for a great set of micro drivers, try this one out:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Pro-Tech-Toolkit/IF145-307

It's more geared towards small electronics, but it's everything you need to get into everything from iphones to mac minis to laptops and whatever else you can think of. I use mine every day at work, and it's got a lot of nice thoughtful touches, like a segmented lid for keeping different size screws compartmentalized per step (making reassembly much easier), perfectly magnetized driver with textured easy to grip handle, flexible extension, every bit you can think of (even t6 security :argh:), and the other stuff like the spatula and tweezers are top notch tools. Worth every penny--there's nothing better for delicate work.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's more geared towards small electronics, but it's everything you need to get into everything from iphones to mac minis to laptops and whatever else you can think of. I use mine every day at work, and it's got a lot of nice thoughtful touches, like a segmented lid for keeping different size screws compartmentalized per step (making reassembly much easier), perfectly magnetized driver with textured easy to grip handle, flexible extension, every bit you can think of (even t6 security :argh:), and the other stuff like the spatula and tweezers are top notch tools. Worth every penny--there's nothing better for delicate work.

I have an older version of that, and it doesn't have pentalobe or security torx. I guess they upgraded it over the years. I wouldn't say that it's as nice as Wera, but it's definitely done right by me over the years for laptop tinkering etc. I think they sell individual bits, so I guess I could just add the few missing bits. Are the security torx holes drilled a consistent size and on-center?

also it's "macs mini" hth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Macintoshes Miniature

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I think one of my best recent purchases has been a Bluetooth OBD adaptor. Now I'm not just pulling codes, but I can also see useful diagnostic information, it's pretty great

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Raluek posted:

I have an older version of that, and it doesn't have pentalobe or security torx. I guess they upgraded it over the years. I wouldn't say that it's as nice as Wera, but it's definitely done right by me over the years for laptop tinkering etc. I think they sell individual bits, so I guess I could just add the few missing bits. Are the security torx holes drilled a consistent size and on-center?

also it's "macs mini" hth
Okey dokey...

Yup, the bits are pretty nice. The newest kit is a pretty good step up from their previous one, which I had until I was forced to buy a whole new set after coworkers permanently borrowed one too many pieces. Now my tools live in a locked chest.

The Door Frame posted:

I think one of my best recent purchases has been a Bluetooth OBD adaptor. Now I'm not just pulling codes, but I can also see useful diagnostic information, it's pretty great
It is pretty great stuff, I don't understand why, in 2016, that isn't a default feature built into most cars. 10$ of adapter and 5$ of app = unparalleled visibility into the myriad of sensors and diagnostics available on modern vehicles.

On that train of thought, my best recent purchase was the gear wrench 120xp ratchet set.. So buttery smooth, between that, the ratchet wrenches, and electric impacts, I don't even remember how I removed fasteners before now

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
With all of the giant info-tainment screens in cars, you'd think there would be a debug mode or something that shows info from the ECU, but that would make too much sense

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Door Frame posted:

With all of the giant info-tainment screens in cars, you'd think there would be a debug mode or something that shows info from the ECU, but that would make too much sense

The Prius has some stuff you can get to with a secret-ish diag mode, it'll at least tell you battery voltage and stuff like that. But you can't give out too much info, so you can require people to bring their vehicle into the dealer to bill them to plug in the proprietary scan tool.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is there any great reason to own an air compressor? I keep finding myself looking at them, but the only current need I have is inflating automobile tires occasionally, which I currently do with a lovely 12v compressor. If I ever needed an impact wrench it seems like the electric options are cheaper. I'd love to talk myself into one, but I don't have a ton of garage space and it seems like I'd be better off with a $45 120v inflator.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is there any great reason to own an air compressor? I keep finding myself looking at them, but the only current need I have is inflating automobile tires occasionally, which I currently do with a lovely 12v compressor. If I ever needed an impact wrench it seems like the electric options are cheaper. I'd love to talk myself into one, but I don't have a ton of garage space and it seems like I'd be better off with a $45 120v inflator.

Paint‐spraying and sand‐blasting are two things that don’t have great electric options.

I wouldn’t get a compressor till you need one, though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Need a nail gun, a pneumatic hammer, or an even stronger impact gun? I don't think that they're really all that necessary anymore unless you are working trucks or houses or something large.

I feel like paint sprayers and media blasters are used so infrequently that renting them would be a better choice for most people

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Platystemon posted:

I wouldn’t get a compressor till you need one, though.

How do you not need one?
Pneumatic cutoff tools, sanders, paint sprayers, filling tires, soda blasting, nailguns, air hammers... and that's just stuff you can get by with buying from Harbor Freight.
Top it off with a nice ingersoll rand impact driver and you'll wonder how the hell you ever survived without a compressor.

The Door Frame posted:

Need a nail gun, a pneumatic hammer, or an even stronger impact gun? I don't think that they're really all that necessary anymore unless you are working trucks or houses or something large.

I feel like paint sprayers and media blasters are used so infrequently that renting them would be a better choice for most people

The HF media blaster cost less to buy than any rental tool :shrug:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Paint‐spraying and sand‐blasting are two things that don’t have great electric options.

I'd beg to disagree... Clearly you've never tried the HF airless paint sprayer. Last year it was a godsend to paint my detached garage, this year it saved my butt painting my wraparound front porch in time for winter. This thing is so perfect, I'd never muck with an air sprayer. It's easy to use, evenly sprays undiluted paint no problem, and cleans up easy. Best HF purchase ever.

Because giant eagle has free air that auto fills to the selected psi, I can't even recall the last time I used my compressor at home to fill tires.

Same with impact wrenches... My 18v electric impact works just as well if not better, and it's super portable, quick to use, and I don't need to muck around charging the compressor and dicking around with hoses. That's another dead end for me.

Honestly the only thing I've used my compressor for in the last year are pneumatic nailers and just blowing debris off where I'm about to paint. Even that I feel like would be better served by a dedicated blower, and it's only a matter of time till I pick up an 18v nailer. Compressors are still handy, but I see that utility rapidly dwindling to be honest. It's why I won't buy another even though my porter cable pancake is due to be replaced.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You can definitely get by with an inflator. I like my PC pancake but I use it for my brad nailer occasionally, and fill a lot of tires.

It's pretty useless running an impact or any air tools really. If you want that, gotta go bigger.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, honestly the air compressor is not the must have it used to be if you're willing to drop some coin on good lithium tools.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconding this. I have the old version and the new version, and the new version is so drat nice. Lifetime warranty on the non consumables, too.

RE: compressors, I really want to get a nice big one for air tools and media blasting/painting, I use my cheapo 3 gallon for inflating, nailing, and blowing pretty frequently

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CloFan posted:

I use my cheapo 3 gallon for inflating, nailing, and blowing pretty frequently

Where is this fun party happening sailor :wink: .

In all seriousness the stand up compressors from horror freight are pretty good. I have a 125 that is trucking along no matter how I abuse/never drain it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: compressors

Is there a definitive guide to the right way to design and set up shop air lines? I have a really nice brand new snap on air compressor (bought at a deal off craigslist) sitting in the corner of my shop.

Eventually I will run it, it might be in 20 years after I retire, but one day.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Re: compressors

Is there a definitive guide to the right way to design and set up shop air lines? I have a really nice brand new snap on air compressor (bought at a deal off craigslist) sitting in the corner of my shop.

Eventually I will run it, it might be in 20 years after I retire, but one day.

Ideally your going to want to have as little line as possible. It all depends on the size of the compressor. Like a smaller one with a tun of air lines will not be able to give as much as it should. Where as a big compressor with less line before the air hose will give the best results. I feel like Kastein and Adiabatic have both shown a good air line set up in there threads. Err maybe kastein just talked about how he was setting it up in his mickey mouse house. But i know adiabatic showed in pictures in his thread how he is running the air lines.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of, I was at my father's barber. They have a garage feel to the interior with all the guys rocking rolling tool cabinets for they're equipment and with air lines hooked up to allow them to blow hair off. Except they ran regular pvc pipe for the air lines. I'm hoping they are running at low pressure cause it would suck if one of those burst.

Vvvvv :golfclap:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uthor posted:

Speaking of, I was at my father's barber. They have a garage feel to the interior with all the guys rocking rolling tool cabinets for they're equipment and with air lines hooked up to allow them to blow hair off. Except they ran regular pvc pipe for the air lines. I'm hoping they are running at low pressure cause it would suck if one of those burst.

Actually, it would probably blow.