Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I appreciate the heads-up on the Versys but I don't need another dual sport/adventure bike. I have a DR350 which, even though it's crude, does the job. I am looking at a small sport bike. I might even buy a used CBR250/300 or an R3. I want something a little sportier but I don't really need a 600+ sportbike.

My bad, I assumed the BMW was a mini enduro/gs type variant.

If I ever had free time I'd like to ride out and check out your DR350, I have a hankerin for a dual sport one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dreesemonkey posted:

My bad, I assumed the BMW was a mini enduro/gs type variant.

If I ever had free time I'd like to ride out and check out your DR350, I have a hankerin for a dual sport one of these days.

Come over any time. Except when I'm working. Which is all the time because there ain't no party like a trauma surgery party cause a trauma surgery party literally never ends. But seriously I'm always up for hanging. The DR is a great bike for me because I paid zero cash for it, it's super cheap to insure ($70/year) and it's relatively competent. I've only put a front tire, brake pads and a 4.5gal gas tank on it and it's been fantastically reliable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The DR350 is one hell of a bike and I kinda feel like replacing it with the DRZ wasn't the best thing to do on Suzuki's part.
They're like a HMMWV in that you can gently caress up pretty much every part of them and still make it home. Right after I got mine, I took it for a ride with a barely-engaging clutch, no brakes to speak of, a leaking petcock, bent handlebars, a way old spark plug, and a carb with crumbly rubber bits and an emulsion tube that was only held together by memories. Only problem you could actually detect was the clutch.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The DR350 is one hell of a bike and I kinda feel like replacing it with the DRZ wasn't the best thing to do on Suzuki's part.
They're like a HMMWV in that you can gently caress up pretty much every part of them and still make it home. Right after I got mine, I took it for a ride with a barely-engaging clutch, no brakes to speak of, a leaking petcock, bent handlebars, a way old spark plug, and a carb with crumbly rubber bits and an emulsion tube that was only held together by memories. Only problem you could actually detect was the clutch.

I keep looking for another one. They're getting so cheap that having a couple costs almost nothing. I had a DRZ before and as much as I loved that bike this one feels more durable. When I got it all the bike really needed was a front tire. No leaks, the stock gas tank was in perfect shape, and it only really has cosmetic damage on the rear rack. I'm going to put an acerbis front fender on it because the factory one is ridiculous.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Took it for a spin around my new neighborhood.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice, I wish mine had the newer headlights.

From this morning:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I bet that cyclist passed a few Harleys on the way down the hill. And possibly a sportbike or two

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
drat you all who live where motorcycling actually makes sense.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Dutymode posted:

You just need to lower your standards of what makes sense to suit a motorcycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

There are two places where it don't make sense:

1. Florida
2. Those bullshit scandanavian countries where every vehicle has like 250% tax

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

There are two places where it don't make sense:

1. Florida

Florida has good mx. It's just bad for pavement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

The only kind of tassels I'll consider:

The fender definitely needs something to fill it in, I'll figure something out.

If there's any kind of custom car scene near you they'll have someone who can do pinstriping - a little touch of that, in cream or maybe gold, would really nicely fill that out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I keep looking for another one. They're getting so cheap that having a couple costs almost nothing. I had a DRZ before and as much as I loved that bike this one feels more durable. When I got it all the bike really needed was a front tire. No leaks, the stock gas tank was in perfect shape, and it only really has cosmetic damage on the rear rack. I'm going to put an acerbis front fender on it because the factory one is ridiculous.

Yeah, the front fender is "big floppy dildo on the hood" levels of goofy. It works though. If I ever replace the cowl/light, I'll do a fender to match.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Is that the fender you are referring to? I've been seeing that and thought the owner just put the wrong fender on for some reason. The one on the DR650 is big and fat but it looks great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That'd be the one.

I think it's actually wider at the front, and doesn't really follow the curve of the wheel that well.

Nothing gets past it though.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 4, 2017

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Yeah that's it. You can see it shimmy and shake as you ride down the road. Above 55mph it really moves around in the wind.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Is whats-his-name from Norway with the Suzuki 750 who always took photos of his boots over a gorge still around?

E: Ola

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 4, 2017

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

When wife needs you to go grocery shopping but bikes is life
Shamelessly stolen forums idea depicted.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

^:eyepop:

My bike and my buddy's Royal Enfield 500. Those things are pretty cool. It's a 2015 I think. Tops out at 60 mph, sounds like a tractor and apparently delivers power like one too. Fit and finish is better than I expected, but there is some WWII tech on there for better or worse.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Come over any time. Except when I'm working. Which is all the time because there ain't no party like a trauma surgery party cause a trauma surgery party literally never ends. But seriously I'm always up for hanging. The DR is a great bike for me because I paid zero cash for it, it's super cheap to insure ($70/year) and it's relatively competent. I've only put a front tire, brake pads and a 4.5gal gas tank on it and it's been fantastically reliable.

I hear you. I have 1-3 trips to Harrisburg a week for the foreseeable future along with coaching youth soccer 3x a week. Oh, and it will be leaf season soon and I've got a ton of trees. But poo poo, we should work something out at some point.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Well I never! Details?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
2016 XSR700 with a few bits and pieces, its basically an ABS MT/FZ-07 with 'retro' styling.

Full Akrapovic exhaust
LSL X00 bars
Bar end mirrors
Aluminium fly screen
Aluminium side panels
Single seat
Vintech LED taillight
Tail tidy

started out like this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You've successfully turned a bike that I think of as ugly into a bike I think of as pretty tidy looking, good stuff and good taste.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

^:eyepop:

My bike and my buddy's Royal Enfield 500. Those things are pretty cool. It's a 2015 I think. Tops out at 60 mph, sounds like a tractor and apparently delivers power like one too. Fit and finish is better than I expected, but there is some WWII tech on there for better or worse.

The Bullets top out at 60?! That's GN125 territory...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
They're 500cc and redline at 5200 rpm and have a compression ratio of like 8:1.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

They'll run off 76 octane mexican gas like no tomorrow.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So to be honest, I don't know that it truly tops out there, but he said it gets gutless and miserable to ride past about 55

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

They're also easier than a two stroke to kick start, a single lazy descent of the lever and they slowly Putt-Putt their way up to idle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Our move fell apart so spousal unit N+1'd it.

I'm next in two weeks....

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
So you sold the DRZ for NO GODDAMNED REASON

edit: You should fly n ride my 690 SMC.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Why in hell are you talking about getting rid of your SMC. Specifically after I buy a DRZ.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

So you sold the DRZ for NO GODDAMNED REASON

edit: You should fly n ride my 690 SMC.

Meh. I was bored of it anyway.

LC8 not LC4. :v:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Revvik posted:

Why in hell are you talking about getting rid of your SMC. Specifically after I buy a DRZ.

Oh nooooo. I have it listed, but I'm not exactly a motivated seller. If it never sells, I'll just take it to my grave. I wouldn't mind just having a DR, and a bunch of cash, though.

cursedshitbox posted:

Carry on.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Where u at coydog and pics of the ktm?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Atlanta and:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/6285679008.html

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Aight, that looks dope. If I end up relocating to trashville at the end or the year I'll hit you up to see if you still got it

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks! And sure thing, I'd love to see it go to someone here, if anywhere. I love it, and I've put a lot of work into sorting out the "KTM things".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Meh. I was bored of it anyway.

This is cool and good but selling that DRZ will be one of your life's greatest regrets fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This is cool and good but selling that DRZ will be one of your life's greatest regrets fyi.

Honestly I was sour for like 2 weeks about it.

But you know what? Life is too short to ride bikes that don't make you smile.