Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tayLOVE
Jan 23, 2007
having two possibly related issues with my 04 FXT:

I've noticed that when I start the car when it's still warm - ie after stopping to get gas, or similar situations where the car is only off for a couple minutes - the idle is super rough & lumpy, bad enough that the car is rocking back & forth a bit, almost feels like it wants to stall. It then settles down again the moment I drive away. Never happens when the engine is cold, only when it's been running, shut off, and then turned back on again.

Also: perhaps this is related, but I also occasionally/randomly get an odd (& fairly loud) rattle at idle - it disappears when you drive off.

What the heck??? Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
GC PEOPLE!

Whats the best way to get a sway bar onto a GC? Turns out a RX has none at all (Surprising) and I think at least a small one is needed.

quote:

SPT intake

Check shipping to Australia, I'm interested.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The holes are in the chassis. You just need the rear lateral links and mounts.
Pretty much everything up to 07 except the 02+ WRX/STI sedan has the right links. Also get mounts for an 04+ because they are better. Rear swaybar is the same for every 93-07 Impreza excluding the GD STi.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quick question: Why do Impreza wagons have one taillight with the circle part red, one without.

like this :

It's really weird.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

One is a reverse light, the other a high intensity light in some countries

Cool about sway bar - although we have found a GC WRX wreck already. Next step is obvious!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Cat Terrist posted:

Used as a the fog light in the UK. Not sure why they even bother since no one remembers to use it when it is foggy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

Cool about sway bar - although we have found a GC WRX wreck already. Next step is obvious!
Putting big daddy GD STI lat links and a larger GD rear bar on a GC makes it hilarious to drive, trust me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So I discovered my girlfriend of one month (and one month only) has bipolar disorder after she rolled my mom's Subaru on a 30 mph backroad straight away with no explanation on how the gently caress she rolled it. Automotive insanity.. literally. Well I won't be seeing her again...

Anyways, I really wanted to post about picking up a pristine blue 2005 Subaru Forester today with only 37,000 miles on it. All it needs are brakes. I got it for $7,500. I'm thinking of turning it around for 10 k. Possible?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Turns out the seam on my stock resonator is leaking. Looks simple enough to replace. Should I replace all the exhaust piping, muffler included while I'm at it? Or would it be worth it to get a cat-back system like this: http://www.streetperformance.com/part/magnaflow-performance/cat-back-exhaust-systems/1435557-16835.html I think a new muffler and resonator would be a hell of a lot cheaper, but I don't want to have to replace it again in a year.

This is for a 2006 OBS with ~82k miles that I plan to drive into the ground.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
That's an expensive way to find out someone is crazy.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You didn't hear about the part where she came home in a psychotic (and bloody) state and tried to seduce my dad in front of me. She also smashed my jeep windshield when i asked her if she was nuts. Insurance is covering both incidents.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ethanol posted:

She also smashed my jeep windshield when i asked her if she was nuts.
Some people answer questions verbally, some with body language.

As for the Forester, maybe if you sell it in the winter in the NE or Rockies.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Selling cars basically sucks. I had two people show up today, lowball me over $800, and get pissed when I didn't accept their offer. And that's just the people that showed up... The email/phone stuff is bullshit. Buying cars to flip is great until you try to sell the drat things. Maybe I'm just really bitter about it right now, but ugghhhh

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Not a Subaru, but I got a text the day after I listed my car offering $4000 of from my asking ($9k for reference).

Since then a non-response to a counter offer that I thought was low and a non-response to an offer to meet.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I had an offer of $10k cash for my STi. Asking price was almost double that. I have decided that I'll keep it, since I like the car and dealing with potential buyers is always aggravating. Go through 10 e-mails and multiple calls, for them to all of a sudden stop contacting you completely with no explanation or reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I had an offer of $10k cash for my STi. Asking price was almost double that. I have decided that I'll keep it, since I like the car and dealing with potential buyers is always aggravating. Go through 10 e-mails and multiple calls, for them to all of a sudden stop contacting you completely with no explanation or reason.

Selling a car private party for almost $20k has got to be maddening. I've only sold fairly cheap cars (under $5k), and the amount of bullshit and low balling is amazing. But at least they're like 15 year old cars. If someone offered me $10k less than a car was worth I don't know what the gently caress I'd do.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

nm posted:

Selling a car private party for almost $20k has got to be maddening. I've only sold fairly cheap cars (under $5k), and the amount of bullshit and low balling is amazing. But at least they're like 15 year old cars. If someone offered me $10k less than a car was worth I don't know what the gently caress I'd do.

I'll never understand why people get worked up over lowball offers. You just say "no thanks" and move on.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

daslog posted:

I'll never understand why people get worked up over lowball offers. You just say "no thanks" and move on.

It's just a bit frustrating when you've already dealt with nine other guys who lowballed you to a lesser degree. Do people really expect you to be so desperate that you'll take a ten thousand dollar hit? I wasn't cursing his name, but I was slightly annoyed.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It's when someone shows up, looks at the car, test drives it and says they like it. Then he asked how low I'd go. I just reiterated what my asking price was, and what did he have to offer. HALF, and then he got pissed off and started swearing at me when I told him nope, sorry dude.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

chrisgt posted:

It's when someone shows up, looks at the car, test drives it and says they like it. Then he asked how low I'd go. I just reiterated what my asking price was, and what did he have to offer. HALF, and then he got pissed off and started swearing at me when I told him nope, sorry dude.

Yea, I'd draw the line at swearing. Selling a car can be a lot of work if you want to get the best price.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

daslog posted:

Yea, I'd draw the line at swearing. Selling a car can be a lot of work if you want to get the best price.

I haven't sold a car for over 2 years now, last time I listed a car, three days later the first person who came and looked at it payed me $100 under my asking price in cash. It was the most painless sale EVER. I got spoiled by that. It seems like people aren't buying ANYTHING right now. Around the same time I listed a set of wheels FS and got my asking price within a few hours of putting up the listing. I'm selling the exact same thing for cheaper now, nothing... It's just not a sellers economy. There is SO much for sale right now, it was great buying my wagon. I got to pick and choose, and got to state my buying price. And the guy knew if he didn't take it, the thing would still be sitting there.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
The only car I ever sold went for 100% of what I asked for and 800 over blue book. I bought it for 3k in 2003 and sold it for 2.4k in 2012 :smug:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It's just a bit frustrating when you've already dealt with nine other guys who lowballed you to a lesser degree. Do people really expect you to be so desperate that you'll take a ten thousand dollar hit? I wasn't cursing his name, but I was slightly annoyed.

So you're the one guy in this world that pays over the asking price on a private sale? I low ball people and I expect to be low balled. If you want a quick sale for a slightly less than acceptable price, go to carmax and be done with it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Amandyke posted:

So you're the one guy in this world that pays over the asking price on a private sale? I low ball people and I expect to be low balled. If you want a quick sale for a slightly less than acceptable price, go to carmax and be done with it.

No, the problem is the people who waste your time, offer half the value and won't go up from that. Then it happens 15 times.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

nm posted:

No, the problem is the people who waste your time, offer half the value and won't go up from that. Then it happens 15 times.

That's just the first day.

Selling the 1989 on Craigslist (and subsequently taking it back because they were too stupid to own the car) has taught me that I don't really want to flip cars.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Viggen posted:

That's just the first day.

Selling the 1989 on Craigslist (and subsequently taking it back because they were too stupid to own the car) has taught me that I don't really want to flip cars.

As I said, flipping cars sounds like a great way to make thousands of dollars. Until you deal with actually selling them.

nm posted:

Oh yes indeed. Fuckers. I'm getting really tired of craigslist.

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser
Alright, I'm getting worried here...

I've been shopping for a totally stock '04-'05 STi, with less than 100K miles but unfortunately I live in Wyoming, and a small town at that. There doesn't seem to be any STi within 400 miles. I keep reading all these threads about ringlands and head gaskets and synchros and it's getting me pretty worried, especially if I'm gonna have to fly 500-1000 miles and drive a car back.

While I certainly have the ability to work on the car (I mean I did own 3 MK3 Supras) it's going to be my only vehicle and I don't even want to think about replacing a short block with a -40 wind chill and no garage. Plus, if it breaks down on the side of the road around here, it might be a long time before someone comes along.

What are the real odds of catastrophic failure on a bone stock STi? Am I just supposed to try to pick one with minimal mileage and some service records and hope for the best? The way people seem to go on about it, I should just buy a short block and a set of synchros before I bring the car home.

^^ On a side note, I just sold my 1984 Porsche 944 to the first guy to look at it and we haggled $200.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

spipedong posted:

I've been shopping for a totally stock '04-'05 STi, with less than 100K miles but unfortunately I live in Wyoming, and a small town at that. There doesn't seem to be any STi within 400 miles. I keep reading all these threads about ringlands and head gaskets and synchros and it's getting me pretty worried, especially if I'm gonna have to fly 500-1000 miles and drive a car back.

While I certainly have the ability to work on the car (I mean I did own 3 MK3 Supras) it's going to be my only vehicle and I don't even want to think about replacing a short block with a -40 wind chill and no garage. Plus, if it breaks down on the side of the road around here, it might be a long time before someone comes along.

What are the real odds of catastrophic failure on a bone stock STi? Am I just supposed to try to pick one with minimal mileage and some service records and hope for the best? The way people seem to go on about it, I should just buy a short block and a set of synchros before I bring the car home.

^^ On a side note, I just sold my 1984 Porsche 944 to the first guy to look at it and we haggled $200.

Chances are very bad for a failure. Even if it had a cracked ring land it would be drivable likely without issue. The 6 speeds in the still are drat near bullet proof.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

spipedong posted:

08+ got silly putty pistons. The 6 speed is a juggernaut. If I were looking for an STi, it would be a GD chassis one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
04-06 STIs are dead nuts reliable.

Don't buy from an obvious idiot and you should be fine.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What happened in '07 that made them more failure prone?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Neptr posted:

Something about their bearings as I recall.

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
I've actually been considering buying an 06 STI... but I kind of would want to find one around 30k miles, which is basically impossible at this point. So I'm just giving up until the 2014 WRX.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Something about their bearings as I recall.

No its the pistons you stupid gently caress. I said it three posts up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514571
vvvvvvv

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Slow is Fast posted:

No its the pistons you stupid gently caress. I said it three posts up.

:stare:

I trust I'm missing something in this exchange.

Bombtrack
Dec 2, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Due to the gas situation on Long Island I had to put 87 octane in my 04 WRX, I assume I should be ok as long as I take it easy?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bombtrack posted:

Due to the gas situation on Long Island I had to put 87 octane in my 04 WRX, I assume I should be ok as long as I take it easy?

Oh dear god. Not just go easy but granny it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Neptr posted:

The stock tune is significantly more compromised for emissions reasons, making it go dangerously lean near the open/closed loop transition. In addition they also started to cheap out on piston construction near this time, though it's not as bad as the 08 piston ringlands issue "yet". Bearings and big end construction should be generally the same as any other EJ257.

If you get an 07 STI that's been on the stock tune for a long time I'd just budget for an engine rebuild somewhere down the line, and definitely get someone to throw a new tune on it. A compression and leakdown test is something I would strongly urge for any turbo Subaru but especially for the 07-13 models. Hopefully 2014+ with the FB turbo will allow Subaru to run a safer stock tune and retain good economy and emissions.

This thread mentions it, though I remember seeing a much more in-depth analysis somewhere else: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2044748

I can get a few dyno charts from my tuner that show the problems with the 07+ tunes. Pretty much no modern car comes stock with forged pistons for emissions reasons (cold start is basically burping delicious piston-slappy poison into the atmosphere). "Hypereuctectic" cast pistons were used in all the 2.5L turbos, just that the 07+ tune is prone to expose the problem under high load/boost conditions.

The 07 STI does have some nice benefits to it, like more comfortable gear ratios for street driving (also to cut a shift out of the 0-60 time), a stereo aux-in port and most importantly the option of getting an STI Limited. I know plenty of people who have put tons of mileage on their 07 STIs including race abuse with no problems.

07 must have been an interesting time at Subaru; after putting out the phenomenal 06 WRX and 06 STI which were undoubtedly spare-no-expense vehicles aimed at conquering the US market, they went back on a lot of the nice features. The WRX and STI lost their aluminum control arms, lat links and (in the case of the WRX) hood, and the STI has a cheaper Torsen rear diff instead of a helical.

Bombtrack posted:

Try as hard as you can to not hit boost. Granny the gently caress out of it and upload a valet tune if at all possible.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 6, 2012

spipedong
Nov 17, 2005
registered loser

Slow is Fast posted:

08+ got silly putty pistons. The 6 speed is a juggernaut. If I were looking for an STi, it would be a GD chassis one.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That certainly helps a little. I'm just trying to be extra careful since I can't just go look at something and think about it. I've got to be certain I want the car basically sight unseen.

How about the thing I keep hearing about oil pickup tubes cracking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Amandyke posted:

A#1: I would be fine with a little lowballing, but $10k? Give me a break. Are you the guy that offers me half my asking price then gets offended when I say no?
B#2: Carmax doesn't exist around me.