Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
My buddy swears there was a hilariously trashy segment from like 1999 where Brisco and Patterson assaulted Chyna and used their hands to cover her in powder or chalk or something and I'm convinced he's just making it up, because not only do I not remember it, but I can't find anything about it and I really want to prove conclusively whether he's right or wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Sugar Blaster posted:

My buddy swears there was a hilariously trashy segment from like 1999 where Brisco and Patterson assaulted Chyna and used their hands to cover her in powder or chalk or something and I'm convinced he's just making it up, because not only do I not remember it, but I can't find anything about it and I really want to prove conclusively whether he's right or wrong.

Sorry. It happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy6V_rBI3nQ#t=12m30s

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

I loving hate professional wrestling.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

it's really the worst.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I like that they blurred it when Brisco went for her chest.

I also like that Pat Patterson was in on it.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Burrito posted:

Vince was trying to turn him straight like those preachers in the States. Chyna's kind of a half way house

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

apsouthern posted:

Vince was trying to turn him straight like those preachers in the States. Chyna's kind of a half way house

Something that Chyna is now used to

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Burrito posted:

The only slightly funny thing about the video is Pat apparently being disgusted by the boobs and shaking the cooties off his hands like a little girl.

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

Sugar Blaster posted:

It hates you back. :smith:

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Jack Krauser posted:

Been watching some old RAWs from around 2005 and noticed the announce team and location was changed. Was this to differentiate it from Smackdown or something else? I know JR had to go away for a while because of surgery, but why replace him with Coachman? Ugh.

I read an ugly rumor that it was because JR isn't very photogenic (as compared to Cole or Tazz or King... ouch) ergo they moved the announce table so his fat face wouldn't distract people whenever that side of the ring is filmed.

Sounds retarded but unfortuneately I have no trouble believing it. :bahgawd:

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
You are talking about a period of time in which Andre The Giant was still alive and Earthquake was still wrestling. I'll say false.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Save Russian Jews posted:

You are talking about a period of time in which Andre The Giant was still alive and Earthquake was still wrestling. I'll say false.

Unless you're making a joke that I missed, neither of those things were true.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Web Jew.0 posted:

I read an ugly rumor that it was because JR isn't very photogenic (as compared to Cole or Tazz or King... ouch) ergo they moved the announce table so his fat face wouldn't distract people whenever that side of the ring is filmed.

It sounds like something Vince would do so sure, I confirm this story to be true.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Web Jew.0 posted:

JR is fat, Southern, and loves wrestling.

Vince McMahon hates all those things.

I recall someone (Cornette?) saying Kevin Dunn had a hand in it too - look at the long long LONG list of pretty boy announcers that have come and gone in the company.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Minges posted:

Unless you're making a joke that I missed, neither of those things were true.

oh wow, I did not see the 2005 on that earlier post, I thought he meant in the 90s.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
can someone tell me what is all involved in this pg wwe poo poo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Professor Skittles posted:

can someone tell me what is all involved in this pg wwe poo poo?

There's a wider variety of demographics they are allowed to directly market for/advertise to if their product is rated PG. If it was still full of sexual themes, near-nudity, swear words and brutal bloodletting, they'd be attacked for doing any kind of marketing/advertising towards children and have to deal with all kinds of parental watchdog groups insane with rage over not being able to use their television as a babysitter or leave their children unsupervised.

Professor Skittles
Jul 10, 2008
i know there's no blading, no chair shots to the head. and i'm hearing they can't even swear? is there anything else banned? hasn't the wwe always been targeted by parental watch dog groups?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
Where was Rey Mysterio on the card when Eddie was alive? When Eddie died did they just throw him in the world title scene after the Royal Rumble 2006 or did they actually have plans of him having a world title run?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

BillyMays posted:

Where was Rey Mysterio on the card when Eddie was alive? When Eddie died did they just throw him in the world title scene after the Royal Rumble 2006 or did they actually have plans of him having a world title run?

Upper midcard guy. No plans to give him the belt previous to Eddie's death at the time. Most people would say the death of Eddie was the reason he won the RR and the belt.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Professor Skittles posted:

i know there's no blading, no chair shots to the head. and i'm hearing they can't even swear? is there anything else banned? hasn't the wwe always been targeted by parental watch dog groups?

Swearing still happens sometimes, though nothing like it used to be (no more "assholes", very infrequent use of rear end etc) but every so often stuff slips through or is allowed, like when Mae Young called LayCool "bitches and sluts" recently.

Anything even REMOTELY not utterly puritan that a kid might someday be within 450 miles of will be the target of parental watch dog groups - WWE got blamed for a kid who died jumping off a roof once, because he was "clearly" emulating Jeff Hardy despite the fact the kid was wearing a cape and trying to fly.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
He just didn't take Jeff Hardy's magic dust.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burrito posted:

He just didn't take Jeff Hardy's magic dust.

This is what CM Punk was trying to warn us about!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember now a bit in Foley's book where he mentions doing one of those current affairs shows about wrestling's influence on children. They showed him two videos of backyard wrestling, in the first some kids of loving about with headlocks and overly exaggerated elbow-drops and wild overselling etc, and they ask him for his thoughts, he replies,"Looks like a lot of fun!"

Then they show him the second video, in which dumbasses are going through tables, cutting themselves up, jumping off of high stuff etc, and they ask him for his thoughts, he replies,"That's dreadful, what they're doing is foolish and I have to ask where the hell their parents are?"

He then gives a long interview talking about how trained wrestlers are and how they make a big deal of warning people "don't try this at home" and talking about the need for personal responsibility. Finally the episode aired on television, with a cut up version of the interview followed by,"Next we showed Mr. Foley a video..." and then footage of the second tape with the dumbasses, followed by Foley going,"LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN! :haw:"

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Jerusalem posted:

I remember now a bit in Foley's book where he mentions doing one of those current affairs shows about wrestling's influence on children. They showed him two videos of backyard wrestling, in the first some kids of loving about with headlocks and overly exaggerated elbow-drops and wild overselling etc, and they ask him for his thoughts, he replies,"Looks like a lot of fun!"

Then they show him the second video, in which dumbasses are going through tables, cutting themselves up, jumping off of high stuff etc, and they ask him for his thoughts, he replies,"That's dreadful, what they're doing is foolish and I have to ask where the hell their parents are?"

He then gives a long interview talking about how trained wrestlers are and how they make a big deal of warning people "don't try this at home" and talking about the need for personal responsibility. Finally the episode aired on television, with a cut up version of the interview followed by,"Next we showed Mr. Foley a video..." and then footage of the second tape with the dumbasses, followed by Foley going,"LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN! :haw:"

Having worked as a journalist, I never got how people could pull that sort of bullshit. Unscrupulous. I never worked anywhere that high profile (there wasn't a whole lot of pressure to come up with controversial stories working for the newspaper in Butt gently caress, Nova Scotia), but I don't understand how you can gently caress with somebody like that.

Remember when Cena got screwed by editing? Some news show was doing a special on wrestling (I think it was post-Benoit) and asked him if he'd ever done steroids and he said absolutely not, but went on to talk about other guys in the industry who'd say "no, but you'll never be able to prove I'm on anything anyway," or something to that effect, and they edited it so he was giving the second part as his answer. WWE was taping the interview as well, though, and they showed the full clip on their site.

The thing that always struck me about that one was that, if I recall correctly, it was actually a pretty well done report and was fairly well researched. But that one bit of douchey editing ruins it all.

It also sucks that these shitheels never get called out on it and it doesn't get corrected. Unless you were checking out WWE.com that day, or read Foley's piece in his book, you'd never know what happened and you'd assume Foley was an rear end in a top hat and Cena had basically admitted to being on 'roids.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 18, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I believe Foley actually was really mad about it and called up WWE asking what they could do about it, and they basically said,"We filmed the interview ourselves in full so we know what was in it, but actually going after these guys would do more harm than good because it would be painted as us trying to shut down the media for getting "the truth" out" - or something along those lines, anyway.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

whatsabattle posted:

JR is fat, Southern, and loves wrestling.

Vince McMahon hates all those things.

He doesn't just hate them, he resents them. He despises people being fat because he sees it as a lack of self-control, at the same time that he does bodybuilding and hates sneezing or sleeping because they're losing a fight against your body. He despises the south because he grew up as a redneck kid in a trailer in North Carolina. He hates wrestling because it's considered low-brow and something his father was respected for and used to build a business promoting one of the most successful territories in the world that he gave to his son, so tries to sell himself as a sports entertainment producer so he seems like a self-made man.

Vince doesn't hate JR, he hates himself.

Jerusalem posted:

That's actually better than what happened. He knew what was coming, was trying to be careful about getting taken out of context, and said "That looks like a lot of fun, but I bet what you're going to show me next is different." They cut his quote in half then pretty much did slander through editing.

Perry Normal posted:

Remember when Cena got screwed by editing? Some news show was doing a special on wrestling (I think it was post-Benoit) and asked him if he'd ever done steroids and he said absolutely not, but went on to talk about other guys in the industry who'd say "no, but you'll never be able to prove I'm on anything anyway," or something to that effect, and they edited it so he was giving the second part as his answer.

You're pretty off on this. He was talking about how he is accused of using steroids and basically said "You'll never prove that I am, but you'll never believe me if I say I'm not." He was talking about himself and even though they used it out of context it wound up being a dumb comment for him to make. It wasn't as bad as Foley who they showed him responding to a clip he wasn't talking about.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Either way, I still think its pretty slimey.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

Having worked as a journalist, I never got how people could pull that sort of bullshit. Unscrupulous.

The people who do newsmagazine shows usually aren't so much journalists as they are human garbage. Bill O' Reilly was on one of 'em, after all.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The people who do newsmagazine shows usually aren't so much journalists as they are human garbage. Bill O' Reilly was on one of 'em, after all.

Yeah man, Morley Safer sucks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah man, Morley Safer sucks.

There are exceptions, sure- 60 Minutes still stays in mostly respectable territory, Frontline's pretty good, but for every one of those there's a Dateline or A Current Affair or something that's just sleazy as all get out. (I think it's something like a 3:1 ratio.)

And even in the less sensationalistic media, "Pro wrestling is hurting our children" is a more ratings-grabbing narrative than "Pro wrestling can be a dangerous endeavor and is best performed by people who have training and in a controlled environment."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is having a "Jr." on someone's name another one of those things that Vince McMahon hates? Because there's no good reason for Ted Dibiase not to have a "Jr." at the end. Unlike Rey Mysterio, Teds entire gimmick revolves around who his father is.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Minidust posted:

Is having a "Jr." on someone's name another one of those things that Vince McMahon hates? Because there's no good reason for Ted Dibiase not to have a "Jr." at the end. Unlike Rey Mysterio, Teds entire gimmick revolves around who his father is.

He can't stand it for some reason. It's why we have Chavo Classic.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Minidust posted:

When Vince was coming up in the wrestling business, he was always Vince McMahon, Jr., and most of the boys would refer to him as just "Junior." (He's not actually a Junior, him and his father don't share the same middle name.) It was mainly used the differentiate Vince the Younger and Vince the Elder, but there was also some light ribbing involved, and Vince grew to resent it. As Vince gained more power and screwed over more people, Junior became the go to insult-shoot-name for Vince, and you'll see a lot of the older guys who have something against him using it to refer to him in interviews. So, because of these personal hangups, he's always found the name "Jr." to designate someone lesser than their father or original namesake, so he tends to avoid using it with wrestlers, even when it makes sense and would clear up the confusion of having two guys show up with the same name.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

El Duke posted:

When Vince was coming up in the wrestling business, he was always Vince McMahon, Jr., and most of the boys would refer to him as just "Junior." (He's not actually a Junior, him and his father don't share the same middle name.) It was mainly used the differentiate Vince the Younger and Vince the Elder, but there was also some light ribbing involved, and Vince grew to resent it. As Vince gained more power and screwed over more people, Junior became the go to insult-shoot-name for Vince, and you'll see a lot of the older guys who have something against him using it to refer to him in interviews. So, because of these personal hangups, he's always found the name "Jr." to designate someone lesser than their father or original namesake, so he tends to avoid using it with wrestlers, even when it makes sense and would clear up the confusion of having two guys show up with the same name.

To add; it's old fashioned and stupid to name your son the same name as yourself.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

He also told Cole to stop calling Rey "Rey-Rey" because of how childish it sounded. I agree with his decision.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Sugar Blaster posted:

He also told Cole to stop calling Rey "Rey-Rey" because of how childish it sounded. I agree with his decision.

Yeah, I always loving hated that nickname. So good on Vince, there.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

MisterGBH posted:

To add; it's old fashioned and stupid to name your son the same name as yourself.

To add; Rey Mysterio didn't get his name from his dad.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

To add; Rey Mysterio didn't get his name from his dad.

I was refering in a general sense not Rey in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

El Duke posted:

This is pretty fascinating. Now I'm wondering how many questions can be answered with "Vince McMahon sees that in himself and secretly resents it".

So how big is Batista's-- you know what, never mind.