Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Javid posted:

The big issue is that Onstad does it well, and most people you describe do not.

Eh. Sometimes seeing something imitated badly makes you realize the thing being imitated is kinda facile and hack-y in and of itself.

Also it's just irritating to hear people talk about their hometown/childhood experiences like it's loving Penny Lane. Everyone had those experiences, and they're really only significant to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It also has a stopwatch.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

It also has a stopwatch.

Tony Robbins one is the best one for ray imho.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ryonguy posted:

Tony Robbins one is the best one for ray imho.

I need to learn to make a bloody mary.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They're an abomination.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
it’s spicy tomato juice, green olives and vodka (or gin or whatever PLEASE I do NOT want to argue about this)

what’s to hate. or, love, really.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A.o.D. posted:

They're an abomination.

Your face and/or butt is an abomination.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The main issue with a bloody mary for me is that I don't keep tomato juice in the house as a habit, so I could only ever make one if I went out of my way to get it.

This probably isn't a problem for Ray

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Sorry for the excess nostalgia.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I mean, it's more or less known and understood by everyone involved that those kinds of experiences are special to the person who had them and not to anyone else. The exercise is to try to share one's own personal nostalgic experiences with others. There are a lot of different tools we can use to do that, and one of Onstad's is the use of disarmingly flowery language.

But I don't think he thinks his experiences are special. I think he's just trying to communicate them to others in the form of stories, because that's how we connect to others.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think I've ever encountered people doing this but the part of my brain that loves trash very much wants to find some examples. Is this an IRL thing or are there examples online I could go and find in the manner of a raccoon feasting on fish heads?

Also, I just noticed that those automated diary strips take place on my birthday. It is nice to find a birthday strip.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does anyone have the sinus infection strip handy? I tried to find it but I’m all kinds of gorked on percriptiona right now and it doesn’t look like it’s on the indexed strips for search. You’d make my day a bit less shite if you find it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does anyone have the sinus infection strip handy? I tried to find it but I’m all kinds of gorked on percriptiona right now and it doesn’t look like it’s on the indexed strips for search. You’d make my day a bit less shite if you find it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

You loving rule, thanks.

“It got to where every cough ended with a whimper” is about where I am now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the leg talks from the bone

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Someone post the strip where Roast Beef crushes his nards and Ray asks him "how come?"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

done

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
On Friday, Leo Fontanette died in a corn field.

Man, I almost knew that alt text by heart. Almost. Leo's surname was all that escaped me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

his surname is BIG... human being... BOAT...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Who What Now posted:

Someone post the strip where Roast Beef crushes his nards and Ray asks him "how come?"

Ray also had Gotcha jams on

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
he died with rockin' thighs

edit: well that posted awkardly

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This poo poo is Druid. This poo poo is Easter Island. This poo poo is Druid people on Easter Island, man.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always liked that that was Nice Pete's leg from when Ray was gonna carve him up all pro ice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Phy we got the chessboard out

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It looks more like the garlic hosed the pear.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I woke up this morning and my entire life was just a swirling void of “you should do a deep Achewood read through but also the blogs” and now I’m gonna print the out all over at work to see if anyone gets it...

They won’t they are all college age millenials

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I woke up this morning and my entire life was just a swirling void of “you should do a deep Achewood read through but also the blogs” and now I’m gonna print the out all over at work to see if anyone gets it...

They won’t they are all college age millenials

I don't think you know what millennials are.. The sickness is inside you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
psst, the kids in college are all gen z.

Unless, of course, by "millenials" you mean "that nebulous group of youngsters who is to blame for every single problem in society" then carry on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/achewood/status/1007422939040321536

Potential future scheming, eh?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does Flava Flav actually have a blinking tooth

Because I told my wife I had heard that he did, in front of her mother and stepfather, at the dinner table

I would like to not have fed my in-laws falsehoods at the dinner table

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Does Flava Flav actually have a blinking tooth

Because I told my wife I had heard that he did, in front of her mother and stepfather, at the dinner table

I would like to not have fed my in-laws falsehoods at the dinner table

Who knows? He did do this though.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"May I entreat my lady to play at whist?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I got treated to Olive Garden for this, though she wouldn't tell me why

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Any given Olive Garden may be in dangerous proximity to The Cure.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If Olive Garden is in the general vicinity of the cure, I'd rather have the disease.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Halloween Jack posted:

Any given Olive Garden may be in dangerous proximity to The Cure.

How you feeling now that you're on the moon, Halloween Jack?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Pretty good now that I am 239,000 miles from Neutral Milk Hotel

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Hundreds of years from now, archaeologists are going to think we were all nimrods."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The next strip leads into the metal cantilever cellphone underwear arc, which as ever is impossible to resist a re-read of. Genuinely sublime.

"Look at me! Look at the GENIUS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Android Blues posted:

The next strip leads into the metal cantilever cellphone underwear arc, which as ever is impossible to resist a re-read of. Genuinely sublime.

"Look at me! Look at the GENIUS!"

Yeah, you weren’t kidding. Ended up re-reading the whole thing even though trying to read achewood on a phone is painful.