Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Direwolf posted:

So I did pretty poorly on one of my exams, and emailed my professor to ask for some feedback on what I did wrong and how I can improve - his response included the tidbit (paraphrasing)"If this is how you did on my exam, I question how well you do on any of your exams"

Don't go, no jobs, die alone, mocked by your professors.

"I fared much better on my other exams; the only variable was the quality of lecturing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
I got my first (and only? can't remember) A+ from Douglas Ginsburg. Look at me now!

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

I have literally never gotten one A in law school (because we're on the HP/P/LP system) (though even then my transcript is basically straight P's) (basically I never stood out in law school, not even in a bad way)

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
I got my one and only A (so far but I don't count on getting another one) because I was in a moot aka guaranteed A.

Also, articling interviews are the worst.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
This semester I got four B+'s. It didn't matter if I thought it was the best exam I ever took (secured transactions) or if I took it hungover (admin). Or if I studied the poo poo out of it or if I knew every answer in class (corps, evidence). At least it's easy to remember how well I did in any particular class. Goddamn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

"I fared much better on my other exams; the only variable was the quality of lecturing."
Please reply like this.
He'll never be a reference anyhow.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

This sounds exactly like the crim prof I'm going to have this fall.

Yeah, but aren't you at HYS? No one expects them to teach you guys anything else.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Direwolf posted:

So I did pretty poorly on one of my exams, and emailed my professor to ask for some feedback on what I did wrong and how I can improve - his response included the tidbit (paraphrasing)"If this is how you did on my exam, I question how well you do on any of your exams"

Send the whole email to ATL and include your professor's name.

Unless you're not at a T14 (T30 if you're an optimist) in which case he's just doing you a favor.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

prussian advisor posted:

They don't really get any better than this one.
This is super goofy and fun to watch. Quite the change of pace from Deadly Premonition, but I think that's a good thing. Thanks, LP friend!

Abugadu posted:

Find the "Scotsman in Egypt" LP of Medieval II: Total War that Jerusalem did a few years ago.
I've read the first few entries and this one is going to be a blast. Will definitely be taking my time with this LP -- thanks!

LP > lawtalk.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

This semester I got four B+'s. It didn't matter if I thought it was the best exam I ever took (secured transactions) or if I took it hungover (admin). Or if I studied the poo poo out of it or if I knew every answer in class (corps, evidence). At least it's easy to remember how well I did in any particular class. Goddamn.

Yeah, when I realized this pattern for myself it was pretty much the end of my ability to study.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, when I realized this pattern for myself it was pretty much the end of my ability to study.

I know a million other people have said this but it turned out no less true for me--as my time and effort invested in any particular class went down, my grades invariably increased. Law school is just ridiculous.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

billion dollar bitch posted:

This is the same for me this semester, except replace "B+" with "B-" :gonk:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prussian advisor posted:

I know a million other people have said this but it turned out no less true for me--as my time and effort invested in any particular class went down, my grades invariably increased. Law school is just ridiculous.
This happened to me too.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.
Any lawgoons licensed in Colorado and preferably near Boulder available for some IP/copyright work with a publisher? No idea what they're looking for specifically, the rate they want to pay, or for how long.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is the same for me this semester, except replace "B+" with "B-" :gonk:

welcome to the catfood pit

it's all tuna down here

prussian advisor posted:

my grades jumped a lot from my first year to my second year and it gets mentioned sometimes in interviews when the dudes are looking through transcripts. I've always been honest and said "well I basically stopped studying"

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 7, 2011

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

hypocrite lecteur posted:

it's all tuna down here

loving fat cat lawyers

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

my grades jumped a lot from my first year to my second year and it gets mentioned sometimes in interviews when the dudes are looking through transcripts. I've always been honest and said "well I basically stopped studying"

That is all kinds of awesome.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

MoFauxHawk posted:

loving fat cat lawyers

the only job that would keep me in the US at this point is "cat lawyer"

a cat that is also a lawyer: best of both worlds

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Adar posted:

the only job that would keep me in the US at this point is "cat lawyer"

a cat that is also a lawyer: best of both worlds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

We all know the job would be more like this. (Except for the photo of the family on that wall. You're gonna be pettin' cats, not starting a family!)

(Dug from the archives, not mine)

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 7, 2011

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003

it's all tuna down here

Sometimes the less you know of the details, the clearer is your analysis of the big picture issues. For professors that don't use rubrics (i.e., 2 pts for X issue, 1 pt for Y issue, 3 pts for Z issue), your test just reads better than the guy who went on a two-page foray into some random sub-issue in the context of the big issue.

Professors are also lazy.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bathing Jesus posted:

Sometimes the less you know of the details, the clearer is your analysis of the big picture issues. For professors that don't use rubrics (i.e., 2 pts for X issue, 1 pt for Y issue, 3 pts for Z issue), your test just reads better than the guy who went on a two-page foray into some random sub-issue in the context of the big issue.

Professors are also lazy.

yup that's exactly it. know the one or two big cases and the cases that articulate or expand upon the big cases' tests, and then have all the little cases and policy poo poo in a concise outline or marked in your text so you can find it on the offchance you actually need it. next stop, bonertown

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
Any un- or minimally-employed Nevada lawgoons please PM me!! Thanks and god bless

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

IrritationX posted:

Any lawgoons licensed in Colorado and preferably near Boulder available for some IP/copyright work with a publisher? No idea what they're looking for specifically, the rate they want to pay, or for how long.

PM me.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

IrritationX posted:

Let me hopefully be able to get back to you sometime in October...

Forever Zero
Apr 29, 2007
DUMB AS ROCKS
What are some of your worst gunner stories?

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
day after day for three years raising your hand to vomit irrelevant hypotheticals and the shove and push your way to the prof with all the enthusiasm of a runt piglet has for his mom's tit after class to continue doing so

being an awful gunner isn't a "gimme some awful stories" thing. it's not about being exceptional. it's about obliviousness. people wishing you'd shut up for actual years without you ever getting it

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

PM me.

Sent.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

day after day for three years raising your hand to vomit irrelevant hypotheticals and the shove and push your way to the prof with all the enthusiasm of a runt piglet has for his mom's tit after class to continue doing so

being an awful gunner isn't a "gimme some awful stories" thing. it's not about being exceptional. it's about obliviousness. people wishing you'd shut up for actual years without you ever getting it

It's about being so completely headstrong and face-first into the system that you buy into it so loving completely and desperately want to know more about what they're force-feeding you for three years.

Or it's about showing people how smart you are.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I think I've mentioned both of my gunner stories before, but most of my 1L classes were with a guy who insisted on arguing based on his notions of fairness. I mean, I hate to be another cog in the morally bankrupt system of whatever, but it's "law school" not "seems fair school."

The other one was a guy who kept presenting hypotheticals to the point that the professor said "So what you want to know is: if the facts were different, and the law was different, would the result be different? Yes."

Had multiple classes with him, too. Ugh.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I had one who wasn't so much of a 'gunner' in that it wasn't like he was trying to show off, he just had incredibly bad ideas and wanted to share them.

I think it was in Civil Procedure that he argued for the removal of lawyers from the legal process, making everything Judge Judy-style.

He dropped out after 1L year to run a copy shop.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I am for some reason totally hooked on this thread, and previous threads, even though I've never had the slightest interest in law, law school, or any of this stuff. Maybe I just like reading about other people's misery (sorry).

Anyway, was talking to a very nice gal tonight who's going to law school in KC in the fall. Her reason for going? "Oh, I dunno, seems like an OK idea. I'm not really sure I want to do anything with law though. I figure if I make it through the first year I'll be OK."

I didn't have the heart to dissuade her. Sorry thread, I let you down.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I am for some reason totally hooked on this thread, and previous threads, even though I've never had the slightest interest in law, law school, or any of this stuff. Maybe I just like reading about other people's misery (sorry).

Anyway, was talking to a very nice gal tonight who's going to law school in KC in the fall. Her reason for going? "Oh, I dunno, seems like an OK idea. I'm not really sure I want to do anything with law though. I figure if I make it through the first year I'll be OK."

I didn't have the heart to dissuade her. Sorry thread, I let you down.

UMKC, huh? Hope she likes the metro area.

Anthropolis
Jun 9, 2002

The less studying -> better grades phenomenon is just the forced curve at work. If you've stopped studying in favor of planning your suicide, chances are so has everyone else in the class. Everyone wins!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

prussian advisor posted:

Yep. Although my grades from seminars with papers actually did reflect the amount of effort that I put in.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Forever Zero posted:

Hanging out with gunners socially is ten times worse than any of the poo poo they pull in class. I'm talking the true believers now, not the grade-grubbing variety.

GamingOdor
Jun 8, 2001
The stench of chips.

Anthropolis posted:

The less studying -> better grades phenomenon is just the forced curve at work. If you've stopped studying in favor of planning your suicide, chances are so has everyone else in the class. Everyone wins!

This is true. I am one of the people that dropped down into the Gentleman C side of the curve my last semester. But I really didn't do poo poo after I learned I was getting a great non-legal job. I took my take home finals on a topless Miami beach while drinking mojitos so I'm sure I had a few Freudian slips in there. I also met my body building and drunk golfing goals during the semester.

I hated paying tuition for 3L year but goddamn did I have some good times.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Classes in which I "studied harder" for the exam, it tended not to matter grade-wise.

Classes in which I paid more attention over the course of the semester, it showed every single time. All my As are in classes where I cared about the subject matter enough to show up and listen in every class.

Favorite gunner story was a kid who, at the end of a crimpro lecture, raised his hand. Professor had been talking for a while, looks up at the clock, sees it's about 2 minutes til class ends. He says "OK, but you can only have 2 minutes." Kid gets very offended by this and says, loudly and in a very offended voice, "But you already had 10 minutes!"

Hated both the professor and the kid. Still laugh when I think about that.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Kalman posted:

Favorite gunner story was a kid who, at the end of a crimpro lecture, raised his hand. Professor had been talking for a while, looks up at the clock, sees it's about 2 minutes til class ends. He says "OK, but you can only have 2 minutes." Kid gets very offended by this and says, loudly and in a very offended voice, "But you already had 10 minutes!"

Hated both the professor and the kid. Still laugh when I think about that.

Forcing class to run late with their bullshit questions and being oblivious to everyone hating their guts is probably the definitive gunner trait. I applaud your prof for at least attempting to nip it in the bud even if it failed.

Also the worst in-class gunners seem like they're always poor or average students at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Forever Zero posted:

I went to the dude's house for pizza the week before the exam to score brownie points. Only two other people came. I got really sick for about a week right afterwards. Got a P in the class (our equivalent to whatever your curve is - B, B+ whatever). So, me being a pissing in the wind gunner in one class *outside of the classroom* jeopardized my entire semester and made for a rough finals period overall.

Grades are slowly trickling in and thus far it's the only class I didn't beat the curve. And how appropriate.