Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

d3rt posted:

People like me like dual screens because its quick and easy to move windows between the two. Are you guys with ultra wides using software to 'split' it into two? Or just buying two ultra wides? As far as I can tell, Windows 8.1 doesn't support doing this natively, unless you count their lovely 'apps'.

WinKey + left/right or drag the window to the left or right sides of the screen. poo poo is native in 8.1 and 10; 10 also has added native four way splitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Wasabi the J posted:

WinKey + left/right or drag the window to the left or right sides of the screen. poo poo is native in 8.1 and 10; 10 also has added native four way splitting.
That poo poo has been native since at least Win7, I think (win + up/down will also maximize/minimize).

For more "advanced" screen splitting, there are some 3rd party apps, depending on what you want to do. Some actually split a single monitor into smaller "virtual" monitors so you can (theoretically, anyhow, I've never tried them myself) have full screen applications run on only part of the screen. Others keep the screen as a whole, but divvy it up into smaller bits that are easy to snap windows to, giving you a bit more utility out of 21:9 monitors than a simple left half/right half.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I'm getting mine tomorrow, will see if I can disable overdrive and get a better Freesync range in return. What the hell does Overdrive do for me anyway?

Keep overdrive on, you'll have godawful motion blurring otherwise. Even the fastest of TN screens look like arse without some form of overdrive.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

BurritoJustice posted:

Keep overdrive on, you'll have godawful motion blurring otherwise. Even the fastest of TN screens look like arse without some form of overdrive.

The Asus MG279Q is an IPS screen?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

The Asus MG279Q is an IPS screen?

Yes, which is why it is even worse to not have overdrive. IPS screens need overdrive even more than TN screens.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Yes, which is why it is even worse to not have overdrive. IPS screens need overdrive even more than TN screens.

Ah, okay misunderstood you. I take it then that most other Freesync monitors have either ghosting issues or are TN panels?

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
The OP is a billion years old and I'm assuming everything has moved on incredibly far since 2010. Is there a general goon-recommended "this will do you just fine" monitor for between £100-200 that's emerged recently. Googling all those Dell numbers in the second post get me ancient used monitors from one seller on amazon, and I'd prefer to unbox something with a warranty.

Any advice?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Ah, okay misunderstood you. I take it then that most other Freesync monitors have either ghosting issues or are TN panels?

Haha, nah. All the other Freesync panels are both TN and have ghosting problems :science: .

Left is GSync TN (the XB270HU is IPS and has even less ghosting, mind), middle is FreeSync TN and right is FreeSync IPS. It is bad with TN but it is super bad with IPS. Freesync typically lacking overdrive is a real let down.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Wasabi the J posted:

TIL.

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh shi, is the Acer XB270HU that I bought based on recommendation here going to have terrible ghosting?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
No, no it won't.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

d3rt posted:

Oh shi, is the Acer XB270HU that I bought based on recommendation here going to have terrible ghosting?

If you get lucky like me and get one without bleed issues or dead pixels you will be super super happy with the thing I promise.

The only complaints I have are it only having a single input so plugging in my laptop to work from home is a 60 second process instead of a 15 second one and this thread and the GPU thread have me convinced that SLIed 970s aren't enough power to run the thing.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm betting that my XB270HU being refurbished from the manufacturer means they fixed potential stuck pixels/excessive IPS glow to avoid another return on the same unit. If not...I'll be playing the return game for a while I guess. At least I'll have my current monitor in the meantime if it goes sour.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

pr0zac posted:

If you get lucky like me and get one without bleed issues or dead pixels you will be super super happy with the thing I promise.

The only complaints I have are it only having a single input so plugging in my laptop to work from home is a 60 second process instead of a 15 second one and this thread and the GPU thread have me convinced that SLIed 970s aren't enough power to run the thing.

Yeah I got lucky as well with mine and (much like a lottery winner) do not regret buying my ticket, as it were.

I have SLI 970s as well and the nice thing about GSync is you just crank it all up and who gives a darn if the framerate is low sometimes. I did spend years on a laptop content with sometimes hitting 30fps if I was lucky so I may be undemanding in that area. I wouldn't do SLI again, though, just because of the random SLI-specific headaches.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Parker Lewis posted:

Valve and Blizzard games (other than WoW which works great) being locked to 16:9 is a drag. NBA 2K15 doesn't have any ultrawide support either. Having to use hacks like Flawless Widescreen to enable/fix 21:9 for games like Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I will say that I have had a pretty high success rate of games that I've been wanting to play having native support for 21:9, probably better than 75%.
Uh, I play Diablo 3 at 3440x1440 or 2560x1080. Try borderless window mode.

Ultra wide resolution support is awesome though when you can get it.

d3rt posted:

People like me like dual screens because its quick and easy to move windows between the two. Are you guys with ultra wides using software to 'split' it into two? Or just buying two ultra wides? As far as I can tell, Windows 8.1 doesn't support doing this natively, unless you count their lovely 'apps'.
I don't like the bar in the middle between my two screens and the symmetry is off for me. I say this as someone that had a dual screen setup for about a year. In fact, I'm planning on getting dual 4k monitors in maybe a year after video cards catch up a little to handle 4k at reasonable prices to flank my ultra wide monitor with both in portrait mode. With that setup I can have loads of diagrams and documentation on each side and piss off people joining my Webex when I share my entire desktop.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

necrobobsledder posted:

and piss off people joining my Webex when I share my entire desktop.

The best reason.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Guess I'll be RMAing my Asus, half the screen has vertical lines and they appear independent of input used. Jesus loving christ, can I never get anything nice in my life?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

d3rt posted:

TIL.

All GSync monitors have well implemented overdrive. The XB270HU has some of the best pixel response characteristics that TFT central has ever recorded, with marginally higher total pixel response times than the RoG Swift, but much lower pixel overshoot (actually measurably zero pixel overshoot) and display controller lag leading to both better images in motion AND lower input lag.

It's a goodun.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Thanks so much for the recommendation

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
So, at $200 this probably isn't something that should be passed up, right?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...als+LLC-1122587

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

The last Monoprice monitor I bought died after 14 months (conveniently just outside the 1-year warranty). I would go with a more reputable brand. But that's just my experience of course.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Mine had the power button fail with just under two weeks left in the warranty. The replacement process was pretty painless but it didn't make me want to buy Monoprice next time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
On the flip side that is REALLY drat cheap

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
I have two Monoprice monitors. One had the power brick fail after ~2 years, easy enough to replace though cost $70. When I was looking into it, found quite a few other people having similar issues with them, though the Korean offbrands are using the same power bricks usually so you won't escape it there either. Monitors have been working great though.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

It seems like it's already out of stock?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cinara posted:

I have two Monoprice monitors. One had the power brick fail after ~2 years, easy enough to replace though cost $70. When I was looking into it, found quite a few other people having similar issues with them, though the Korean offbrands are using the same power bricks usually so you won't escape it there either. Monitors have been working great though.

That's the same way mine failed, except when the power brick went it took the monitor with it too.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Schiavona posted:

It seems like it's already out of stock?

Worse even yet. It has been discontinued.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Windows 8.1 pushed an optional Windows Update for the XB270HU today. Should I touch it or no?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I'm piecing together a system and am torn between having 2-3 1080p monitors (specifically, Dell u2414h) or trying to find a 27"+ IPS 4k monitor but I'm not finding anything even remotely within the same wheelhouse.

If I go with the 2-3 monitors, I want to do them most likely portrait style. I'm also considering doing 2 1080p to start and then buying a 4k to place between them at a later time. Advice?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cinara posted:

If those use the same power bricks as the QNix's, you can get them for more like $20-$30. Find the output volts and amps you need, and search for that, then find one with the physical pin shape you need. Lots of places sell the same bricks, but double the price because they slap "QNix compatible!" on the listing.

I know this because I bought a replacement for my wife's Crossover when we identified the brick as the cause of some hellacious electrical whine. $25 later it was fixed.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Windows 8.1 pushed an optional Windows Update for the XB270HU today. Should I touch it or no?

Odds are it's just so the monitor is correctly identified in the devices / device manager areas.

You can always uninstall it if it does something weird.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Looks like that was it. 24 KB update size, so that would make sense.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
How many years until 5k 27" ips displays become cheap enough? I shouldn't have looked at the iMac...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

teraflame posted:

How many years until 5k 27" ips displays become cheap enough? I shouldn't have looked at the iMac...

It's not a UHD, DCI or VESA standard size (also someone may want to come up with a different acronym for 7680x4320 so we don't have the fun we had with HD meaning both 720p and the 1080s) so it'll probably never be commodity-priced. On the other hand it's 4x4x720p so it's not going to be halo-priced forever. It just might take a year or five for it to get into 'not outlandish on cost-benefit' territory. After all, you can get a reference monitor for the price of that Dell and it comes with a free Mac.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 25, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's not a UHD, DCI or VESA standard size (also someone may want to come up with a different acronym for 7680x4320 so we don't have the fun we had with HD meaning both 720p and the 1080s) so it'll probably never be commodity-priced. On the other hand it's 4x4x720p so it's not going to be halo-priced forever. It just might take a year or five for it to get into 'not outlandish on cost-benefit' territory. After all, you can get a reference monitor for the price of that Dell and it comes with a free Mac.

7680×4320 was originally Ultra HD, but then that got re-used for 3840×2160. So I guess now the marketing term for 7680×4320 is Full Ultra HD, in the same way that 1920×1080 was referred to as Full HD to 1280×720's HD.

But my guess is the stupid ####p nomenclature and the incorrect usage of "4K" and "8K" will continue.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, I couldn't find this info online so I'll ask here.

Does the Acer XB270HU support all three viewing modes... Fill, Scale, and 1:1?

Do the majority of decent monitors support all three of these viewing modes these days or is 1:1 just a total crapshoot as far as whether a monitor will have it or not?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 25, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

At the very least we need DP 1.3 to become standard on both ends for it to even be a remotely appealing option (MST tiling is not the answer, ever).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I couldn't find this info online so I'll ask here.

Does the Acer XB270HU support all three viewing modes... Fill, Scale, and 1:1?

Do the majority of decent monitors support all three of these viewing modes these days or is 1:1 just a total crapshoot as far as whether a monitor will have it or not?

That's far more of a TV thing than a control you see on a PC monitor. Because you can just do whatever scaling you want on a GPU instead of on the monitor.

That said, the Acer doesn't have any setting that I can find in the OSD on mine for different aspect controls like that. My Dell 3014 does, but it also has the boatload of inputs that might necessitate using those settings.

Is there some reason you can't use your GPU to control scaling settings like that?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Is there some reason you can't use your GPU to control scaling settings like that?
The usual answer is "mah PS4/XBone!"

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

DrDork posted:

The usual answer is "mah PS4/XBone!"
Which wouldn't make sense for the XB270HU because I don't think either of them have DisplayPort 1.2 output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gwaihir posted:

That's far more of a TV thing than a control you see on a PC monitor. Because you can just do whatever scaling you want on a GPU instead of on the monitor.

My Dells also support it - U2410 and 2007WFP. They also have boatloads of inputs.