Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

Here's a brief run down on a version I made some time ago:

Not enough AP Gauss Rifles. Anyway, there will be an update tonite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Carbolic posted:

Well... the 3055 Clan second-line pulse-boats (Peregrine, Viper, Goshawk, Rifleman IIC) spring to mind as examples of 'Mechs without any weaknesses (or at least, with trivial weaknesses compared to other 'Mechs). There's something note quite right when your "crappy" 'Mechs are actually much better than many of your elite front-line ones.

A lot of the 3055 and 3058 machines are heavily-optimized. It was before they decided to start shooting for specific goals on a design rather than more general ones.

The staff on TRO:3085, for instance, got told things like "make an 85-tonner that moves 3/5/5" or such things, rather than just "build a big assault that is good at ranged combat."

A few machines after 3055 are without any real glaring weaknesses (the Hauptmann is a good example of not having any weaknesses without being really min-maxed) but it never really approaches the level of min-max that era had.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Any mech with under 15 cERPPCs is sub-optimal, sorry :colbert:

Armor is overrated. As is an engine and heatsinks.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm guessing that's just about the most powerful design technically possible, in game terms.

As long as you're fighting on an ice plane, sure. If we change the terrain to constant heavy forest (think rain forest) there's a plethora of more powerful mechs, even the lowly Hunchback IIC comes pretty close at half the weight. If you fight in a city two IS 45-tonners with ten medium lasers apiece and reasonable jump capacity would probably give a stiff fight. Or maybe you need to kill a bunch of Saladins, Savannah Masters or Elementals? In the ice planes I'm betting 4 or 5 Dasher H's give the lone Hellstar a run for it's money. Even a bunch of Locust M's would probably do if pilots weren't super skilled.

While I agree that some 'mechs are bad, there is no obviously superior machine for all, or even most, conceivable situations. It also depends a lot on what you consider a fair fight. Balance by BV, BV2, tonnage, number of mechs or some other criteria? What's the terrain like? Duel or several mechs per side? Best of the best or ultra-rich, ultra-worthless 8/5 pilots? Minus or plus ten extra heat per turn? Does collateral damage count? Mechs only or mixed units? Own designs or TRO stuff? And so on and so on.

For what's it worth, I think the single most unbalanced piece of equipment is Inner Sphere medium laser as long as you have double heat sinks. Ten medium lasers compared to to any other short range set that you can fit within the weight and heat limit is just superior. Three Clan SSRM-6 launchers come pretty close, but the drawbacks are pretty severe even if you give them a ton of ammo each.

And finally if you want cheese, design mechs around "as many LRM 5 launchers as you can fit"-concept. Who needs SRMs for critseeking when you have 20 LRM launchers with no minimum range?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

KnoxZone posted:

Any mech with under 15 cERPPCs is sub-optimal, sorry :colbert:

Armor is overrated. As is an engine and heatsinks.

You know, if you take out most of the heatsinks and put the rest in the legs, you can still fire all your guns as long as you do it standing in hip deep water. And if you don't plan on moving you can shrink the engine, saving room for lots of armor.

Basically the most efficient mech design is a stationary turret in the middle of a lake.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Not enough AP Gauss Rifles. Anyway, there will be an update tonite.

Made a variant that removed two ER MLs for 2 AP Gauss Rifles and 1 ton of ammunition.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hob_Gadling posted:

For what's it worth, I think the single most unbalanced piece of equipment is Inner Sphere medium laser as long as you have double heat sinks. Ten medium lasers compared to to any other short range set that you can fit within the weight and heat limit is just superior. Three Clan SSRM-6 launchers come pretty close, but the drawbacks are pretty severe even if you give them a ton of ammo each.

I wouldn't say so, just because a 9-hex long range is insufficient for a modern battlefield. Sure, they're adequate for smaller machines who can hustle, but they really need to be running ER weapons just to be able to return fire for most of the other guy's medium range bracket on his Gauss/PPC machines. Gauss/ER PPC medium range starts at 8 hexes, so if he gets you into the 7-hex sweet spot where he's at short range and you're at long you are absolutely hosed. They're hardly a superweapon, not to mention your fire will scatter all over the other guy, requiring you to sandblast his entire machine.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
The actual Gausszilla page is interesting.

quote:

Bryan Nystul, then the BattleTech Line Developer for FASA, designed it for and used it in a "Trial of Grievance" issued by BattleTech fans to FASA over the BattleTech Cartoon series that was aired in 1996. Although the details of the event are sketchy, it is known that he defeated his opponent, Camille Klein.

:iia:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Camille was and, last I checked, still is, loving batty by the way. You'd think someone from House Davion killed her mom or hosed her dog.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good god, the Black Knight just refuses to get the gently caress up!

... Kidding, he rolled an 11.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I was half expecting Camille to be a man's name in this case.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't worry, Gothsheep, you'll get to do something! Next turn anyway. That's how phases work I guess.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the roll really had failed though.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Don't worry, Gothsheep, you'll get to do something! Next turn anyway. That's how phases work I guess.

I wouldn't have been surprised if the roll really had failed though.

Well I woke up last turn, but I still needed to make a successful piloting check to stand up.

And yeah, I fully expected to fail that piloting check, fall over and knock myself unconscious again.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

Camille was and, last I checked, still is, loving batty by the way.

I remember Camille from the rec.games.mecha days. She certainly was quite the personality - I do give her some credit for being a Liao loyalist in the days of Max Liao. But yeah, she was crazy as poo poo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Crap. The Lynx and Exterminator are trying to occupy the same hex again. As amusing as an accidental DFA would be, I'm going to give them a little leeway.

... If it happens during the goons vs. goons mission, though, all bets will be off. Accidental DFAs for everyone!

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Requesting the next mission be a goon vs goon mission, where every mech is equipped with Jump Jets.

Bonus points if the map contains a Refinery like the one on Tharkhad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I bid three Firestarters and this Refinery complex.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The universe apparently just wants a friendly-fire DFA. Some dark Stackpolian force demands explosions.

New orders are in, anyway.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Welp. That was statistically improbable.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I choose to take that to mean "Clanners starring in: Ow! My Balls!"

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

It sounds like this will be a fun turn.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

If they just performed another DFA, just scoot one to the side and make sure the fluff mocks Our Heroes well enough.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I choose to take that to mean "Clanners starring in: Ow! My Balls!"

I choose to believe the exterminator headcaps the kraken, tac cockpit hit.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

AtomikKrab posted:

I choose to believe the exterminator headcaps the kraken, tac cockpit hit.
I'm going with this, too, not necessarily the exterminator though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AtomikKrab posted:

tac cockpit hit.

Nothing that ludicrously lucky, but we have seen a lot of one of those two things.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I get the feeling that I'm not going to like the results of this round.

... Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. :buddy:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ammo explosions for everyone!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Did I get headcapped again?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Even if you don't have ammo! All lasers! Ammo explosion anyway!

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Laser explosions :aaaaa:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we win this can we give a new nickname and logo to whatever Division this is?

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Grand Fromage posted:

Even if you don't have ammo! All lasers! Ammo explosion anyway!

Aww, sweet! Laser light show and fireworks! All we need now is a badass rock band to perform in front of it all!

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

If we win this can we give a new nickname and logo to whatever Division this is?
Only if it's "The Glue Factory".

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xmas Future posted:

Only if it's "The Glue Factory".

I was thinking "the Shuffling Scufflers" and then the Crab picture.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gothsheep posted:

Did I get headcapped again?

Yes.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Welp. This is going to be interesting.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yes.

Battletech, ladies and gentlemen.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

Battletech, ladies and gentlemen.

To quote the TV edit of Big Lebowski: THAT is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh god the criticals :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Oh god the criticals :psyduck:

I choose to believe that this is us critting the Cla- hah! Nope. Couldn't do it. Couldn't keep a straight face.

• Locked thread