Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

EA is great at damage control. Every time I get mad at them they do something to pat me on the head like, I dunno, release everything on GOG. Elsewhere Sega and Activision say "gently caress you" to a Streets of Rage and King's Quest fan games respectively and Square shuts down what's essentially nonplayable scenes from Chrono Trigger redone in a 3D engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Has anyone been able to download Renegade X yet? I can't get the page to load.

Nevermind, I just had to be patient.

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 25, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If anyone is having issues downloading Black Down (the campaign for Renegade X Dominic White linked) just select manually any mirror and It'll download really fast.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So 3D Realms and Interceptor have yet to respond to the lawsuit Gearbox filed. As part of their deal with Gearbox they retain the rights to sell all the old games but Gearbox is in control of the future of the series. I don't know what 3D Realms was thinking when they even started this project, they had to have known Gearbox would shut it down.

But how ironic would it be if they changed the game to Duke Nukum/Newcomb?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I really don't want Gearbox to make a new Duke game after they crapped out Forever and Colonial Marines. Even the Borderlands games got stale after a while. Gearbox isn't that good of a game developer.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

I really don't want Gearbox to make a new Duke game after they crapped out Forever and Colonial Marines. Even the Borderlands games got stale after a while. Gearbox isn't that good of a game developer.

Honestly I like the second one. The first one isn't fun at all, it's too slow, too samey, and too easy. The second one feels like a great shooter and a good RPG and it's a real shock that the guys who made it also made Colon Marines and Forever. Honestly I think it's a fluke it turned out that way.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Segmentation Fault posted:

...and it's a real shock that the guys who made it also made Colon Marines and Forever.

They kinda didn't, though!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kirbysuperstar posted:

They kinda didn't, though!

Yeah I think the fact that they didn't make it was the problem. I mean, if Colonial Marines is anything to go by they probably couldn't have made it much better, but Gearbox also didn't do any sort of quality control for the shitheap that Broussard & Co. gave them.

I heard that the Gearbox-created "The Doctor Who Cloned Me" DLC was actually pretty good, but it was basically way too little and way too late.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah I think the fact that they didn't make it was the problem. I mean, if Colonial Marines is anything to go by they probably couldn't have made it much better, but Gearbox also didn't do any sort of quality control for the shitheap that Broussard & Co. gave them.

I heard that the Gearbox-created "The Doctor Who Cloned Me" DLC was actually pretty good, but it was basically way too little and way too late.

Gearbox did QC on DNF, but theres only so much quality control you can do on a game that was that loq-quality to begin with and just needed to finally be dumped on shelves so everyone could move on.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

King Vidiot posted:

As someone who honest to goodness reinstalled DNF just to play this DLC campaign, "pretty good" is a bit of a stretch. It has some callbacks to the original 2D games with an enemy and boss fight based on them, but it's still the same game. It's got a vehicle section that goes on way too long, platforming inspired by Duke3D that's not nearly as fun without the BUILD engine movement, and a final boss fight that I honestly couldn't figure out how to progress through, so I gave up because I couldn't find an FAQ online. :v:

e: Just remembered there's more than one three vehicle sectionS, but one of them isn't awful. Okay, the more I remember about this campaign the worse it becomes. There's a part in the middle where the gameplay is just walking talking to a bunch of Duke Nukem robots that make jokes based on the Ventrilo Harassment videos, and that's basically the only redeeming part.

Geight fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 26, 2014

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Honestly I like the second one. The first one isn't fun at all, it's too slow, too samey, and too easy. The second one feels like a great shooter and a good RPG and it's a real shock that the guys who made it also made Colon Marines and Forever. Honestly I think it's a fluke it turned out that way.

I don't know, they had two years to work on BL2, and we get mostly samey enemy designs, incredibly slow and unfun movement, stale environments that are a chore to trudge across, and weapon parts that amount to five per weapon manufacturer. A goddamn mod team could have churned out 100+ weapon parts and varieties.

Jblade posted:

In a interview with the Devs they're planning to push out mod tools, which means we're hopefully gonna see some custom levels and stuff.

Why didn't they have this at launch? Shadow Warrior was great, and it could have been greater with modders recreating the original game and levels. (Hopefully without lovely racism.)

I honestly think having mod tools and poo poo would have saved ROTT, MP is completely dead and no one is making levels for it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

King Vidiot posted:

It was good (though I'm one of the few who liked the gameplay of the main game), but it wasn't that much better. Certainly way too little. It also dragged a lot in the middle, most of the labs/base are really boring. Of course, I don't remember any octobrain heavy levels like the main game had, so that certainly makes me somewhat more favourable to it as well. Not one of the octobrain heavy levels in the main game were any good.

Edit: Buy Shadow Warrior instead.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

I honestly think having mod tools and poo poo would have saved ROTT, MP is completely dead and no one is making levels for it.

RoTT does have mod tools and a vast majority of it goes towards making MP maps. Granted, all of these are for a MP mode that would be dead as a doornail were it not for the devs arranged matches every Saturday, but still.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

catlord posted:

It was good (though I'm one of the few who liked the gameplay of the main game), but it wasn't that much better. Certainly way too little. It also dragged a lot in the middle, most of the labs/base are really boring. Of course, I don't remember any octobrain heavy levels like the main game had, so that certainly makes me somewhat more favourable to it as well. Not one of the octobrain heavy levels in the main game were any good.
Yeah I actually enjoyed the DLC, and the maingame (although not as much) It has some stupid ideas but playing it on the PC with the extra weapon limits made the whole thing more enjoyable. It's still a huge shame that we didn't get the 2001-game we all imagined it would be.

TDWCM wasn't made by Gearbox though, I think Tripytech finished it off and it also used assets that didn't make it into the final game (The leaked design documents showed that the game could of been up to twice as long)

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Duke Nukem Forever DLC was still total garbage like the main campaign and I'm surprised how anyone could think it was better. It had the same issue as the vanilla game: 95% minigames and lovely jokes, 5% actual shooting. They even recycle the strip club fetch quest from the main campaign near the end, because the first time wasn't bad enough I guess.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

...DNF had DLC? Holy gently caress.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought the DLC went way downhill after killing Dr. Proton. It felt like they tacked on a kinda clever set of new levels to a series of unrelated scrapped levels and barely bridged the gap between the two.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

closeted republican posted:

RoTT does have mod tools and a vast majority of it goes towards making MP maps. Granted, all of these are for a MP mode that would be dead as a doornail were it not for the devs arranged matches every Saturday, but still.
I still hope for a straighter remake of the original ROTT with less 'box off the player from backtracking' and lovely platforming. MP is dead as poo poo outside of Saturday DMing.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

I still hope for a straighter remake of the original ROTT with less 'box off the player from backtracking' and lovely platforming. MP is dead as poo poo outside of Saturday DMing.

The publisher of RoTT 13 is working on a deal with a competitive MP game group called Gaming Grids. Apparently, RoTT 13's dead MP might be a hit competitive FPS even though the only time it's remotly active is on Saturday evening. :downs:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Wow I gotta say, I was quite impressed with the Master Levels overall. They all looked nice, they all played nice, and for the most part had a very decent difficulty curve. Though none of this applies to Mephisto's Mausoleum, didn't quite like that one, but maybe cause I just baaarely had enough rockets to finish it.

On a different note, during both Doom 2 and Masterlevels I was rewatching Cyraptor's old Doom 2 lp after I completed levels, and he mentioned in one of the Master Levels about an author making Eternal Doom and thus hates him on principal. That got me curious so I decided to look up a level and see what could be so bad about that particular WAD...and well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu_a6IM6R0A

:stare: Kind of excessive for a map 30 don't you think? Certainly nice looking though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Crossposting from the Kickstarter thread: an "FPS Construction Kit" that uses an Minecraft/Portal 2 level editor interface that allows the player to easily create their own levels. It's heavily inspired by early FPS games. Take a look!

The Radix posted:

Gunscape, the game I've been working on (around other things) for the past year just went live on Kickstarter. You can check out the KS page or just visit the game's thread if you wanna read the version with way fewer exclamation points. There's an early demo you can try, too.

It's a FPS game where you can use an Infiniminer/Minecraft-style level editor to create single-player campaigns, co-op maps, or a multiplayer arena, then share them with people. All the game content that you can use to build your stuff is inspired by existing games/series and reflect the gameplay from those games, and can be mixed and matched however you like.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zeratanis posted:

On a different note, during both Doom 2 and Masterlevels I was rewatching Cyraptor's old Doom 2 lp after I completed levels, and he mentioned in one of the Master Levels about an author making Eternal Doom and thus hates him on principal. That got me curious so I decided to look up a level and see what could be so bad about that particular WAD...and well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu_a6IM6R0A

:stare: Kind of excessive for a map 30 don't you think? Certainly nice looking though.

I've yet to go through Eternal Doom, but I've been playing Bob Evans' Odessa series and I absolutely love love love them. Yeah, there's switch hunting, but I find the puzzles pretty rewarding once you figure them out.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Crossposting from the Kickstarter thread: an "FPS Construction Kit" that uses an Minecraft/Portal 2 level editor interface that allows the player to easily create their own levels. It's heavily inspired by early FPS games. Take a look!

Hey, you beat me to it. Quick note: if anyone wants to try out building their own maps right now, first plop down a couple of blocks, save, and quit/come back in to make sure saving works for you. There's only been one user that I know of that's had issues with saves but I'm really worried about anyone else losing their level over it. A proper fix should be up in <12 hours.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Not sure if this is the right place for it, but here's eight minutes of gameplay from the new Wolfenstein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEUNaVYbYI

Still kinda hopeful for it being fun in parts, despite all the filler. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to preorder :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wolfenstein 2009 was decent. Nothing amazing but it had big guns, cool powers, and enough violence to kill a weekend. I know this game has zero multiplayer and it's made by former Starbreeze guys so hopefully it's relatively long.

In hindsight I'm always taken aback by how long Half-Life, Doom 3, and Far Cry were. The longish campaign in the shooter has gone by the wayside. The last singleplayer campaign in a shooter I remember being really impressed by was Crysis 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

al-azad posted:

In hindsight I'm always taken aback by how long Half-Life, Doom 3, and Far Cry were. The longish campaign in the shooter has gone by the wayside. The last singleplayer campaign in a shooter I remember being really impressed by was Crysis 2.

Sadly it's all about the multiplayer experience anymore these days, since it's so readily available. The older shooters usually required you to be in the same room or building as anyone else to play with, so the campaigns had to be long to hold your attention.

Now, the campaign is pretty much just a tutorial on how to use the guns.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

closeted republican posted:

The publisher of RoTT 13 is working on a deal with a competitive MP game group called Gaming Grids. Apparently, RoTT 13's dead MP might be a hit competitive FPS even though the only time it's remotly active is on Saturday evening. :downs:

Hideously unbalanced MP at that, too! (which is fun, but still, the only thing "competitive" is scrambling to get the Firebomb ASAP)

I always thought Wolfenstein 2009 was good and solid, but it was missing something that made it memorable. You were basically Booker with Elizabeth's powers.

I'm trying out Shogo and holy poo poo is it ugly, even by 90s standards. :stare:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

JackMackerel posted:

Hideously unbalanced MP at that, too! (which is fun, but still, the only thing "competitive" is scrambling to get the Firebomb ASAP)

I always thought Wolfenstein 2009 was good and solid, but it was missing something that made it memorable. You were basically Booker with Elizabeth's powers.

I'm trying out Shogo and holy poo poo is it ugly, even by 90s standards. :stare:

Shogo is the worst kind of "Americans looking at Japanese anime/manga and trying to emulate it" style but it's a really good game to make up for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

JackMackerel posted:

They'll just give it the MLG treatment and impose such a stringent set of rules that it may as well be a different game, like what they do for Halo.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

I've yet to go through Eternal Doom, but I've been playing Bob Evans' Odessa series and I absolutely love love love them. Yeah, there's switch hunting, but I find the puzzles pretty rewarding once you figure them out.

You should definitely play Eternal Doom, then. If you can stomach Odessa 7 then Silures and Excalibur are the same thing, just on a much larger scale.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm at loss over how the new Wolfenstein got funded. The 2009 game bombed and did simply alright critically, and RTCW is mainly known for its multiplayer. The New Order is a single player only shooter with a self-aware tone most modern FPS gamers won't care about and enough storyline and modern elements that most FPS purists will scream at. The game is DOA.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

There's a big new Duke map out called the Beach CBP, if you're looking for a new Duke map to play you can grab it here, or if you use the Megaton port you can grab it on the workshop here. I beta tested it, it's a pretty great map that'll take about 40-50 minutes depending on your skill level.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GUI posted:

I'm at loss over how the new Wolfenstein got funded. The 2009 game bombed and did simply alright critically, and RTCW is mainly known for its multiplayer. The New Order is a single player only shooter with a self-aware tone most modern FPS gamers won't care about and enough storyline and modern elements that most FPS purists will scream at. The game is DOA.

I think you're probably right, but I really hope it turns into a runaway success.

Based on that gameplay video, it deserves it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I forgot it came with access to the multiplayer beta of the Doom reboot. I guess that should earn it a thousand or so sales from the people who will complain about how it's not an exact replica of a shooter released twenty years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Shogo is the worst kind of "Americans looking at Japanese anime/manga and trying to emulate it" style but it's a really good game to make up for it.

Certainly the ugliest but don't forget that SiN actually got an anime.

And then there's Oni which is at least the prettiest of the faux-anime games.

GUI posted:

It probably went down when Bethesda received next gen dev kits and wanted to pump out a game as fast as possible during the early years of the console.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

al-azad posted:

SiN actually got an anime

Wait what?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I have this on DVD. It's terrible. It's like they decided, "We should do a Sin anime" and they focused more on the "anime" part than on "Sin." It's a very loose retelling of the game's story, but set something like 50 years later than the game; Blade is a cyborg now, and is quiet and serious instead of a wiseass; JC is killed off in the first few minutes so he can be replaced with his hot sister who is also called JC; Instead of a hulking, mindless Manumit, Mancini's mutant form is just Mancini with grey-brown skin and black sclera; Elexis looks and sounds like Queen Beryl, and SinTek headquarters is this pointy, twisty crystal tower straight out of the Negaverse. And the most anime part, the plot centers around a little girl, whose genetic information Elexis needs for her new mutagen or somesuch thing, and I think she has angel wings at some point.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
My brother requested some co-op Chex Quest action.

Is it as simple as getting the WADs for Chex Quest and putting them in Zandronum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lord Dudeguy posted:

My brother requested some co-op Chex Quest action.

Is it as simple as getting the WADs for Chex Quest and putting them in Zandronum?

No, because the Chex maps generally lack coop player starts. There's a player 1 start, and a few deathmatch starts, and that's all. So you'd need to start by making a PWAD with copies of each map from the Chex3 IWAD, then add coop player starts near the player 1 start.