Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'd be willing to bet that Jurgens is the one leaving (for the rumored Blue & Gold book) and Johnston is just an idiot.

That's the first rumor I've heard about that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That's the first rumor I've heard about that!

I think the rumor just surfaced last week. It makes sense, BB is ending and Booster is in Action right now so it might segue into a new series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about we try giving those two characters to a creator who isn't a comics dinosaur?

e: I'd throw in Cecil Castellucci. She writes a snappy comic with Shade and can sure do more convincing young people than Jurgs or (especially) Giffen.
Shade's artist would be nice and fresh too, but I don't wanna take away from that comic (assuming the writer could do more work, while the artist couldn't.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 26, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Honestly, I was hoping Bendis would write a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold comic. That was my big fanboy wish, figuring he'd get a flagship title (hoping for Superman over Batman), but then do Blue and Gold as a fun side book with his big name to push it. He could definitely handle their banter and humor.

But nobody draws Booster as well as Jurgens, and I include Kevin Maguire and Adam Hughes in there. He did a great job as artist throughout Booster's most recent series, even when his writing was just okay. (Also, Johns wrote the hell out of those first 12 issues of Booster Gold, and he obviously has affection for both of them, so I wouldn't mind seeing him "slum it" on a new series either.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just checking in on how Scott Snyder's Christmas was going
https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/945024290121973761
Cute vid, but I think his involuntary raised eyebrow is getting worse :ohdear:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Multiversity was extremely good. I want a Captain Marvel book set on the Capatain Marvel World. I want a Freedom Fighters book set in Earth-X. I want an Atimic Justice League set on the Atomic Knights wotld. I want a a book for each of thise worlds!

Multiversity is the best thing Morrison has ever wrote. It is full of great, insane creative ideas and the meta was good except the Ultra comics issue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The first half of Ultra Comics was great then it fell off a cliff.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Bendis namedropping Twilight of the Superheroes reminds me that I’m still surprised DC hasn’t attempted to adapt it into an actual comic yet. If you’d asked me prior to May 2016, I’d definitely have expected that to happen before they tried crossing over Watchmen with the DCU.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mr Hootington posted:

Multiversity was extremely good. I want a Captain Marvel book set on the Capatain Marvel World. I want a Freedom Fighters book set in Earth-X. I want an Atimic Justice League set on the Atomic Knights wotld. I want a a book for each of thise worlds!

Yes please, give me my Love Syndicate of Dreamworld series. I really liked Multiversity (even if I had to get some fantastic people in this thread to explain bits to me), even weird-rear end Ultra Comics.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

Bendis namedropping Twilight of the Superheroes reminds me that I’m still surprised DC hasn’t attempted to adapt it into an actual comic yet. If you’d asked me prior to May 2016, I’d definitely have expected that to happen before they tried crossing over Watchmen with the DCU.

They've already mined a good deal of stuff when they did Kingdom Come. I could see them doing it as a one off Elseworld, like Kingdom Come, but it in no way could fit into the mainline DC continuity as an event as originally designed.

Every superhero is pretty much dead by the end of it, along with the Green Lantern Corps, and most the alien races from Invasion, which is arguably based on Moore's story, and that's not really a good ending for a mega event. The theme is that superheroes themselves are terrible and ruined the world, which is also not something DC is big on, especially in a main event. Twilight relies heavily on John Constantine in its original form too, which makes it even less likely to happen. It's almost John Constantine kills the DC universe to put it mildly if you're not familiar with the story synopsis.

Are the Kirby collection Demon comics any good? I got some Amazon gift certificates and I was thinking of picking up the collection since that seems like a good deal for $5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

There's been similar stories. They haven't done Twilight itself because Moore never gave them any notes on it so they can't publish it as an unfinished work of Alan Moore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Are the Kirby collection Demon comics any good? I got some Amazon gift certificates and I was thinking of picking up the collection since that seems like a good deal for $5.

Yes if you like silver age and jack kirby books. It is very good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Doomsday Clock #2... Alfred leaves pancakes out for Bruce with sauce already on, potentially sogging in for hours? What the hell?!!
Can't see them not rebooting the universe after that.

edit: In other outrages, putting Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez's name on the front of Kamandi Challenge and it turning out to just be for a variant cover is a high crime.
e2: Oops. Never mind. That was his credit on the main story. He draws the epilogue.

This issue's a doozy, btw.

Blimmin' Space Cabbie, Det. Chimp, Jack himself in the Grant Morrison in Animal Man role and Paul Levitz and Garcia-Lopez paying tribute to Len Wein.

I'd say that trying to make Kamandi='cmd+D' mean something, especially coming out of a personified spirit of Jack Kirby's mouth was pretty bad, but it's all so sweet that that doesn't matter too much.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 27, 2017

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They've already mined a good deal of stuff when they did Kingdom Come. I could see them doing it as a one off Elseworld, like Kingdom Come, but it in no way could fit into the mainline DC continuity as an event as originally designed.

Every superhero is pretty much dead by the end of it, along with the Green Lantern Corps, and most the alien races from Invasion, which is arguably based on Moore's story, and that's not really a good ending for a mega event. The theme is that superheroes themselves are terrible and ruined the world, which is also not something DC is big on, especially in a main event. Twilight relies heavily on John Constantine in its original form too, which makes it even less likely to happen. It's almost John Constantine kills the DC universe to put it mildly if you're not familiar with the story synopsis.

All the really grim stuff is in an alternate future that the ending suggests might have been averted, though.

Anyway, I wasn’t thinking a direct adaptation of what Moore pitched 30 years ago, but rather a reworking of it as a possible future of the current continuity. But I digress, as I don’t actually want DC to do that; I’m just surprised that they haven’t milked it like everything else Alan Moore did for them. Who cares if it’s similar to other alternate dystopian DCU futures? It’ll get buzz!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They already did a lovely alternate future that unwrote itself though, it was called Future's End.

I agree though that it's surprising just because it'd be another reason to invoke Moore's name and try to get a little interest.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

All I remember from that pitch is Marvel family incest.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So did Chaykin get the idea to do Twilight, a comic about how all the scifi heroes like Tommy Tomorrow were hosed up assholes from Twilight of the Superheroes, or is it just a coincidence?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well I wasn't expecting that reveal at the end of Doomsday Clock, and while the story is entertaining on its own the whole thing about the Supermen Theory is so out of place. It makes DC feel like another elseworld rather than part of the main continuity as it is supposed to be.

Considering they had more than a year to do the setup for DC through all the titles, is a huge oversight on editorial's part.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

So did Chaykin get the idea to do Twilight, a comic about how all the scifi heroes like Tommy Tomorrow were hosed up assholes from Twilight of the Superheroes, or is it just a coincidence?

Wow, I have that miniseries, and I didn't realize anyone else remembered it. Personally, I hated it, and I generally like Chaykin. It has some nice Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez art, though.

If any Goons want to read this, let me know, and it's yours.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bruce Wayne isn't generally considered smart, is he? Especially not Luthor smart.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hes uh...the world's greatest detective

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McCloud posted:

Bruce Wayne isn't generally considered smart, is he? Especially not Luthor smart.

If this was marvel he'd be Tony Stark and Luthor would be Reed Richards. Luthor is smarter but Bruce invents cooler poo poo.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

McCloud posted:

Geoff Johns was on JSA when it was established that Mister Terrific was the "third smartest person in the world", and while I don't remember if it was ever said in a comic, Johns confirmed on Twitter that he believed Luthor and Wayne are #1 and #2.

(Note this tweet was in 2014, well before any of this Doomsday Clock stuff was being planned)

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 27, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

McCloud posted:

There's a good chunk of people who think wealth is a sign of intelligence, look at the vocal minority of people who claim every twitter outburst from Trump is a savy 12th dimensional chess movie.

The general opinion of Bruce Wayne's intelligence is probably the same as Richard Branson's.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If I recall the official top 5 smartest people (Can't remember the order other that Mr Terrific is third) in the DCU is something like Lex Luthor, Michael Holt aka Mr Terrific, Ray Palmer, Dr Sivana and T.O. Morrow

Bruce was around 10th or 12th or something.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

You'd think someone literally called the Brain would be on that list

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I kind of like the idea that Bruce is a great detective but needs others to build his stuff. I really hate it when. We see Bruce building machinery because it comes across as fan-wankery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lightning Lord posted:

You'd think someone literally called the Brain would be on that list

He was just not the top 5.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doomsday Clock issue two was really bad, yeesh. I can't imagine anything I want less in a comic than Lex Luthor and Ozymandias simmering at each other ominously.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Doomsday Clock issue two was really bad, yeesh. I can't imagine anything I want less in a comic than Lex Luthor and Ozymandias simmering at each other ominously.

Is it cruel to hope that Doomsday Clock somehow leads to a chain reaction that ends with Geoff Johns being fired

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it cruel to hope that Doomsday Clock somehow leads to a chain reaction that ends with Geoff Johns being fired

While I like some of his work I do think that he should not be in charge of the brand.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I read The Great Darkness Saga yesterday at work, and this feels more like X-Men than New Teen Titans ever did.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Trying to in universe explain why American writers made comics about American superheroes for an American comic publisher and that's why there's so many seems like an idea that'll backfire and end up getting messy

Just don't call attention to it

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

It'll get sales that's all it needs. As lame as it is it's not exactly Amazons Attack. And it seems like it's going to be stuck fiddling with the Earth One universe, which has its own fandom and who I guess like it or something.

Even if I don't like it (and I don't) people love nostalgia and callbacks and you can sell a piece of media based entirely on that even if the content is lovely. People like Watchmen, people like Ozymandias and Rorschach and Earth One and they'll fill the tumblrsphere with squees when Mime meets Joker or whatever.

Titans of Tomorrow is making me thirsty! loving hate this event with it's stupid "Dur yeah the worst Robin's changed his name, is carrying guns, and wants to kill the son of Superman, he must be right lets help him!"

McCloud posted:

Dude's ridiculously smart and saying he's one of the smartest men in DC isn't an exaggeration. They don't usually rely on the 'smart people' outlet. He's not plotting the doom of alternate worlds like Reed Richards because all he cares about is Gotham. But the guy's built inventions to take out the entire Justice League on numerous occasions, he's shown that he's able to manipulate others across all media, and is the world's greatest detective (which is completely ignored by Detective Comics because they don't do any loving detective work). But look at it this way. Lex Luthor's devoted a portion of his entire life to killing Superman, there's probably hundreds of comics where he combats him. Still, Batman is more likely to actually pull it off.

nofather fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 27, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Roth posted:

I read The Great Darkness Saga yesterday at work, and this feels more like X-Men than New Teen Titans ever did.

If you can, continue to read Legion. The entire Levitz/Giffen/Lightle Legion era is a high watermark for DC imo

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sorry, I was quite unclear there, what I mean was, in the eyes of the public and common man, Bruce Wayne isn't considered that smart, is he? I mean, if you just popped up in DC proper and wanted to know who the smartest man alive was, and all you had was the internet or whatever, Bruce would probably not even crack the top 100, would he?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

If you can, continue to read Legion. The entire Levitz/Giffen/Lightle Legion era is a high watermark for DC imo

I have The Curse on comixology as well. Have to wait until I get paid next week, and I'm going to take advantage of the sale as much as I can in between finally being able to get gifts for people, as well as this week and next week's new comics.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

McCloud posted:

Sorry, I was quite unclear there, what I mean was, in the eyes of the public and common man, Bruce Wayne isn't considered that smart, is he? I mean, if you just popped up in DC proper and wanted to know who the smartest man alive was, and all you had was the internet or whatever, Bruce would probably not even crack the top 100, would he?

He's known as a billionaire playboy to most. Common man, public, and federal government think he's just in it for that. Business insiders and people who really keep track of the rich would probably realize he's a lot smarter than he lets on (at least in a business sense) and, considering his travels and appearances, into some shady stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember a stupid plot point from ages ago where Bruce would purposely buy stocks that he knew would fail so people would think of him as being stupid and just an idiot with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

nofather posted:

It'll get sales that's all it needs. As lame as it is it's not exactly Amazons Attack. And it seems like it's going to be stuck fiddling with the Earth One universe, which has its own fandom and who I guess like it or something.
Did I miss something subtle? I'm pretty sure Doomsday Clock is crossing over with the Real Deal Holyfield Earth Prime/New-Earth/Earth-0 that is the basis of DC's whole publishing line, not the Earth-One OGN series.

Even if there was something I missed in issue 2 and it takes place on Earth-One, there have been so many clues/harbingers smeared across the first year of Rebirth that they're bound to dimension hop over there soon, if they're not there already.