Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Give me a person who prays about football or whatever over someone who unironically uses the word "sportsball" any day.

also edgar I think you meant to type "Pittsburgh", not chicago (except baseball but gently caress baseball). And Michael Jordan is an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

e-sports is sportsball

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I dig sporty balls

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Instead of the XFL, Vince McMahon should start a league for morbidly obese people

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Instead of the XFL, Vince McMahon should start a league for morbidly obese people

And call it the XFL

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Give me a person who prays about football or whatever over someone who unironically uses the word "sportsball" any day.

also edgar I think you meant to type "Pittsburgh", not chicago (except baseball but gently caress baseball). And Michael Jordan is an rear end in a top hat.

Pittsburgh more like..:.. SPITtsburgh.

I’m trying to remember if you guys even have a baseball team and drawing a blank, so if there is one it must suck. The Penguins I’ll grant you, they are good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's the pirates and the only time i remember them being any good was when they had barry bonds.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

veni veni veni posted:

And call it the XXXFL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's the pirates and the only time i remember them being any good was when they had barry bonds.

I'm pretty sure they've been good for most of the last decade

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PS cubs>sox

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Well, duh.

(I say, despite living on the south side.)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Time to die, Edgar

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Sports that don't involve punching and kicking the opponent are boring. If you wanna watch athletes going at it, balls, sticks, etc. are superfluous.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

doverhog posted:

Sports that don't involve punching and kicking the opponent are boring. If you wanna watch athletes going at it, balls, sticks, etc. are superfluous.

What's best though is when the rules of the sport don't permit punching and kicking, but the players do it anyway! Thanks for making it fun for me, guys ;)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Hockey does have that fascinating aspect to it that fights and illegal tackles are tacitly approved, but only to a certain point. So there is this set of ghost rules laid atop the written rules, much like the rest of life and society. Hockey is still boring though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

Hockey does have that fascinating aspect to it that fights and illegal tackles are tacitly approved, but only to a certain point. So there is this set of ghost rules laid atop the written rules, much like the rest of life and society. Hockey is still boring though.

Hockey is among the top three most fun sports to watch though???

Top being basketball ofc

Also I think american football is an extremely brainy sport. If you don’t know the rules then yeah it’s 90% pauses and 10% huge genetically enhanced sportmans ramming each other, but the plays are actually really cool to think out and being a skilled player requires a lot of boring thinking and on-field awareness.

If you can’t enjoy basketball then you are probably insane. The whole sport is based on insanely talented and huge dudes flying around. That’s cool af

Caufman posted:

Time to die, Edgar

Meet me at a game and fight me, to the death. You stupid, worthless rear end in a top hat.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Apr 29, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's cool on an intellectual level but really I just wish they'd toss the ball away and go for a double leg take-down or something. Why abstract the struggle so much? Why must there be all these rules and equipment?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I adore sports riots. They might be both my favorite type of riot and my favorite result from a sports game. Please, destroy property and cause casualties because your local sports team won/lost. You're the real mvps :patriot:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Meet me at a game and fight me, to the death. You stupid, worthless rear end in a top hat.

Just start fighting nonwhites in the parking lot. You'll get to me eventually.

Oh wait, does Wrigley Field have a parking lot? Just start fights along the red line, then.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Caufman posted:

I adore sports riots. They might be both my favorite type of riot and my favorite result from a sports game. Please, destroy property and cause casualties because your local sports team won/lost. You're the real mvps :patriot:

Just start fighting nonwhites in the parking lot. You'll get to me eventually.

Oh wait, does Wrigley Field have a parking lot? Just start fights along the red line, then.

I’ll be the 5’5” pasty white in the yarmulkah, see u there ;)

Goonmeet 2k18?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Some guy on a bus offered me and a police officer on the street a pull from his flask when the Cubs win the world series. I accepted, but the cop declined.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ll be the 5’5” pasty white in the yarmulkah, see u there ;)

Goonmeet 2k18?

I'll have to be honest, I haven't lived in Chicago for almost ten years now, which is a shame, because I'm way into crosstown rivalry and senseless, consensual duels to the death. But I earnestly hope we'll get the chance to run into each other in the future and try to kill each other for stupid reasons :)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

After decades of hand-wringing about the poor, blameless CVS getting smashed during a riot after the cops fuckin blow away a black guy or whatever, At this point I basically associate the phrase "destruction of property" with good people doing the right thing, and just kneejerk assume that people who complain about "destruction of property" are bad people

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In merry old Europe, football hooligans are closet nazis who rob stores, burn cars and beat bystanders into a coma with metal pipes because their club lost. There was an amusing story I read some time back about how some English football hooligan gang went to mix it up with Russians, and English were all middle aged and beer fat, and the Russians were 20 somethings Putin recruited to spread Russian glory. Several English hooligans suffered brain damage. gently caress you football hooligans.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Apr 29, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Russian oligarchs own all the soccer teams also

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
There was an ancient PC strategy game called 'Hooligans: Storm over Europe' where you were given mission orders by a guy so cockney he made Guy Ritchie movies sound like Pride and Prejudice. If you failed he'd occasionally go ' you cuunnnnt'.

One of my partner's mates back in her home country is so into English football hooligan culture its utterly bizarre. The first time I met him (he only speaks Hungarian, I only speak English) he said 'you English? Hooligan?' erm... No.

They have a cool system to crack down on that poo poo though, fingerprint scanners on entry to stadiums- if you've been caught for being a shithead your details go on there and you ain't allowed in to certain matches such as whatever the Hungarian equivalent of say Manchester United vs Manchester City would be. Its cyberpunk in the most oddly mundane way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve been to one euro football game and it was kind of a disappointment. It was Toulouse vs Paris and my french cousins were hyping up how crazy it’d be and how there would be mobs and fights and tear gas. There weren’t.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

doverhog posted:

In merry old Europe, football hooligans are closet nazis who rob stores, burn cars and beat bystanders into a coma with metal pipes because their club lost. There was an amusing story I read some time back about how some English football hooligan gang went to mix it up with Russians, and English were all middle aged and beer fat, and the Russians were 20 somethings Putin recruited to spread Russian glory. Several English hooligans suffered brain damage. gently caress you football hooligans.

In western Europe these things have nothing to do with the result, and usually happen before kickoff. And there's very little closeting of the nazi-ism when it's involved.

It's strange places like Greece, Turkey and South America where sore losers riot and murder referees.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve been to one euro football game and it was kind of a disappointment. It was Toulouse vs Paris and my french cousins were hyping up how crazy it’d be and how there would be mobs and fights and tear gas. There weren’t.

PSG are an oil money club with no history. They don't have a proper fanbase, just modern bandwagoners.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My only knowledge of soccer hooligans comes from the movie "Eurotrip". I'm just going to assume it was a pretty realistic portrayal.

Someone invited me to I think a liverpool game and tried to sell it to me talking up how everyone sings songs and all this stuff and it just sounded kind of lame to me so I made up an excuse not to go. I guess they have to manufacture some kind of excitement considering it's unlikely to come from looking at what's going on on the field.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

After decades of hand-wringing about the poor, blameless CVS getting smashed during a riot after the cops fuckin blow away a black guy or whatever, At this point I basically associate the phrase "destruction of property" with good people doing the right thing, and just kneejerk assume that people who complain about "destruction of property" are bad people

If we accept using violence for political action, then the problem with rioting is that it's disorganized during a decisive moment. Top level targets will not get softer than they are now, whereas retail capital will always be around to seize or destroy.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have you ever heard the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right"?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
This is a carry over from another thread but I think Vaping should be banned anywhere smoking is banned, and that you should only vape in smoking areas. Nobody wants to breathe clouds of your moist mouth steam no matter what it smells like.
Plus, sure we think it's healthier *now* but doctors used to tell you to switch to menthols when you had a cough so maybe let's make sure it doesn't cause like hair cancer or something before we get on our high horse?
I'm a vaper btw.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

No, I haven't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

To be fair, three lefts make a right.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

I just love that someone saw this "poem" and felt compelled to pull it off the internet to tack on a line for "P.S. don't forget about those offended people!" without even trying to keep with the gimmick.

EDIT: Meant to post this in the IOSM thread :doh:

Hardcordion has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Apr 30, 2018

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

"its good that people riot in towns and destroy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of property because policemen :downs:"

retard

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Won’t somebody think of the windows?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hardcordion posted:

I just love that someone saw this "poem" and felt compelled to pull it off the internet to tack on a line for "P.S. don't forget about those offended people!" without even trying to keep with the gimmick.

Transgress is the closest synonym that would sort of fit the scheme that I can think of for "offend" and that doesn't work well either.

2018: If it's too hard to do correctly, just throw it in there. #Millennials #PointStillProven #SorryNotSorry

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Sure, but only one of those things is wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If anyone honestly thinks that there is no problem with US police culture after video evidence of Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, and and and... and all those who probably didn’t get filmed... lol.

Not to mention the lionization of monsters like Sheriff Joe and David Clarke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If anyone honestly thinks that there is no problem with US police culture after video evidence of Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, and and and... and all those who probably didn’t get filmed... lol.

Not to mention the lionization of monsters like Sheriff Joe and David Clarke.

there's huge problems with the US police and we need to treat our cops as any other US citizen, and not let them be exempt from having to follow any laws. there should also not be city-wide riots where people pillage and wreck everything around them with the excuse of "a man died." Nobody should get a free pass to destroy their town, or steal from anyone or any establishment. we must convict cops that murder the people they are supposed to protect.