Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
The rollercoaster of emotions on display in this thread was pretty great and almost as good as the roller coaster of emotions I witnessed irl with our usual watch group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Stunt Rock posted:

The rollercoaster of emotions on display in this thread was pretty great and almost as good as the roller coaster of emotions I witnessed irl with our usual watch group.

Meanwhile reddit users are framing their situation as stages of grief that all seem to have a lot of anger.

*gif of laura palmer saying "meanwhile" in creepy lodge-speech, before her hand gesture reveals the worst posts scrolling unending*

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 4, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
And yet, as my mind churns, I ask the uncharitable question: Didn't Tim Burton already do this in Planet of the Apes?

As you can see, I am conflicted.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Stunt Rock posted:

I look forward to tomorrow's Point/Counterpoint.

"Ugh, I didn't really like it."
"Yeah, well at first I liked it, but then I saw your dislike, and now I LOVE it!"
"Oh, yeah, well your newfound love for this trash makes me hate it all the more!!!"

(as internet discussions must invariably go)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mister Mind posted:

And yet, as my mind churns, I ask the uncharitable question: Didn't Tim Burton already do this in Planet of the Apes?

As you can see, I am conflicted.
Tim Burton didn't invent the idea of time travel actually making everything worse dude.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Raxivace posted:

Tim Burton didn't invent the idea of time travel actually making everything worse dude.

I did like the end when Marky Mark woke up in this town of Odessa.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Marky Mark doesn't need time travel to wake up in Odessa without knowing how he got there either.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Raxivace posted:

I meant the last 5% coming out of nowhere.

Or are you doing a bit from my other post?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao, I don't know if anyone's been following this ObnoxiousAndAnonymous channel, but they've been doing discussion videos after every episode this season and I've been watching them for weeks because it's interesting to get a different perspective on things.

Their video for 17/18 is 3 hours long :roflolmao:

I can't wait to hear what they think about this ending.

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
I like to believe that the moment where Carrie Page is revealed is the last episode of a TV show from an alternate reality, set in a quirky but ominous fictional Texan town called Odessa. This show stars a waitress who, in the season finale with minutes left on the clock, ends up at home shooting a major character in the head. The audience gasps collectively - can AltLynch still stick the landing? Then suddenly, an FBI agent played by the same actor as the boy who died in the first episode 25 years ago shows up and says they need to go to a place called Twin Peaks, thus leading to a drawn-out car ride and the final scene that overlaps with the finale of Twin Peaks in our reality. This baffling conclusion proves extremely controversial among Odessa fans, with much speculation about the mysterious stranger credited as "Dale Cooper".

(I dug it)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Making Laura some kind of deity figure was something I really disliked all season. Now instead of being a sad story its a lame "story of destiny". This season has been cool but just as he wanted last time the mystery will not be resolved. But Goddamn his other stuff was way more coherent than this was.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Seinfeld2000/status/904568942877843456

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Poor Dale Cooper cannot catch a fuckin' break.

Also, that bit with the house being sold by Mrs. Chalfont to Mrs. Tremond - they're the same person, yeah? And isn't that who gave Laura the painting?

I can see why people would be down on this ending, and it really did feel like an episode from a completely different show, but I think that was the point - it legitimately felt like an alternate universe in a way that I've never really seen in another show / film. It's not just the scenery that's different, everything from the pacing to the tone to the mannerisms of the cast is just off compared to the episode before it, it's was a very weird sensation.

That last shot and then the transition to the credits scene was great.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RBX posted:

Making Laura some kind of deity figure was something I really disliked all season. Now instead of being a sad story its a lame "story of destiny". This season has been cool but just as he wanted last time the mystery will not be resolved. But Goddamn his other stuff was way more coherent than this was.

I've come around on the Laura chosen one thing, since it was deliberately not paid off in a sappy human way.

If Laura was the chosen one in any respect, it appears to be only insofar as she was chosen to be an infinite font of suffering for the lodge to chow down on. I, for one, can live with that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Mods No Masters posted:

I've come around on the Laura chosen one thing, since it was deliberately not paid off in a sappy human way.

If Laura was the chosen one in any respect, it appears to be only insofar as she was chosen to be an infinite font of suffering for the lodge to chow down on. I, for one, can live with that
If you think about it, Laura was still in trouble in the timeline the finale ended in (she had killed somebody), so you could say this season was about "A woman in trouble.", just like Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet and FWWM.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also, that bit with the house being sold by Mrs. Chalfont to Mrs. Tremond - they're the same person, yeah? And isn't that who gave Laura the painting?

Not necessarily, could've been another Chalfont. "Two Chalfonts".

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i wanted to be baffled and angry but i can't, it was the perfect ending

it wasn't "all a dream", it's infinitely sadder and more soul-crushing than that and the ultimate lynchian series finale (although it could easily be a cliffhanger for season 4 too which is p. cool). dale saved 99% of the day but he had to push for 100 and that last percent was enough to get judys attention so she slapped reality's face chinatown-style until we remembered that life is suffering

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
and holy gently caress hulkhand vs. bob-ball was the ultimate showdown and better than anything i could have dreamt up in my gassiest fever dreams

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, Jerry was nowhere near Twin Peaks :lol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Well that ending may just be the most unnerving piece of entertainment I've ever seen.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Jerry, much like all of us, got lost and witnessed events beyond his comprehension, misinterpreting cause and effect at every step of the way. We, the viewers, are the ones left nude in the custody of the police awaiting a ride home. Truly, there is no superfluous plot line in Twin Peaks Season 3

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How do any of y'all sleep after a bomb like that gets dropped on you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How do any of y'all sleep after a bomb like that gets dropped on you?
Good question! When I find an answer I'll let you know.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Automatic Jill posted:

I like to believe that the moment where Carrie Page is revealed is the last episode of a TV show from an alternate reality, set in a quirky but ominous fictional Texan town called Odessa. This show stars a waitress who, in the season finale with minutes left on the clock, ends up at home shooting a major character in the head. The audience gasps collectively - can AltLynch still stick the landing? Then suddenly, an FBI agent played by the same actor as the boy who died in the first episode 25 years ago shows up and says they need to go to a place called Twin Peaks, thus leading to a drawn-out car ride and the final scene that overlaps with the finale of Twin Peaks in our reality. This baffling conclusion proves extremely controversial among Odessa fans, with much speculation about the mysterious stranger credited as "Dale Cooper".

(I dug it)

Odessa's real. I've stopped to eat there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God Of Paradise posted:

Odessa's real. I've stopped to eat there.
Is it hell? I've never been there and all I knew about it before tonight was what I saw/heard of it in No Country For Old Men and Heroes.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Random theory: episode 17 ends with Coop going into the Black Lodge to confront mother.

Episode 18 is entirely within the Black Lodge, where mother is essentially waging her attack on Cooper by manipulating his reality, his perception, his mind. And we're left on a cliffhanger, where he is just starting to realize the actuality of the situation ("Wait, what year is it?"). Basically as much of a cliffhanger as S2, including the uncertainty of Audrey's fate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really a fan of Lynch inserting this secret stuff Coop was up to during the events of TP season 2 by way of a Cole exposition dump tbh

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
First impressions of the finale is that while I'm sad that a few plot threads were left hanging, I'm pretty satisfied with the ending and I wouldn't be mad if that was it. I'm not convinced this is the final ending either; episode 18 felt very much like a sequel hook for a fourth season. The fact that Audrey's role was said by Lynch to be "pivotal" and she doesn't appear at all in the last two episodes makes me think that he has a lot of stuff for Season 4 planned out already, especially considering both Audrey and Laura are trapped in weird alternate dream dimensions. I'm not convinced that there will be more, but this felt like the beginning of the third act of a story, with The Return being Act II. Of course, the beauty of Twin Peaks is that not showing the third act of a three-act story just adds to the show's sense of cosmic dread and uncertainty.

To me, it makes a lot of sense that episodes 17 & 18 were shown together but not combined into one double-length episode like the premiere was. It reminds me a bit of the two endings of Evangelion; 17 was super dense and filled with a lot of action and stuff fans wanted to see resolved while 18 was slow, contemplative, and ambiguous.

My interpretation of 18 is that it's an Inland Empire deal where both the Laura universe and Carrie universe are dreams from the other side's perspective, and that Laura's dreams shape Carrie's world and vice versa. I don't think it's a coincidence that Carrie kills what is presumably her abusive husband in Odessa around the same time that Laura's abuser is killed in Twin Peaks. Right before Carrie/Laura screams and breaks the illusion, you can hear the same clip of Sarah calling her name on what would have been the day her body was found. Maybe Cooper's plan worked after all and Laura is just sleeping in bed, with Cooper and Diane trapped in dreamworld. The Diane that Cooper had sex with was Linda and that her discomfort was due to her realization that the person she thought was Richard was actually someone else (the real Diane was outside and left after seeing her doppelganger). It's a lot to think about and I doubt we'll ever really have a good idea of what happened without a fourth season.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Is it hell? I've never been there and all I knew about it before tonight was what I saw/heard of it in No Country For Old Men and Heroes.

I grew up near TX and lived there for awhile.

Let's say, Cormac McCarthy lived in El Paso for a long period of time. There he wrote the most violent book I've ever read in Blood Meridian, as well as All The Pretty Horses, which exemplify the history of that area. John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats lived out his childhood near there. If you combine those two things based of their work, then sprinkle it with Meth, Jesus and border hopping Narcos, then yeah, it's Hell on Earth.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 4, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

God Of Paradise posted:

I grew up near TX and lived there for awhile.

Let's say, Cormac McCarthy lived in El Paso for a long period of time. There he wrote the most violent book I've ever read in Blood Meridian, as well as All The Pretty Horses, which exemplify the history of that area. John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats lived out his childhood near there. If you combine those two things based of their work, then sprinkle it with Meth and border hopping Narcos, then yeah, it's Hell on Earth.
So in his heroic act of sparing Laura from being tortured and killed by Bob (hosted by her father), Cooper (now Richard) inadvertently sent Laura (now Carrie) to a different kind of hell :shepicide:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

So in his heroic act of sparing Laura from being tortured and killed by Bob (hosted by her father), Cooper (now Richard) inadvertently sent Laura (now Carrie) to a different kind of hell :shepicide:

I mean it's not as bad as living in the Toledo Hell, East St. Louis Hell or the Staten Island Hell. They have really good Mexican food, Shiner beer on tap, Luchadore matches and won't freak out if you shoot bottles with a 12 gauge.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

was it just me, or did it look like there was some garmonbozia puke on the shirt of the corpse in odessa-laura's house?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

As Dale and Mike are going upstairs to see Phillip, the jumping man/Sarah is walking down; do you suppose that he/she sabotaged Phillip so that Dale would be unable to rescue Laura as he intended, instead shunting her to a different life far away from Twin Peaks and the Black Lodge? If Laura was designed to be a counter to the power of Sarah or Mother, it stands to reason she'd be as difficult to properly kill as any other Lodge resident, so a forced fugue state would be the next best thing. Then a little chicanery from the Lodge spirits with the Palmer household to try and keep the ruse up, but something of her original history bled through the cracks anyway and at the last instant Laura woke up from Carrie.

The mantle in Carrie's house with the blue plate with a little horse in front of it was the horse as the white of the eye, I hope to someday have any idea what the hell that's supposed to mean.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was gonna write up a whole thing about my views on What The Hell is Going On, but ultimately, I have to conclude: this may be one of the most confusing cliffhangers ever constructed. It's insane how many layers of reality we're already fairly comfortable with at that point in the show, and how many possible interpretations the last episode lends itself to, given doppelgangers, dream worlds, etc... All I can definitively say is that I desperately hope we get more.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

but

how's audrey?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Martman posted:

I was gonna write up a whole thing about my views on What The Hell is Going On, but ultimately, I have to conclude: this may be one of the most confusing cliffhangers ever constructed. It's insane how many layers of reality we're already fairly comfortable with at that point in the show, and how many possible interpretations the last episode lends itself to, given doppelgangers, dream worlds, etc... All I can definitively say is that I desperately hope we get more.
Inland Empire totally broke my brain after I saw it because I was trying to piece together all the different layers in my head and it was so intricate that I became exhausted.

I'm having the same experience with this finale. I love it, but your brain really has to do some serious work to understand this thing, and even then, your interpretation may not be the one Lynch intended. There's no "right" answer to all of this, which simultaneously rules and is frustrating as all hell.

I could very easily drive myself insane trying to piece all the events of this series together, and in the end it wouldn't even matter because that timeline no longer exists.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think what scares me the most is the idea that, given the pure, unfiltered version of Twin Peaks straight from David Lynch's brain, we're confronted with the possibility that the dream never made any sense in the first place; i.e. it never had a "core." Maybe Lynch really is showing us everything that ever occurred to him regarding Twin Peaks, and the result is confusion and despair.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
My entire takeaway from the last episode is the possibility that love is not enough.

The important thing though is that the purely good Cooper now lives in a house with a red door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The book coming out is called the final dossier right? That sounds pretty final to me. Or is it the final dossier of 'this' Twin Peaks universe.