Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I know you said you’ve tried troubleshooting a few things, but that genuinely sounds less like a problem with the keyboard and more like a problem with either the port it’s plugged into (needs to be usb 2, not 3 iirc) or the BIOS/UEFI settings on the machine if it’s not enabling the keyboard until the OS boots and loads the drivers for it.

Do you definitely have it plugged into a non-usb 3 port and/or do you have another keyboard lying around you can use to get into the BIOS/UEFI during boot and check for the enable usb/legacy devices thing that I can’t remember the exact name of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I am about to embark on the journey of building my first custom keyboard, and I was wondering if anyone here had experience with building a keychron Q2 barebone? More specifically I was wondering if the board comes with stabilizers or if I need to purchase some separately.

Also, if the board does ship with stabilizers, are they any good?

Thanks in advance!

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
from the pics on keychron's site it looks like stabilizers are included

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I’ve tried all the dip switch stuff, I will double/triple check the port type but it’s through a docking station and other keyboards typically work with it. Like durgod, idobao, topre have all worked but for one reason or another are not what I want to type on anymore

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
the "A" button my Keychron is acting janky, is it possible to just replace a single switch?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If it's a hotswappable board, sure-- quite easily in fact. I don't think you're going to have an easy time buying one single switch though, so you could consider it an opportunity to explore new switches for your whole board, if you like. Otherwise, just find something that matches or is close to what you have and just replace the one and be done with it (and have a bunch of spares).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Framboise posted:

If it's a hotswappable board, sure-- quite easily in fact. I don't think you're going to have an easy time buying one single switch though, so you could consider it an opportunity to explore new switches for your whole board, if you like. Otherwise, just find something that matches or is close to what you have and just replace the one and be done with it (and have a bunch of spares).

It's a C3, so it's not.

But it is under 12mos old, so I guess it's off to deal with Keychrons legendary customer service.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
You can actually buy a single switch on places like Aliexpress. I bought three Juliette switches (which also had a counterpart switch called Romeo, if you would believe it) from Aliexpress when I needed only a few more to fill out my GAS67 after harvesting all of the Gamakay Phoenix switches from my Minicat 64 keyboard.

edit: I see the new post now saying that it's not hotswappable. Ah dang. It might be possible to hire some guy off of reddit's mechmarket to repair it for you if you don't want to deal with desoldering the bad switch yourself in the worst case scenario.

god please help me fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 26, 2024

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Just taken the plunge and ordered an RK Royal Kludge S98, 80g Gateron Silent Aliaz pink switches, and some keycaps.

Looking forward to seeing how this goes!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Framboise posted:

Either those keycaps really suck or that person has astounding finger strength...

idk man, my keyboards are too much of a money sink for me to be anything but gentle with them. Even if they're more durable than the typical keyboard, I guess. My Mode65 is sturdy and my Zoom98 is like a 10lb tank. I should actually weigh this thing sometime.

Like a tank you say? 60%, 5lbs, stainless steel and silicone stacked case.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Are there any low profile split KBs with 5+ rows that you can order assembled? Ideally for less than $300?

I've been using a Moonlander for a few years and I like it well enough, but I'm looking to switch up layouts a bit. Don't really need to stay ortholinear.

I thought about getting the new low profile they make, but it's only 4 rows and that seems kind of rough for the stuff I do (coding in JetBrains IDEs, gaming, Ableton). Plus the cost is pretty rough.

I'd take a regular-rear end QWERTY split, but I don't really know what the options are there. And I do want two separate pieces and not an Alice layout - it's really nice for being able to put a MIDI controller/notepad/gaming snacks between the two halves.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
What are those keyboards that sound like the keys are porcelain? Soft, dampened click. Looking for a solid keyboard that isn’t loud at all. General use is gaming. Just looking for maybe a switch type and I’ll explore from there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

m.hache posted:

What are those keyboards that sound like the keys are porcelain? Soft, dampened click. Looking for a solid keyboard that isn’t loud at all. General use is gaming. Just looking for maybe a switch type and I’ll explore from there.

Kinda thocky? Lubed linear switches, brass or steel plate where the switches are mounted makes a big difference.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Kinda thocky? Lubed linear switches, brass or steel plate where the switches are mounted makes a big difference.

Yeah Thocky is the perfect explanation. I’ll look for lubed linear switches.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I remember the experience of typing on Epomaker's budgerigar tactile switches sounded a lot like marbles to me. Perhaps try the linear version of those switches, which are Flamingo switches? I generally go with lighter switches than those, but if you want a stone-like sound, perhaps check out a couple of youtube reviews about them and see if they suit you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

m.hache posted:

Is this the sound you're after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DydeAfYZB98&t=342s

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

m.hache posted:

If you look at my posts with that button under my av, in this thread, I posted a video and you can hear the keyboard I got a few months ago. It's very thocky.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yep that’s the one. I need to find a place to test the pressure. I don’t want to accidentally press a button while resting my hand. Maybe memory express in Canada will have some generic boards I can test.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

If you look at my posts with that button under my av, in this thread, I posted a video and you can hear the keyboard I got a few months ago. It's very thocky.

Was that a keydous board you linked before your vid? I think that may be where I end up. Looks like a good starter board. Was thinking the brass plate with deep sea linear switches.\

EDIT: Ok I'm in deep. I'm looking to be able to customize a keyboard moving forward. Here are some of the requirements so hopefully you can point me down a rabbit hole

1. 100% keyboard (love my numpad) or an 80% with a sidecar option (What are my options for a numpad?)
2. Flexibility on customization. I want to try out Thocky linear keys but may change it up for Browns
3. Wireless would be nice but not required. Just want the option
4. Some backlight but nothing RGB Crazy. Just a soft glow is fine.

I started to dive into the Gem80 and it looks great. May answer most of my needs but wanted to hear general recommendations from the group. Slightly worried that I would be stuck into some proprietary caps with the bumper pads on the spacebar as an example

m.hache fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 27, 2024

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

m.hache posted:

Was that a keydous board you linked before your vid? I think that may be where I end up. Looks like a good starter board. Was thinking the brass plate with deep sea linear switches.\

EDIT: Ok I'm in deep. I'm looking to be able to customize a keyboard moving forward. Here are some of the requirements so hopefully you can point me down a rabbit hole

1. 100% keyboard (love my numpad) or an 80% with a sidecar option (What are my options for a numpad?)
2. Flexibility on customization. I want to try out Thocky linear keys but may change it up for Browns
3. Wireless would be nice but not required. Just want the option
4. Some backlight but nothing RGB Crazy. Just a soft glow is fine.

I started to dive into the Gem80 and it looks great. May answer most of my needs but wanted to hear general recommendations from the group. Slightly worried that I would be stuck into some proprietary caps with the bumper pads on the spacebar as an example

Budget is probably the biggest consideration - switches are cheap, hotswappable boards are easy to find, but customisable enthusiast keyboards can go up to $600+ easily, and a good set of GMK keycaps can also set you back a decent amount as well (a few hundred $ on top). Something like the QK100 is super customisable, and not terribly expensive (although no RGB - most enthusiast boards don't bother, especially the ones with wireless because RGB will kill the battery life). The foam in most boards will give you the sound profile you want more that any specific switches. Stock browns aren't actually the best feeling switches out there though, you might want to experiment though. Plenty of places will shipyou single switches or testers to play with.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Photo of the current collection of mechanical keyboard, excluding 3 boring ones that aren't visibly customised, happy to answer any questions on any of it. My wife thinks I'm going through a keyboard-based midlife crisis.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
That’s green/grey with the side numpad: any details on that? I like the idea of separating the two.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

m.hache posted:

That’s green/grey with the side numpad: any details on that? I like the idea of separating the two.

KBDFans Tofu 60 Redux and Tacopad. They have a couple of variations on the 60% for sale but I went for just the case and brass weight so I could build it as ISO with my own choice of PCB and plate. Keycaps are SA Lime, and they are built with LICHICX Lucy silent linear switches, which I love the feel of, but you won't get much noise out of them.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
I'm looking for a full-size barebones kit. Not quite a full DIY (I'm not really into modding), but I want to bring my own switches and caps. I'm hella casual in this realm and overwhelmed in my attempts to google this.

Budget of $200-250. (That's not counting switches or caps; I have those covered.)

In order of most to least important:

- Hotswap. Must-have.
- Relatively quiet. Something with foam already in the board sounds right.
- Sturdy. Doesn't need to be a tank, but I would hope for this budget that I could find something that doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. (If it checks all the other boxes, a tank is okay.)
- VIA compatible.
- I think I would prefer wired, not wanting to fuss with another battery, but I could be talked into wireless.
- RGB would be nice, but not necessary.

I understand full-size keyboards aren't popular in the mech/DIY world. I could possibly be talked into a TKL + separate numpad, but would greatly prefer one whole device. Thanks in advance, goons!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

m.hache posted:

I had a great experience with lubed milky yellow switches. they sound very low and kinda like raindrops.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

the numa numa song posted:

I'm looking for a full-size barebones kit.
I got a Keychron V6 with silent switches when I was looking earlier this year for a keyboard with the exact same list of requirements (plus also had to be available from an Australian retailer). There really aren't that many full size boards out there with VIA compatibility; the Keychron V6 and Q6 were all I could find. The V6 has been great though.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

well why not posted:

I had a great experience with lubed milky yellow switches. they sound very low and kinda like raindrops.

these are amazing https://idobao.net/products/idobao-x-kailh-ultra-quiet-mx-switches

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
To avoid anything keychron, here's a 96% hotswap VIA-compatible keyboard kit. https://kbdcraft.store/products/adam0110b

Meanwhile, here's a 100% hotswap keyboard from Redragon. It's not VIA-compatible, but maybe you could use Powertoy's Keyboard Manager to alter your keybindings per your needs: here

mewse
May 2, 2006

the numa numa song posted:

I'm looking for a full-size barebones kit. Not quite a full DIY (I'm not really into modding), but I want to bring my own switches and caps. I'm hella casual in this realm and overwhelmed in my attempts to google this.

Budget of $200-250. (That's not counting switches or caps; I have those covered.)

In order of most to least important:

- Hotswap. Must-have.
- Relatively quiet. Something with foam already in the board sounds right.
- Sturdy. Doesn't need to be a tank, but I would hope for this budget that I could find something that doesn't feel cheap or flimsy. (If it checks all the other boxes, a tank is okay.)
- VIA compatible.
- I think I would prefer wired, not wanting to fuss with another battery, but I could be talked into wireless.
- RGB would be nice, but not necessary.

I understand full-size keyboards aren't popular in the mech/DIY world. I could possibly be talked into a TKL + separate numpad, but would greatly prefer one whole device. Thanks in advance, goons!

I am also a full size aficionado - my daily driver is the monsgeek M5 from aliexpress which ticks all those boxes. I swear it's like 10lbs of aluminum.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hell yeah 8bitdo is copying the calculator numpad that ducky used to make

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1795457962724532248

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Lubed linear recommendation: https://en.akkogear.com/product/akko-v3-crystal-pro-switch-45pcs/

They feel buttery smooth out of the box and sound pretty nice too. Not quite as deep as I'd like personally, but they feel great and are at a reasonable price.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

cynic posted:

Photo of the current collection of mechanical keyboard, excluding 3 boring ones that aren't visibly customised, happy to answer any questions on any of it. My wife thinks I'm going through a keyboard-based midlife crisis.

I'd like to ask what the pink keycaps on the leftmost keyboard are. They are quite nice and look nice to type on. :3:

As an aside, I recently discovered this neat little USB adapter that would allow any keyboard to now be VIAL compatible. Seems pretty cool if it does work as promised!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got my wife a Keychron K2V2 with browns and it makes me realize that my old Das Keyboard from 13 years ago is probably an old busted joint by now. She was using it for a day and thought I was playing a joke on her when I said it was the silent version with cherry browns.

On my gaming PC I have a Ducky One Two with cherry reds, buy maybe my WFH rig needs something fresh. I figured cherry browns from yesteryear would be pretty similar to today's modern boards since I think IBM Model Ms are still used? In general terms, where would I expect to see improvements?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

cynic posted:

Where can I get those shiny blue keycaps?

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
Does keychron really not sell the keycaps for the K0 on their website, or am I just dumb?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Framboise posted:

Lubed linear recommendation: https://en.akkogear.com/product/akko-v3-crystal-pro-switch-45pcs/

They feel buttery smooth out of the box and sound pretty nice too. Not quite as deep as I'd like personally, but they feel great and are at a reasonable price.

Would you mind recording the sound?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i got a nuphy halo75 v2. I'm looking for some shinethrough key caps, and apparently the nuphy ones are kinda crap. any recommendations? bonus points for anything that will match up with the nuphy media key markings.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

Would you mind recording the sound?

So the thing is, so many things affect the sound of a keyboard that it's difficult to really record any sound and say "THIS IS WHAT IT WILL SOUND LIKE" because ultimately sound is a combination of switches, keycaps, plate, board case, and deskmat. The type of plastic in your keycaps will affect it, the material and flexibility of your plate will affect it, the shape and material of your board case will affect it (also whether or not you've got any sort of foam/tape/etc in the board to dampen sounds), and so on.

What I'm saying is that a recording of my board wouldn't necessarily reflect what you may get when you use the same switches. That, and I don't have a good mic and would just be recording from my phone lol

There's this though, and I feel like it's kinda close to what I hear when I use those switches? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1my7tZFwNt8

They sound a little deeper on my board, but not as deep as I'd like, because I had heard these same switches in a video and thought I'd get a deep knocky sound out of them.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So, I made a mistake a few months ago and bought a Razeer Black Widow V4, and many of my keys are repeatting. I was hoping to go to the new :siren:CHARLOTTE MICROCENTER :siren: but they keep pushing the fuckere back, so I have eno clue when the bastard is going to open. I was going to go and play on some KBs and find something nicee because they'd probably have a grand opening deeal on it or something. However, this keyboard is starting to piss me off.

Any recommendations on a Cherry Blue/Green 100 keyboard? Want something that will last a bit (Walmart's ONN mechanical keyboard is surprisingly decent, just flaked out aftere a year), doeesn't neeed to be supeer customizable orr anything super-fancy. I do like a backlit keyboard, doesn't have to be color changing and stutff, but I think that's default at this point in time.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ziasquinn posted:

i'm gonna be honest, razer sucks