Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Kibner posted:

It looks slightly better than 1080p upscaled to 1440p, by my eyes. It looks far better than running it natively at 1440p because, for some reason, native 1440p with TAA enabled (iirc) had a whole bunch of jaggies and crawling artifacts that just aren't there with FSR2. Yes, the image is softer and there are some missing fine details, but it looks good enough.

I could also run it on "balanced", but would lose about 10% more performance and the image quality gain wasn't worth it, to me.
Darktide defaults to no anti aliasing on all cards as far as I know, you use dlss or fsr for it and "sharpen" because those are less performance hit nowadays.

I don't see jaggies even without anti aliasing at least, DLSS takes care of it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eager to see how badly From implements this

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1600270157896904704

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s going to be so bad and broken lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From Software doesn't have the best reputation on the technical side of things, but I don't think they'd release a graphical feature that's just ugly broken. That's not something they've done before, and they typically pay extremely close attention to the details to make sure every aspect of their aesthetic is nailed. So I dunno, maybe there will be some performance issues with this, but I'm guessing it won't be a total disaster. The effect will likely be pretty subtle if it's just shadows at AO.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The effect will likely be pretty subtle if it's just shadows at AO.

then again, fromsofts implementation of raster shadowmaps is very poor so perhaps the RT shadows will shine by virtue of how bad the non-RT path is

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

People still rocking the 1060 aren't the market for new AAA games.

This is me. I have a series X, but also need to play Spiderman.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's hard enough to see stuff in elden ring without a torch, but it'll probably be fun just as a tech demo thing. kinda like how people have different reshade settings for gpose screenshos in ff14

at least people with latest-gen gpu's might get a taste of what it's like to fight a boss with my 1070

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
There's a guy at Beyond3D pretty adamant a Navi31 respin is coming. Expects +800MHz for the Radeon 7950s. We should see soon enough.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
We're just barely less than a week away. Anyone have an idea when we're gonna get 7900xtx reviews?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

AARP LARPer posted:

We're just barely less than a week away. Anyone have an idea when we're gonna get 7900xtx reviews?

Probably the day before launch most likely.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
From will probably struggle getting even the most rudimentary form of basic raytracing features implemented with steady & consistent minimum framerates. Will it look good? Probably. But the requirements might be steeper than the usual tacked-on raytracing fare

They really need DLSS/FSR added alongside it and ominously there's been zero mention of either, and zero lines alluding to it in the code where dataminers have been looking

imo From should focus more on the basics, like higher framerates than 60 and better shader compilation

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

imo From should focus more on the basics, like higher framerates than 60 and better shader compilation

This I can agree with 100%. Their engineers' time would be so much better spent improving the fundamentals of the engine.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t even realize they are apparently trying to add Raytracing and not DLSS or FSR lol

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

"Today’s driver release brings a new DX9 implementation to Intel Arc graphics products"

did they start using DXVK instead of the microsoft wrapper
sounds like it

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/12/intel-using-dxvk-part-of-steam-proton-for-their-windows-arc-gpu-dx-9-drivers/

quote:

In their announcement video below, they talk about how they did a "native implementation of DX9" and "there will be times when games are running on our native DX implementation, but there'll be other times when we take advantage of translation layers to go from DX 9 to a more modern API". Their blog post also mentions this hybrid approach, but neither the blog post nor video actually say it's DXVK. You only find that out when you look through their readme, to find the DXVK note and license.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I wish they'd add FSR or tweak some of the low-end stuff. Elden Ring looks great at 4k with everything maxed, but contrary to popular opinion I feel like it runs like rear end on the Steam Deck. I booted it once, saw how crappy everything looked set to low at 30 FPS, and deleted my install.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
unboxing embargo drop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPnqr6-cSo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wendell has a video with the same "it's small" angle. Must've been something AMD wanted to highlight.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
jay's doing the same bit

guess the next talking point is gonna be how $999 is "cheap"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

kliras posted:

jay's doing the same bit

It's not cheap per say, but it's relatively fine because that was the same launch MSRP as the 6900 XT (which can now be found for like $600 new). I think AMD's trying to point out that they boosted performance but not pricing

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nvidias own coolers aren't problematically big unless you're doing SFF, it's the AIBs that went crazy with card length

i wonder if this will end up being a similar story

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Wendell has a video with the same "it's small" angle. Must've been something AMD wanted to highlight.

We're back to the Vega 64 days!

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

kliras posted:

Paul's Hardware did say something along the lines of: The best marketing for this card comes from Nvidia whose $1600 4090 makes this seem reasonably priced.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

nvidias own coolers aren't problematically big unless you're doing SFF, it's the AIBs that went crazy with card length

i wonder if this will end up being a similar story
aib 4080 cards being the same size as 4090 adds to the absurdity. maybe we should have a performance to volume benchmark

gigabyte also seem to struggle with cooling and add the most absurd heatsinks to all their gpu's which still struggle with noise

e: just noticed in the ltt video that there is no rear grill on the 7900 at all; just a solid plate. i thought we weren't doing that anymore

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 8, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

e: just noticed in the ltt video that there is no rear grill on the 7900 at all; just a solid plate. i thought we weren't doing that anymore

the fins on this are oriented such that you wouldn't get any airflow out of the back of the case anyway

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

kliras posted:

aib 4080 cards being the same size as 4090 adds to the absurdity. maybe we should have a performance to volume benchmark

Wait until the 4080 12GB 4070 Ti launches and it's the same size too

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

the fins on this are oriented such that you wouldn't get any airflow out of the back of the case anyway

for once, a card where you won't have to do the skeletonized bracket mod!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good lord

https://videocardz.com/newz/official-radeon-rx-7900-gpu-unboxing-videos-and-articles-are-now-live

airport literature vs compsci textbooks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

outside of the narrow niches of SFF builders and people with too many PCIe cards i don't really see how it being two slots is a selling point

chunkier cards are likely to be quieter under load

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the amd is like 2.3 slots anyway so that's whatever

however, all that plastic and metal costs $

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Portal RTX is out, and it runs nicely on my 3080 better than I thought it would, at least. Portal is still a good game. Have no idea what my actual FPS is because neither MSI Afterburner nor Nvidia's built in tool wanted to work. It felt smooth, however.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

From Software doesn't have the best reputation on the technical side of things, but ...

... they typically pay extremely close attention to the details to make sure every aspect of their aesthetic is nailed.

Apologies for very the selective quotation, but I think you nail it: From pays attention to the art direction more than technology and that's part of what makes their games so memorable. Some of their Demons and post- output isn't as consistently strong (DS2/3 IMHO) but Elden Ring is beautiful.

I too would rather they fixed up frame rates and pacing than add ray tracing to what is already a visual feast for me. But I'm in fanboy territory for these games, considering the original Demons Souls to be one of the greatest games ever made for the risks it took and succeeded at in gameplay and combat, world design, visual design, music (almost avant garde compared to the usual orchestral overdrive in games), the brilliant writing and even more brilliant off-kilter VA which I consider unmatched in voice direction.

Also: ER plays very well and looks great on the Deck post Valve's shader caching; it was even the poster child for this. Recommend using a good set of headphones, it's one of the few games where the speakers drop necessary detail.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

repiv posted:

outside of the narrow niches of SFF builders and people with too many PCIe cards i don't really see how it being two slots is a selling point

chunkier cards are likely to be quieter under load

They're also less wide, and a good number of people complained that the 4090 width made the connector wire smush into the side of their case and probably contributed to poor PCIE power connections

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Portal RTX is out, and it runs nicely on my 3080 better than I thought it would, at least. Portal is still a good game. Have no idea what my actual FPS is because neither MSI Afterburner nor Nvidia's built in tool wanted to work. It felt smooth, however.

the ol' reliable "cl_showfps 1" works, though if you're using DLSS3 keep in mind that's probably the internal FPS before interpolation, the presented FPS will be twice that

you have to install the new driver released today before it will run at all on nvidia

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 8, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the way RTX Remix hooks the game leads to some pretty weird jank, i quickly got into a state where the steam overlay was stuck over the game but didn't respond to inputs so i couldn't close it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

A candle long ago snuffed, but still casting shadows :allears:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My first ATI was an ATI MACH32 VLB card. I played a LOT of unreal tournament and quake on that sucker. Freakin loved it. I seem to remember it costing $280 or $300 bux around maybe 1993ish? Hard to remember.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

Recently I've discovered that my fps in games is terrible after my PC wakes from sleep. I see my 3080 GPU usage is at 99% and my 5800x3d is only at like 10-20%. A restart fixes it.

I recently became able to sleep the PC at all when I put the 5800x3d in about a month ago since before that I'd get a BSOD when waking up but the new CPU fixed that. I can't say for certain if the bad fps started as soon as I upgraded though.

Since it's the GPU that's maxed out I figured I'd ask here first. I'm in Windows 10. Was happening before and after the recent GPU drivers update. It's happening to games across various platforms.

Posted this the other day and someone said to look at my GPU clock speed after going to sleep. It is in fact very low. The GPU clock sits at about 210MHz in game. Actually more in Windows (750MHz). What should I do about that?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KingKapalone posted:

Posted this the other day and someone said to look at my GPU clock speed after going to sleep. It is in fact very low. The GPU clock sits at about 210MHz in game. Actually more in Windows (750MHz). What should I do about that?

FYI, 210 MHz is the desktop idle frequency for most modern nvidia GPUs. Check your windows power plan settings, maybe it is sticking in some power save state after waking from sleep. Also check your global power settings in the nvidia control panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DoombatINC posted:

A candle long ago snuffed, but still casting shadows :allears:

as a canadian there is a little voice in my head that tells me to buy amd gpus to be patriotic still